Pattaya Jetskis

sharecropper

Farangs policing the beach? This is getting dangerous.

Certainly this and other scams has an effect on tourism.

Could a group like the hotel association be encouraged to put pressure on authorities?

They must have some VIP owners that can crack the whip.

Edited by JWJ

• Replies 634
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FWIW I got a reply back from Indian Embassy in Bangkok today:

cons.bangkok to me

5:11 AM (11 hours ago)

Dear Mr

We thank you very much for your e mail regarding plight of tourists in Pattaya.

We are aware of the problem and are taking action to prevent such actions against Indian tourists.

Regards

Consular Wing

Embassy of India

Bangkok

Last week I spoke with the marine police about this and gave them several examples of people I have talked with being scammed. While I was telling them this one of them took my photo, I guess they did that because I was speaking thai and giving exact details..They did seem very concerned and one of them gave me his card and told me to call him if I see problems but they are only there on the weekends. I don't think any of them speak English though. I maybe wrong but I don't see the scam happening while they are there.

post-72597-0-15789900-1296053473_thumb.j

What makes you think these marine cops are legit and not part of the problem? You think these underpaid young men are going to get in the way of the local mafia to help some farang? They will look the other way to avoid problems. Probably make a few extra baht too.

These jet skiers are stealing a million baht a day out there and whoever is in charge is determined to keep it running.

Anybody gets in their way is going to have a bad experience.

They took your picture? I sincerely recommend you stay away from there for a long time.

These scammers know they are being watched and are looking for the farang that takes their pictures and videos.

Actually if i understand it correctly all matters pertaining to incidents at sea fall under the jurisdiction of the marine police or the royal thai navy. They come from satihip. I have had a chonburi lawyer who represents me here for quite some time for different matters. He has been very clear about who I should be careful about.... and the marine police are not one of them.

About 3 30 this afternoon I got involved,the second group down from WS,large group hollering walked into the middle of it and told ,the usual cop there that it was a scam,there is no damage with that he started pushing me back,twice quite violently ,I told him if he did it again I'd knock him down.He stopped but the other little bastards started biting at my ankles,fact is about three of them started on me, I pushed one away as I could not do any good on my own and walked off.

All it takes is just a few to stand up to them,they are nothing ,nothing at all

I admire your stand but am concerned for your future safety if you walk Beach Road on a daily basis. There are many reported cases (admittedly usually Thai on Thai) of perceived slights being followed up at a later time by violent assault, or even murder. You have actually challenged their illicit livelihood and I am sure they will remember your face if they see you again.

Edited by gmac

FWIW I got a reply back from Indian Embassy in Bangkok today:

cons.bangkok to me

5:11 AM (11 hours ago)

Dear Mr

We thank you very much for your e mail regarding plight of tourists in Pattaya.

We are aware of the problem and are taking action to prevent such actions against Indian tourists.

Regards

Consular Wing

Embassy of India

Bangkok

It is good to see that you contacted them hopefully all the consulates will get together and take this complaint to the goverment , I read next month there is a meeting coming up and hopefully all these complaints and the future of jet skis all over Thailand will be discussed.

There are so many complaints online now that some thing must happen and these corrupt practices stopped.

The scam should not go on 1 more day and be fully investigated of why it has gone on so long , there could be thousands of people that have been scammed and that amounts to a lot of baht .

Edited by saintofsilence

These scams are still on going in Phuket also. Two days ago I witnessed 5 North African looking guys getting scammed at the North end of Kata beach just north of Club Med. Amazingly the cops showed up within two minutes!!! 2o minutes later I saw the scammed party get in the back of a tuk tuk and were followed by the police on their motorbike and the jet ski scammer on his motorbike. $Ching $ching!

Busy busy jetski scamers today!!

Saw 4 incidents in just half an hour between 3.30 and 4pm today.

First coming onto beach road from the dolphin roundabout as I come round the corner I see a Tourist Police Car parked up on the road, hmm I wonder?

So I park up and sure enough our friendly TP with the mustache and a couple of Iranians?

All stood around a jetski in deep discussions. This is the very first hire place on the beach.

Watch for about 10 Min's and they all go off in the nice shiny Police car to soi 9.

So I toodle off to my usual haunt and sure enough the usual suspects have a scam going on either side of Mikes.

Watch each for about 5 Min's, then walk on up toward walking street.

Just as I am approaching the last hirers on the beach before walking street about 20 meters ahead of me I see a bit of a commotion on the pavement.

Then suddenly 2 guys in shorts dart out into the traffic, narrowly avoiding being hit, 3 jet ski guys in hot pursuit, held up for a few seconds by traffic they can only have chased the guys for half a block cause they where back empty handed a minuet later.

The jetski guys didn't seem to upset and where having a laugh and a joke about it, the one that got away.

Still another mark will be along soon I'm sure.

So thats from one end of the beach to the other 4 scams in half an hour and I didn't even look from soi 2 to soi 10.

Another Jet Ski Accent

PATTAYA: -- On Thursday afternoon police were informed by a jet ski owner, known as “Madam Pangpon”, that 2 foreigners had rented 2 of her jet skies and returned with traces of being in an accident but both parties could not come up with any agreement about the compensation figures. The incident happened on Pattaya Beach in front of Soi Pattaya Land.

The police went to investigate the facts of this dispute in which the two tourists, both from Poland, were the accused by the owner for the damages shown on the 2 rented jet skies which they rented earlier. The owner had taken pictures and shown them to verify their perfect condition before renting them out.

Full story HERE

PATTAYA PEOPLE 2011-01-28

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

Why would they take this back to a yard to be inspected they normally leave them sitting on the beach ?

The reporting makes it sound that they did have an accident which may not be the case because the Polish guys look as if they are disputing it.

To be fair the tourists should have been interviewed so we could hear their take on it.

And why has only this one made the news kevkev saw 4 incidents in half an hour.

These guys have lost 27000 baht because the system is set up to take money from tourists.

Hmm

This incident apparently was on Thursday didn't go to the beach myself that day.

Not that it makes any difference but I wonder why this incident made the news and others don't.

There was nothing unusual about the story, just a multiple everyday occurrence, the only other times they have made the news is when there has been physical violence used?

Still I guess the more that make the news the better, although they always seem to report the damage as a fact rather than an accusation.

I reckon this must happen at least 10 or probably more times a day on Pattaya beach, they work long hours.

A quote from a members trip report on another board, from only a few days ago.

"I went out for a walk on beach road and even at night came upon a Jetski incident in progress where a Russian was refusing to pay and try leave. Of course, the Thais were physically restraining the guy and it got ugly. Police were called and eventually the Russian (who had been beaten up a bit), a friend of his who showed up with the police and two Thais headed to the police station. Oddly, the Thais who actually restrained and fought the Russian were not in this group in the police truck."

Edited by kevkev1888

We have covered the scams again, and the new tactics used by the scammers to maximise payments, reduce police involvement and to discourage renters from going to the police station, in our next edition, due out on 1 February, after witnessing a number of them recently.

We have covered the scams again, and the new tactics used by the scammers to maximise payments, reduce police involvement and to discourage renters from going to the police station, in our next edition, due out on 1 February, after witnessing a number of them recently.

This scam has been highlighted to death on these threads for quite a while now,it wants taking out of this domain for more publicity. You would do well by asking for numbers to attend meetings ,organising committees,harangue public officials in higher authority,just getting the message across whichever,wherever

Edited by jori

The FTP will now admit to you in Soi 9 that the local police are taking 20% of the scam. Heard it with my own ears. They are also growing tired of this.

They are also now giving tips that may help you get out of the jam, such as.

- Stay calm. Don't raise your voice or show anger.

- Refuse to pay, but in a nice way.

- WAIT THEM OUT! Drag it out as long as possible.

- When / if the police come, ask for his name and ID number. Tell him you will need a receipt from him if you are to pay. And kindly tell him that when you get to your home country, you are going right to the Thai embassy with his information. If you have a camera, also ask to take his photo along with the scammers.

The tourist police are saying this has been working and people are getting away with not paying.

I'm not going to test it out, but I've heard the FTP in Soi 9 tell this to a few different people now.

Good work by the way.

You should cover this once a month until it stops. You are in a position to help make a real change. I wish all the local publications would follow your lead.

Sooner or later, someone will get killed over this.

Does anyone have an idea on how these naive people still renting the skis can be warned (without risking the lives of those doing the warning)? Maybe this is a role for the local media if they have a creative way this can be done, of course, in the major languages of the groups most targeted for these violent mafia crimes. What is happening here? Is Pattaya now Sicily before the mafia crackdown? Everyone living in fear?

Good work by the way.

You should cover this once a month until it stops. You are in a position to help make a real change. I wish all the local publications would follow your lead.

Sooner or later, someone will get killed over this.

Any media coverage is good, please please keep it up!!!!

Does anyone have an idea on how these naive people still renting the skis can be warned (without risking the lives of those doing the warning)? Maybe this is a role for the local media if they have a creative way this can be done, of course, in the major languages of the groups most targeted for these violent mafia crimes. What is happening here? Is Pattaya now Sicily before the mafia crackdown? Everyone living in fear?

You would have to make small brochures or even business card size notices in whatever language you are trying to warn them. Many of the scammers can speak basic languages to target their customers, but can not read it. However, I would not write this in English as many can read English. Target Russians, Indians & Arabs as these seem to be who they scam the most.

Walk up and down the beach and hand them out until someone figures out what you're doing and 20 of them beat you 1/2 to death while the police watch and place bets on if you will have to go to the hospital or not. And yes, I've actually seen them place bets on fights on the beach at night when prostitutes are fighting one another. It's like chicken fighting, with boobs. :rolleyes:

Another option is to find the top Russian, Indian and Arab travel sites and with translation, spread the word there. Word is getting around on the English speaking sites, but the others... nada.

Another option is to find the top Russian, Indian and Arab travel sites and with translation, spread the word there. Word is getting around on the English speaking sites, but the others... nada.

Thats fine, but then you land on the beach faced with a problem then hey ho - a Russin, Indian or Arab supposedly comes to mediate between you and the renters ???? , and because it is a fellow countryman you tend to believe them and so the cycle continues.......

I am sad to say that as some posters have said n the past it is going to take a death/murder to give this the publicity it needs !! Then it's too late !

I would have said contact the "News of the World" but i guess they have their own problems this week !!

Well done Pattaya One on taking an interest in this but what everyone is wanting is answers from officials who have some control over this scam which involves violence and extortion on tourists.

I am not a journalist but just putting this the best I can I am sure Pattaya One can ask some the Officials some good questions such as the following :

1.With all the publicity including threats with knives on tourists why are there daily reports of tourists still being scammed ?

2. Has there ever been a case of a scammer being charged with these offences.

3. There are reports that some beach jets ski mafia guys have run and hide when police arrive , Have police checks been done on all the jet ski owners and staff.

4. There are reports that at least three foreigners are working with the jet ski businesses is that correct and if so what is the purpose .

5. Do Police or other officials own some of these Jet Ski Businesses.

6. Do you believe reports that the scammers are angels and are the tourists all lying ?

7. What is your response about the jet ski video ? and what action was taken ?

8,When the knives were used on the three irish men what action did the police take.?

9.Do you think jet skis should be banned.

10. What advice do you have about warning tourists and who can help them if the police are unable to.?

11. Do you believe reports that these scams are occuring up to twenty times a day on Pattaya beach and it involves millions of baht monthly ?

12. There are many reports suggesting that the skis are mafia controlled Do you believe the jet ski scamming business is mafia controlled. ?

13. Many reports over the internet suggest the police are involved in the scam what are your thoughts on this ?

14. Is it possible that some repair work on the jet ski's is not high standard and after a few hours in the water these damaged marks re appear ?

15. There are reports that the jet ski staff call the same police officer when they have problems with tourists.

16. There are reports that the foreign police volunteers are not allowed to get involved and help is this true. ?

So if you can possibly get an interview with an authority on this that would be interesting and of assistance to all tourists to Pattaya

Edited by saintofsilence

Well done Pattaya One on taking an interest in this but what everyone is wanting is answers from officials who have some control over this scam which involves violence and extortion on tourists.

