Pattaya Jetskis

sharecropper

• Replies 634
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went down to the beach yesterday for the first time for ages and sat opposite Central shopping right new the water.

After about 15mins there a jetski came in with two young Thai women who were in a group of about 10 young thais.

As soon as the jetski came ashore the Thai guys pulled it up and started pointing at some supposed damage.

Then the whole scenario started. Some of the girls were cursing and swearing at the guys but they insisted they had to pay up.

My girlfriend and her friend didn't want to stay any longer as they were sitting right next to us and it was getting ugly with the group of girls being surrounded by a bunch of Thai guys trying to intimidate them.

What an utter disgrace.

Sooner or later these buffoon are going to pick on the wrong person and look out there will be big problems.

I though the scam might be restricted to foreigners but it appears not.

From Trip Advisor

12 December 2010, 16:45

This also happen to me and my friends. They asked us 55,000 baht, Lot of people(even people of my nationality) came to help us but we figured out that they all want commission in the money, even the police supports them.

We tried everything but after 6-7 hours of incident we settled at 33000 Baht.

In between they hurt us to the core of our heart, they even threat to kill us .

http://www.tripadvisor.in/ShowTopic-g293919-i9439-k2953580-o40-Warning_Jet_Ski_Pattaya-Pattaya.html

Re: Warning!!!!Jet Ski Pattaya

16 November 2010, 19:02

I live in Pattaya. I see this scam all the time. The police, and the tourist police are in on it. They get a cut, for talking you into paying. There are many people that rent and do not get scammed, however, the scam rate is very high. Close to the end of the day when there is no one waiting to take out a jet ski is the worst time. Someone advised bring friends, the Thai's know that you can get 20,000 baht out of the ATM at a time, three friends means they can ask 80,000 baht. Please read this closely, DO NOT RENT A JET SKI IN THAILAND!!!! This happens all over the count

Edited by saintofsilence

17 July 2009, 1:17

Hey Guys

Just a bit of advice in regards to renting Jet Skies in Pattaya. Im just back from my first time in Thailand, and over all i loved it! However while we spent some days in Pattaya we had a really bad experience.

Myself and my two friends ( all Male in our early 20's) were approuched by a man while walking down the beach asking if we wanted to rent jet Skies, he was friendly enough and we arranged a price of 400THB each for 30mins. We were asked to sign a piece of paper which asked for our Hotel name and room number (we didnt give these details of course, and sign fake names) they were very friendly and polite.

http://www.tripadvisor.in/ShowTopic-g293919-i9439-k2953580-o40-Warning_Jet_Ski_Pattaya-Pattaya.html

from trip advisor july 2009

When we arrived back after 30mins there wasnt just the two men and women there but about 10 of the roughest looking men you have ever seen, screaming at us, saying we broke two of the jet skies. They had Tattoos all over there necks arms and faces, one of them actually had a stab wound on his face that kept bleeding. They demanded 77000THB and said they would call the police, i said i was more than happy for the police to come and sort it out. When i said this they went crazy and tried to fight us, taking out knives etc!!!! Then a non Thai came over and "tried to help" cause he could speak Thai, he was completley in on the whole thing!! We tried to leave and were blocked off, so it was either pay or fight completley out numbered. We insisted we did not have the kind of money over and over and the price after one hour went from 77000 to 20000THB, which we regretfully paid!

When we walked away a police man was right beside the beach, i ran over to him, and before i opened my mouth he put up his hand and said not my problem!!!!!!

On our travels we heard so many stories of people saying the same thing over and over. This incident really put a downer on things for a few days, and one of my friends was so shuck up about it we did not leave the hotel complex for a week! This happened right in front of the main shopping centre along the beach.

And i know some of you's will say ah well you should not have arranged it with some guy on the street but anyone who has been to pattaya will know that everything is like this there, you could walk 100metres and be approuched about 10times from people trying to sell you snything from suits to Women, to jet Skies to Watches, its just the way things are over there.

Sorry for the big Novel but at the end of the day if this posting even prevents one person from going through the same situation we did i will be happy!

