New Helmet Laws Introduced As Fatality Rate Soars In Thailand

webfact

Riding a motobike is dangerous full stop, and injuries will occur in any country no matter how much protection you wear.

Having said that, if I had a moped in Thailand, I would definitely spend money on a decent helmet, probably a Shoei RJ Platinum R (open face). They might cost 10,000 baht, but if 10,000 is the difference between life or death, or a vegetative state of existance, then that is a price well worth paying.

As many have stated, the cost is the same as a decent mobile phone, and a 1/5th of the average new bike cost, which anyone in urban areas ought to be able to afford.

It all depends on your priorities and personal preference I guess ...

Don'r forget also to wear your lucky Buddha necklace ;o)

Edited by CaptainBluebeard

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont get it!! why not just make a law where if a policeman sees you without a helmet theres a 1000baht on the spot fine, OR a ticket with a receipt ? Why not make this compulsory instead of taking 100 baht for not being close enough to the sidewalk? Why not make those committing an offence pay instead of those who are not Thai? Thailand is backward and will remain so until it comes to term with the facts that the civilised western world saw long ago - how long have we had helmet laws in the UK and USA - the statistics in deaths on the road since these things were brought in speak for themselves. Or do thais think that theyre SO GOOD that the rest of the world has nothing to teach them - this is the arrogance that keeps Thailand down while the rest of SE Asia moves forward!!

Helmets do NOT prevent accidents - some helmets worn in Thailand will NOT prevent head injuries.Some may contribute to injuries.

In North East Thailand during the week-end,

during the hours of darkness, during the rain - the skulls of Thailand's motorcyclists and their passengers are impervious to injury.

Children as young as 7 years old drive the siblings on motorcycles without head-gear, without any adherence to traffic law. Without a license, without insurance.

THe Police do NOT know the law, 95% of police cannot charge a person with a traffic offence. Only collect money for unpaid road tax, having no license and not wearing some sort of excuse for a proper safety helmit.

Whose to blame ??? The Government, The Police, The Parents, The Schools, The idiots that ride motorcycles stupidly without any idea of the rule of the road.

This is such a crock of pooo. I sent a letter to the director of the school I work in asking. why we allow kids (some under age) to ride M/C into school without a helmet. They still do nothing it;s so dam mad, we had one killed a few weeks back going home, no helmet. IF it's law act on it, or abolish it. annoyed.gif

I dont get it!! why not just make a law where if a policeman sees you without a helmet theres a 1000baht on the spot fine, OR a ticket with a receipt ? Why not make this compulsory instead of taking 100 baht for not being close enough to the sidewalk? Why not make those committing an offence pay instead of those who are not Thai? Thailand is backward and will remain so until it comes to term with the facts that the civilised western world saw long ago - how long have we had helmet laws in the UK and USA - the statistics in deaths on the road since these things were brought in speak for themselves. Or do thais think that theyre SO GOOD that the rest of the world has nothing to teach them - this is the arrogance that keeps Thailand down while the rest of SE Asia moves forward!!

If poor Thais cant afford helmets confiscate the bikes till they pay up - no? too mean? - then dont complain about 6000 deaths - alternatively you could give car drives UK/US standard tests - that would cut down the traffic!!

I find it amusing the amount of people who do have helmets and only put them on their heads as they pass a policeman.... soon as they are past the helmet is back off the head into the front basket.

I find it amusing when police is directing foot traffic in the morning in front of schools but everyone drives by them with out a helmet.

I guess that is not their job right now.

RIGHT ! This really makes me angry because i know they MOSTLY stop me when i drive my bike and wear my helmet, but they always try to find any reason to get money out of my pockets. And this happens to many farangs while those youngsters drive and race before the police's nose, without helmet or driving license, not even 13 or 14 years old ! THIS MAKES ME ANGRY !!

Where is the responsibillity of the government, the police, the school heads and teachers...? It's all ONE bunch of apes who don't give a shit !!