I am not a journalist but just putting this the best I can I am sure Pattaya One can ask some the Officials some good questions such as the following :

1.With all the publicity including threats with knives on tourists why are there daily reports of tourists still being scammed ?

2. Has there ever been a case of a scammer being charged with these offences.

3. There are reports that some beach jets ski mafia guys have run and hide when police arrive , Have police checks been done on all the jet ski owners and staff.

4. There are reports that at least three foreigners are working with the jet ski businesses is that correct and if so what is the purpose .

5. Do Police or other officials own some of these Jet Ski Businesses.

6. Do you believe reports that the scammers are angels and are the tourists all lying ?

7. What is your response about the jet ski video ? and what action was taken ?

8,When the knives were used on the three irish men what action did the police take.?

9.Do you think jet skis should be banned.

10. What advice do you have about warning tourists and who can help them if the police are unable to.?

11. Do you believe reports that these scams are occuring up to twenty times a day on Pattaya beach and it involves millions of baht monthly ?

12. There are many reports suggesting that the skis are mafia controlled Do you believe the jet ski scamming business is mafia controlled. ?

13. Many reports over the internet suggest the police are involved in the scam what are your thoughts on this ?

14. Is it possible that some repair work on the jet ski's is not high standard and after a few hours in the water these damaged marks re appear ?

15. There are reports that the jet ski staff call the same police officer when they have problems with tourists.

16. There are reports that the foreign police volunteers are not allowed to get involved and help is this true. ?

So if you can possibly get an interview with an authority on this that would be interesting and of assistance to all tourists to Pattaya

You know the answer to all of that the same as I do.

It would either be:

1) Mai loo.

2) We're looking into it.

This crime goes so high up the ladder that nothing is being done about it for a reason. I could tell you who's at the top of that ladder, but the post would be edited and I'd get another mark from the mods. I'm a 6 now. Not sure how many you can get before they nuke your account, but I must be close. :o

Tokay's tight. I know for a fact that nobody in any official position in Pattaya will say anything about this scam, as they are all scared of stepping on Soi 9's toes. Even TAT won't speak out about it.

And we outraged foreigners can make as much noise about it as we like but the people that count don't give a sh*t.

Edited by sharecropper

It really is an amazingly sweet scam for the criminals.

The victims sign a contract. Hey, it's legal!

The damage can be faked thousands of times. Practice makes perfect.

The police will be on the Thai criminals side, every time, and the bias will always be there really was damage done. Of course, the police take on the action is vital to the game.

Threaten people with lethal violence? Who cares? Certainly not the police. They deserve it anyway, the shirkers don't want to pay, how dare they?

The amount of the damage can by any silly large amount they make up at the moment. How many tourists are knowledgeable on the costs of repairing jetskis in Thailand or anywhere?

It's too perfect indeed for them to give up this quasi-legal gravy train.

Edited by Jingthing

It really is an amazingly sweet scam for the criminals.

The victims sign a contract. Hey, it's legal!

The damage can be faked thousands of times. Practice makes perfect.

The police will be on the Thai criminals side, every time, and the bias will always be there really was damage done. Of course, the police take on the action is vital to the game.

Threaten people with lethal violence? Who cares? Certainly not the police. They deserve it anyway, the shirkers don't want to pay, how dare they?

The amount of the damage can by any silly large amount they make up at the moment. How many tourists are knowledgeable on the costs of repairing jetskis in Thailand or anywhere?

It's too perfect indeed for them to give up this quasi-legal gravy train.

And to add insult to injury, you're not allowed to name and shame them.

Even if you could prove who was behind it, you can't say anything about it here. :lol:

All Thai criminals and crooked politicians have a SWEET set up.

was on the beach yesterday at 4pm and saw this shit going down, it is an absolute disgrace, the Thais pretend to take photo's of the jetski before the victim goes out on it, then upon return stitch them up showing pictires that must be old or the falangs don't even look at them, this crazy shit needs to stop