American Football

ChuckZ

i'm not rubbing it in that you didn't get to watch the game . . but you mean to tell me all your debating comes from reading about it on the internet? talk about reading the cliff notes and pretending you dissected the game film . . :o

Yeh, imagine that. I have to rely on comments of players who played the game and experts who dissect the game instead of Eagle fans who find excuses. I guess you and the people you talk to are the real experts. My mistake.

np, don't let it happen again . . i'm still waiting for some evidence of players or expert analysts who say the botched handoff to westbrook wasn't the most crucial play of the game. also, if you watched the game, you would probably agree . .

here is one of your experts, peter king from SI:

"All that stood between them and beating the best team in football on the road was a botched Donovan McNabb-to-Brian Westbrook handoff with nine minutes left at the Dallas 33, trying to expand on a three-point lead. That's a once- or twice-a-year event, that kind of stupid play, and it shouldn't take away from what the Eagles showed the country in a scintillating football game."

again, it's not an excuse, just what happened. i will say peter king goes a little over when saying "all that stood between them" - Dallas would have had some time left.

enough of this; i'm not debating plays with someone who hasn't watched the game and formed his own opinions . . onto week 3!

No problem although I am at a loss as to why, since you live in the US and have access to games that most of us don't around the world, you would come on a Thailand forum and make comments that only those that can watch the games can discuss them. Do you also go into Latin American forums and make the same claims?

I it is too late for me to edit what I wrote above, so let's just say I retract it. I do wish I had your access to games though, but that is one of the things we give up when we move half way around the world. Moreover, this year our access to televised American football is the worst it has been since I came here. Instead of 4 live games we only get two and both of these are in the middle of the night for us. Instead we are blessed with 6-8 soccer matches on at any time of the day. For me, I would rather watch badminton than soccer (but it is close).

On the game we were discussing, the fumble was huge, simply huge. There is no question about that. However, being a Cowboy fan, I think our defense would have stiffened just like they did the Eagles last two possessions, and kept the Eagles to a FG attempt. I don't think that one play cost the Eagles the game, but we will never know.

On McNabb, I will say the same about him that I said about Romo. Most teams in the NFL would kill to have either of them as their QB.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you guys happen to miss any games, you can download the games with torrents at tenyardtorrents.com. The torrents don't work for me for some odd reason, but they're apparently working for others at the site.

Thanks, but I have also tried that and had the same result you are having.

OMR, I can't recall if you have the advantage of retirement, as I do. If so, I really suggest that you run a test of 'NFL Game Pass'. Remember that, as you said earlier, the games ARE "in the middle of the night" for us. The positive side of that is that it is the time when your internet download speed will be at its' strongest.

I've watched 4 games 'live' during those middle of the night hours, and every one has been crisp and clear. When I watch replays, or NFL Network programs, during afternoon hours, the picture quality is much lower. OK to watch for me, but may be worse if your connection is really poor.

So, why not try a one week subscription to 'NFL Game Pass'? I forget the cost; but it's not outrageous. You can check out the quality one of the midnight games; then catch a few hours of sleep; and see how the quality is for your Cowboys against the Packers, starting at 7:15 Monday morning.

If that one week trial gives you good quality (and I believe it will), you can sign up for the season, and enjoy the best NFL coverage you can get, west of Hawaii!

And don't forget that replay option. This weekend, I have some business to take care of early Monday morning. So, I plan to watch the Patriots game 'live' at midnight; then sleep. I'll do my business, and, when I return, watch the replays of the Eagles-Steelers, and Cowboys-Packers, without knowing the results of either. It'll be "same day delay", and just as good as live for me. (Although I will be going nuts knowing that my Fantasy Football results are already on the internet, and I can't access them until after I see those delayed games!) :-)

If you guys happen to miss any games, you can download the games with torrents at tenyardtorrents.com. The torrents don't work for me for some odd reason, but they're apparently working for others at the site.

Thanks, but I have also tried that and had the same result you are having.

OMR, I can't recall if you have the advantage of retirement, as I do. If so, I really suggest that you run a test of 'NFL Game Pass'. Remember that, as you said earlier, the games ARE "in the middle of the night" for us. The positive side of that is that it is the time when your internet download speed will be at its' strongest.

