Vientiane Denying Tourist Visas Now?

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As i stated before last thursday i went to lao found embassy closed due to holiday in lao and i was going to do a fast track visa through the guy outside a nice fella taalked him down from 5000bt to 4000bt we started to fill out the form and he counted i have 1 single entry and two double entry tourist visa's said cannot do as there is a new man in charge and 5 tourist visa's is the limit.

I am going back next thursday and will be doing a non-immigrant visa.

Hello Nev, What's the procedure for getting a non-immigration visa in Vientiane?

I've been in Vientiane right now. I came there Monday morning. Because of the holiday last Friday, but for sure also because of a Monday and Christmas it was extremely full - more then 500 numbers they gave out, even when the ticket system broke.

When I went there this time, I had 4 tourist visa back to back. But after the first 3 tourist visa I needed a new passport, and as my passport arrived so late at the embassy I also still had a 15 days border run at another border checkpoint then Nong Khai to do as last "visa" in my old passport, this really was by accident).

When I gave my new passport to the Thai Immigration, they had to stamp the old "visa", the 15 days border run, into the new passport. So I just had one tourist visa in my new passport. But I never was sure to get the visa, as I was sure, they also must have a record of my old passport number. I had a lot worries. Especially as this really should become my last tourist visa (usually I wanted to leave Thailand already now to Cambodia, but I decided to wait till the end of the high season). And as it seems, I had big luck: I got my tourist visa, which is now my fifth back to back.

I dont know, why I got it (because of new passport, because there was this 15 day visa between, because it was so busy that time - I have no idea). But I got it. And now no more worries as this is anyway my last tourist visa.

But the first day, when to apply for the visa, I have seen some people, which were sent away with their passport and application form. Not too much, but a few.

Some tip for going back from Vientiane to Thailand: instead of going back to the border by tuktuk or taxi, then over the border by bus and then by tuktuk/taxi to the bus station in Nong Khai: there is a bus line, straight from Vientiane to Nong Khai (50 Baht), Udon Thani (80 Baht) and Kon Khaen (180 Baht). They start several times a day (as far as I know last ones 6 pm) from the bus station in Vientiane opposite the morning market. Each Thai city is another bus, they only stop at the border and the city they go to (i.e. the Kon Khaen bus only stops in Kon Khaen and pass Nong Khai and Udon Thani w/o any stops).

This thread has got me worried as I'm off to Laos on Tuesday, I suppose we just have to take our chance and hope.

I imagine it's just a random cull on people who have quite a few stamps already. I doubt there is one over riding rule such as 5 stamps, just as likely to be putting them in a hat and drawing the odd one out for rejection. Age might be a factor too. Or perhaps people are being snitched on by enemies. Who knows?

My question then, where is the least risky location to get a tourist visa for someone who already has one sticker: a double entry visa from Laos and just wants 1 single entry tourist visa ?.

If you only have the one visa expect you will not have a problem, although Penang was kicking back anyone with extension of stay at times. If in real doubt just go somewhere that you can fly back from if a visa is not issued and get the normal 30 day visa exempt entry (if eligible).

i was at the thai consulate in vientiane today and would like to inform people of a somewhat 'unofficial' operation which is available outside the gates of the consulate. i had a chat with the gentleman in charge and apparently no matter how many consecutive tourist visas a person might have his local service offers people single entry tourist visas for 2,500baht and double-entry for 3,000baht, no questions asked etc. which would seem to confirm that the crackdown inside the consulate itself is very much about missing revenues from free tourist visas.

i was at the thai consulate in vientiane today and would like to inform people of a somewhat 'unofficial' operation which is available outside the gates of the consulate. i had a chat with the gentleman in charge and apparently no matter how many consecutive tourist visas a person might have his local service offers people single entry tourist visas for 2,500baht and double-entry for 3,000baht, no questions asked etc. which would seem to confirm that the crackdown inside the consulate itself is very much about missing revenues from free tourist visas.

that makes a lot of sense... Also there is a new consulate boss guy and I am sure he wants some monetary homage to show his prestige and power in his new job. He might have had to pay someone else for the honor of getting the job and needs to make ends meet.

that makes a lot of sense... Also there is a new consulate boss guy and I am sure he wants some monetary homage to show his prestige and power in his new job. He might have had to pay someone else for the honor of getting the job and needs to make ends meet.

From what I know of Thailand, from my experience gleaned over 10 years, from all I have read and understood from various directions including the experience of close friends and associates, I'm bound to say: "SPOT ON".

And I'll pay 2500bt grudgingly.

On the twelfth trip to Vientenne, immigration gave to me...

12 You must be kidding's

11 We're not joking's

10 Get out now's

9 Oh my God's

8 We have a gun's

7 Stay in Lao's

6 Go away's

5 LAUGH OUT LOUD's

4 You have no money's

3 We're closed forever's

2 Leave us be's

And an entry stamp good for thirty days

I'm in Vientiane now, having just got one more tourist visa. I applied for a single entry only.

It does appear some people are being denied at the point of application, ie, if your application makes it through the first stage you are certain to get one.

I did speak to 3 Englishmen who were regulars, one of them had been denied, he'd already had 3 stickers (I'm guessing they were duble entry).

When I submitted my passport, the clerk checked every page fleetingly, and it is my guess that the number of previous tourist visas is the over riding thing here.

Before I went to Laos, I spoke to a friend who already has had numerous tourist visas. He went to Cambodia with one of the 'visa tour' companies. He stayed at the border and the company employs a runner, who obtained a double entry visa for him no questions asked.

If you only have the one visa expect you will not have a problem, although Penang was kicking back anyone with extension of stay at times. If in real doubt just go somewhere that you can fly back from if a visa is not issued and get the normal 30 day visa exempt entry (if eligible).

Just got back from Penang, forget it, they aint giving visas to anyone who has 3 within a year.

Just got back from Penang, forget it, they aint giving visas to anyone who has 3 within a year.

They're probably not giving them to people with only 2. Going by reports, they won't even give you a 2nd if you've extended a previous one within the year.

They're probably not giving them to people with only 2. Going by reports, they won't even give you a 2nd if you've extended a previous one within the year.

.ExternalClass .ecxhmmessage P{padding:0px;}.ExternalClass body.ecxhmmessage{font-size:10pt;font-family:Tahoma;}Hi to all and pray for a happy new year [ i am for sure!]

I have read many opinions on forum and still cant get my tired old brain around it all and would be truely appreciative of some facts regarding my situation here;

I arrived Thailand from NZ mid Feb this year with a single entry tourist visa.

I didn't understand the'' visa extension'' thingo and instead went to Vientiane after 2 months and got a double entry tourist visa in mid april and then 2 months later got a 30 day extension from immigration phuket.

After this extension i went to Ranong to start my 2nd part of my original double entry visa.[ now mid july]taking me to mid sept..no extention this time

Vientiane again and got double entry from mid sept , after two months went to KL and return to start my 2nd entry, which now expires 8th jan comming.

So i have had 1 single entry and 2 double entries and only 1 extension since feb this year.

Can anyone tell me what my position is regarding getting a double entry again in Jan [ i realise i can get a 30 day extension] but have already booked to go to Vientiane and figured that the 2000 baht for extension is money i can use for travel instead.......

If as it appears that i will not get my new double entry in Jan what are my options...i see that you get a 15 day visa exempt entry if refused, but what are my options after that?

I am on an aust pension [under 40000baht monthly] with a terminal illness and have no funds at all anywhere enough to qualify for retirement visa, so rules that one out.

My pension, though low is actually paid into my Thai bank account in baht so do have a record of this.

My main query i guess , is this : How do i get to stay in Thailand long term, without having big money?

I survive quite well on my pension and have a long term accomodation alrerady.

Someone mentioned an O non immigrant visa, but couldn't explain it to me.Any one can advise please?

I see people talk about ed visa,and also paying a lawyer to qualify that you have 800,000 baht available for retitrement visa, but to me this seems a dangerous way to go...Is it??

Another option apparently , is that if i ''lost'' my passport and applied for a new one, that would have no visa's in it would be a way of doing it..any ideas please?

If non of theses options is viable what can i do after my 15 days is up, because even if i went back to NZ i probably will not get a tourist visa there.

My goal is basically to spend one more year here[ if my life has that long, that is...who knows?]with as little stress as possible....

Would be hugely relieved to receive help on this issue...am extremely kriat now!!!

You have the visa exempt option or can try another Consulate for tourist visa if refused at one place. But the trend seems to be tighter control of tourist visas.

If your income was 40k per month you would only need 320k in Thai bank account on day of application (total 800k per year requirement). But you must be over age 50.

Long stay with multi extensions for education are available at costs of 30-40k per year.

Medical extensions are available for treatment period(s) if that might be an option.

One year multi entry non immigrant O visas to visit friend is still available from Hull (these require exit/entry every 90 days).

.ExternalClass .ecxhmmessage P{padding:0px;}.ExternalClass body.ecxhmmessage{font-size:10pt;font-family:Tahoma;}Hi to all and pray for a happy new year [ i am for sure!]

I have read many opinions on forum and still cant get my tired old brain around it all and would be truely appreciative of some facts regarding my situation here;

I arrived Thailand from NZ mid Feb this year with a single entry tourist visa.

I didn't understand the'' visa extension'' thingo and instead went to Vientiane after 2 months and got a double entry tourist visa in mid april and then 2 months later got a 30 day extension from immigration phuket.

After this extension i went to Ranong to start my 2nd part of my original double entry visa.[ now mid july]taking me to mid sept..no extention this time

Vientiane again and got double entry from mid sept , after two months went to KL and return to start my 2nd entry, which now expires 8th jan comming.

So i have had 1 single entry and 2 double entries and only 1 extension since feb this year.

Can anyone tell me what my position is regarding getting a double entry again in Jan [ i realise i can get a 30 day extension] but have already booked to go to Vientiane and figured that the 2000 baht for extension is money i can use for travel instead.......

