Tell Me The User Can'T Receive Pm'S Before I Type.....

Wavefloater

I just finished typing a rather long PM to a member only to get the message: "The member xxxxxxxx can not use the messaging system" after hitting the 'send' button.

<deleted>, why offer me an editing window, sucker me into typing my message, and then pull the rug out fom under me? Not nice at all!

Could you please change this to (logically) display the message BEFORE someone types instead of AFTER -- very annoying.

Edited by Wavefloater

The software doesn't know who you will send the message to till you actually send it, that is also for security reasons.

That a person cannot use the PM system is very rare.

I understand what you're saying about the software needing to know who the recipient is before displaying the message, so I suggest (since the number of users is so low) that you display a message when we go to the member's profile page where we access the ability to send messages. That way we'll know enough to not bother attempting a message.

Since I've opened a thread to make a complaint & suggestion abut the PM system, I'll also take the time to comment about the useless "view results" message that's displayed when one hovers their mouse over a topic in the various forum pages. I noticed before that it used to display the date the thread was originally started, which was more helpful than the useless "view results" message, but if you look at 99% of the forums out there, at least it displays the remainder of a truncated text line (when there's not enough room to fit all the text) but here it doesn't even do that. Surely you guys can do better than the useless "view results".

Edited by Wavefloater