I've watched 4 games 'live' during those middle of the night hours, and every one has been crisp and clear. When I watch replays, or NFL Network programs, during afternoon hours, the picture quality is much lower. OK to watch for me, but may be worse if your connection is really poor.

So, why not try a one week subscription to 'NFL Game Pass'? I forget the cost; but it's not outrageous. You can check out the quality one of the midnight games; then catch a few hours of sleep; and see how the quality is for your Cowboys against the Packers, starting at 7:15 Monday morning.

If that one week trial gives you good quality (and I believe it will), you can sign up for the season, and enjoy the best NFL coverage you can get, west of Hawaii!

And don't forget that replay option. This weekend, I have some business to take care of early Monday morning. So, I plan to watch the Patriots game 'live' at midnight; then sleep. I'll do my business, and, when I return, watch the replays of the Eagles-Steelers, and Cowboys-Packers, without knowing the results of either. It'll be "same day delay", and just as good as live for me. (Although I will be going nuts knowing that my Fantasy Football results are already on the internet, and I can't access them until after I see those delayed games!) :-)

I am not retired yet, so Monday morning's are out for me. I did access their website twice for the download test as the replays are of interest. However, one time it was a no go and the other (in the morning) it was barely passable. Hence, my reticence to pay for it and then get shut out. Also, it is probably better for my health. The only time I have ever forgotten to take my blood pressure medicine was after the Pokes lost to the Giants last year. I was in shock.

Thanks for the advice though. It is appreciated.

Chargers should be 1-1. Horrible call. Absolutely ridiculously, lose the game for the Chargers horrible.

2nd year in a row, the officials handed one to Denver in Denver the second weekend. Last year my Raiders won the game with a field goal as time expired, then the officials claim Denver called a timeout (BS). Kicker missed on the second one, Denver won in overtime.

This year the call was equally as ludicrous, nobody heard the whistle, game should have been over.

It looks like Jerry Jones isn't through with Hochuli yet as per this article:

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dw...fs.1042aab.html

Shortly before midnight now on Sunday night...

I'm listening to the Raiders hometown radio pregame show on

http://www.ksfo560.com

I'm also watching "The NFL Today" CBS-TV network pre-game show via

the TVU program and its CBS channel out of San Francisco.

Supposedly, the Raiders-Bills game will air on TVU/CBS starting at midnight BKK time.

Edited by jfchandler

!

Whether or not they make it to the Super Bowl, I promise you that teams will have a tough time climbing over them to get there

Too bad Miami didn't buy in to your promise/premise. Ugh, what an ugly loss, at home, ending the Pats regular season winning streak at 21 straight games. Miami was 1-15 last year and won for just the second time in 22 games. Like I said 9-7, will be an amazing achievement for this year's edition of the Pats, even with the easiest schedule (based on last year's records) of any NFL team.

i'm not rubbing it in that you didn't get to watch the game . . but you mean to tell me all your debating comes from reading about it on the internet? talk about reading the cliff notes and pretending you dissected the game film . . :o

Yeh, imagine that. I have to rely on comments of players who played the game and experts who dissect the game instead of Eagle fans who find excuses. I guess you and the people you talk to are the real experts. My mistake.

np, don't let it happen again . . i'm still waiting for some evidence of players or expert analysts who say the botched handoff to westbrook wasn't the most crucial play of the game. also, if you watched the game, you would probably agree . .

here is one of your experts, peter king from SI:

"All that stood between them and beating the best team in football on the road was a botched Donovan McNabb-to-Brian Westbrook handoff with nine minutes left at the Dallas 33, trying to expand on a three-point lead. That's a once- or twice-a-year event, that kind of stupid play, and it shouldn't take away from what the Eagles showed the country in a scintillating football game."

again, it's not an excuse, just what happened. i will say peter king goes a little over when saying "all that stood between them" - Dallas would have had some time left.

enough of this; i'm not debating plays with someone who hasn't watched the game and formed his own opinions . . onto week 3!

No problem although I am at a loss as to why, since you live in the US and have access to games that most of us don't around the world, you would come on a Thailand forum and make comments that only those that can watch the games can discuss them. Do you also go into Latin American forums and make the same claims?

