American Football

ChuckZ

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The season went too quick. Most of us (those of us that don't root for every team in the NFL) will be watching other teams play in the Championship games. It was a great season. The games coming up will be fun to watch.

I will NOT be watching the Colts-Jets game. I have very strong feelings against both franchises; so the result is of no interest to me.

I will enjoy watching the Saints-Vikings game; and will be rooting for the Saints. But whichever team wins, I will be enthusiastically rooting for that team to win the Super Bowl.

But, when it comes down to it, my priority now is watching the daily news from New England to see what changes they make in their coaching staff. I'm hoping for significant upgrades to the offensie staff, starting with an experienced and successful Offensive Coordinator; as well as the hiring of a similarly experienced and successful Defensive Coordinator.

I want an end to the "Belichick Coaching Academy" that's been going on since the breakup of the "Three Amigos" (Belichick, Weis, and Crennel) after the team's last Super Bowl win in February of 2005. Belichick has been promoting kids with little or no experience in coaching into various positions in the staff, and trying to micro-manage everything on both sides of the ball. While the team hasn't slipped down to challenge for the title of "worst in the league", they have clearly slipped well below the level of deserving to be counted among the "elite" teams of the league.

I want to see my Patriots return to that elite level. I know that Belichick has the ability to coach them back to that level; but he needs to recognize that he can't do it alone, and put more authority into the hands of highly qualified coaches to lead the offense and the defense.

There are also a number of changes required on the roster. A better run-blocking OL; a deeper WR corps; a couple of real play makers on defense; are all critically needed. Along with that, they need find some leaders among the players, having lost the heart of the team with the retirements of Bruschi and Harrison, and the departures of Vrable and Seymour.

So there's a lot of work to be done for my Patriots. That's where most of my attention, and my hopes, will be focused from now on.

Loyalty to a struggling friend (or team) is always a beautiful thing, but it's time for my Panthers to give Delhomme the old heave-ho.

Since I've lived most of my life without a home team -- the Panthers are new kids -- I've historically cheered for three of the finalists, and the underdog lover in me wants to cheer for that fourth finalist, so it's all good. There ARE only three Ryans.

Oh, and my Panthers don't want Ron Mexico. Not only is there a bad "cats and dogs" joke waiting to be told, but if we wanted an inaccurate thrower, we'd keep Delhomme. I forgive Vick for the dog thing, even though I love dogs more than I do people. But he's as inaccurate a thrower as I am and he has a lower Wonderlic score. Unforgiveable.

Edited by Calico

Loyalty to a struggling friend (or team) is always a beautiful thing, but it's time for my Panthers to give Delhomme the old heave-ho.

Since I've lived most of my life without a home team -- the Panthers are new kids -- I've historically cheered for three of the finalists, and the underdog lover in me wants to cheer for that fourth finalist, so it's all good. There ARE only three Ryans.

Oh, and my Panthers don't want Ron Mexico. Not only is there a bad "cats and dogs" joke waiting to be told, but if we wanted an inaccurate thrower, we'd keep Delhomme. I forgive Vick for the dog thing, even though I love dogs more than I do people. But he's as inaccurate a thrower as I am and he has a lower Wonderlic score. Unforgiveable.

I have to agree with you, Calico. Delhomme is not going to lead the Panthers to another Super Bowl. I only saw 3 Panthers' games this year; but that was enough to convince me that he's done. I hope they find a QB for their future during this off-season; whether it's from another team, or from the Draft.

The season went too quick. Most of us (those of us that don't root for every team in the NFL) will be watching other teams play in the Championship games. It was a great season. The games coming up will be fun to watch.

I will NOT be watching the Colts-Jets game. I have very strong feelings against both franchises; so the result is of no interest to me.

I will enjoy watching the Saints-Vikings game; and will be rooting for the Saints. But whichever team wins, I will be enthusiastically rooting for that team to win the Super Bowl.

But, when it comes down to it, my priority now is watching the daily news from New England to see what changes they make in their coaching staff. I'm hoping for significant upgrades to the offensie staff, starting with an experienced and successful Offensive Coordinator; as well as the hiring of a similarly experienced and successful Defensive Coordinator.

I want an end to the "Belichick Coaching Academy" that's been going on since the breakup of the "Three Amigos" (Belichick, Weis, and Crennel) after the team's last Super Bowl win in February of 2005. Belichick has been promoting kids with little or no experience in coaching into various positions in the staff, and trying to micro-manage everything on both sides of the ball. While the team hasn't slipped down to challenge for the title of "worst in the league", they have clearly slipped well below the level of deserving to be counted among the "elite" teams of the league.

I want to see my Patriots return to that elite level. I know that Belichick has the ability to coach them back to that level; but he needs to recognize that he can't do it alone, and put more authority into the hands of highly qualified coaches to lead the offense and the defense.

There are also a number of changes required on the roster. A better run-blocking OL; a deeper WR corps; a couple of real play makers on defense; are all critically needed. Along with that, they need find some leaders among the players, having lost the heart of the team with the retirements of Bruschi and Harrison, and the departures of Vrable and Seymour.

So there's a lot of work to be done for my Patriots. That's where most of my attention, and my hopes, will be focused from now on.

Bellichick is the best coach in the NFL. I think you can rest easy that Bellichick will make sure that next year the Pats will be highly competitive no matter what it takes.

I would like to see the Saints take it all this year. From the AFC I hope it is Indy as I hate to see any relative of Buddy Ryan do well (sorry Q).

According to the Truevisions on-line schedule both of these (AFC & NFC Championship) games will be on both ASN and TrueSport 4.

NY Jets at Ind Colts Monday 3:00 AM

Minn Vikings at NO Saints Monday 6:30 AM

You've got to respect the Colts and Manning for the job they did this year, not much of a running game, new head coach and new receivers. The defense knows Manning is going to pass butt hey still are hard-pressed to stop him. Easily the best QB ever (wins and stats, to date; more wins in the 2000's than the Pats).

According to the Truevisions on-line schedule both of these (AFC & NFC Championship) games will be on both ASN and TrueSport 4.

NY Jets at Ind Colts Monday 3:00 AM

Minn Vikings at NO Saints Monday 6:30 AM

You've got to respect the Colts and Manning for the job they did this year, not much of a running game, new head coach and new receivers. The defense knows Manning is going to pass butt hey still are hard-pressed to stop him. Easily the best QB ever (wins and stats, to date; more wins in the 2000's than the Pats).

And how about Playoff wins, and Super Bowl appearances and wins, Tony? :-)

By the way, last week, I tried switching from ASN to TrueSport 4 during the games. I found that the sound was consistently better on TS 4. Just a suggestion.

Any Vikings fans out there? I haven't heard Prince's fight song yet, but I nonetheless felt inspired to write my own. Based on a Prince tune, naturally.

Let's go crazy

Let's get nuts

Go to New Orleans

Kick the Saints in the butt

Thank you. Thank you very much. Is anybody else getting daily spam offering discounts on Vicodin? Who do they think I am, Brett Favre?

Any Vikings fans out there? I haven't heard Prince's fight song yet, but I nonetheless felt inspired to write my own. Based on a Prince tune, naturally.

Let's go crazy

Let's get nuts

Go to New Orleans

Kick the Saints in the butt

Thank you. Thank you very much. Is anybody else getting daily spam offering discounts on Vicodin? Who do they think I am, Brett Favre?

A little mild for a rough, tough, NFL fan, isn't it, Calico? How about this instead:

Let's go crazy

No ifs ands or buts

Go to New Orleans

Kick the Saints in the nuts!

Congrats to the Colts and Saints. Looking forward to the match-up in Miami in two weeks.

Peyton Manning was incredible, as usual, shredding the Jets' league-leading pass defense (and total defense) with a great performance.

Drew Brees looked a bit lost for a lot of the game; the Saints were fortunate that the Vikings basically coughed up the game to them in the form of turn-overs.

hey OMR,

now that you're done talking smack after your first playoff victory in the last decade . . where are your boys at now? you should have let us play the vikes if you were gonna blow your wad like that in the wildcard game.

You weren't good enough. Simple as that. If you were good enough, then you would have at least beat the Cowboys once this season, but you didn't. You weren't good enough. Better luck next year.

Congrats to the Colts and Saints. Looking forward to the match-up in Miami in two weeks.

Peyton Manning was incredible, as usual, shredding the Jets' league-leading pass defense (and total defense) with a great performance.

Drew Brees looked a bit lost for a lot of the game; the Saints were fortunate that the Vikings basically coughed up the game to them in the form of turn-overs.

The Colts have opened up 4 points favorite. The Saints caused the Vikings to cough up the game in the form of turn-overs, the Vikings just didn't drop the ball. They really did a job on Favre.

Who Dat?!

My heart says New Orleans but my mind says Indianapolis. Last week exposed some things in the Saints defense that Computer Head Manning will be very much aware of. If I were back in the US in my prognosticating prime, where it was investing not gambling, I'd just keep my money in my wallet and cheer for my Aints.

(With all that babbling out of the way, Colts 27-17 sounds right to me. Or maybe more points on both sides but with the 10-point difference.)

Edited by Calico

Anyone want to hazard a guess on the SB? I am guessing Indy 27, Saints 17. I am pulling for the Saints (NFC) and would love to be wrong.

saints lead 21-17 going into halftime, game ends 38-31 colts after a last minute TD drive by Peyton Manning and the colts offense

bold, i know :) , but the colts have the best half-time analysis in the league, IMHO, and it will win the game for them

So far, all of us are picking the Colts. I keep thinking about how Brees' passes late in the Championship Game kept fluttering. The announcers were picking up on it as the same receivers that one after another were making catches most of the game all of a sudden were all having difficulty holding on to his passes. It was crunch time and the pressure was catching up to Brees. He is a great QB, but crunch time is difficult when you are not used to it (Manning is). Remember, against the one team that could end their perfect season, the Cowboys shut Brees out for most of the game and got him to fumble on the Saints final drive. These were high pressure times. Now, imagine what it will be like in the SB.

I'm wondering if American football is shown much on TV there? Is it broadcat on regular TV? Cable TV? Avaiable on satelite? I would like to be able to watch it from my apt.

And another question. How expensive is cable tv or a satelite?

Thanks,

Chuck

ESPN Intenational is carried on UBC, the only cable system availablle here. In past years, ESPN has generally carried most Sunday night and Monday night football games live, which puts them on out here about eight on the following morning. Occasionallly they repeat the games in the evenings, occasionaly they don't. The biggest problem in trying to watch football in Thailand is that the announced schedules are frequently unreliable and the games will not be carried live or repeated when scheduled, but will appear at some other and totally unannounced time.

In addition to ESPN, one of the Star sports channels (also carried by UBC) has also carried live football in the past, usually two of the Sunday afternoon games from the networks, which puts the games to air out here in the wee hours of the morning. Like ESPN, sometimes they are repeated, sometimes not. Regardless, if you have a VCR, you just tape them and play them back at your leisure.

As for the cost of UBC, I'm not absolutely sure since thankfully I don't pay the bills around here. I seem to recall it's something like B1000 per month or something like that.

------------

Regarding original question -- where to view Super Bowl on Monday, 8 Feb -- at 0600 or so -- Bourbon Street on Washington Square -- Roadhouse on corner of Suriwong and Rama IV -- and other bars seem to be open for this game -- better make reservations, as usually crowded! Good luck! Sorry if I put this post in the wrong spot! Also TRUE chan 4 is supposed to show it?? But one never knows! Better get in touch with one of the bars which REALLY CARES! JD

The Big Mango Bar off Suk Soi 4 (Nana) also sent out an email and posted to their web site that they'll be open early that morning with their kitchen and happy hour drink specials (at that hour???) for the big game... Me.... I'll just settle for an orange juice at home and ASN, at least until 8 am... :)