Russia and Qatar awarded 2018 and 2022 FIFA World Cups

News_Editor

Russia and Qatar awarded 2018 and 2022 FIFA World Cups

2010-12-03 00:01:45 GMT+7 (ICT)

ZURICH, SWITZERLAND (BNO NEWS) -- FIFA on Thursday announced that its Executive Committee on has chosen Russia to host the 2018 FIFA World Cup, while the 2022 FIFA World Cup, was awarded to Qatar.

England, Netherlands and Belgium, Spain and Portugal, and Russia all submitted bids for the right to stage the 2018 finals. Both England and Spain are previous FIFA World Cup hosts, with the 1966 tournament on English soil ending in the country's only world crown to date. The Iberians staged the 1982 edition of world football’s showpiece event, when the Trophy was won by Italy.

For the 2022 edition, five candidates bid, including Australia, Korea Republic, Japan and the U.S. - the 1994 hosts - as well as the eventual winners, Qatar. The U.S., Japan and Korea had all previously staged the FIFA World Cup finals, with Japan and Korea becoming the tournament’s first joint-hosts back in 2002.

"I have to say thanks to to the Executive Committee of FIFA because for 2018 and 2022 we go to new lands, because the FIFA World Cup has never been in eastern Europe or the Middle East," said FIFA President Joseph S. Blatter, who announced the result of the FIFA Executive Committee's secret vote in Zurich’s Messe.

"But I have to give big compliments to all the bidders for the big job they have done and the messages they have delivered. All have delivered the message that football is more than just a game. Football is not only about winning; it is also a school of life where you must learn to lose, and that is not easy."

"You have entrusted us with the FIFA World Cup for 2018 and I can promise that you will never regret it," said Igor Shuvalov, Russia's deputy prime minister. "Let us make history together."

A clearly delighted Sheikh Mohammed bin Hamad Al-Thani also expressed gratitude for the honor of hosting football's greatest tournament, while insisting that Qatar's historic FIFA World Cup would meet all expectations.

"Thank you for believing in change, for expanding the game and for giving Qatar a chance," he said. "You will be proud of us - and you will be proud of the Middle East. I promise you this."

The final presentations and the announcement of the host nations for the 2018 and 2022 FIFA World Cups was one of the biggest media events ever seen in Switzerland. Some 70 TV stations reported live from the official announcement at Zurich Exhibition Center, where around 1,000 reporters from all over the world also covered the event.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2010-12-03

I am glad they have given the Middle East a chance to host the world cup. They are football mad!

With the resources ( both money and cheap labor ) available to Qatar I think it will be one of the most impressive events ever!

Good on them. :jap:

I didn't really think Australia would get it. Soccer is a very minor game in Australia that doesn't even normally get T.V coverage. Ping Pong draws bigger crowds than soccer. Our national game is Australian rules the number one sport in the land.

Russia? That'll be interesting. I wonder if they are going to relax their visa requirements? You can't just show up at the border last I checked. Moscow & St Petersburg aren't very tourist friendly either if you don't read or speak Russian. Somebody got paid a nice bribe to vote for Russia.

Russia? That'll be interesting. I wonder if they are going to relax their visa requirements? You can't just show up at the border last I checked. Moscow & St Petersburg aren't very tourist friendly either if you don't read or speak Russian. Somebody got paid a nice bribe to vote for Russia.

As it is always with visa regulation, they depend also from the country of origin and maybe bilateral agreements between Russia and where ever that visitor come from and need a visa or not.

What means tourist friendly for you? easy to travel for an USAmerican who speaks only English?

As it is always with visa regulation, they depend also from the country of origin and maybe bilateral agreements between Russia and where ever that visitor come from and need a visa or not.

What means tourist friendly for you? easy to travel for an USAmerican who speaks only English?

You could probably list the number of countries whose citizens don't need visas to travel to Russia on one hand. My guess is that not a single country that qualified for the 2010 WC is on that list. There are still 8 years to change things. When Ukraine hosted the Eurovision Song Contest, they waived the visa requirement. I'm not sure I could imagine Russia doing the same.

In Russia, all signs are in Russian. As your name would imply, you are also aware that means they are written in Cyrillic letters which few people outside of the former USSR or former Warsaw Pact can read.

Almost no one speaks anything but Russian. If you are unfortunate enough to cross paths with the Militsia (police), they won't speak anything but Russian (they might hand you a little card with "give me all of your money" neatly typed in 20 languages).

One thing Russia has going for them is the Moscow metro system is one of the best in the world so transport shouldn't be a problem. But in Peter, not as good and the stations can be too far apart.

