American Football

ChuckZ

From the Cowboys, I see the same problem as last year, only it was Owens and now it is Austin. Garrett does not want Romo throwing into double coverage and now that Austin is double covered (like Owens last year), Romo is looking elsewhere (Williams). He can't run patterns, he got nudged in the open field and fumbled and on a a big 3rd down in the 4th quarter, Romo's pass went through his hands and hit him in the facemask! I kid you not. The pass hit him in the face.

Yes, I saw that game, OMR. Roy Williams has been one of the biggest busts in the NFL in recent years, considering the hype he had coming out of Texas. Every year, while he was with Detroit, I kept expecting THAT to be "the year". It never was. "OK", I thought, Detroit sucks. No QB. When he went to the Cowboys, I really thought he'd have a great season. But it's been more of the same. He's a bust!

But you have to be really up about the performance of the D, OMR. You've been saying since before the season started that their D would suck. It's a long way up to where they are from "suck". They're playing very well, and, as the RBs get healthy, and IF Romo doesn't do his usual December el-foldo, they have a great chance in the playoffs. Much, much better than what you expected.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the Pats had punted the Colts would have scored anyway, which is probably why Coach B chose to go for it. Turning the ball over twice in/near the end zone in the 3rd quarter was the death knell. Still a fun game to watch. The Pats rank at the near bottom of the league in red zone efficiency. Let's hope they can bounce back; a pretty easy schedule so 12-4 seems reasonable. Would have been nice to play the AFC championship game at home, against the Colts/Steelers in inclement weather.

PLEASE HELP!

Guys, I just sent the note below to ASN. I know that most of those who post to this thread are regular watchers of this great network; and I'm equally certain that all of you are dealing with the same sound problems that I've detailed in the note. Please help get their attention on this by copying my note, with or without added comments, and sending it to them at [email protected]. I KNOW that they receive and read the notes sent to them, because I nearly always get a reply that is clearly more than a "form letter".

So please, let's work together to rattle their chain enough to get them to FIX this. As I said in my note, I'm sure that an experienced TV sound engineer could do so. Please send them a note, asking them to address the issue.

Thanks!

From the Cowboys, I see the same problem as last year, only it was Owens and now it is Austin. Garrett does not want Romo throwing into double coverage and now that Austin is double covered (like Owens last year), Romo is looking elsewhere (Williams). He can't run patterns, he got nudged in the open field and fumbled and on a a big 3rd down in the 4th quarter, Romo's pass went through his hands and hit him in the facemask! I kid you not. The pass hit him in the face.

Yes, I saw that game, OMR. Roy Williams has been one of the biggest busts in the NFL in recent years, considering the hype he had coming out of Texas. Every year, while he was with Detroit, I kept expecting THAT to be "the year". It never was. "OK", I thought, Detroit sucks. No QB. When he went to the Cowboys, I really thought he'd have a great season. But it's been more of the same. He's a bust!

But you have to be really up about the performance of the D, OMR. You've been saying since before the season started that their D would suck. It's a long way up to where they are from "suck". They're playing very well, and, as the RBs get healthy, and IF Romo doesn't do his usual December el-foldo, they have a great chance in the playoffs. Much, much better than what you expected.

I agree, it is much, much better than I expected. I thought 8-8 was the best we could do and now at 6-3 I expect more. The biggest change on the defense (that I have seen) was when Sensibaugh came back after the bye (a former Jaguar). He is a hitter who can cover tight ends. With him in the lineup, he makes it much tougher to run on the Cowboys.

Another big pick up this year, for you USC fans, is David Buelher. He ran a 4.57 at the combine and not only can put his kickoffs in the endzone, he is in on many tackles for the special teams. He had two tackles against the Eagles.

Still, what the Pats have over the Cowboys and every other team is coaching. You may rag on Bellicheck for his calls in the Colts game, but he is heads and shoulders better than any coach the Cowboys have. If Bellicheck was coaching the Cowboys, then we would really have a good shot at the superbowl. Right now, we don't have a prayer.