I was in Pattaya over the weekend and saw the jet ski scam in action every time I walked along the beach. A gang of aggressive thugs harassing the tourists, shaking them down in plain view of everybody.

These punks have police backing them up and they are getting more and more aggressive. Reports of beatings and one report of a knife being pulled and nobody in authority to complain to.

Today, two English guy's were threatened to be shot if they did not pay up. In the end they paid 28,000 after one of the ski's broke down while ridding it. He said after they paid, and the owner gave them an receipt that can be used to claim on travel insurance for when he is back home. I told him that he better get a police report to support it. He seem convinced by the extortionist that the insurance will pay the claim.

Edited by marinediscoking

Today, two English guy's were threatened to be shot if they did not pay up. In the end they paid 28,000 after one of the ski's broke down while ridding it. He said after they paid, and the owner gave them an receipt that can be used to claim on travel insurance for when he is back home. I told him that he better get a police report to support it. He seem convinced by the extortionist that the insurance will pay the claim.

These mafia scam scum won't stop the money is to big but it will probably take a shooting and some decent tourists death before anything happens.

I also think handing out leaflets could be potentially dangerous. As far as warning tourists personally, my impression is that most tourists would NOT welcome such meddling from expats who are strangers. In the times I have offered unsolicited help and advise to tourists here, the reactions have generally been a bit hostile.

Yep! Agree 100%, near got into a ruck with some Fence guys, I only tried to tell them they were being ripped off, They got all hand bag on me.………holiday makers (groggals) there on their own. It’s just not worth trying to help, a lot of the time they just think you’re trying to be clever and show them up……..So sod them. I think I would still help, but I would pick who and what I would say very carefully.

i was thinking of having a t-shirt or vest printed up , with BEWARE JETSKI SCAMMERS OPERATE THIS BEACH , printed on them in english and hindu/punjab , and do the usual daily walking up and down,

my question is do you think any of the lowlife scammers would be able to read english or punjab

i was thinking of having a t-shirt or vest printed up , with BEWARE JETSKI SCAMMERS OPERATE THIS BEACH , printed on them in english and hindu/punjab , and do the usual daily walking up and down,

my question is do you think any of the lowlife scammers would be able to read english or punjab

Why not have a sandwich board made that you can slip into and carry down beach road with the same slogan on the front and back....if your up for it let me know when your going to do it so i can come down with my camera and watch the outcome, cheers.

If you want to piss them off, rent a jetski, sail round to Jomtien, and dump it on the beach there, be worth the B1000 deposit or whatever they ask.

Ha ha, A mass ride off! Dell boy style. Sounds good. But, they take more deposit than a 1000Baht, don't they?

It is hard to believe that this has been going on for so long & NOTHING is done except the PRICE DEMANDS have increased.

If it wasn't so dangerous the whole thing would be Pathetic.

Let's see this added to the "Multi Million Dollar Upgrade to attract Tourism."

WELL DONE to PATTAYA ONE about time, I might add that some media stopped fawning & put some 'gu*s' into reporting in Pattaya.

The words "P***ce" in Thai means "Useless" in the Scam of things in Pattaya & Phuket doesn't it. ???

Tourist Police NEGOTIATING , ya gotta be kidding !!

:realangry:

I noticed over the New Year, two Marine Police with about 10 guys sitting under tents set up directly where the scammers are, is this in response to all the complaints i wonder, they were there today (3rd) as well

On what part of the beach are they located?

Thanks.