If as it appears that i will not get my new double entry in Jan what are my options...i see that you get a 15 day visa exempt entry if refused, but what are my options after that?

I am on an aust pension [under 40000baht monthly] with a terminal illness and have no funds at all anywhere enough to qualify for retirement visa, so rules that one out.

My pension, though low is actually paid into my Thai bank account in baht so do have a record of this.

My main query i guess , is this : How do i get to stay in Thailand long term, without having big money?

I survive quite well on my pension and have a long term accomodation alrerady.

Someone mentioned an O non immigrant visa, but couldn't explain it to me.Any one can advise please?

I see people talk about ed visa,and also paying a lawyer to qualify that you have 800,000 baht available for retitrement visa, but to me this seems a dangerous way to go...Is it??

Another option apparently , is that if i ''lost'' my passport and applied for a new one, that would have no visa's in it would be a way of doing it..any ideas please?

If non of theses options is viable what can i do after my 15 days is up, because even if i went back to NZ i probably will not get a tourist visa there.

My goal is basically to spend one more year here[ if my life has that long, that is...who knows?]with as little stress as possible....

Would be hugely relieved to receive help on this issue...am extremely kriat now!!!

David

Lopburi has said it all, I totally agree.

I think the easiest is to wash your passport and get a new one, that way you have room for TV for about 15 months.

You can pm me if you need a creative solution, if you are 50+

Joe

For 2000 bt to an agent outside you would of got your TV and been happily on your way.

Not in Vientiane/Laos anymore.

Not it Laos anymore, I offered the guy outside money, he looked at my passport and said no way you will get a tourist visa.

He was right..

Seems that the good times are over for the abusers of the system. iis called a tourist visa for a reason. The belly aching when they dropped the 30 days for a land crossing was unbelievable, this has not gotten that bad.

Good luck to you all as you scam the system and complain about Thai corruption.

Seems that the good times are over for the abusers of the system. iis called a tourist visa for a reason. The belly aching when they dropped the 30 days for a land crossing was unbelievable, this has not gotten that bad.

Bored expat or old retired who has no more expectation in life ? Don't worry, the system is still super easy (and cheap) to cheat, and this is forever...

For what its worth, i have used two back to back double entries this year, and have had 3 in past years. Having said that, i have spent a decent amount of time in Australia between trips.

Maybe i will be hard pressed to do this in the future, but hopefully when the visas are no longer free in march it will be a different story.

I don't know if this is applicable, but every entry i've had (2 months) i' ve paid for the 1900 baht (1 month) extension. I have had no troubles in doing this.

Immigration can obviously see you are a long term tourist, so i often wonder if the people who are getting knocked back are on their second entry, and instead of extending for the further month, are electing to go for another double entry for free, just to save the 1900baht.

It seems some on this forum are doing exactly that.

IMO, that is clearly taking the piss, and showing immigration that you are abusing a system that you've already leaned on very heavily, not to mention giving them a pretty good clue that you are a bit of a kee-nok.

I'd not be suprised if this is the reason for some of the knockbacks.

Edited by ozzieovaseas

thats very impolite to call everyone who need a 4th 5th or 6th ... tourist visa an abuser of the system.

i am 39, dont want to study or work or marry, have enough money. i am here on holiday, traveling, swimming, enjoy the heat and the food.

please explain how i abuse the system. seems u r a bit narrow minded, hm?

thats very impolite to call everyone who need a 4th 5th or 6th ... tourist visa an abuser of the system.

i am 39, dont want to study or work or marry, have enough money. i am here on holiday, traveling, swimming, enjoy the heat and the food.

Well apparently he may not be the only one that feels the situation is getting abused or they wouldn't be limiting the number of visas they are issuing would they.

Well apparently he may not be the only one that feels the situation is getting abused or they wouldn't be limiting the number of visas they are issuing would they.

they're not 'limiting' them though. they're just forcing people to use an external agent so that the consulate's staff receive some additional income. at such time as thailand lifts the free tourist visa offer it will revert to business as normal.

they're not 'limiting' them though. they're just forcing people to use an external agent so that the consulate's staff receive some additional income. at such time as thailand lifts the free tourist visa offer it will revert to business as normal.

Possibly, but the agent method doesn't seem to be working for some as well. Bottom line is if people want to stay for an extended period of time, they may need to consider other visa options.

Possibly, but the agent method doesn't seem to be working for some as well. Bottom line is if people want to stay for an extended period of time, they may need to consider other visa options.

i think anyone who has been turned down by an agent in vientiane in the past couple of weeks has either spoken to the wrong guy or been penny-pinching. the chap i spoke to there operated in full view outside the consulate with his own gazebo, a digital camera set-up and had about 15 farang passports and application forms on his desk. agree you're right about considering other visa options though, the tourist visa situation may not last forever.

Why do all the hassle when they are giving out 2x Tourist VIsa from Cambodia so easy now ! .,

Poipet 2h from BKK then let the agent take the passport then w8 2 night at the casino Hotel then done ! . ,

How do you know who to trust your passport with in that town?

Im seriously interested but who do you trust?

Do they send the passport to pnomphen?