I agree, it is much, much better than I expected. I thought 8-8 was the best we could do and now at 6-3 I expect more. The biggest change on the defense (that I have seen) was when Sensibaugh came back after the bye (a former Jaguar). He is a hitter who can cover tight ends. With him in the lineup, he makes it much tougher to run on the Cowboys.

Another big pick up this year, for you USC fans, is David Buelher. He ran a 4.57 at the combine and not only can put his kickoffs in the endzone, he is in on many tackles for the special teams. He had two tackles against the Eagles.

Still, what the Pats have over the Cowboys and every other team is coaching. You may rag on Bellicheck for his calls in the Colts game, but he is heads and shoulders better than any coach the Cowboys have. If Bellicheck was coaching the Cowboys, then we would really have a good shot at the superbowl. Right now, we don't have a prayer.

As I said in my comments about the Pats-Colts game, OMR, Bill Belichick IS the best coach the Patriots have ever had; AND among the best coaches in the history of the NFL. Screwing up one game (which he did) doesn't change that long term record. There is no one that I would rather have coaching my team. I just hope that he accepts the fact that he failed in his preparation for that last series, and allowed his coaches and his team to become confused and uncoordinated. I hope he identifies the reason why that happened, and prevents it from happening again.

SEC CHAMPIONSHIP "LIVE" ON ASN NEXT SUNDAY MORNING!

OK, I know that 04:00 is an ungodly hour to be watching a football game. I do it almost every weekend for NFL games; but I'm not right in the head when it comes to the NFL! Most of you are probably happy to see the 08:00 games 'live', and watch replays of the 'overnighters'.

But next Sunday there's a game that should be worth the loss of a little sleep (or rescheduling) to watch 'live'. ASN will be televising the SEC Championship between Alabama and Florida, starting at 04:00. This one could be an all-time classic, with two undefeated teams, and the greatest player in the history of the University of Florida, QB Tim Tebow, as the headliner. It should be a fantastic game; and I will definitely be going to bed a little early on Saturday night, to get up at 03:30 or so to watch it.

Yes, it will be replayed that evening. But it's just not the same for me. I'm sure the results will be all over the internet, and likely even mentioned in some emails from friends. I do NOT want to accidentally see the result of this one before watching it. Those of you who really enjoy the best of NCAA football should put a reminder on your calendars now to plan for the early rising on Sunday morning for this great game!

SEC CHAMPIONSHIP "LIVE" ON ASN NEXT SUNDAY MORNING!

OK, I know that 04:00 is an ungodly hour to be watching a football game. I do it almost every weekend for NFL games; but I'm not right in the head when it comes to the NFL! Most of you are probably happy to see the 08:00 games 'live', and watch replays of the 'overnighters'.

But next Sunday there's a game that should be worth the loss of a little sleep (or rescheduling) to watch 'live'. ASN will be televising the SEC Championship between Alabama and Florida, starting at 04:00. This one could be an all-time classic, with two undefeated teams, and the greatest player in the history of the University of Florida, QB Tim Tebow, as the headliner. It should be a fantastic game; and I will definitely be going to bed a little early on Saturday night, to get up at 03:30 or so to watch it.

Yes, it will be replayed that evening. But it's just not the same for me. I'm sure the results will be all over the internet, and likely even mentioned in some emails from friends. I do NOT want to accidentally see the result of this one before watching it. Those of you who really enjoy the best of NCAA football should put a reminder on your calendars now to plan for the early rising on Sunday morning for this great game!

I agree and I have been waiting for this game. Arguably, the SEC is the toughest conference in the nation (the SEC has won the last 3 straight BCS championships). This should be a great game and of course Tebow's next to last game at the collegiate level.

Brees was deadly killer. Looked the same as when I saw him totally destroy the Raiders secondary in a game sometime back. Pretty amazing how he can make defenses look SO bad!!!!

Brady looked pretty weak, both on his own terms, and certainly by comparison. I've been him play in lots of games, and this one certainly had to rank among not his best. And made more curious by the fact that NO's secondary was filled with a bunch of substitutes and late arrivers... not even close to their first string.

Everybody has a bad day now and then. But if that's what it was, Brady sure picked a bad day to have his.