There was defiantly one opposite Festival, the other I'm pretty sure was down near Royal Garden, all the goods stalls had gone yesterday, but hey were still there. The sign said Thai Marine Police

just come from pattaya beach right now.

multiple scams ongoing including indians, germans, and italians getting targeted.

from near royal garden by burger king and opposite soi 12 and then by five star bar near mike shopping mall.

it's rampant and that's only the ones i saw

this is an old article from 2009 but it just shows nothing changes scams are allowed to go on

After many complaints about Jet Ski operators in Pattaya and Jomtien overcharging tourists when accidents occur to their boats, Pattaya Mayor Ittipol Khunplome held a meeting at City Hall to sort out the problems, in order to be fair to both operators and customers. Attending was Deputy Mayor Ronnakit Aegesing, councilors, and representatives from the Pattaya and Banglamung police and TAT. Many complaints came in via 1337 Call Center and the Tourist Information Center that after tourists had rented Jet Skis, minor scratches or dents were called to their attention and demand for compensation was claimed from them, with some operators asking up to 50,000 baht for damages. One worrying complaint from a tourist, who came forward, stated that he would be threatened and killed if he went to the police. This could be part of a scam that has been in operation for years whereby unsuspecting customers who do not check the Jet Skis before riding them are duped into believing they have caused the damage when it was in reality either an old dent or scratch or a deliberate pre-arranged accident involving another Jet Ski. Even though this particular scam is not original as surely it goes on in many seaside resorts all over the world, it could indeed damage tourism with a negative image for Pattaya. Mayor Ittipol suggested that a committee be set up to control and supervise the Jet Ski businesses in both Pattaya and Jomtien, to help tourists and also arbitrate in any disputes that may occur along the beach front between Jet Ski operators and tourists. In a preliminary report, the committee will be made up from officers at City Hall, and Jet Ski operators will be expected to comply and to register once the department to be called the Marine Tourism Supervision Committee is set up. Lawyers are already drafting up the rules and regulations that operators must comply to or face penalties, which will be presented to Jet Ski operators for their cooperation in stamping out unscrupulous operators which are giving their business a bad image in Pattaya.

http://www.pattayapeople.com/default.asp?Folder=16&IdArticle=19920

Here is a quote from another thread on this forum in 2009

“Tourist Police chief Adis Ngamjitsuksri has conceded the extortion of which the police alone could not stamp out.

He said the extortion gangs, including those in tourist provinces,

worked under highly influential people.

My question is who are those influential people ?

Edited by saintofsilence

this is an old article from 2009 but it just shows nothing changes scams are allowed to go on

After many complaints about Jet Ski operators in Pattaya and Jomtien overcharging tourists when accidents occur to their boats, Pattaya Mayor Ittipol Khunplome held a meeting at City Hall to sort out the problems, in order to be fair to both operators and customers. Attending was Deputy Mayor Ronnakit Aegesing, councilors, and representatives from the Pattaya and Banglamung police and TAT. Many complaints came in via 1337 Call Center and the Tourist Information Center that after tourists had rented Jet Skis, minor scratches or dents were called to their attention and demand for compensation was claimed from them, with some operators asking up to 50,000 baht for damages. One worrying complaint from a tourist, who came forward, stated that he would be threatened and killed if he went to the police. This could be part of a scam that has been in operation for years whereby unsuspecting customers who do not check the Jet Skis before riding them are duped into believing they have caused the damage when it was in reality either an old dent or scratch or a deliberate pre-arranged accident involving another Jet Ski. Even though this particular scam is not original as surely it goes on in many seaside resorts all over the world, it could indeed damage tourism with a negative image for Pattaya. Mayor Ittipol suggested that a committee be set up to control and supervise the Jet Ski businesses in both Pattaya and Jomtien, to help tourists and also arbitrate in any disputes that may occur along the beach front between Jet Ski operators and tourists. In a preliminary report, the committee will be made up from officers at City Hall, and Jet Ski operators will be expected to comply and to register once the department to be called the Marine Tourism Supervision Committee is set up. Lawyers are already drafting up the rules and regulations that operators must comply to or face penalties, which will be presented to Jet Ski operators for their cooperation in stamping out unscrupulous operators which are giving their business a bad image in Pattaya.

http://www.pattayapeople.com/default.asp?Folder=16&IdArticle=19920

“Tourist Police chief Adis Ngamjitsuksri has conceded the extortion of which the police alone could not stamp out.

