I Bought A New Tiger Boxer 250Rs

CMX

Only when the break-in period was over did I begin to enjoy riding the Boxer. Doubtless I was overly obedient to old-fashioned notions. At any rate, what torque there is in this bike is not found at the bottom of rpm's. The fun begins almost mid-range. In fact, if you are interested in how to rev a Boxer, mbox has posted somewhere a video where – through the machine's excellent muffler – you can hear wise advice – practiced before your eyes and ears - about not getting behind the power curve.

If there is one thing that stands out about this bike, I've only seen it noted by an Eggspurt from Bangkok, who correctly complimented the suspension. The Tiger's is remarkable for its price slot. The combination of inverted front shocks, the steadiness of the aluminum swing arms with oil dampened twin rear shocks just eat up speed bumps and highway inconveniences. The underparts may well be overbuilt, but certainly alone justify the small increase in price over the 200 model, power and speed aside. The 250 has the Tsukigi stainless muffler too.

The Boxer tracks beautifully. I cannot claim, even with the Dunlop tubeless tires, to have tested the bike to anything like sportsbike standards, but mine is without vices in handling, brakes (discs front and rear) included. Dry, it weighs only 121 kilograms.

Even before purchasing, I had decided upon a custom seat and handlebars, because from reading the threads I had realized that my frame would be better served. I am delighted with the result and would pay more than the 4K these improvements cost.

The bike as it arrived had some glitches. Now, I cannot think of a single adverse criticism to do with the bike except two minor ones. Because the inverse front shocks would have contacted the fuel tank, the turn radius is limited (for walking the bike around – it takes several cuts in a narrow soi). On the highway this has no meaning and re-shaping the tank might subtract from the 12.5 liters the bike provides – terrific range at 30kms/l – and some riders report better mileage, whereas I've been winding the bike up lately. The second little tick might be personal; I find that the kickstand is too short, but doubtless this is related to some geometry that I have not spotted.

In sum, I doubt that there is a bike in the market at 250cc's that provides so much so light footed pep so economically, not that it is anything like a sports bike. And as I and others have stated elsewhere, Kuhn Pariya and service are remarkable. Anyone moving up from a motorbike to a motorcycle – and this bike clearly offers that significant improvement in performance – should test ride the Tiger Boxer. (note: I have no relationship with Tiger except as one customer.) This paean is however one of regret; I find that my age and Thai drivers don't mix at speeds in excess of 100 kilometers/hour. So it goes.

post-98988-0-78458900-1292668236_thumb.j

post-98988-0-51073400-1292668375_thumb.j

Hi CMX , i like the modifications you done on your Boxer .

It looks very neat and ready for some touring.

Obviously different people like different Bikes .... and what, to some, may appear ugly is liked by others.

Did you mean this youtube video?

happy trails,

mbox

Sorry but it looks ugly to me .

Ohhh, thats not nice :angry: . Beauty is in they eye of the beholder & this is a nicely styled bike for a 1980ies model :lol: (just kidding).

It has a unique traditional look about it and it sounds like the OP is more than happy with it.

I only have one question OP. When are you going to start to ride on the other half of the tyres (the quarter outer edge on each side of the tyres) :lol:

Sorry but it looks ugly to me .How much is it ?

If it is ugly to you why you even bother to ask for the Price?

And the word "Ugly" comes from someone who is planning to change his Honda Phantom for a PCX :whistling:

mbox

:lol: possibly two of the ugliest bikes that ever hit the road. At least the tiger has some performance :rolleyes:

Sorry but it looks ugly to me .How much is it ?

If it is ugly to you why you even bother to ask for the Price?

And the word "Ugly" comes from someone who is planning to change his Honda Phantom for a PCX :whistling:

mbox

:lol: possibly two of the ugliest bikes that ever hit the road. At least the tiger has some performance :rolleyes:

Not only does the Boxer have the better performance than the PCX or Phantom it is also quite good for shopping trips....topbox & Tankbag can carry quite a lot of stuff B).