PS - I watched the UCLA v. USC game on TV the other day, and a very good match between two freshmen quarterbacks. It make me think, jeez, either of these guys/kids would be better quarterbacks in the NFL at their current age/skill set than the now benched wonder Jamarcus Russell of the Raiders...

That, and Michael Crabtree of the 49ers is looking pretty darned good, despite his late arrival to the team this season. A total opposite in performance to the Raiders lame picks like Darrius Heyward-Bey and J. Walker. YUCK!!!!

Brees was deadly killer. Looked the same as when I saw him totally destroy the Raiders secondary in a game sometime back. Pretty amazing how he can make defenses look SO bad!!!!

Brady looked pretty weak, both on his own terms, and certainly by comparison. I've been him play in lots of games, and this one certainly had to rank among not his best. And made more curious by the fact that NO's secondary was filled with a bunch of substitutes and late arrivers... not even close to their first string.

Everybody has a bad day now and then. But if that's what it was, Brady sure picked a bad day to have his.

PS - I watched the UCLA v. USC game on TV the other day, and a very good match between two freshmen quarterbacks. It make me think, jeez, either of these guys/kids would be better quarterbacks in the NFL at their current age/skill set than the now benched wonder Jamarcus Russell of the Raiders...

That, and Michael Crabtree of the 49ers is looking pretty darned good, despite his late arrival to the team this season. A total opposite in performance to the Raiders lame picks like Darrius Heyward-Bey and J. Walker. YUCK!!!!

I saw J Russell play in college against first class SEC teams and he was the best QB out there. You can't compare any of these college QB's with any pro QB's until the kids get there. The speed of the game is so fast that even the best players in the NFL will tell you that was the biggest shock to them when they first started. I remember Michael Irvin saying at Miami he would catch the ball, turn and run, but in the pro's he would catch the ball and be slammed to the ground before he could even think about turning. Over time, the good ones like Irvin adapt. Russell is not adapting.

As for the Saints/Pats, I think Bellichick said it best when he said, over and over, that the Saints are simply a better team.

As for the Saints/Pats, I think Bellichick said it best when he said, over and over, that the Saints are simply a better team.

You are absolutely correct, OMR. This is not an "elite" Patriots team this year. There are several reasons; but why bore everybody with them. The simple fact that they are an above average, but not championship caliber, team is enough said. The Saints are the best team in the NFL in 2009; with the Colts second, and the Vikings 3rd. The "Any Given Sunday" rule always applies, of course. But overall, and over the course of the season, those teams are 1-2-3. Everybody else, including my Patriots, is in a pack behind them.

You are absolutely correct, OMR. This is not an "elite" Patriots team this year. There are several reasons; but why bore everybody with them. The simple fact that they are an above average, but not championship caliber, team is enough said. The Saints are the best team in the NFL in 2009; with the Colts second, and the Vikings 3rd. The "Any Given Sunday" rule always applies, of course. But overall, and over the course of the season, those teams are 1-2-3. Everybody else, including my Patriots, is in a pack behind them.

Unfortunately, my Cowboys will also visit New Orleans later this month. For Sean Payton, it is always special to meet the Cowboys, since he was QB coach and Asst. Head Coach of the Cowboys. He developed Tony Romo, who like Payton, graduated from that football powerhouse at Eastern Illinois University. In fact, when he first went to the Saints, Payton tried to trade a second round draft pick to the Cowboys for Romo, but Parcells wouldn't bite.

I still maintain that had Romo gone to the Saints he would be many times more successful than now, as he is now under the control of Jason Garrett who has tried to make Romo into the type of QB that Garrett couldn't become and that Romo should never try to become. Romo will never have success being an upright, pocket QB. Romo is far more accurate and dangerous when he is on the move. If you saw Brees last night, that is what you saw. Payton (who was also the Eagles QB coach) knows how to coach QB's that are mobile. Garrett doesn't have a clue.

Interesting games and times:

Thursday Night Football (NFLN): Colts vs Jags Friday, Dec. 18, 2009 at 8:20 AM

Saturday Night Football (NFLN): Dallas at New Orleans, Sunday morning Dec. 20, 2009 at 8:20 AM

The Pats are hanging in, barely. Brady is pretty banged up. Now expect them to be one and done in the playoffs (if having to play at DEN, again). The Chargers are making another great late season run, having won eight in a row.

