5 Months Left On Passport

I have a friend who just left Canada, arrived in Philippines, and is on his way here. He has left the country with 5 months remaining on his passport. From what I understand, he had problems boarding the flight to Philippines but they did let him go.

Question is, will Thailand let him in with only 5 months left on his passport?

He does not yet have a ticket out of Thailand. He is returning to Canada from the Philippines. All within about 3 weeks. He is calling me looking for answers. I don't have any. I know there are some knowledgeable people out there....any thoughts? Thanks.

Edited by Canada

Question is, will Thailand let him in with only 5 months left on his passport?

This question will not arise, because the airline will not let him get on the plane in Manila. The IATA rules are clear on that.

Source

National Canada (CA) /Destination Thailand (TH)

Thailand (TH)

Passport required.

- Passport and/or passport replacing documents must be valid

for at least 6 months upon arrival.

Visa required, except for A touristic stay of max. 30 days:

Additional Information:

- All passports must be in good condition.

- Immigration officers can request visitors who are visa

exempt to show return/onward tickets and documents required

for next destination.

- Visitors over 12 years of age must hold sufficient funds to

cover their stay (at least THB 20,000.- or USD 640.- per

person/family). For details, click here

- For those who do not require a visaFor details, click here

Warning:

- Non-compliance with visa requirements will result in:

- refusal and immediate deportation of the passenger; and

- fines for the airline of THB 20,000.-; and

- overstay fine for the passenger of THB 500.- per day (but

not exceeding in total THB 20,000.-).

His only valid option is to get to the embassy in Manila and request a new passport. But they've probably got similar rules to here, and it's unlikely he'll have all the documentation with him.

Without a new passport, the only place he can go is back to Canada, directly without stopping in any other country.

His only valid option is to get to the embassy in Manila and request a new passport. But they've probably got similar rules to here, and it's unlikely he'll have all the documentation with him.

What documentation? An expiring passport isn't sufficient documentation to apply for a new one? It has always worked for me.

There are places that do not require the six month passport validity. Hong Kong is one such place in the local area.

Passport and/or passport replacing travel documents must be

valid for at least one month after the period of the

intended stay.

What documentation? An expiring passport isn't sufficient documentation to apply for a new one? It has always worked for me.

When I ran out of time on my passport a couple of years back, the embassy in Bangkok really wanted a "guarantor" but for a fee, accepted another signed affidavit.

And they absolutely insisted that along with the old passport, I must provide them with my original birth certificate, not a copy. Had to get a friend to rummage about in the basement of my house in Canada to find it, send it by express registered mail to me, so I could take into those bastards in Bangkok.

To show some further absurdity, again a few years ago, I needed a new passport while I was in Canada. Did all the necessary processes and went into the office to collect the new one. They wanted picture ID, but would not accept the old passport which actually was still valid! But they did accept my provincial driver's licence.

And sometimes we think Thai bureaucracy is convoluted and twisted in its thinking! bah.gif

Update

My friend was refused boarding in Manilla. Guess I'll be going there. Shit.

Very strange -----

I have arrived in Thailand on more than 1 occasion with less than 6 months on my passport. There was never any problem.

Of course my exit tickets were also within the 6 month period.

Bureaucrats love to make stupid rules ------ a passport is either valid or not ---- and has nothing to do with 6 months validity remaining ------ our rights are constantly being eroded, and for absolutely no reason, whatsoever.

Canada has some weird additional documentation requirements for getting new passports (either at an overseas embassy or i Canada). The old expiring passport is not enough. My friend in Bangkok had the same problem...needed a new passport but didn't have some piece of paper he needed with him.

...I have arrived in Thailand on more than 1 occasion with less than 6 months on my passport. There was never any problem...

It happens when the airline check-in staff are not doing their job correctly or have not been trained properly, which means you have been lucky.

Update

My friend was refused boarding in Manilla. Guess I'll be going there. Shit.

As you said in a later post, anyone leaving the country with only five months validity is just asking for trouble. I find it hard to believe also he wasn't challenged at the Canada airline check-in.

Even if he managed to leave the Philippines, he could have been turned back at BKK airport. An officer has the power to approve/deny. Why the heck any tourist would travel on the thin edge is beyond me. A stamp "Entry Denied" is something you'd want to avoid at all costs.

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp

...I have arrived in Thailand on more than 1 occasion with less than 6 months on my passport. There was never any problem...

It happens when the airline check-in staff are not doing their job correctly or have not been trained properly, which means you have been lucky.

Au contraire, the airline staff work for the airline. Immigration staff work for the government.

If you wish to allow other countries dictate to you, as to whether your passport is valid or not, then this is indeed a sad position to adopt.

There are officials all over the world, who love the power their uniform gives them.

Watch them run for cover, when you ask them '' Excuse me, are you telling me I cannot leave this country, with a valid passport'' ??

Sadly, lots of people are conditioned (brainwashed) to obey rules, and never question, if these are nonsense.

The airline will be fined if the passenger is refused entry.

They are also responsible for flying the passenger out.

That is why it is the airlines job to check your entry documents.

:wothesaid:

I was almost caught by this when I had a sudden work trip to BKK and realised that my passport had 6months and 2 weeks left... would have been less than 6 months at the time of travel (had to pay for express processing)... it can happen easily if the trip is unexpected, and honestly, how often do you look at the expiry date of a document with 10 year validity...

The airlines are fined, have to pay for your 'holding' costs, and then pay the cost of the return trip to your country of origin on THE NEXT AVAILABLE FLIGHT, which is usually not one of theirs... a pretty good driver for the airline to refuse you boarding if you can't meet all the conditions in the country of destination... even though we all know you would usually be able to talk your way around imigration in Thailand...

I've been refused boarding in Australia for Thailand, because I hadn't yet purchased the return leg... I tried every arguement in the book, I am entitled to a 3 month visa on arrival, I was intending to leave Thailand at a land crossing, I had an e-ticket with another airline, I just hadn't printed it... no dice... The counter staff know the rules, and if they are diligent, enforce them...

Daewoo