Here my ex-250RS in red and not color matching Topbox ( this only became available later but i find CMX's blue and color matching topbox looks great)

post-39208-0-56378800-1292686440_thumb.j

post-39208-0-20931100-1292686422_thumb.j

Mbox

Edited by mbox

CMX, I agree about the suspension. In fact it is the only one I've ridden in LOS that fit me well; both my CBR 150 (RIP) and Ninja 250 were undersprung; the riding I did on mbox's Boxer, even though I didn't notice it at the time, was nice in that respect. A bit "buzzy" for me, but some like that thumper feeling.

dave_b,

Yeah, I hollered long and loud about vibrations at first. I have in the States a Suzuki 650 thumper and it was smooth as a twin. (We're waiting to find out about the cbr250 with its counterbalancing device from a number of returns, I guess).

Anyway, the numbers on the engine and frame did not satisfy Land Transportation somehow (clarity?), so Tiger came and got the bike and took it back to the factory. When it returned (all at their cost), vibrations were scarcely discernible and neutral was no longer difficult to find. Have no idea what they did, but Pariya was working his usual responsibility trick.

With the new handlebars (and I always wear gloves), I drive now for hours with no sense of buzz at all. mbox got different grips, but I don't feel the need. Thing's pretty smooth all around.

neverdie is correct about me whizzing around corners. I drive like a newbie coward now. A Fortuner scared me into some weeds (my error entirely) and I have shoulder pains yet. Nothing like pain to alter behavior. In any case, rather than a all-rounder, I regard my bike as having great utility, with a capacity for play.

PS Costs 72K plus shipping if you're not in BKK; also I selected tubeless tyres (Dunlop), top box, and windscreen.

post-98988-0-93541200-1292717661_thumb.j

Edited by CMX

If you like thumpers it's a hell of a bike; great value and there's been nothing but praise for it on the Tiger/Sachs board in regards to service.

I think thumpers become more the norm here...seeing that the new cbr150r remained a thumper and the new cbr250r is also a thumper it indicates that the characteristics of the single seem to be just fine for thailand and it is possible to sell them for lower price too.

mbox

drift,

Our friends at GT Riders have a number of forum threads that point to a "seat magician" - which is a good name for him.

wwwDOTgt-rider.com/thailand-motorcycle-forum/threads/25935-Chiang-Mai-Handy-Motorcycle-Related-Shops

Replace a dot with a dot, scroll down to #3 and you'll see other examples of his work. As noted, he is on the east river road (old Lamphun Rd), himself on the east side, a few shops below the turn into Rimping. These of course are below the Iron Bridge and Dukes. I had three "fittings" before it was perfect - 2200 baht all in. You have to look sharply for the auto seats in front - as seen in one picture posted by GT Riders. Last few days I've gone past, however, it was closed? G'luck.

If you like thumpers it's a hell of a bike; great value and there's been nothing but praise for it on the Tiger/Sachs board in regards to service.

I think thumpers become more the norm here...seeing that the new cbr150r remained a thumper and the new cbr250r is also a thumper it indicates that the characteristics of the single seem to be just fine for thailand and it is possible to sell them for lower price too.

mbox

Ma

Exactly Mbox. Thailand is not the U.S. for example. In the U.S. I once drove my BMW K 100 RS to Chicago from Central Illinois (250 miles) in 2.5 hours. And I drove long distances throughout the American West so often I had ruts in the road form after me. My Mazda Miata cruised terrifically at 90 miles an hour in sixth gear. But the police would have pulled me over in a heartbeat if I had maintained such speeds in New York for instance and if I drove the way I did in the U.S. here in Thailand I would have been dead a long time ago. When I rented that nice new Honda 150 CBR in Krabi I thought it was great for the roads around there and concluded it would have been a real nice bike to cruise all over Thailand on. (especially considering it's got a sixth gear) Same would apply to the new Honda 150 CBR. And as for the new 250 CBR, so much the better. Last night we stopped in at Big C to do a little shopping. There was a beautiful Yamaha T Max in the parking lot. Now that would be a great bike in the U.S. but here in Pattaya it would be much harder to park than my 135 c.c. Elegance and it wouldn't be as quick either. This is because yesterday afternoon I even beat most Thais going through all the narrow gaps between the vehicles that had piled up on 2nd Road behind Pattaya Klang. No way a TMax could have done it.