Haven't read all the comments, so this may be a repeat;

In Vietnam there is a similar law regarding helmets as in Thailand. There is one difference. The Vietnamese obey the law, 'cos they would otherwise be fined by the police and, as they are mostly poorer than their Thai cousins, they obey the law.

post-15852-0-57336300-1292399772_thumb.j

All are wearing helmets, even if they are better as beach buckets. Except one kid and one idiot. The kid probably because m/cycle helmets are not made for kids - skull still not fully formed - and one idiot because his brain will never be fully formed.

Edited by Humphrey Bear

They're still discussing the merits of helmets for bicycles in Aus. http://www.theage.co...1215-18xa7.html

Yepp and I read another article in a Swedish newspaper (Sweden was one of the first countries in the world to make bicycle helmet law), the discussion was about abolishing the bicycle helmet law for youngsters since statistics showed an increase in severer accidents for older kids instead. This is a bit the "Watch them carefully but let them go" tactic

I don't recommend abolishing any laws helmet laws in Thailand though, I'd recommend enforcing the ones we have, I don't want to introduce any new helmet laws in Thailand

If poor Thais cant afford helmets confiscate the bikes till they pay up - no? too mean? - then dont complain about 6000 deaths - alternatively you could give car drives UK/US standard tests - that would cut down the traffic!!

Thais don't complain about 6,000 deaths, you do ;)

I do not think any of the helmets sold in Thailand would pass even i safety regulation in Oz and few other countries.

There are helmets available that meet international safety standards but most are priced well out of the average Thai's budget.

As for this new law, what a fookin joke, I would like to see the stats of helmetless people killed within government zones versus those killed outside of government zones.

Yep but these ''impoverished'' people are still able to afford a scooter/motocyc...More often than not they can also afford cigerettes and booze and a night out on the town. Having little money isn't an excuse.

When you want to ride a motorbike on the public road there are rules to be adheared to.. Helmet, Insurance, Roadtax and a valid licence.. These aren't meant to be optional just cos you are poor..

Lax enforcement is the reason there are so many uninsured deathtraps on the road and so many braindead fookwhits too dumb to wear a helmet..

Having a bike isn't a human right.. No money for helmet.. save up until you can afford one.. until then you will have to walk or catch the bus..

Edited by Pdaz

In North East Thailand during the week-end, during the hours of darkness, during the rain - the skulls of Thailand's motorcyclists and their passengers are impervious to injury.

ABSOLUTE RUBBISH - every country that has introduced helmet laws has seen a HUGE reduction in fatalities - Thinking about it I think youve escaped from somewhere havent you?

I do not think any of the helmets sold in Thailand would pass even i safety regulation in Oz and few other countries.

There are helmets available that meet international safety standards but most are priced well out of the average Thai's budget.

As for this new law, what a fookin joke, I would like to see the stats of helmetless people killed within government zones versus those killed outside of government zones.

Yep but these ''impoverished'' people are still able to afford a scooter/motocyc...More often than not they can also afford cigerettes and booze and a night out on the town. Having little money isn't an excuse.

When you want to ride a motorbike on the public road there are rules to be adheared to.. Helmet, Insurance, Roadtax and a valid licence.. These aren't meant to be optional just cos you are poor..

Lax enforcement is the reason there are so many uninsured deathtraps on the road and so many braindead fookwhits too dumb to wear a helmet..

Having a bike isn't a human right.. No money for helmet.. save up until you can afford one.. until then you will have to walk or catch the bus..

exactly - if i told a UK policeman im not wearing a helmet cos im poor - what would he say?

"What" I hear you say?

"Why dont you go and live there then"?

Because why cant Thailand be a great place to live - AND have sensible laws - those 2 things ARE compatible and wont make Thailand any worse off - it will make it better

In North East Thailand during the week-end, during the hours of darkness, during the rain - the skulls of Thailand's motorcyclists and their passengers are impervious to injury.

ABSOLUTE RUBBISH - every country that has introduced helmet laws has seen a HUGE reduction in fatalities - Thinking about it I think youve escaped from somewhere havent you?