I it is too late for me to edit what I wrote above, so let's just say I retract it. I do wish I had your access to games though, but that is one of the things we give up when we move half way around the world. Moreover, this year our access to televised American football is the worst it has been since I came here. Instead of 4 live games we only get two and both of these are in the middle of the night for us. Instead we are blessed with 6-8 soccer matches on at any time of the day. For me, I would rather watch badminton than soccer (but it is close).

On the game we were discussing, the fumble was huge, simply huge. There is no question about that. However, being a Cowboy fan, I think our defense would have stiffened just like they did the Eagles last two possessions, and kept the Eagles to a FG attempt. I don't think that one play cost the Eagles the game, but we will never know.

On McNabb, I will say the same about him that I said about Romo. Most teams in the NFL would kill to have either of them as their QB.

i'm actually in thailand watching via yahoo nfl gamepass. watching your cowboys go up two scores as i write this

also OMR, after watching the eagles dismantle the steelers offensive line for 9 sacks, i must give the cowboys oline even more props for the way they played last week. it seems they have the best online in football; especially the right side.

I have wanted to say that, but I didn't want to jinx the Cowboys. The NFC East is tough enough as it is.

Patsfangr has mentioned that he is avoiding scores of the Pats/Dolphins until he can watch it tonight. Boy, is he going to be disappointed.

On games between the Cowboys and Eagles, you can pretty much flip a coin. I do expect, however, that both the Cowboys and Eagles will handle the Giants and given that relative ease Dallas handled GB at GB, I think the Cowboys and Eagles will be playing three times this year.

also OMR, after watching the eagles dismantle the steelers offensive line for 9 sacks, i must give the cowboys oline even more props for the way they played last week. it seems they have the best online in football; especially the right side.

I have wanted to say that, but I didn't want to jinx the Cowboys. The NFC East is tough enough as it is.

Patsfangr has mentioned that he is avoiding scores of the Pats/Dolphins until he can watch it tonight. Boy, is he going to be disappointed.

On games between the Cowboys and Eagles, you can pretty much flip a coin. I do expect, however, that both the Cowboys and Eagles will handle the Giants and given that relative ease Dallas handled GB at GB, I think the Cowboys and Eagles will be playing three times this year.

In my opinion, the Cowboys were the best team in the NFC last year. The Giants hit one of those "cycles" that happen to teams now and then; and, luckily for them, it happened at the right time of year.

This year, the Cowboys are still the best team in the NFC. This year, however, I think they are more clearly the best team in the NFL. Barring injuries (the ever present caveat in the NFL), I think they will be the Super Bowl champions. I really hate to say that, since I really dislike Jerry Jones, and hate to see him succeed. But that has nothing to do with what happens on the field, where the Cowboys have a great array of offensive options. I don't think there's a team in the league that can match them this season on that part of their game. They also have a solid, if not "Doomsday" level defense. Their only weak spot is at HC. I don't rate Wade Phillips as the sharpest tool in the shed; and he could cost them a game in the playoffs with a stupid decision in the heat of battle. Barring that, I see a another Lombardi Trophy being added to the Dallas trophy case.

In my opinion, the Cowboys were the best team in the NFC last year. The Giants hit one of those "cycles" that happen to teams now and then; and, luckily for them, it happened at the right time of year.

This year, the Cowboys are still the best team in the NFC. This year, however, I think they are more clearly the best team in the NFL. Barring injuries (the ever present caveat in the NFL), I think they will be the Super Bowl champions. I really hate to say that, since I really dislike Jerry Jones, and hate to see him succeed. But that has nothing to do with what happens on the field, where the Cowboys have a great array of offensive options. I don't think there's a team in the league that can match them this season on that part of their game. They also have a solid, if not "Doomsday" level defense. Their only weak spot is at HC. I don't rate Wade Phillips as the sharpest tool in the shed; and he could cost them a game in the playoffs with a stupid decision in the heat of battle. Barring that, I see a another Lombardi Trophy being added to the Dallas trophy case.

Patsfangr, that is tantamount to the SI cover curse. Why would you do this?

