Empower People In Thailand's Rural Areas, Scholar Says

webfact

Empower people in rural areas, Seksan says

By THE NATION ON SUNDAY

med_gallery_327_1086_16849.jpg

Seksan Prasertkul, a respected scholar who was a leader of the 1973 student-led uprising, called yesterday for state power to be decentralised and people in rural areas empowered as part of efforts to reform politics.

He said the centralisation of power had left the government in Bangkok having to deal with many problems that could be addressed and resolved at local levels if local administrators had more authority and local residents were more powerful politically.

"The Thai state is a centralised system. The winner takes all and that's why the leading class fights for power. The fact that we focus on the state, and society is the secondary player, causes our citizens to be passive and our country to lack the foundation for modern politics," Seksan said.

"It is time to stop doing the planning at the centre and enforcing the plan top-down. The locals should be allowed to draw up plans for their areas," he said.

In an age of globalisation, he said, "there must be more power to the people" in order to improve the country's competitiveness among the world's capitalist countries. "If you put a weak Thailand in the world market, it's a disaster for the majority of the country."

Seksan, a member of the government-appointed National Reform Committee, headed by former prime minister Anand Panyarachun, made his remarks in a speech on "Reform of Thailand's Power Structure: Need of the Present Time". It was part of the "Change Thailand with the Civic Power" event held at Thammasat University's Rangsit campus.

Following a crackdown on leftists in October 1976, Seksan and many university students fled into the forests to join a communist-led insurgency. His position before retirement was dean of Thammasat University's Faculty of Political Science.

Seksan said yesterday that although Thailand had fully adopted capitalism, centralisation of power had led to social inequality and expanding gaps between the wealthy and the poor.

"Whether the government comes from an election or from a coup, only a small number of people benefit. I see that centralisation of power is harming the people. We cannot deny this kind of development has caused inequality," Seksan said.

"What is startling is that 42 per cent of the country's money deposits belong to just over 35,000 people. And 70 per cent of the country's assets belong to 20 per cent of the population," he said.

Seksan called for restructuring of the national power system in a way that citizens have larger roles in making decisions about their problems. "We do not deny the central government and capitalism, but we have to adapt. The best way is to allow people to solve their problems," he said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-12-19

I would think to have Thailand divided into States and have their own governance is a good idea. Whilst massively increasing public service people (bad), it will alleviate the control and running of localised communities thus allowing local governance to be on top of local issues. It would help in the micro economic re-evaluation and allow Thai's to work together within a community rather than have everything centralised from Bangkok. It is easy to understand why the country evolves around Bangkok simply by numbers and where the wealth is. But Bangkok cannot possibly oversee all local issues outside of the bangkok city limits. I hope it evolves someday for the good of the country.

Edited by asiawatcher

You cannot empower people that dont know what the word means.

The only way to empower the rural poor is to start with the 5 year olds and educate them with a decent education system. Not the same old same old as used now. But with the traditional influance of ageing family, it will take several generations before any great strides in higher levels of real education, simple common sense and knowledge of a wider world become apparent.

The power brokers at the top dont want lose control, so except for hollow words and no action, higher levels of education for the so called lower levels of society will never happen in Thailand

I would think to have Thailand divided into States and have their own governance is a good idea. Whilst massively increasing public service people (bad), it will alleviate the control and running of localised communities thus allowing local governance to be on top of local issues. It would help in the micro economic re-evaluation and allow Thai's to work together within a community rather than have everything centralised from Bangkok. It is easy to understand why the country evolves around Bangkok simply by numbers and where the wealth is. But Bangkok cannot possibly oversee all local issues outside of the bangkok city limits. I hope it evolves someday for the good of the country.

Corruption is the issue---its bad enough in the p/force--and in some top government circles--but imagine the power transferred to the Jangwats-states.-----------------this is where the corruption is BIG TIME, giving them more power will be giving up totally-the fight against corruption, its these people that are running the job at the minute. Example--Phuket-Samui-Pattaya -Udon. The Idea is good on the face of it---only when the government snuffs out most of the local mafias. Dream on.:jap:

The only way to empower the rural poor is to start with the 5 year olds and educate them with a decent education system. Not the same old same old as used now. But with the traditional influance of ageing family, it will take several generations before any great strides in higher levels of real education, simple common sense and knowledge of a wider world become apparent.

The power brokers at the top dont want lose control, so except for hollow words and no action, higher levels of education for the so called lower levels of society will never happen in Thailand

I agree. Working temporaly as English teacher in a hilltribe school I admire the learning potential of Hmong, Karen and Lisu Kindergarten Kids. We play games together, sing English songs (Old McDonald has a farm), cook pancakes. They learn quickly, their English pronounciation is very good. The local Tambon Officers support more and more the mountain schools, but the Amphoe Officers are indifferent.

There is good and some not so good in just about every government system that has ever been tried. We hear about democracy and its attributes and then someone throws the US into our faces. We hear about state power/responsibility and then California, and other states are brought up.

"The great state of Texas" has some unique characteristics which set it off from other states and then someone points out the products of that system with the examples of 3 presidents.

A province/state government seems to be more adapt at implementing methods to control local politicians/corruption and the suffering from corruption can be somewhat localized. National police forces have time and again displayed the disadvantage of this type of organization. There are many good examples (countries) which Thailand could emulate but the trend here seems to be to follow those on the other side of the coin.

The Scandinavian countries are held up as examples of honest government and police, as well as welfare systems.Its just too bad those appointed/elected to a responsible post cannot admit their inadequacies and ask advice from those who are most successful.

