Garbage Recycling In Thailand

BeardedDragon

Last year I was in my condo on the 7th floor one time and went on the balcony. All the way down I saw a big Thai garbage truck, with 4 employees checking every bin on bottles/cans/glass/etc. After 1 hour I again went outside, and the guys were still there, checking every bin.

A really ugly smell came from the whole situation, not very pleasant for all the condo residents. Furthermore, there will still end up some cans and bottles in the normal garbage...very bad for the environment.

Why isn't is possible for them to place different bins for every type of garbage? This would also be easier for the four employees. By doing so, they do not have to check every bag again. Furthermore it will be much better for the environment.

And another question: Is it possible as a resident to just collect cans and bottles yourself (in the basement or garage perhaps) and to bring them yourself to the glass and can recycle companies (for a little refund). Back home in Holland you have the system that on every bottle you need to pay extra money. You will receive this money back, as soon as you hand deliver the empty bottle at your shop.

Edited by BeardedDragon

I've never see so much recycling as in Thailand. The problem is the way they do it is very harmful for the environment, too much toxic gasses. :angry:

Recycling in Thailand has nothing to do with saving the environment but just a way to make money.

I always sort my garbage into one small bag for plastic, one for cans, another for cardboard/paper, and of course glass bottles. I have a recycling outfit at the end of my soi, but am not a big consumer (preferring natural foods, and leave these seperate bags out for my local 'collectors' on their samlors who make a living from this, and why not?

I really get angry when people just throw in wet trash, left over meals etc, and then complain about the soi dogs going through their nice little bins and strewing everything up the soi! Just put outside separately for them. Idiots. It's all down to pure laziness. If they were forced to do it as in European countries, the problem wouldn't exist.

And fail to see how this is bad for the environment? Do elucidate ...

Edited by evanson

Can someone explain me how it works? And tell me how to do or not do it?

I just moved in a house where I have only Thai neighbours. The neighbourhood has its own system. The garbage lady comes every week to pick up garbage and ask x baht per month for this. And all the garbage has to be in a specific plastic bag, which she sells.

I don't see anyone recycling in the neighbourhood.

So far I am seperating

-plastic (botlles, packaging)

-paper/cardboard

-glass

-other

But then...? To put these bags with seperated garbage in 1 community garbage bag? Or is there a recycling place where I could go to?

I wouldn't be surprised when they make 1 pile with the seperated garbage in the end... biggrin.gif

I am from California, so recycling is part of my blood.  But as bangkokcitylimits points out, recycling in Thailand is not always done in the best interest of environmental reasons but purely financial (not that finance is a bad reason to recycle, of course.)

I was watching a documentary on the bomb scavengers of Cambodia, the ones who find unexploded ordinance in the fields, then hammer away until they break the bombs down enough to be sold for scrap.  In the process, hundreds of people have died when those munitions explode.  What does this have to do with Thailand?  Well, pretty much 100% of the recovered high-grade steel gets put on trucks and sent across the border into Thailand, headed for the construction industry here.

Everyone denies it, of course, but it is hard to argue with video  trucks full of scrap heading into Thailand.

Recycling in Thailand has nothing to do with saving the environment but just a way to make money.

I don't see that it matters why people recycle, so long as they recycle.

What would be interesting to see is a study of real Thai attitudes to recycling (not the flippant 'yes we think its a good idea because we've heard its a good idea) but a study of Thai actions with respect to recycling.

Going on from 'Why don't Thais segregate their garbage?'

The City authorities in Brazils Sao Paulo investigated people's attitudes to recycling, and the people who sort garbage - what they found was is people were deliberately throwing recyclable materials in with 'household filth' (one woman admitted to wrapping cans in used baby diapers) - When the reason for this behaviour was looked at it turned out people had a very low opinion of the garbage sorters - Looked on them as scroungers, people who want something for nothing.

The City Authorities set about changing the image of recycling - Handed out free uniforms to people collecting recyclable garbage, provided managed centres to collect garbage and publicised the benefits these people brought to society.

The image of the 'Bin Divers' was changed and recycling % went way up.

Win win you can say.

I just moved in a house where I have only Thai neighbours. The neighbourhood has its own system. The garbage lady comes every week to pick up garbage and ask x baht per month for this. And all the garbage has to be in a specific plastic bag, which she sells.

So far I am seperating

-paper/cardboard

-glass

-other

But then...? To put these bags with seperated garbage in 1 community garbage bag? Or is there a recycling place where I could go to?

I wouldn't be surprised when they make 1 pile with the seperated garbage in the end... biggrin.gif

Do I understand this right? Your separating all your recyclables and then paying the recycling lady to come and collect them, sell them and make a nice profit?

Do your Thai neighbours also pay?

In our village the recycling lady comes around and then pays US for the recyclables at a slightly reduced rate than offered by the recycling plant nearby.

Edited by apetley

i always separate my stuff and bag it and when my father in law comes up from Bangkok he takes it to the recycler or if not there are at least 2 guys going up and down the road every day who will buy it.

We also have a regular weekly collection of normal garbage which costs 60 baht a month.

So far I am seperating

-paper/cardboard

-glass

-other

Do I understand this right? Your separating all your recyclables and then paying the recycling lady to come and collect them, sell them and make a nice profit?

Do your Thai neighbours also pay?

In our village the recycling lady comes around and then pays US for the recyclables at a slightly reduced rate than offered by the recycling plant nearby.

I haven't had a conversation with my Thai neighbours yet, but the one who lived here before me did the same thing (exept seperating garbage)

I also don't care if people recycle for the money, as long as it gets done.

This is a blog I came across, an old one, but informative.

http://www.thai-blogs.com/2005/03/22/recycling-garbage/