For me, the Cowboys main weakness (other than Phillips) is their secondary. It used to be their O-line plus the secondary, but Parcels put a great deal of effort into the O-line which Phillips has continued with. Now, yes, they have the best O-line in football. However, their secondary still can be improved and in a close game an opposing team can strike quickly. Their defensive backfield will get stronger as they have some new players (Pacman for one), but it isn't there yet. Hence, the importance of the 3-4 to put pressure on the QB, which they have been doing.

easy there . . i will agree there offense is dynamic at this point, but it is still early. dallas has a tendency to fade as the year rolls along. hopefully someone will expose there online at some point throughout the year . . if romo is consistently pressured he isn't the same quarterback; tendency to force plays and make mistakes instead of eating the rock (which has happened in his last two games the few times opposing defenses were able to get to him).

easy there . . i will agree there offense is dynamic at this point, but it is still early. dallas has a tendency to fade as the year rolls along. hopefully someone will expose there online at some point throughout the year . . if romo is consistently pressured he isn't the same quarterback; tendency to force plays and make mistakes instead of eating the rock (which has happened in his last two games the few times opposing defenses were able to get to him).

On where the Cowboys go this year, time will tell, but they have already played two of the toughest teams on their schedule and won them both which is a great way to start the season.

You don't expose an O-line like Dallas has, just like you don't expose another team's great defensive line. They can get injured and not be the same, but if they remain healthy, they are not going to all of a sudden become bad. For Dallas, they traded for Holland (started last year for the Broncos) and he is sitting on the bench. Kosar is now back and his replacement (Proctor) played great against the Browns and the Eagles. Hence, we have two good players sitting on the bench that can help out with injuries, which are a big part of the game.

Romo is Romo and that is one of the reasons he is so exciting to watch. He will force plays, he will make mistakes and he will hit receivers surrounded by defenders for big receptions. That is the type of player he is and he isn't going to change. McNabb has his faults and he hasn't changed. That is a big part of what makes NFL football so exciting to watch.

by exposing their oline, i am talking scheme - effective blitz packages that confuse the cowboys oline and, more importantly, disrupt their offensive flow limiting their big-play attack. a few teams last year did it to the patriots a bit at the end of the year last season after it looked impossible for the first half of the year.

On where the Cowboys go this year, time will tell, but they have already played two of the toughest teams on their schedule and won them both which is a great way to start the season.

You don't expose an O-line like Dallas has, just like you don't expose another team's great defensive line. They can get injured and not be the same, but if they remain healthy, they are not going to all of a sudden become bad. For Dallas, they traded for Holland (started last year for the Broncos) and he is sitting on the bench. Kosar is now back and his replacement (Proctor) played great against the Browns and the Eagles. Hence, we have two good players sitting on the bench that can help out with injuries, which are a big part of the game.

Romo is Romo and that is one of the reasons he is so exciting to watch. He will force plays, he will make mistakes and he will hit receivers surrounded by defenders for big receptions. That is the type of player he is and he isn't going to change. McNabb has his faults and he hasn't changed. That is a big part of what makes NFL football so exciting to watch.

what the ****. OMR, i just replied to your post . . but who knows what happened to what i wrote. basically, when i was talking about exposing the cowboy's online, i was referring to scheme; effective dline stunts, blitz packages and mixed/disguised coverages that would confuse the cowboy's online and, more importantly, disrupt the flow of their big-play offense. a few teams were able to do it to the patriots a bit at the end of last year after it looked impossible midway through the season - some team will be able to get to romo at some point throughout the season and give other teams somewhat of a "blueprint" to be more effective against the cowboy's great online and dynamic offense.

what the ****. OMR, i just replied to your post . . but who knows what happened to what i wrote. basically, when i was talking about exposing the cowboy's online, i was referring to scheme; effective dline stunts, blitz packages and mixed/disguised coverages that would confuse the cowboy's online and, more importantly, disrupt the flow of their big-play offense. a few teams were able to do it to the patriots a bit at the end of last year after it looked impossible midway through the season - some team will be able to get to romo at some point throughout the season and give other teams somewhat of a "blueprint" to be more effective against the cowboy's great online and dynamic offense.

