Goddamn Thappraya Road - When Will It Be Over?

laban

It must be at least 4 or 5 years since the works started, and the most crucial piece between Theprasit road and Jomtien fruit market (passed hanuman statue) looks like it may be done during the high season. Most days, you are lucky to see half a dozen workers. We'll be lucky if it's finished by Songkran!

Does the Mayor of Pattaya ever wander to Jomtien to see for himself. I know people get tired of complaining, but this has been the slowest project in my 10 years in Pattaya.

Sorry I forgot the burying of the electrity lines on beach road.

I know of some widening of highway projects that have been completed within a year...but this project is in a city and deals with "who knows" "company" of a friend of a friend that got the contract. I am a farang who works here and this road project seems to represent what the handicap is when Thais attempt to impliment anything new...no preplanning, no connection with the whole picture, no professional help. Look at the 83 million dollar pedestrian crossroad lights the city spend on...no thinking of the "what ifs" or pre-planning. It would have been more effective if they had used the human crossguards as is instead of purchasing the expensive lights. It employs people; more effective, and cheaper.

This road is a prime example of what is wrong with Thailand business -- takes longer, one ends up paying more due to bribes and money slipped under the table. NO one held accountable. Sad. But in all fairness, the city officials can sponsor good music festivals and night markets.

Edited by toenail

Hopefully it will be completed soon, the problem seems to have been getting land rights at the back of the Palm Beach Hotel.

Last week when I left I did notice progress, traffic started driving over the work site rather than driving the dogs leg past the front of Airayee Hotel.

At present they are removing old ground works and putting in new a drainage system, sewers and underground cable runs for electricity and communications, etc.

post-20091-0-85629500-1290932598_thumb.j

This is the view of the completed road as it passes through Jomtien Beach Condominium, most of the work done in the last 6 months.

post-20091-0-75599300-1290932833_thumb.j

With just a small bit to be completed between the condos and Soi Wat Boon.

post-20091-0-08214800-1290933109_thumb.j

This is what it looked like a year ago.

Interesting. We had situation identical to yours in Chiang Mai. The so called superhighway had been at an impasse for 5 years and was a serious cluster <deleted>. Every reason and excuse was used for cronyism and nepotism. Amazingly it was finished in 9 months after an event on September 19, 2006.:whistling: Tea Money/ You Bet.

I think it's only been 2-3 years (maybe seems longer if you live in the area). Maybe Jomtien is a different jurisdiction than Pattaya so "our" mayor doesn't control what's going on over there. The road up the hill from south Pattaya and over the hump and down into Jomtien seems to have come out pretty good (for Thailand anyway) so just be patient and I'm sure you'll get the rest of your road sometime this century :unsure:

I think it's only been 2-3 years (maybe seems longer if you live in the area). Maybe Jomtien is a different jurisdiction than Pattaya so "our" mayor doesn't control what's going on over there. The road up the hill from south Pattaya and over the hump and down into Jomtien seems to have come out pretty good (for Thailand anyway) so just be patient and I'm sure you'll get the rest of your road sometime this century :unsure:

Huh??? :blink:

I'm sorry, it's like the OP said. More like 4-5 years.

Jomtien is under the jurisdiction of Pattaya. Look at the pedestrian lights along beach road.

Ask the pedestrians, the road going over the hill is a death trap.

Yes it is a complete nightmare. I am complaining about my bike or car is covered is dust every time I drive on Thappaya road, but what about people having business/living there, oh man :( .

Lets hope they be will finished before next high season, but then they have properly started somewhere else.

The stretch from Pan-Pan/Thepprasit to Hanuman Statue is a disgrace and a death trap and has been torn up in various forms for at least 5 years. There are several high-profile up-scale restaurants along the route that must be somewhat affected by the chaos. The whole boondoggle is a testimony to Thai incompetence.

Much like the re-paving of 2nd road, south of Pattaya Tai, on the route to Jomtien. Torn up section by section at the start of the high-season, cutting of all normal south-bound traffic from Pattaya to Jomtien. Again, a testimony to Thai incompetence and lack of consideration for the people who are severely inconvenienced by these irresponsible acts.

If there is any hope, it would be for the merchants and residents to ban together in some sort of assemblage and descend on city hall with a very vocal and irrepressible push-- complete with media coverage and the cooperation of influential business and political minions.

Failing that, incompetence and lack of intelligent judgment will continue to reign supreme.

It really spoils the area. I have lived in my house for only 3 months (in between Pan-Pan and Hanuman statue, and thankfully i can exit onto Thepprasit road but if i want to go to Jomiten area i have to endure that building site every day. This is a shame because it has put me off living in the area much longer and i really love the location (in between Pattaya and Jomtien) i wonder how this affects the tourism as well as mentioned the businesses which operate on Thappraya road.

Jomtien is under the jurisdiction of Pattaya. Look at the pedestrian lights along beach road.

I stand corrected :)

But people actually walk places in Thailand...didn't know that and the Thais don't either therefore no consideration for pedestrian locomotion...it's so lo-so :o

The entire project >connecting Pattaya 2nd Road to Jomtien 2nd Road< started approx. 5 years ago with the widening of Theppraya Road from the Fly Over up the hill.

Approx. 2 years ago, they started with the connection and a junction near Hannuman Statue.

It may take another year before the stretch between Thepprasit Road and the new connection will be ready.

I worked in the road and bridge project delivery business for over 30 years. There is absolutely no reason this project should not have been completed on time, on budget and at a high quality standard. If acquiring the right-of-way is the problem, it is inexcusible. You never put a project out to bid unless all ROW purchases and easments are final. I suspect the ROW is just the tip of the iceberg, though. It doesn't look to me like anything was staged rationally.

The section from Thessapit to the market should have taken six weeks, maximum, to complete construction. Back home, the road agency manager would have been flat-out fired. If responsibilty rested with the contractor, the performance bond would have been forfeited and they would be out of business.

They haven't even started on the section of road from the lights at Thepprasit down to Jomtien yet.

They started the link to Jomtien Second Road at the statue just over 1 year ago.

Like I said on a post a few months ago... Road projects back home will have a big billboard stating the company responsible for the construction and the budgeted cost. I imagine this "company" would be afraid to put its name up on a sign. ???????????? -And isn't some of the road work already falling apart? --- I believe there was an article last spring about the pavement breaking apart.

I believe someone or a lobby group in Pattaya must responsible for the delays, it has been going on over 4 years now and is shameful. The shopping centers, hotels etc in Pattaya prosper from Jomtien being a potholed dustbowl that shakes your teeth loose, coveres your vehicles and leaves you wiping dust from your eyes. It was in about March 2009 that the mayor of Pattaya claimed publically that the project plus the second road extension would be completed fully by May 2009! Eighteen months later they still haven't done much past Thepprasit Road. I feel sorry for the business's that have folded or are suffering ongoing financial hardships they don't deserve. :whistling:

I stand corrected :)

But people actually walk places in Thailand...didn't know that and the Thais don't either therefore no consideration for pedestrian locomotion...it's so lo-so :o

I walk places but nobody would call me hi-so and I'd be insulted if they did. :ermm:

When I was in Pattaya I used to walk that route every day (down beach road, over Buddha hill and down to Jomtien beach and back) and there were many days when I felt that I should have bottled out. I'll be back in a week and a half so will be interested in how it's changed.

The people I feel for most is the businesses on that road especially those that have gained the 1.5 meter step up/down outside their front doors.