Thai Prisoners Riot Over Confiscated Cell Phones

webfact

Thai inmates riot over confiscated cell phones

BANGKOK, November 25, 2010 (AFP) - Inmates at a Thai prison rioted and lit fires Thursday in protest at a crackdown on the use of mobile telephones, officials said.

About 200 prisoners were involved in the rebellion at the jail in Lopburi north of Bangkok, according to deputy provincial governor Pleak Theparak.

The incident erupted after officials confiscated four mobile phones thrown inside the facility by relatives of some of the 2,200 inmates.

"Prison wardens seized their phones and put those who used them in solitary confinement," said Thanit Sriyaphan, deputy director general of Thailand's Corrections Department.

There were no reports of any injuries.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2010-11-25

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Riot at Lopburi Prison

200 prisoners in Lopburi province take over cthe prison cafeteria and torch prison property. Authorities are trying to get the situation under control. Latest reports suggest that the prisoners were angry that some of their fellow inmates were transferred. Prison guards have been able to put out a fire in the sleeping quarters, but have not been able to control the situation overall.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2010-11-25

footer_n.gif

RIOTS

Lop Buri inmates threaten to burn prison

Corrections officials are negotiating with prisoners at Lop Buri prison who staged an riot and threatened to burn prison's premises.

Prisoners at a Lop Buri prison rioted and set minor fires on items on Thursday to protest crackdown on the use of mobile telephones.

Police said about 200 prisoners were involved in the riots in the Lopburi prison.

The incident erupted after officials confiscated four mobile phones thrown inside the facility by relatives of some of the 2,200 inmates.

"Prison wardens seized their phones and put those who used them in solitary confinement," said Thanis Sriyaphan, deputy director general of Corrections Department.

There were no reports of any injuries.

Thanis said that initial investigation showed that the prisoners were angry that the authority launched crackdown on those who involved in the smuggling of drugs and mobile phones into the prison.

Fifty of the prisoners involving in the riots were transferred from a prison in Ayutthaya province for involving in the smuggling of drugs and mobile phones there.

They threatened to burn the prison's premises.

The officials were negotiating with the prisoners, Thanis said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-11-25

CELL phones , well thats appropriate

i think is more likely because of this line;

" Thanis said that initial investigation showed that the prisoners were angry that the authority launched crackdown on those who involved in the smuggling of drugs and mobile phones into the prison. " :rolleyes::whistling:

Fifty of the prisoners involving in the riots were transferred from a prison in Ayutthaya province for involving in the smuggling of drugs and mobile phones there.

it was a small mistake to transfer them, in block, from one prison to the another, just in the neighbouring province - they have just created a problem in yet another prison. Maybe sending them individually far away from home province would stop drug smuggling into the prison.

Aung Sang suu Khy spent almost 17 of the last 20 years in house arrest (which is not a prison) and she is not a criminal: she has been awarded the Nobel Price for peace... She even didn't see or touch a cellphone during all these years!

Prison sentence is prison sentence, period. The next that should be confiscated are the lighters and matches. Smoking is bad for the prisoner's health but removing lighters and matches are good for the prison's assets. Remember: this is Bangkok Hilton! In a first place: try not to be there... :ermm::unsure::annoyed:

it was a small mistake to transfer them, in block, from one prison to the another, just in the neighbouring province - they have just created a problem in yet another prison. Maybe sending them individually far away from home province would stop drug smuggling into the prison.

Sending prisoners to remote provinces is a draconian punishment nearly equivalent to sentencing them to death. The food supplied in prisons is not sufficient to maintain life, so the prisoners in a cell form a food club and share provisions brought/bought in by their families - if you can't contribute you can't join. Family can't afford to travel the distance, then you're on fish head and rotten rice diet and you will lose weight rapidly.

I had a sister-in-law in the Hilton, and the wife and I donated every time we passed through. towards the end of the sentence she was transferred to a LowSec at ChonBuri. There was no available space in her own area, this was a 2nd choice as she had an aunt in the area who could bring in supplies paid for by her family.

Poster bleating about criminals deserving harsh treatment know little of Thai justice. This woman was working with her husband in BKK, went home to visit the kids, and accepted a cheap ride back in the back of a pick-up. The vehicle was stopped and searched, yaba found which nobody admitted owning, so all 8 occupants, including her husband, were given 12 years each, but the driver walked, apparently able to buy his way out.

I have been involved in several prison riots in NY and was the comander of the riot squad for 8 years, and never heard of riot cauased by confiscated cell phones. They were contraband and all the inmates knew it and took it for granted it would be confiscated and they would be locked up if they were caught with one, which was very rare. The big problem was getting the employees from bringing them into the prison, as they were not allowed to do this either. First time a guard or employee was caught doing this was usually 3 month suspension. Second time they got fired. One time I fogot i had it i n my pocket and I was talking to the captain when it rang. Luckily he cut me a break that time. As for transferring prisoners, this is standard procedure following a riot. The main participants get shipped off around the state, or in this case the country, and if found guilty of being involved get locked in cell a long time. This is Thailand though so I dont know what happens next. Perhaps they will jst take them out and shoot them. I often wished we could have done that back in NY, actually.

How incompetent can the "officials" be? I am at a loss for words.

What do you suggest doing with 2,200 angry men?

If they can handle red shirt protesters more thousands by army .........; they surely should could handle convicts too :angry:

I suggest they do the same as New York authorities did in Attica in the early '70s.

If they can handle red shirt protesters more thousands by army .........; they surely should could handle convicts too :angry:

The redshits were armed with military weapons, the prisoners are not. Setting up machine guns on the walls and shooting the lot may appeal, but it is not acceptable in a civilized society, or even in Thailand.

Cell phones - what next - I mean they already get free medical, free dental and three meals a day! Next they will want colour TV!!! Oh hang on - is this the US penal system influencing our Thai crims?

There is no comparison between the US and Thai prison systems. "............ free medical, free dental and three meals a day!" are certainly not available. As an example, my B-I-L asked me to buy some 2nd hand underpants for him as his clothes had holes that were embarassing him, don't send new ones as the guards would steal them. Luxury living. I don't think.

Re. The Clash:

Thai riot, I wanna riot,

Thai riot, a riot of my own.

Thaksin's got a lot of problems,

But he don't speak for me.

Sonthi's got soulutions,

But he don't want me free.

And all the Thais are doing,

Just what they're told to.

But no-one in government,

Will help you.

Really not surprising when you consider the society this song was written at the time.

Thailand's gonna catch up.

Cell phones - what next - I mean they already get free medical, free dental and three meals a day! Next they will want colour TV!!! Oh hang on - is this the US penal system influencing our Thai crims?

There is no comparison between the US and Thai prison systems. "............ free medical, free dental and three meals a day!" are certainly not available. As an example, my B-I-L asked me to buy some 2nd hand underpants for him as his clothes had holes that were embarassing him, don't send new ones as the guards would steal them. Luxury living. I don't think.

I could very well understand a protest for more humane imprisonment as for personal hygiene or food or so , but not fur a device as a cell phone witch give them the opportunity to order or direct their criminal businesses outside the prison keep goiing on further more .

Cell phones are banned in Texas jails too, but somehow prisoners are still caught with them. One prisoner was even calling to threaten officials who helped keep him in jail. They can just keep running their criminal gangs from jail, etc. if cell phones were permitted. Solitary confinement is not too much for those caught with them and those who bring them to the prisoner should be thrown in jail too.