Edited by koheesti

You could probably list the number of countries whose citizens don't need visas to travel to Russia on one hand. My guess is that not a single country that qualified for the 2010 WC is on that list. There are still 8 years to change things. When Ukraine hosted the Eurovision Song Contest, they waived the visa requirement. I'm not sure I could imagine Russia doing the same.

In Russia, all signs are in Russian. As your name would imply, you are also aware that means they are written in Cyrillic letters which few people outside of the former USSR or former Warsaw Pact can read.

Almost no one speaks anything but Russian. If you are unfortunate enough to cross paths with the Militsia (police), they won't speak anything but Russian (they might hand you a little card with "give me all of your money" neatly typed in 20 languages).

One thing Russia has going for them is the Moscow metro system is one of the best in the world so transport shouldn't be a problem. But in Peter, not as good and the stations can be too far apart.

Well, they hold the Olympic games in China. There people speak a language many people outside of China don't speak nor is the visa situation easy and they don't have latin letters.

The World Cup was previously hold in Japan/Korea, in these countries - if you don't speak the language or can read the signs you would be easily lost as if would be everything in Cyrillic.

Other languages, signs written in letters different from the roman alphabet - that is what you have to expect when you 'go inter'.

Edited by metisdead
Troll comments removed.

If that is to complicated - you can stick with the "World Series" championship in baseball.

How dare he criticize the Motherland! :whistling:

Edited by Ulysses G.

How dare he criticize the Motherland! :whistling:

My motherland? No, i am not a little dumb patriot like others at this board maybe are. Don't mistake me for them. I explained that to you already more than once. In Russia they would probably call me a "rootless cosmopolitan".

I am with Socrates "I am not an Athenian or a Corinthian, but a citizen of the world."

Edited by metisdead
Troll comment removed.

Well, they hold the Olympic games in China. There people speak a language many people outside of China don't speak nor is the visa situation easy and they don't have latin letters.

The World Cup was previously hold in Japan/Korea, in these countries - if you don't speak the language or can read the signs you would be easily lost as if would be everything in Cyrillic.

Other languages, signs written in letters different from the roman alphabet - that is what you have to expect when you 'go inter'.

You have an aggressive tone. You may want to check that.

Japan/South Korea are modern countries - Russia isn't. close.

China is a closer example but they still have more written in English to help foreigners get around than in Russia. English is the closest thing to a world language we have and that's just the way it is. Blame the Brits, not the Americans.

I got fined in St Petersburg a few years back for taking a photo on the platform inside the metro. A metro cop came up to me and showed me a notebook with the law about photography printed in many different languages then fined me. Very tourist friendly to be sure.

shtraf.jpg

Edited by metisdead
Troll comment removed.

& they accuse Thailand of being corrupt

The Russians, do they? Complaining about corruption in other countries?

Well at least can Thais travel to Russia without the need to apply for a visa beforehand. But than again Thailand is for some foreigners from the west probably not a really modern country, so it doesn't count that they can travel visa free to Russia.

Edited by metisdead
Troll comment removed.

Well at least can Thais travel to Russia without the need to apply for a visa beforehand. But than again Thailand is for some foreigners from the west probably not a really modern country, so it doesn't count that they can travel visa free to Russia.

Thais who carry a Thai passport DO need a visa for Russia.

At least the Brazil won't have to worry...

http://visalink-russia.com/visa-free-countries.html

Armenia

Azerbaijan

Belarus

Brazilia

China - for tourist group only (5 persons min. - 50 perspns max.) are guiding by tour organizations included in official list (find it here www.russia.org.cn)

Chroatia - with official invitation only

Cuba

Israel

Kazakhstan

Kyrgyzstan

Macedonia - up to 90 days with official invitation only

Moldova

Serbia - up to 30 days for owners of new (red) passports

Tajikistan

Ukraine

Uzbekistan

Venezuela

Edited by metisdead
Troll comment removed.

How does this work with buying the votes of FIFA delegates? Is the money paid up front? Country A pays a delegate 100k dollars, country B tops it by paying 120k, the delegate votes for country C and keeps the 220k?

I would think it a bad idea to take someone's 100k and not give anything in return. Best to refund it or only accept just one "bid". Otherwise the loser might blow the whistle and details of your transaction might end up on Wikileaks!

http://visalink-russia.com/visa-free-countries.html

You make your assumption based on false data.

http://www.thailand.mid.ru/Win_work/consul_eng.htm

VISAS

General Information

Thai nationals can stay in Russia up to 30 days without a visa. For longer periods of stay they must apply for a visa at the Consular Section of the Russian Embassy in Bangkok. Holders of Thai diplomatic and official passports can stay in Russia up to 90 days without a visa.

And in case you don't know they play football without helmets and shoulder pads. Lets them have nice games there in Russia.

Edited by metisdead
Troll comments removed.

http://visalink-russ...-countries.html

You make your assumption based on false data.

http://www.thailand..../consul_eng.htm

VISAS

General Information

Thai nationals can stay in Russia up to 30 days without a visa. For longer periods of stay they must apply for a visa at the Consular Section of the Russian Embassy in Bangkok. Holders of Thai diplomatic and official passports can stay in Russia up to 90 days without a visa.

And in case you don't know they play football without helmets and shoulder pads. Lets them have nice games there in Russia.

What's with all this World Series stuff? Please stop baiting and stick to the topic if you can.

Your username suggests you might be Russian. If that is true, then you know very well that nothing gets done in Russia without a взятка (bribe).

Edited by metisdead
Troll comments removed.

What's with all this World Series stuff? Please stop baiting and stick to the topic if you can.

Your username suggests you might be Russian. If that is true, then you know very well that nothing gets done in Russia without a взятка (bribe).

It is sport, its about the international community does something together, in Russia and in Qatar football teams from allover the world will play together and the best will win. Lets be happy for them and wait how good Russia and Qatar will be as host.

If you don't like that international part, because its maybe a language you cannot read or a country that isn't modern enough for you or whatever you have maybe to complain that it isn't in your standard - than don't go international.

Edited by metisdead
Troll comments removed.

It is sport, its about the international community does something together, in Russia and in Qatar football teams from allover the world will play together and the best will win. Lets be happy for them and wait how good Russia and Qatar will be as host.

If you don't like that international part, because its maybe a language you cannot read or a country that isn't modern enough for you or whatever you have maybe to complain that it isn't in your standard - than don't go international - easy like that.

Totally agree. It would be a shame if major sporting events were limited to English speaking, developed countries that wouldnt inconvenience the likes of their betters from rich western countries by requiring them to get visas or anything.

Im English and Im happy enough for Russia a country with a long and interesting footballing tradition (Lev Yashin etc) to get the 2018 World Cup. We got the 2012 Olympics and cant really complain although it wont stop many.

Edited by metisdead
Troll comments removed.

If you don't like that international part, because its maybe a language you cannot read or a country that isn't modern enough for you or whatever you have maybe to complain that it isn't in your standard - than don't go international - easy like that.

I speak, read and write Russian. Spent two years there and another ten in the former USSR. I've seen more CSKA home hockey matches than I have NBA and MLB games combined. I currently live in the GCC just a short trip from Qatar. I wouldn't feel uncomfortable in either location. The same can't be said for the majority of fans who would like to travel to Russia to see the matches. This isn't Eurovision, with a handful of Europeans coming to watch a stage show. This is much, much bigger. Putin has 8 years to get the country up to speed. Let's hope he can get it done.

Edited by metisdead
Troll comments removed.

Several troll comments have been removed.

5) Not to post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling.

Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

Topic is World Cup.

Galacticos of corruption

By OLIVER HARVEY, Chief Feature Writer

Published: Today

A FORMER FIFA official last night accused international football's governing body of being "the galacticos of corruption" - and said the organisation had to go.

Mel Brennan, 40, a delegate for North America at the 2002 World Cup, called some of his former colleagues "cockroaches" who lavish money on themselves.

He described the voting for the 2018 World Cup as "not credible". And he said it sickened him to see Prince William, David Cameron and David Beckham kowtowing to FIFA officials - who are now accused of lying to them.

Read more: www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/3259948/Ex-FIFA-insider-Mel-Brennan-calls-for-reform.html

FIFA bigwigs who vowed support to Wills and bid team

By SHAUN CUSTIS, NICK PARKER, Chief Foreign Correspondent, and RHODRI PHILLIPS

Published: Today

SEVEN FIFA fatcats who are accused of destroying England's World Cup bid are named and shamed by The Sun today.

The executive committee members are said to have indicated to our bid team - which included Prince William, PM David Cameron and David Beckham - they could be relied on to pick England to host the 2018 championship just hours before the crucial vote.

Vice president Jack Warner, America's Chuck Blazer, Guatemala's Rafael Salguero, Korea's Chung Mong-Joon, Cyprus's Marios Lefkaritis, Turkey's Senes Erzik and Ivory Coast's Jacques Anouma are the key figures at the centre of the storm.

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/3260095/7-FIFA-bigwigs-who-vowed-support-to-Prince-William-and-the-England-World-Cup-bid-team.html

[My motherland? No, i am not a little dumb patriot like others at this board maybe are. Don't mistake me for them. I explained that to you already more than once. In Russia they would probably call me a "rootless cosmopolitan".

I am with Socrates "I am not an Athenian or a Corinthian, but a citizen of the world."

What's that mean? You are stateless? A refugee? Someone fleeing from the genocide of Bosnia? An alien visitor who's spaceship crashed in Siberia and is now marooned on earth (details to follow in the next wikileaks release)? Why would you quote Socrates a pederast homosexual, tried, convicted and sentenced to death on charges of corrupting the morals of boys and for advocating religious heresies? Does this mean that you are going to drink hemlock and die? Please explain, since I do not understand. How does this all relate to Russia and Qatar having the World Cup games? I know that QATAR will pull it off in full glory since that little nation is modern and will spare nothing to make it a success. However, Russia, being Russia is going to struggle. It's burdened with the same infrastructure issues as North America and the EU. Everything is old and the transportation systems and sports facilities are underfunded. One need only look at the mess that is the upcoming winter Olympics to see that. (or the summer Olympics in London for that matter). These events impose large costs on the hosts and most countries outside of the oil rich nations can't afford them.

Edited by geriatrickid

I am glad they have given the Middle East a chance to host the world cup. They are football mad!

With the resources ( both money and cheap labor ) available to Qatar I think it will be one of the most impressive events ever!

Good on them. :jap:

Average temperatures of 40 degrees from June through to September in Qatar, i can't see the respective leagues around Europe being too keen to hold the tournament in January, which is rumoured to be something the Qatari's are hoping for. Also all those fans in a 40 mile radius of each other? Could be interesting.

The decision by FIFA to award the tournament to Qatar was certainly not for footballing reasons. :redcard1: I wonder what persauded Sepp and his cronies to vote for country with one of the highest GDP per capita in the world :ph34r:

I didn't really think Australia would get it. Soccer is a very minor game in Australia that doesn't even normally get T.V coverage. Ping Pong draws bigger crowds than soccer. Our national game is Australian rules the number one sport in the land.

Are you from Victoria?

Our national game is not Australian Rules. It is the largest game in the southern States but that doesn't make it the national game. Us up here in the north rarely get it on tv, didn't even get the semi final live. I'm not bashing aussie rules as I played it for over 30 years in both Brisbane and Geelong. But up in our part of Aus I'm afraid the media give it little attention as rugby league rules the airwaves.

Cricket can lay claim to the being the national sport being the number 1 sport in all states when it is played., unfortunately.

I may think Russia is corrupt beyond belief and not very tourist friendly, but they have enough petro-$$ to pull off the WC in 2018 - IF they apply themselves and do it right without siphoning all the funds to buy castles in the Alps or whatever. Someone told me they saw Putin on TV reading from a prepared statement in English. I've never seen that before but it could be a good sign that they realise they may have to add signs in other languages around town.

Qatar - here in Dubai the June-July temp hovered around 43 give or take a few degrees. I don't think there will be any days where it dips below 40C. But I've been impressed with what they can do here in the UAE and given 12 years, Qatar could certainly impress - unless a viable alternative fuel is found before then, :)

I'm working in Qatar at the moment, and was here through June and July. The weather at that time of the year is intolerable.

Reading average temps of 40 doesn't tell the whole story, as that is air temp. In the sun it's over 50 degrees with high humidity. It's all well and good saying the stadiums will be temp regulated. What do people do between matches? Currently it's illegal to be drunk on the street, and beer is a minimum of £6 a pint (served only in 4/5 star hotel bars). Hotels are minimum £90 per night, will that increase, like everywhere else, for the tournament?

Of course they have 12 years to address all this, and I do think it's a good thing for Muslim/middle eastern relations, but one thing their gas money can't control is the weather, and having experienced it, I wouldn't pay to come here during the hot season.

I can't say I am happy about the choices.

Maybe you will blame me for thinking sort of ideologically but anyway, here I go :)

*Russia.....this country has got quite a serious racism problem. Neo-Nazi groups have been wreaking havoc in Russian cities since the fall of Communism and to make it worse, this is an ever-increasing problem. For some reason, the authorites don't seem too keen on tackling this problem seriously.

Just search 'Neo Nazi groups in Russia' on the Net and see how many things come up. Let me warn you : for example, there are many disturbing videos.

Maybe, just maybe, Putin, Medvedev and/or future Russian leaders will decide to take the fight to the fascist scum, thanks to the coming of this World Cup.

*Russia.....although not at the same serious level as there is in Turkey or Greece, this country has a football hooliganism problem too.

*Qatar.....this country is ruled by Sharia law and who can say that Sharia is not fascist ? Just one example : women are oppressed there. What sort of message is being given, by awarding the World Cup to this regime ?

Also, related to this, if that regime doesn't relax its certain laws, many World Cup travellers won't have a pleasant time during their stay ; and, some might get into trouble with the police.

*Qatar......heat, heat, heat.....need I say more ? :)

Cheers,

Jem