Bearing in mind that this has been investigated by the mayor and at least one of his deputies last year and that the situation remains unchanged we are left with little alternative but to conclude that the influential people involved are indeed the the holders of these offices.

http://www.pattayape...IdArticle=19920

"Tourist Police chief Adis Ngamjitsuksri has conceded the extortion of which the police alone could not stamp out.

Bearing in mind that this has been investigated by the mayor and at least one of his deputies last year and that the situation remains unchanged we are left with little alternative but to conclude that the influential people involved are indeed the the holders of these offices.

Why are you think nothing changed?Probably from that day onwards the cake had to be shared with at least one more party.You cal that no changes.:D

http://www.pattayape...IdArticle=19920

"Tourist Police chief Adis Ngamjitsuksri has conceded the extortion of which the police alone could not stamp out.

Why are you think nothing changed?Probably from that day onwards the cake had to be shared with at least one more party.You cal that no changes.:D

ha ha it would not matter how big the cake was with the amount of money involved there would be plenty to around. :)

What would happen if an anonymous public interest group posted signs all over town advising DO NOT RENT JET SKIS TO AVOID BEING THE VICTIM OF VIOLENT MAFIA EXTORTION SCAMS in five or so languages? Second question, shouldn't that be happening? Under these conditions, nobody should rent a jet ski in town. Period. Seriously what rational person IF they were well informed about what is really going on here would actually rent a jet ski?

Yes the government should have taken care of this years ago. But they haven't. So there is no reasonable expectation that they ever will.

Edited by Jingthing

What would happen if an anonymous public interest group posted signs all over town advising DO NOT RENT JET SKIS TO AVOID BEING THE VICTIM OF VIOLENT MAFIA EXTORTION SCAMS in five or so languages? Second question, shouldn't that be happening? Under these conditions, nobody should rent a jet ski in town. Period.

Yes the government should have taken care of this years ago. But they haven't. So there is no reasonable expectation that they ever will.

Third question..........Who would volunteer to put those signs in place?

oday the same Jet Ski scammers that are featured in this video pulled a large KNIFE on Irish tourists and threatened their lives in an attempt to force them to pay for jet skis they did not damage. The police did nothing, as usual. They did not even care a knife was pulled on the tourists.

ThailandUndercover 1 month ago
Nice video but why did you not call the tourist police yourself ?..............and advise the tourists to refuse to pay ...................and ask the TP to contact their Embassy.......the police have absolutely no lawful authority in this situation ...............except to take the tourists to safety.

stavvvvy 1 month ago
@stavvvvy The tourist police have been instructed to NOT get involved in the issues involving jet skis. To be clear, FOREIGNERS within the tourist police have been instructed to not get involved. What you have left are the corrupt Thais who remain in the tourist police. This is an old scam. Their embassy, police, or tourist police will help. If you refuse to pay, most times they will turn violent. If you fight back and win, you will be held legally responsible. Foreigners only lose in Thailand.

ThailandUndercover 1 month ago 2
Oh my god, JUSt the same thing happened to me any brother. My whole body was shaking while watching this video. We experienced exactly the same situation:( it was horrifying. I made a video and put it here on Youtube. you may want to watch it. A girl almost killed my brother with a knife after the Jet Ski incident. Just watch my video :(

frostgothic 1 month ago
@frostgothic I've seen your video, it is crazy!!! While it can get bad here, I've never seen someone have it THAT bad. You guys are lucky to leave without something else happening.

This is the same that happened in Phuket a few months ago , it was big news in the media for a while , lets hope it will be this time also .

bardo0007 1 month ago
@bardo0007 There is one video floating around where the jet ski operator in Phuket (his name is JJ) pulled a gun on the renters. Of course JJ is STILL in business today and was just in the news again for running the same scam.

see all
Video Responses
This video is a response to Travel Warning @ Phuket Thailand - July 2008
see all
All Comments (41)

here's a good way not to get scammed, DON"T fuc_kING GO TO THAILAND!!!!!!!