One of the characteristics of the more inept governments, I notice, seem to be those with the most committees to solve social problems are the most inefficient. Maybe it is due to my general observation that, the committees to solve various problems are appointed by those who helped create the original problems.

The other paper has an article ("Local body budgets get shot in arm - PM SETS DECENTRALISATION TARGET") talking about the government increasing the local administrations budgets from 26% to 35% of government revenue over the next 7 years.

I agree. Working temporaly as English teacher in a hilltribe school I admire the learning potential of Hmong, Karen and Lisu Kindergarten Kids. We play games together, sing English songs (Old McDonald has a farm), cook pancakes. They learn quickly, their English pronounciation is very good. The local Tambon Officers support more and more the mountain schools, but the Amphoe Officers are indifferent.

I also agree. If the don't have the education and knowledge to govern themselves.

Well I agree education is the answer. It was a good feeling to read a sensible post it is going to take time Two Generations sounds about rite. As far as Education goes Far to much money is spent trying to teach English. That is time they could be putting into a more usable subject. How many of the students will ever come into contact with a English speaking person. Make it available for those who want it. And if they dont prove out transfer them to some thing more useful

Any sizable portion of the ones who do learn it will only need it if they get in the tourism business a very small percent of the population. Example My wife is learning English. The school she is going to is mostly house wife's such as her. The rest Work in the bars and massage parlors in the tourist area.

Also the English teachers get much more money than there counterparts. That is money that could be spent up grading the teachers in the other useful subjects. That in its self is going to be a time consuming job.

Edited by jayjay0

The only way to empower the rural poor is to start with the 5 year olds and educate them with a decent education system. Not the same old same old as used now......

I agree. Working temporaly as English teacher in a hilltribe school I admire the learning potential of Hmong, Karen and Lisu Kindergarten Kids. ..... The local Tambon Officers support more and more the mountain schools, but the Amphoe Officers are indifferent.

Unless you were sent to a private school in the west, the education you received was only slightly better than what the Thais receive. If you imagine yourself capable of understanding the word "empower" than it is only hubris that allows you to claim the rural Thais are incapable of understanding the term. But the rural Thais understand all too well, better than most of you, the implications of a centralized Bangkok elite that does not want to lose power and is willing to use State organized violence to undermine any attempts to lessen that power. The false leader of the rural poor, Thaksin, understands their frustration and manipulates it to his personal advantage just as the corporate elites in the US manipulate the fears and frustrations of the "tea baggers" whose education level is on par with the Thais.

And why would one be surprised that highland folks have the same potential as lowland folks? I have been living in highland communities for decades and see no difference. Up in the north you might be surprised by your neighbor in town who does not advertise that his/her mother tongue is not a Tai language.

There is some good work being done at many a tambon (subdistrict) office. Many of the OPT (OhPaTa) leaders are democratically elected by the populace and positive change, including local empowerment, can happen. The confrontation between the people and the central government used to be between the elected kamnaan and the Amphoe. But the OPT has usurped many of the roles of the kamnaanand has the potential to be more powerful in representing the people to the State.

The only way to empower the rural poor is to start with the 5 year olds and educate them with a decent education system. Not the same old same old as used now......

I agree. Working temporaly as English teacher in a hilltribe school I admire the learning potential of Hmong, Karen and Lisu Kindergarten Kids. ..... The local Tambon Officers support more and more the mountain schools, but the Amphoe Officers are indifferent.

Unless you were sent to a private school in the west, the education you received was only slightly better than what the Thais receive. If you imagine yourself capable of understanding the word "empower" than it is only hubris that allows you to claim the rural Thais are incapable of understanding the term. But the rural Thais understand all too well, better than most of you, the implications of a centralized Bangkok elite that does not want to lose power and is willing to use State organized violence to undermine any attempts to lessen that power. The false leader of the rural poor, Thaksin, understands their frustration and manipulates it to his personal advantage just as the corporate elites in the US manipulate the fears and frustrations of the "tea baggers" whose education level is on par with the Thais.

And why would one be surprised that highland folks have the same potential as lowland folks? I have been living in highland communities for decades and see no difference. Up in the north you might be surprised by your neighbor in town who does not advertise that his/her mother tongue is not a Tai language.

There is some good work being done at many a tambon (subdistrict) office. Many of the OPT (OhPaTa) leaders are democratically elected by the populace and positive change, including local empowerment, can happen. The confrontation between the people and the central government used to be between the elected kamnaan and the Amphoe. But the OPT has usurped many of the roles of the kamnaanand has the potential to be more powerful in representing the people to the State.

It would be nice if you used English terms we can all understand. I think you were talking about the dog catcher and the Janitor being caught in a compromising situation. Correct me if I am wrong.:(

It would be nice if you used English terms we can all understand. I think you were talking about the dog catcher and the Janitor being caught in a compromising situation. Correct me if I am wrong.:(

You are correct, I should have described the OPT as most members, who live in towns, would not be familiar with that agency. The OPT is the sub-district (tambon) development office. I believe the initials stand for Ongkhan Patana Tambon which roughly translates as the Agency for Development of the Subdistrict. This office is usually staffed and headed by local residents as opposed to the Amphoe (district) whose head, the nai amphoe, is appointed from above in Bangkok. The kamnaan is the traditional tambon head to whom the local village headmen (phu yai baan) would report to. But more and more, the OPT is where some of the legal issues that arise, road and irrigation projects, and local disputes, are carried out leaving the kamnaan to deal with the more personal issues.