Ianbaggie, I won't miss you if you get a heart attack and stay away from the post button for a while. Can you please stop screaming? I can hear you all the way to Central World

Apart from that I must say that you are absolutely correct in this post :)

May I add; As have every country that introduce a law forcing that headlights on all vehicles must always be on all the time

What? So a 50,000 baht motorbike is within their budget but not a decent helmet? I think your argument is flawed.

What is the issue is the Thai's dissregard for safety issues. I live in a soi with a kindergarden on it. Most parents

pick their kids up on motorbikes and noone wears a helmet even though they could easily walk. home It comes down to selfishness, laziness and not caring

maybe part of Thai culture?

When a new motorbike is purchased a helmet should go with it. Not to say it will be work or people will wear it, but.................

Where I come from if a person gets his helmet broken in an accident and it saves his life he gets a new AVG from local donations through a radio station.

i have bought 7 new motorbikes in my years here in Thailand,And i have revived a free helmet with everyone.they were all Honda,but i think most company's give you one as part of the deal.they are normally very cheap ones,but you still get one.

Thais don't complain about 6,000 deaths, you do ;)

I dont remember starting a thread in Thai Forum - ;) A thai company in Thailand - must have done it in my sleep!!

Ianbaggie, I won't miss you if you get a heart attack and stay away from the post button for a while. Can you please stop screaming? I can hear you all the way to Central World

May I add; As have every country that introduce a law forcing that headlights on all vehicles must always be on all the time

I only screamed 2 words - and it serves you right for being at central world instead of been at work - heres hoping you get a heart attack before me - glad we agree on everything else though but then were both sensible level headed westerners arent we? - EH!!!!B)

I only screamed 2 words - and it serves you right for being at central world instead of been at work - heres hoping you get a heart attack before me - glad we agree on everything else though but then were both sensible level headed westerners arent we? - EH!!!!B)

I don't compare myself with you, 100 of your current posts have been to loud for me to want to do that

I find it amusing the amount of people who do have helmets and only put them on their heads as they pass a policeman.... soon as they are past the helmet is back off the head into the front basket.

I find it amusing when police is directing foot traffic in the morning in front of schools but everyone drives by them with out a helmet.

I guess that is not their job right now.

RIGHT ! This really makes me angry because i know they MOSTLY stop me when i drive my bike and wear my helmet, but they always try to find any reason to get money out of my pockets. And this happens to many farangs while those youngsters drive and race before the police's nose, without helmet or driving license, not even 13 or 14 years old ! THIS MAKES ME ANGRY !!

Where is the responsibillity of the government, the police, the school heads and teachers...? It's all ONE bunch of apes who don't give a shit !!

The police cant prosecute these young kids of 13-14 because they don't have a licence.you have to be 15 in the kingdom to have one.if you don't have a licence,they cant give you a ticket(unless your a foreigner).I found out the hard way when a 13yrd girl ran a set of lights straight into the side of my car,thankfully she suffered only cuts and bruises but put a big hole in my door.we went to the police station and i asked if they were going to fine her and who was going to pay for the damage,the answer was,she is a minor and not old enough to have a licence so no charges could be made,and for me to sort it out with my insurance company myself.I then asked why is a 13yrd girl riding a motorbike,the answer was many many and thats the law.

You guys bitch about having more then 2 on bikes and helmet quality, you go pay for an extra bike or car and a nice helmet for a poor thai family then. They don't even have mosquetto nets or shutters and any toilets in the NE let alone these luxuarys.

Get real.

True words spoken, most farangs have no idea what poor is, no idea.

I watched in horror on Sunday......Busy city street......5 young kids on a m/bike, shorts and t shirts, none with helmets. The driver couldnt possibly have been 10 years old.

Where are the responsible parents? Its tthe parents that are at fault..... for not setting rules and examples, educating their kids. How did the kids get the keys of the bike??

Easy!!!, the kid's parents bought the bike for them and handed over the keys. Not clever, but how else can their children get to the school (parents thinking, not mine incidentally) ?

Another thing, what do they do about babies and dogs? maybe provide custom made helmets for them. Seriously though, it is very disturbing when you see so many people on one bike (some of them resemble mopeds in their size) - I think that I have seen 6 once before and 5 is an all-too common occurrence. Just think!!! a whole family could be wiped out in seconds following an ill-fated collision with a truck, or the like.

Most disturbing of all is the cradling of babies and the standing of small children in between the rider and the handle bars NB: my wife and I are kindergarten school owners and it is 'desparing to say the least' at some of the sites we witness regards the delivery and pick-up of their children using such inappropriate forms of transport (concerns specifically relating to aspects of their safety)!! After all, what chance do they stand if there is a major accident (helmets or not).

I also agree wholeheartedly with those comments muted about the actual safety specifications of the helmets, as some (alarmingly high proportion of people so it seems) tend to buy and wear the least protective types. They either choose to buy the cheapest (most common denominator) or alternatively the most comfortable ie: those with the least perceived annoyance/nuisance factor appropriated through the wearing of them. Good crash helmets - that may at least provide some cursory protection (in the event of a crash) tend, unfortunately, to be both expensive and heavy as they are invariably costly to make and weighty due to the inbuilt protection provided. These 2 aspects are two very big negatives (for Thais) especially when it comes to the choosing aspect of having to splash out on something they clearly don't want.

I'm not sure that education is the answer either, as convincing them (young boys and girls primarily) of something that they blatantly don't believe in or care about will be no mean feat to achieve, especially if it is going to cost them their hard earned pocket money in order to do so ie: to comply with the new law in a sensible and responsible way.

Why not stop them riding bikes in the first place as they cannot conceivably have insurance and threaten to consficate the bike if they are caught riding it for a second time after an initial warning. They must all carry ID cards which shows their age so it woud not be at all difficult to enforce this.

Rather than pay out money to buy the bike, the parents can instead use this money to cover the costs of their 'little darlings' to take a songtaew or some other form of taxi to school (you can take the bike's fuel costs and maintenance out of the equation as well) which makes it an even better and more cost-effective proposition, plus, it would serve the purpose of alleviating any worry they may have of not knowing whether their child is going to arrive back home after school.

I would like to see the statistics of those killed broken down by age group, as it is clear that most of the manic riding and suicidal manoeuvres are undertaken by youngsters intent on trying out the new toy that 'daddies' just given them. Is it not just feasible for the parents to show a bit of commonsense and realise the foolishness and potentially disastrous consequences that could result from their ill-judged, irresponsible (maybe well intentioned in fairness) actions?

In summary, Not an easy one this!!!! but surely they could come up with a better proposal than the mandatory wearing of something on your head as it won't serve one iota in improving matters as far as I'm concerned. They should bring in something a bit more imaginitive and substantive but it seems that the Thai authorities have once again (as they have the propensity to do so, all too often) fudged the issue in trying to ammend the unacceptable situation that currently exists of having so many fatalities on their roads with the incumbent sadness and terrible upset that it brings by imposing something that will, 'in my opinion', fail, like so many other 'new' rules and regulations brought in that are not fit for purpose and will resolve nothing.

I just came back from a few days in rural Cambodia. Guess what? Most people wear helmets, and farmers in Cambodia are certainly not richer than those in Thailand. Another thing that struck me was that most kids walked or used bicycles to school. In Thailand, not even the poorest farmer would risk the physical damage to her children as a result of walking a few hundred meters to the local learning institution.

The laziness in this country is beyond description sometimes.

Would it be too much to ask if they made the motorcycle drivers keep their lights on at night, made sure all lights were worked, and used their turn signals.....Am I asking to much????? Oh yea and wear a helmet also! 555555

You guys bitch about having more then 2 on bikes and helmet quality, you go pay for an extra bike or car and a nice helmet for a poor thai family then. They don't even have mosquetto nets or shutters and any toilets in the NE let alone these luxuarys.