mmcclain88 1 week ago
if this happen to me i call my friend cuz im thai never seen thing like this before i pay them and return to fuc_k them up all these buster cuz i dont like when they act they r something if police dont help u just go to bangkok police and with this video PROOF they will lose everything they r just normal peoples they r not mafia or something but they may have weapon on them

thatsanai 2 weeks ago
if you guys had us on film, you'd be laughing. they got their karma. same guys, totally different story. we were certainly not as conciliatory as these guys. simple rule for dealing with these and other cons in thailand. dont be a pushover. nice background music for the video.

jstokes77 2 weeks ago
You are providing a great service, at the expense of your safety, by letting tourists know what goes on in Thailand tourist destinations. From the moment you step outside of the airport, or perhaps right prior to that, you get bombarded by scams of all sort and shape.

If you read about them 6 months prior to your departure, you'll shield yourself 95% of time.

ninuxy 2 weeks ago
ive seen these same guys day in day out for months scammin people.these guys got off very lite.if they were arabs the price would be 10 fold

pistolpetevan 3 weeks ago
The same thing happen to us! It was the same Policeman that showed up, but I only recognize 1 of the scammers! I cannot believe these guys are getting away with this everyday! It happen to me 2 months ago! they first wanted 18,000 baht/ USD600, i gave then 5000bt just so i did not have to spend 3 hours at police station! These guys will get there karma very soon!

76chris 3 weeks ago
welcome to thailand corrupt fuc_king monkeys

Robertnuns 1 month ago
@frostgothic your video is on facebook thailand jet ski scams

bensalu 1 month ago
@ThailandUndercover ...yes ... same group, same location !

the only way to stop them is : STOP RENTING and eventually their pocket book

will suffer then they move on to another scam .... well T.I.T. ... :)

BTW the beach there is so filthy, a cockroach will suffocate .

2551bali 1 month ago

Don't rent ANYTHING when your in Thailand.

svahdat 1 month ago
When you have a Thai girlfriend there's no problem . They only take a party of 3/4 boys , there's always one who can pay and if there's not they enjoy a good ( uneven ) fight .

SWD3104725 1 month ago
@sandhillarchstanton Seems they have a few core guys and everyone else comes and goes. Maybe they work other locations?

@sandhillarchstanton You are right. I see this scam every day but I do not see it happen with every tourist who rents the jet skis. It's almost always Russians, Indians or Middle Eastern tourists. Even then, I've seen them let some of them go.

not everyone gets stung. in the scams i witnessed (eleven) the most favoured targets were groups of russians and groups from the indian sub continent.

sandhillarchstanton 1 month ago
@DrStranglove The scam recorded takes place between Soi 10 and Mike Shopping Mall on Beach Road, Pattaya City. It is directly next to the large concrete steps on the beach side. You can sit there and watch this scam happen daily. However, it does not happen with every renter. They choose who they will scam. Some lucky tourists do not get extorted.

@sandhillarchstanton I have seen the same group of guys and some others doing the same thing.

GaryLuum 1 month ago
Typical. You need to name the shop and a lot of the jetski places there have banners and names. At the least, what hotel / bar is next to where they set up shop?

DrStranglove 1 month ago
i have seen these guys on pattaya beach esp no 1 and no 2 doing the same thing Edited by saintofsilence

What would happen if an anonymous public interest group posted signs all over town advising DO NOT RENT JET SKIS TO AVOID BEING THE VICTIM OF VIOLENT MAFIA EXTORTION SCAMS in five or so languages? Second question, shouldn't that be happening? Under these conditions, nobody should rent a jet ski in town. Period.

Third question..........Who would volunteer to put those signs in place?

Exactly, but it was a hypothetical question anyway. If this can't be stopped, I guess we are looking at Sicily pre-mafia crackdown, aren't we?

it's much more widespread than i thought, virtually every group along beach rd is at it.

observed another 2 going down today during a brief walk.

it's easy to spot even if u miss the opening drama round the beached jet ski.

just look for small groups of falangs in the deck chairs deep in conversation with a thai male or males and with a signed jet ski rental form on the table.

take it from me they are not discussing the previous nights premier league results