Attention Bangkok Bank Savings Account Holders

Further to the tread which I originated at http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/421728-phantom-atm-cash-withdrawals/, I have now decided to throw in the towel as far as Krung Thai and Kasikorn are concerned in view of 3 separate phantom ATM withdrawal incidents which I have experienced at their hands over the past couple of years at a total cost of 50,000 THB.

I am therefore on the look-out for a more reliable bank, and, based on the responses to that thread, Bangkok Bank would appear to be the least prone to the phantom ATM withdrawal problem. Before deciding whether or not to switch my allegiance to them, however, I would welcome feedback from Bangkok Bank savings account holders on their experiences in this regard.

Bangkok Bank have works without problems and additional fees but they charge you 150 THB each time you withdraw at their ATM machines.

I have had a Bangkok Bank saving account for almost 10 years and have never had a problem.  I have also NEVER had a 150 baht ATM fee.  20 baht sometimes, but never 150.

I also have internet banking with them and it is a major time saver (for me).  I can see all my transactions almost immediately, plus they notify you by email when there is activity via the internet on your account.

Bangkok Bank have works without problems and additional fees but they charge you 150 THB each time you withdraw at their ATM machines.

I have had a Bangkok Bank saving account for almost 10 years and have never had a problem. I have also NEVER had a 150 baht ATM fee. 20 baht sometimes, but never 150.

I also have internet banking with them and it is a major time saver (for me). I can see all my transactions almost immediately, plus they notify you by email when there is activity via the internet on your account.

I think you'll find the 150 baht fee is for using a FOREIGN VIsa Card (Uk for example) to withdraw cash. If you want to avoid that then use an AEON machine, they DONT charge the 150 baht fee that most banks charge.

As for Bangkok bank, I have had a savings account for about 4 years, never had any issues or phatom withdrawals ever.

I used Bangkok bank old ATM card for over 10 years without unsolved problems. There are fees when using outside home province of 10 to 20 baht per withdrawal.

I did once have a problem with a 10K withdrawal that I did not get as ATM shut down. But after phoning Bangkok bank I got the money back into account within 2 days.

Please stay away from Aeon ATM as many including me have had problems with them not getting money from ATM and still got money withdrawn from foreign account.

I used Bangkok bank old ATM card for over 10 years without unsolved problems. There are fees when using outside home province of 10 to 20 baht per withdrawal.

I did once have a problem with a 10K withdrawal that I did not get as ATM shut down. But after phoning Bangkok bank I got the money back into account within 2 days.

Please stay away from Aeon ATM as many including me have had problems with them not getting money from ATM and still got money withdrawn from foreign account.

I have used AEON machines personally on an ongoing regular basis and never ever had any problems or issues at anytime in the last 5 years.

You should consider the Be1st card with the chip on it - downside that is can only be used on their ATM's and won't work at KBank or SCB (these banks ATMs don't accept chip cards yet); and of course for shopping everywhere that VISA chip cards are accepted (everywhere in Thailand for sure, but not everywhere in some 1st world countries like the US). This eliminates the possibility of card skimming (making a copy of your card).

But I'd also recommend you set a spending limit you're comfortable with (0 to 300,000bt daily if I recall correctly); and make it a habit to change your PIN number regularly. If you want to layer on more protection, then open 2 bank accounts and leave a minimum balance in your card-linked account, using internet to transfer funds into your card-linked account from time to time when needed.

You should consider the Be1st card with the chip on it - downside that is can only be used on their ATM's and won't work at KBank or SCB (these banks ATMs don't accept chip cards yet); and of course for shopping everywhere that VISA chip cards are accepted (everywhere in Thailand for sure, but not everywhere in some 1st world countries like the US). This eliminates the possibility of card skimming (making a copy of your card).

But I'd also recommend you set a spending limit you're comfortable with (0 to 300,000bt daily if I recall correctly); and make it a habit to change your PIN number regularly. If you want to layer on more protection, then open 2 bank accounts and leave a minimum balance in your card-linked account, using internet to transfer funds into your card-linked account from time to time when needed.

I have had two accounts for years where I have a debit card which i top up from my main savings accounts which means I only leave enough money in the debit card for day to day activities.

If someone gets my PIN no big deal as there is only ever a few hundred dollars in it.

I've had no problem at all withdrawing money from my foreign bank account using the AEON machine, then walking it over to the Bangkok Bank Deposit machine and putting it into my savings account here. (BKBK machine often needs several tries to recognize the 1000 baht notes as acceptable.)

I've had no phantom withdrawals at all from my BKBK account. I did have a double withdrawal from the Provincial Electricity Authority. I noticed it in my bankbook and the fact that it was exactly the same amount as a previous month sent me off to check what was going on.

Bank send me to the PEA. They sent me back to the bank. We took photocopies of pages of the bankbook and PEA bills and payments.

Haven't heard the result yet, so probably drop into the bank someday to ask about it. Amount was only a few baht over 600, so not to worry, although being as anal as I, all the numbers must be absolutely correct! ohmy.gif