Get real.

So whats the best.....a poor person that walks and is not injured / dead or just a dead or injured person with no money for hospital bills?. Gents I have lived up country for years and believe me I know poor folks but using poor as an excuse to commit suicide by vehicle is not a good thing.

Get real.

All we are commenting on relates simply to the REASONS as to why there are so many fatalities on the road in Thailand. I'm sure everybody who has supplied posts to this topic are aware that Thais living in the North (East and West for that matter) are not rich and would invariably find it difficult to find the money for a good quality helmet. Also,we know that many people in these areas cannot afford cars and as a consequence rely on a bike to transport their family to and fro as they have no other choice but to do so .

Your rantings are not really contributing to this discussion as they are misguided in what they stand for and the accusations you have made as to our (non)appreciation of the situation are clearly mistaken. Why not try to add something constructive instead - you will see, in an earlier post, that I do not think this 'new' ruling/law will make any difference at all regards reducing the unacceptable fatality rate so I have instead promoted some of my ideas on what I think could go someway to helping matters (moreso than this ill thought out nonsense anyway).

So, less of these unwarranted criticisms and more positive suggestions please guys!!!!

Why the need for helmet wearing zones when it has been law for years that you have to wear a helmet when riding a motorbike?

If you wear a tissue on your head it counts as a crash helmet. Really they need to have more regulation and to enforce helmets that adhere to minimal safety standards as mine has no chin strap and is 2 sizes too small but if I balance that on the top of my canister I'm legal. However I don't drive my bike with 3 kids on it and a dodgy helmet so the Helmet is the least of Thailand's worries on road safety!

And kids riding bikes to school? I didn't realise it was legal to cram 3 kids 12 year olds with no helmets onto bikes.

Once again Thailand misses the point of the problem. The government can insist that their employees or school children wear certain coloured shirts on certain days of the week, but enforcing that people wear helmets to and from their place of work is beyond abilities of persuasion.

It seems thai rules are made to receive money for the "boys"..... with no intention to really expect the rules to be implicated for real purpose , as so many drive whiteout license , insurrance or sufficient age , and no 3 persons on 1 bike..... oh i forgot .. T.I.T :jap:

driving as no liscence....... confiscate bike untill license obtained should be a good beginning :annoyed: as punishment .................o k it does not bring money for "the boys":D i forgot again

I was in Pattaya a few weeks back, and saw a sign, 3 or more on a motorcycle 500 baht fine......

I live in rural Issan, and I see many farlang, riding their scooter, down the road without a helmet,,,so they are no better than the Thais at following rules....I go nowhere without a helmet.....period...

I also always wear a helmet all the time, of course I want to live, in Jomtien I see many farangs or farlangs helmet-less or unstrapped and with children, without a helmet and chances are, they can afford to buy them one, I think one of the main problems is that these people, have never been in a accident and once they are and if they live, will wear a helmet and drive with a few more smarts (MAYBE)

Why the need for helmet wearing zones when it has been law for years that you have to wear a helmet when riding a motorbike?

or why have very low helmet safety standards? defeats the whole purpose of a helmet.

I mean having a salad bowl on your head, hardly will protect your head, if anything will cause even more damage

It would be a good starting point to force and implicate moto-taxi drivers to have a good helmet like they wear themselfs, for the passenger to have ....because even the strapping is most times missing , and the way some drive..............scary :blink: ......... sometimes i feel to buy my own helmet to taking moto taxi , but i would look stupid goiing to the bars with helmet and no bike...:D

strange ive been to thailand several times

and id not think helmet wearing was compulsery

because so so many dont wear them as you can get more than three people

THE ANSWER

tell police to start giving on the spot fines if not wearing seat helmets this would send a clear message

thats it bloody dangerous not to wear helmet

and on subject of standard of helmet any thing is better than nothing

and they tend to wear coverted salad bowls or at least thats what they look like

even if they use byecycle safety helmets after all they are probally made there as they export a lot to uk and usa

Edited by tinsom