Actually, Troy Aikman earlier this year said the Giants are openly telling everyone that they have the secret to beat Romo and the Cowboys. It is to jam the Cowboys wideouts at the line of scrimmage and then put pressure on Romo. The other announcer laughed and said isn't this the normal game plan for every team in the NFL? The difference of course is that in the playoffs last year, the Giants could do it. This year, they have lost their two best starters on their d-line which will make this effort much more difficult. Also, the Cowboys are a better team this year.

On Sunday night, the Packers jammed Dallas' receivers and blitzed Romo all night, sacking him 3 times. Romo did not have a good game against the Pack and he was the first to admit it, but the Cowboys still got 22 first downs, net 217 rushing and net 236 passing. It was a grind it out type of game, but they won by 11 after giving the Pack a garbage TD with 2 minutes left in the game. The Cowboys simply have a lot of talent other than just Romo and they are tough to beat. Still, they will lose sometime during the season, and probably more than once. It is a long season.

As noted earlier, I can't stand Jerry Jones. But, IMO, the Cowboys are one of the most exciting teams in the NFL to watch. I believe that my Patriots were in that same category before Brady went down. I'd also add the Chargers, with a healthy LT and Gates, to that group. The Colts should be, but they are ruined by the whining of Manning and Dungy, at least for me.

Who would you guys add to that list?

George

As noted earlier, I can't stand Jerry Jones. But, IMO, the Cowboys are one of the most exciting teams in the NFL to watch. I believe that my Patriots were in that same category before Brady went down. I'd also add the Chargers, with a healthy LT and Gates, to that group. The Colts should be, but they are ruined by the whining of Manning and Dungy, at least for me.

George

At the risk of appearing nice to Eagle's fans, the Eagles are a lot of fun to watch. Almost beating the Cowboys and then sacking Roethlisberger 9 times and destroying one of the best teams in the AFL, this has to be another fun team to watch. They can beat any team (almost).

George

At the risk of appearing nice to Eagle's fans, the Eagles are a lot of fun to watch. Almost beating the Cowboys and then sacking Roethlisberger 9 times and destroying one of the best teams in the AFL, this has to be another fun team to watch. They can beat any team (almost).

You should try watching the chiefs wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww we are as good as ever this season :o:D

You should try watching the chiefs wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww we are as good as ever this season :o:D

OUCH! Yes, these are tough times for the Chiefs. But remember that there are many teams in the NFL that have NEVER had a period of "glory years". The Chiefs did. My Patriots were the laughing stock of the NFL for much of their first 41 years. Then came Belichick, and the 3 SB wins. A stretch of great seasons is something that true fans of a team never forget.

George

oh . . you had to go ruin your post with that (almost) didn't you :o .

on a side note, i will put the eagles in that category as well - especially when kevin curtis comes back and the eagles have two speedy receivers to stretch the defense; suprisingly, curtis may play next week against the redskins as he is recovering quicly from his sports hernia. of course, this all depends on westbrook and mcnabb staying healthy after they got nicked up on consective plays last week . . looked worse than it was though, mcnabb should play this week while westbrook might miss just a game. talk about the walls closing in . . temporary insanity

i used to put seattle in that category. i thought arizona and cleveland might be exciting to watch on O, but their onlines are still a bit suspect - not sold on their quarterback play either. i expected more from derek anderson so far this year.

Edited by qwunk89

OUCH! Yes, these are tough times for the Chiefs. But remember that there are many teams in the NFL that have NEVER had a period of "glory years". The Chiefs did. My Patriots were the laughing stock of the NFL for much of their first 41 years. Then came Belichick, and the 3 SB wins. A stretch of great seasons is something that true fans of a team never forget.

No doubt, At least we have won a super bowl yeeeehaaaaaa :D:D and LJ and Tony G still going strong. I think our management are a bunch of idots though, how can you trade ya leading player in sacks for last season and then not expect problems the next ?

College update. USC lost to Oregon State in Corvallis yet again. Four out of the last six they've lost there. Can they still get to the championship game now?

saw that . . upsets don't get much better than that, right? oregon is good, but oregon state is mediocre at best, right? wow, good for the beavers! i bet their getting mad beaver at the frat parties this weekend in Corvallis . .