Saturday Night Football (NFLN): Dallas at New Orleans, Sunday morning Dec. 20, 2009 at 8:20 AM

The Pats are hanging in, barely. Brady is pretty banged up. Now expect them to be one and done in the playoffs (if having to play at DEN, again). The Chargers are making another great late season run, having won eight in a row.

It's still entirely possible that the Patriots could be one and done, if they win the AFC East. However, if that happens, Denver would play AT NE, since the Broncos will be a Wild Card team. No home games for any Wild Card team in the Playoffs.

As for the two games you listed, ASN will be broadcasting both, according to their online schedule. Repeat after me, NFL fans ... I LOVE ASN! I LOVE ASN! I LOVE ASN! Despite their continuing failure to properly control the changes in audio volume, they have my gratitude for bringing us more NFL coverage that we have ever before had in Thailand!

It's still entirely possible that the Patriots could be one and done, if they win the AFC East. However, if that happens, Denver would play AT NE, since the Broncos will be a Wild Card team. No home games for any Wild Card team in the Playoffs.

As for the two games you listed, ASN will be broadcasting both, according to their online schedule. Repeat after me, NFL fans ... I LOVE ASN! I LOVE ASN! I LOVE ASN! Despite their continuing failure to properly control the changes in audio volume, they have my gratitude for bringing us more NFL coverage that we have ever before had in Thailand!

I will second that!

I'll third that... HURRAY for ASN... despite its somewhat minor flaws and failings....

These days it's more like NFL heaven in Thailand, compared to the parched desert of the past...

I'll watch all 5 or so games ASN broadcasts each week, and see the others I like or want via online...

But now I'm wondering, I'm gonna have a lot more free time after January... unless I decide to take a greater interest in the NBA... :)

I'll third that... HURRAY for ASN... despite its somewhat minor flaws and failings....

These days it's more like NFL heaven in Thailand, compared to the parched desert of the past...

I'll watch all 5 or so games ASN broadcasts each week, and see the others I like or want via online...

But now I'm wondering, I'm gonna have a lot more free time after January... unless I decide to take a greater interest in the NBA... :D

Aww, c'mon now, JF. There are other games you can play in BKK to keep you busy! :)

But now I'm wondering, I'm gonna have a lot more free time after January... unless I decide to take a greater interest in the NBA... :D

Aww, c'mon now, JF. There are other games you can play in BKK to keep you busy! :)

If you're man enough, you can enjoy 1st down, 2nd down, 3rd down, and 4th down. You can include lots of play action, try to go deep, and can even enjoy some of the penalties - like illegal use of hands, and holding! :D:D

NFL Network's 'Total Access' show is a "DON'T MISS" for me. (Another big "THANK YOU!" to ASN!) How many agree with me that Charles Davis does a good job on NFL Network? I think he's one of the best of the former players who have moved to analyst jobs. Trent Green is pretty good too. I also like Rod Woodson's work. I get some giggles out of Jamie Dukes; although he's a little over the top for me, at times.

Overall, I like the guys that NFL Network has hired. What opinions are there out there on the NFL Network crew?

George

Thanks for clarifying that; I assumed both teams would finish with the same record and because the Pats lost to Denver this season (in Denver) they (Denver) would be the higher seed and host the wild-card game (not realizing the importance of the Divisional crowns). Denver has an obviously huge advantage at home, so the Pats should be favorites at home. Winning the AFC East is paramount, without that the Pats might miss the playoffs again. Winning their last three games, and going 11-5 will secure the AFC East but with two more road games (1-5 record away from Foxboro) and at least two challenging opponents, 10-6 seems more likely.

FWIW I am a very casual fan. Even in the U.S. I probably only watched one full game (parts of several games) each weekend. Here in Thailand I average less than that, in part due to the timing of the Sunday afternoon games. Obviously with the playoffs my averages will go up. And I'll be in the U.S. for the last weekend of the regular season (week 17; all games on Sunday, January 3, 2010), so will be glued to the TV as the playoff picture finalizes.

• 2 weeks later...