In my view the Tiger is increadibly ugly and looks top heavy .It reminds me of the old East German ( DDR)bike the MZ (BUT EVEN MORE UGLY ) imo .

220px-MZ_ETZ250.JPG

Yes, thats your view :lol: and i think noone gives a toss about it( sharing it repeatedly) ...since we also know your taste is liking the Phantom and the PCX :bah:

Do you have memories from old stasi DDR as you bring up MZ now??? Them both have actually almost nothing in common...not the console, nor the tank, nor the shocks , not the wheels , not the brakes, nothing really---oh yes i found something both sit 2 person have an single cyl engine and are available in blue color :blink:

mbox

I think it's a great looking machine, but if it's as expensive as a Japanese brand 250, then most of the appeal is gone. So how much is it to buy.....and where from?

Edit, just read all the posts and see the price now :rolleyes:

Edited by geoffphuket

I think it's a great looking machine, but if it's as expensive as a Japanese brand 250, then most of the appeal is gone. So how much is it to buy.....and where from?

Geoff, just sent you a PM - it is 72000thb (plus shipping and rego should be not more than 2400thb in total ) google for "Tiger sachs club" - you can order it there "online".

cheers,

mbox

>>both have an single cyl engine <<

...another reason not to like the Tiger ,also i would not want a bike that looks like a police bike ( Thai Police ) ;-(

so whats wrong with a single cyl bike?? Seeing that you own a Phantom and thinking of getting a PCX what are they ???

And whats wrong with riding the same Brand / model of Bike as the Police ???

Since you keep repeating yourself over other threads i consider this as bashing and you are trolling.

mbox

In my view the Tiger is increadibly ugly and looks top heavy .It reminds me of the old East German ( DDR)bike the MZ (BUT EVEN MORE UGLY ) imo .

220px-MZ_ETZ250.JPG

My buddy road his CZ in the early 80's from Australia through India, Afgan and back to England. Yes, he took a boat from Australia to India. If the Tiger Boxer is compared to that machine I'd say it's a compliment. I sort of like the looks of that MZ. Thank's CMX for the info on the seat.

Thaifan2,

I know what you mean. On the one hand, a Phantom looks like bikes I've ridden over the years, and I like the look (though I'm growing away from chrome). On the other, the PCX looks sharp - elegant, if I can borrow the word - in a modern way. But if we get away from looks, which most of us will agree is subjective, we get into issues such as riding qualities, handling, and performance. My problem is that I find myself getting comfortable with a bike and coming to like its virtues (and tending to forget the weaker qualities). But however comfortable I find my custom seat and superior undercarriage (as I experience it), I don't know that long trips on a Phantom or PCX would not be better yet. And even if I did, that would apply only to me!

Happy riding,

Just additional info there is a Tiger 250 RS here in Thailand that has done 63,000 km's in 2 years.

So i think that is pretty good.

Yep, charlie just did the 63000km ....and not to forget the appr. 100.000 Police Boxers nationwide. They ride them daily and seem to have hardly any issues...and if issues arise they are mostly "homebrewed" trying to do "maintenance" by themself.

Not a racing bike, just a simple allrounder with proven "technology".

mbox

Thaifan2,

I know what you mean. On the one hand, a Phantom looks like bikes I've ridden over the years, and I like the look (though I'm growing away from chrome). On the other, the PCX looks sharp - elegant, if I can borrow the word - in a modern way. But if we get away from looks, which most of us will agree is subjective, we get into issues such as riding qualities, handling, and performance. My problem is that I find myself getting comfortable with a bike and coming to like its virtues (and tending to forget the weaker qualities). But however comfortable I find my custom seat and superior undercarriage (as I experience it), I don't know that long trips on a Phantom or PCX would not be better yet. And even if I did, that would apply only to me!

Happy riding,

Thank you for taking my comments in good heart .Beauty is in the eye of the beholder .You are happy with it and that the main thing . :jap: