Foreign Manufacturers Ripping Off Thai Brands

webfact

Foreign manufacturers ripping off Thai brands

By Petchanet Pratruangkrai

The Nation

Famous Thai energydrink and chillipaste brands are being pirated in Asia, hitting local manufacturers, the Intellectual Property Department says.

The Red Bull brand has been copied in China, creating a loss of 1 million yuan (Bt4.5 million) from total sales of 1 billion yuan. Meanwhile, Mae Pranom chilli paste has been pirated in Malaysia.

Directorgeneral Pajchima Tanasanti said manufacturers had complained to the department about violated intellectualproperty rights (IPR) and lost income because of the infringements.

The department has submitted information to IPR enforcement agencies in China and Malaysia to investigate the cases.

"Thai trademarks have been registered in other countries for products developed in their own markets, and foreign manufacturers have copied Thai products and registered them under the same trademarks, damaging Thai manufacturers' businesses," she said.

To prevent violations, Pajchima urged Thai enterprises to register IPR overseas.

She said many Thai brands were at high risk of being pirated, particฌularly rice brands because of Thai rice's reputation for high quality. Some businesses had falsely claimed their product was from Thailand and used Thai language on the packaging, misleading consumers and damaging the reputation of genuine Thai rice.

The department will set up a special unit to monitor Thai products, services and innovations and protect them from IPR violations overseas, she said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-12-04

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Could this be karma?

Why would it be karma? Care to explain?

I think what he/she means is that what goes around comes around. Thais have been pirating things for years and now something of thier own is being pirated. Go to any market and you can buy Guchi for 100 baht or any of the latest DVD's even before they have been released.

Could this be karma?

Because look at every corner, copy of something is sold(locally made). DVD, CD, Clothing.

Also i do not know the history but i thought Red Bull was NOT a Thai company.Krating Daeng is a Thai company. Also i think locals have copied the logo.

I once exported Kraeting Daeng tshirts with their logo and ran into trouble with Red Bull Australia for copyright.

Could this be karma?

I think what he/she means is that what goes around comes around. Thais have been pirating things for years and now something of thier own is being pirated. Go to any market and you can buy Guchi for 100 baht or any of the latest DVD's even before they have been released.

Well, they do something about and law enforcement working to reduce it.

Except you are some xenophobe racist who stereotype all Thais and blame all for what a few have done there is no reason to say any Thai patent/copyright holder has lost his right to complain because of the other pirates.

People make such silly and thoughtless comments will telling for sure here other stories how and unwelcome foreigners are or that they are always get ripped off. But that is probably only a karma like payback for this ugly mindset.

All this CDs - everyone know that is a copy, but when it comes to food products like drinks and and seasoning products fake products bearing a much greater risk like the health of the costumer.

In the land of counterfeit everything, it's nice to see one of the bigger fish getting a fin eaten off by someone else. Turnabhout's fair play, karma, plaenty of ways to see this. One benefit is that this big fish, might instigate a stronger anti-counterfeiting pcuh with the powers that be, just because of this.

... nah. TIT.

An eye for an eye. How many of you use fake Windows XP?

Not me, i am with Applethumbsup.gif

But pretty much all hardware is sold either with copy windows or most of the software.

It's not fake, but it's likely bootlegged, a difference.

Fake would imply that they 'made it themselves', and that is quite unlikely.

What many Thais fail to understand, even big companies, is that registering and protecting their trademark in Thailand does not give them any protection in other countries. In fact, they should register their trademark in each and every country where they do or intend to sell or where there are important competitors.

To make a product look "Thai", although it isn't from Thailand, is deceiving customers and can be prosecuted in many countries, unfortunately not in Thailand.

Thailand still has a long way to go to provide adequate protection to IP rights. To see how their rights are violated abroad might teach the Thais a lesson about what can and should be done home.

Also i do not know the history but i thought Red Bull was NOT a Thai company.Krating Daeng is a Thai company. Also i think locals have copied the logo.

I once exported Kraeting Daeng tshirts with their logo and ran into trouble with Red Bull Australia for copyright.

Red Bull is a original Thai product. Red bull Thai also hold more than 50% shares of this international red bull company from Austria. The Thai owner is one of the richest.

Do you get some really genuine T-Shirt from the red bull Thai company or some fakes form Khao san road where just someone printed the company logo on a T-shirt? And even thought you would have some really genuine T.shirts from the Thai red bull company, it doesn't has to mean they are 'genuine' in Australia too, you don't hold the brand rights there and if the holder of the brand rights didn't gave you a license to distribute and sell that product such grey imports can be easily declared to fake.

An eye for an eye. How many of you use fake Windows XP?

Not me, i am with Applethumbsup.gif

But pretty much all hardware is sold either with copy windows or most of the software.

It's not fake, but it's likely bootlegged, a difference.

Fake would imply that they 'made it themselves', and that is quite unlikely.

same same-hehe

Red Bull is a original Thai product. Red bull Thai also hold more than 50% shares of this international red bull company from Austria. The Thai owner is one of the richest.

Do you get some really genuine T-Shirt from the red bull Thai company or some fakes form Khao san road where just someone printed the company logo on a T-shirt? And even thought you would have some really genuine T.shirts from the Thai red bull company, it doesn't has to mean they are 'genuine' in Australia too, you don't hold the brand rights there and if the holder of the brand rights didn't gave you a license to distribute and sell that product such grey imports can be easily declared to fake.

and how do you know about copyrights in Australia?

In the land of counterfeit everything, it's nice to see one of the bigger fish getting a fin eaten off by someone else. Turnabhout's fair play, karma, plaenty of ways to see this. One benefit is that this big fish, might instigate a stronger anti-counterfeiting pcuh with the powers that be, just because of this.

... nah. TIT.

Racist and their stereotypes are out in full force. Always the same members can be seen with their little arrogant rants about Thailand.

Could this be karma?

Well, they do something about and law enforcement working to reduce it.

Except you are some xenophobe racist who stereotype all Thais and blame all for what a few have done there is no reason to say any Thai patent/copyright holder has lost his right to complain because of the other pirates.

People make such silly and thoughtless comments will telling for sure here other stories how and unwelcome foreigners are or that they are always get ripped off. But that is probably only a karma like payback for this ugly mindset.

All this CDs - everyone know that is a copy, but when it comes to food products like drinks and and seasoning products fake products bearing a much greater risk like the health of the costumer.

Sergei, walk along Sukhumvit, or go to Fortune or Pantip or MBK. The Thais are doing very little about copyright and counterfeits. Nothing racist or xenophobic about it.

Edited by whybother