Nigeria charges former U.S. VP Cheney on $180 million bribe case

News_Editor

Nigeria charges former U.S. VP Cheney on $180 million bribe case

2010-12-08 01:36:21 GMT+7 (ICT)

ABUJA, NIGERIA (BNO NEWS) -- The Nigerian government on Tuesday filed charges against former U.S. Vice President Dick Cheney on his role in the $180 million Halliburton bribe case.

Cheney was charged among others for their involvement in the bribery scandal involving the energy firm Halliburton. Cheney was included in the 16-count document that includes conspiracy and bribery charges as well as obstruction of justice.

Cheney, the former U.S. vice-president between 2001 and 2009 during the mandate of President George W. Bush, could not be absolved of complicity in the bribery case as he was at that time the chairman of Halliburton.

On Monday, Nigerian government filed an application before the Chief Magistrate Court in the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) for a bench warrant for Cheney’s arrest. Nine people were also charged in the document, including Nigerian and Halliburton officials.

The arrest warrant is expected to be granted within 24 hours. After that, Nigerian prosecutors would seek the assistance of the International Police Organization (Interpol) to execute the warrant and arrest the former U.S. vice-president.

"Government’s Special Prosecutor is seeking a bench warrant from a magistrate in Abuja for the arrest and production of Richard Dick Cheney. The warrant will then be transmitted through Interpol for enforcement," prosecutors said.

The alleged $180 million scandal allegedly involved the construction of a liquefied natural gas plant in southern Nigeria. Halliburton officials are accused of transferring millions of dollars to Nigerian officials in order to secure contracts.

The United States has also prosecuted some energy firms related to these accusations and settled fines but the Nigerian government seeks a trial on its own as the crimes were allegedly perpetrated in the African country.

"Government will not settle for anything less than what these firms have paid to the U.S. government. In fact, it is government’s view that it is better to liquidate criminal corporation than settle for anything less than the criminal fines and disgorgement paid to the U.S.," prosecutors’ added.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2010-12-08

Be interesting to see if Interpol pursue this with the vigour of certain other recent cases. We can only watch to see if there is a double standard in this or not.

Thinking exactly the same. Now, if he was wanted for sex without a condom;).......

To: Dick

Subject: Good Day

Dear Mr Cheney,

I have been giving your name by a mutual acquaintance as a trusty persons. I am the second cousin of a recently deposed leader/Royal Princess (delete as appropriate) who has lefted me $180 million dolars in a Switz bank account. Unfortunately I am unable to travel due to elephantiasis/agorophobia/scurvy/UN arrest warrant/fear of Eric Clapton (delete as appropriate) and need a reliable contact to help claim my fortune...

Edited by phaethon

• 3 weeks later...

This announced a few days ago:

Halliburton Oil Company has paid $35 million to Nigerian government to settle bribery related allegations against the company and its former chief executive and ex-United States vice president Dick Cheney, the spokesman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) said told THISDAY yesterday.

The allegation was related to the construction and expansion of its Bonny Island gas liquefaction facility in which a subsidiary, KBR had a 25 per cent stake and an Fox News had reported the willingness of the company to settle the amount involved.

Rest of story here: http://allafrica.com/stories/201012220476.html

So was it all about securing justice...or securing money? ;)

I'm sure the US govt will happily hand him over to face charges. Just like they expect others to do for them. If he has nothing to hide I'm sure he'll want to go and clear his name.

:lol:...I fully agree.

LaoPo

I'm sure the US govt will happily hand him over to face charges. Just like they expect others to do for them. If he has nothing to hide I'm sure he'll want to go and clear his name.

:lol:...I fully agree.

LaoPo

You know what I fully agree with? Nigeria drops Dick Cheney Bribery Charges http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-12018900 Last week Mr Cheney's lawyer, Terence O'Donnell, said US investigators had "found no suggestion of any impropriety by Dick Cheney in his role of CEO of Halliburton".

"Any suggestion of misconduct on his part, made now, years later, is entirely baseless," Mr O'Donnell said."

The story ran 10 days ago on BBC.