Opening A Bar/ Guesthouse In Pattaya...Advice Please

i want to call the guesthouse , bar the ( big budda bar) selling drink , and will resturaunt in day and 3-4 ladies working at nite plus 12 rental rooms, is the name ( big budda ) ok ? i do not want cause offence, my thai wife seems to think its ok , we will have lots of budda statues and pictures etc, just need advice on this ?

in uk we have budda bar , resturaunt etc but just want to know what many thai people think , its just a name.

if not suitable then i will think of another

Well I'm not Thai nor a Buddhist but I do like a beer so can offer my opinion. I have known two Buddha style bars, one in KL and one in the UK, and I have to admit I am not comfortable with the Buddha images adorning a place of alcohol consumption.

Personally, if it were me, I'd choose another name and theme. Would you go to a pub in the UK decked out in statues of Mary and Jesus?

Just my 500 Dong's worth.

I would call it "Escape'. You would need lots of sound insulating material to keep the noise out from the neighbors (if you have loud ones). Play music so that people still can talk to eachother. Close the entrance so you can have clean and cool air. Have no prostitutes, free-lancers on the prowl.

'Escape' from noise overload, air pollution, heat, bargirls and have a nice relaxing time.

I would go there. :)

As I understand it you cannot use the word Buddha in Thailand for commercial purposes.

On Samui we had the BBC (Big Buddha Cafe) - now it is just BBC. The owner was told to remove reference to Buddha.

We also had the Big Buddha Guest House. It now has a different name.

Perhaps another name would save you angst? :whistling:

I'm sure i've seen a sign for "The Buddha Bar" somewhere around in Bangkok i just can't remember which street it was on...so i guess it's "doable"...

Not sure about the "statues of Buddha", i guess it depends in what way they are used. If they just a background item might be ok. If you are interacting with them (ie Buddha ash trays, or Buddha beer mugs...probably a bad idea)

Post #5 says it all. Not an option.

How about 'The Temple' as in, "OK love, I am just off out to the temple.... see you later." or, "Why are you so angry tilac? I have only been at the temple all day."

Or if you insist on religious connotations, 'The Sanctuary of Pis'

Or the rather catchy 'Monks'

Or 'The Priory'

Edited by NanLaew

Big Budda is an area in samui,so it's definitely doable.I give ya 1 word of advice.Don't put more into the business that you can afford to lose.There are people who just flip businesses for A living.Naturally they buy low and sell high.Good luck

I know of at least two businesses with the word Buddha in it. I also tried to register my company with the word Buddha but was told it's not allowed but ok to use in trading name. There is no offense taken by the locals but that may well be due to the unique location.

Why open yet another bar in Pattaya? Many of the existing ones are going broke anyway. Any reference to the Buddha would get you into trouble and would give the local police an added reason to visit you.

How to make a small fortune in Pattaya?

Start with a large one!

Why open yet another bar in Pattaya? Many of the existing ones are going broke anyway. Any reference to the Buddha would get you into trouble and would give the local police an added reason to visit you.

How to make a small fortune in Pattaya?

Start with a large one!

Prudent advice here for sure.....

Well I'm not Thai nor a Buddhist but I do like a beer so can offer my opinion. I have known two Buddha style bars, one in KL and one in the UK, and I have to admit I am not comfortable with the Buddha images adorning a place of alcohol consumption.

Personally, if it were me, I'd choose another name and theme. Would you go to a pub in the UK decked out in statues of Mary and Jesus?

Just my 500 Dong's worth.

I AGREE.......would be considered offensive to most thais.

Novel idea ,opening a bar and guest house in Pattaya its just what was needed ,how about incorparating a beauty parlour and coffee shop ? then you should make a fortune .

A good friend of mine who was quite well off opened a really lovely bar ,spent a fortune a few years ago .

the room he lives in now is nice as well :rolleyes:

Edited by thaimate

Novel idea ,opening a bar and guest house in Pattaya its just what was needed ,how about incorparating a beauty parlour and coffee shop ? then you should make a fortune .

A good friend of mine who was quite well off opened a really lovely bar ,spent a fortune a few years ago .

i assume it has even a fan :whistling:

Big Budda is an area in samui,so it's definitely doable.I give ya 1 word of advice.Don't put more into the business that you can afford to lose.There are people who just flip businesses for A living.Naturally they buy low and sell high.Good luck

Sorry to pizz on someone's parade, but Big Buddha in not an area. It is a BIG (as in large) Buddha. As seen from the planes coming in from the north.

The area is Bang Rak or Plai Laem depending on who you talk to.

The village chief told the two businesses previously mentioned that they could not use the word Buddha and they had to remove the word from their signage and all other documentation!

Definitle NOT doable. Sorry

Your advice is good though.

Edited by Tropicalevo

why open a bar / guest house in Pattaya ? there are lots on the market at fire sale prices and plenty just closing down.

I would have thought market conditions at the moment would be the best reason not to set up another bar/ guesthouse business especially in Pattaya.

If you must open one as you wish to throw money away at least give it a Russian or Indian name.

Best advice would be to do your market research, lots of forums based on Pattaya with similar stories of how the market conditions are crushing those types of business.

i assume it has even a fan :whistling:

A fan ? such luxuary.

As I understand it you cannot use the word Buddha in Thailand for commercial purposes.

On Samui we had the BBC (Big Buddha Cafe) - now it is just BBC. The owner was told to remove reference to Buddha.

We also had the Big Buddha Guest House. It now has a different name.

Perhaps another name would save you angst? :whistling:

exactly what i was thinking, thanks, ps, i was only going to have the name and a few paintings etc, not adorned with statues or too much buddah images, but your right its not in good taste.

It would be interesting to know if the OP is renting the property (buying the lease) or really buying it (freehold).

<deleted> is the difference ? speak up !!

One heck of a difference, and, with respect, if you need to ask the difference you really need to obtain some professional advice as to the viability of your venture.

As I understand, and I'm no expert, most businesses like the one you describe are housed in properties owned by Thais, with the foreigner paying rent and taking all the risks. If the business fails, which sadly many do, the landlord just gets another tenant with money to burn.

You have been given a fair bit of good advice here and I hope you accept it in the spirit that it's been given, whatever you decide to do I wish every success.

<deleted> is the difference....

Oh boy, disaster alert!!!

From another thread i think it will be around 2 Mbaht. That would be to take over someone elses misery, i mean lease.

If the bar is succesful the owner will rub his hand and will raise the rent and keymoney requirements.

If the owner is smart it is just a few percent. If the owner is typical he will raise it to a level that is too expensive and the one doing all the work will have to leave it.

If you can't own it, stay clear of leases that are for only 3 years, even with extensions, they are unregistered and as such not viable to have a long term business. Go for at least 10 years. This will give you time to invest, build up, make money and then leave it to the owner because the lease/keymoney is too high. Much better than a 3 year timespan which will only allow you to invest and build up, when it is time to make money......

This is even more important for a guesthouse.

Edited by Khun Jean

....", i could tell my wife to pack up we are leaving , only to go where ? pattaya ,hau hinn,bangkok, everywhere is the same, when i stay in pattaya all i see is people drinking, the temptation is too great, "

My link

This was you a month ago Dmax. Now your looking for advice on opening a bar ? :ermm: