True Ultra Hi-Speed Internet

petedk

Recently I haven't been able to use True proxies.. dunno why.

Assuming you have been and are still on a True internet plan; otherwise, you won't be able to use a True proxy. Then again, maybe the proxy don't work for all True internet plans but I would think it would.

The two different True proxies for folks on True internet plans are:

"proxy.trueinternet.co.th" Port 8080

"proxy.asianet.co.th" Port 8080

I'm planning to get True Ultra (Cable) internet to my newly bought townhouse in moo baan. 10Mbit for 699 / 20Mbi for 1299 looks very good on paper. However, I noticed fair use policy on true website but it was all in Thai. So what I understand is if I download more than 6-7 Mbit of my 10Mbit in any given hour, they'll cap my speed or what? Anybody encounter such problem?

Generally speaking, are you happy with True Ultra internet?

Recently I haven't been able to use True proxies.. dunno why.

Assuming you have been and are still on a True internet plan; otherwise, you won't be able to use a True proxy. Then again, maybe the proxy don't work for all True internet plans but I would think it would.

The two different True proxies for folks on True internet plans are:

"proxy.trueinternet.co.th" Port 8080

"proxy.asianet.co.th" Port 8080

Using True Docsis cable both in Chiang Mai and Bangkok. If you attempt to use True proxy from othe rproviders, it usually rejects your requests. But for me it just doesn't load anything. :(

True proxies have been up and down lately. However, the past couple of days have seen some extended downtime. It seems to be an ongoing issue and has been reported on several local forums.

Edited by Supernova

I'm planning to get True Ultra (Cable) internet to my newly bought townhouse in moo baan. 10Mbit for 699 / 20Mbi for 1299 looks very good on paper. However, I noticed fair use policy on true website but it was all in Thai. So what I understand is if I download more than 6-7 Mbit of my 10Mbit in any given hour, they'll cap my speed or what? Anybody encounter such problem?

Generally speaking, are you happy with True Ultra internet?

http://www.trueonline.com/th/product/docsis.php

Thats the link I'm talking about.

2700 Mb/hour for 10Mbit cable. Normally you can download 4200 Mbyte / hour with 10Mbit cable if full speed (From usenet, always full speed). So basically we can download at 64% full speed of 10Mbit cable, which is more like 6.5 Mbit.

20 Mbit package is more like 13Mbit in that case. Still, it beats 12Mbit TOT for 1499 baht.

10 or 20 Megabits per SECOND (not per hour) is the local speed rating for those True cable plans.... how many megabits per SECOND they're capable of.

For example, 10 Megabits is equal to 1.25 MegaBytes of data (1.25 MB). That means in theory, your True 10 Mbps cable plan is capable (for a local connection) of downloading 1.25 MB per second or 75 MB per minute, or 4.5 GB per hour, if I did my math correctly.

Those MB references in the TOS document you link to above are Megabytes per hour.

So they're saying the 10 MegaBits per second cable plan has an hourly data transfer limit of 2700 MegaBytes, or 2.7 Gigabytes....

Dunno what they do if one goes beyond that...

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

With a 10 Mbps cable plan, I think I've been able to get 6 or so simultaneous threads running each averaging up to about 200 KiloBytes per second (1.56 Mbps)... Interestingly, when I calculate it, which I'd never done before, that 1,200 KiloBytes per second total (6 threads times 200 KiloBytes per) works out to a data rate of about 9.4 Megabits per second -- almost my rated plan speed.

Once I got beyond that... anything more than about six simultaneous threads, the additional thread speeds would drop off markedly... No way of knowing whether that was True or other factors.

For individual single threads, I could get burst/short-term speed rates higher than the 200 KiloBytes per thread rate, sometimes 400 or even 600 KiloBytes per second.... But for anything sustained, the single thread speeds would usually drop back down and fluctuate at or around the 180 to 200 KiloBytes per second rate.

I can't read thai so I don't know what happens if you excessively download over the fair use policy of True. Will they cap your speed for the remaining of hour? The day? Whole month?!

I think the normal customary penalty is they send a guy out in a truck to your soi...and then he lets loose a pack of rats, who then scurry up the pole and gnaw through the cable line going to your home.... enjoying a tasty lunch in the process... :D

True proxies have been up and down lately. However, the past couple of days have seen some extended downtime. It seems to be an ongoing issue and has been reported on several local forums.

Could you point me to that local forum?

http://www.adslthailand.com/board/showthread.php?t=34225&p=196358#post196358

http://www.pantip.com/tech/internet/topic/IT3030854/IT3030854.html

http://th-th.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=156146161652&topic=24689

Actually, it seems TrueOnline has been running slower than normal for the last few days, regardless of using one of the True proxies or not. Maybe it related to all the flooding. I'm on a True cable 20Mb/2Mb plan and I've tried both proxies (both worked whenever I tried them), but I didn't seem to get a slightly snappier internet response that I got before when using the proxy. So for the last week or so I have just had the proxy turned off as I wasn't getting any greater speed from use of the proxy nor did I have a need to go to a couple of specific U.S. govt web sites that pull-up with the proxy turned on, but I can't pull up with the proxy turned off unless using VPN.

Now, a few hours ago I did turned off my cable modem/router for about 15 seconds and then turned it back on....the internet speed has been noticeably better after this power cycling. I did quickly check the proxy again and it worked no problem, but didn't seem to provide any noticeable speed increase for general internet browsing based on a few sites I visited....so I just turned it off. Before when playing with the proxy, I also noticed it generally gave me noticeably faster file download speed when using a download manager....but I don't download much/I'm not into torrents. Use of the proxy definitely comes in handy in certain situations but each person's use of the internet will probably determine if they want to leave it on all the time....I left the proxy on for over a month with no problems....for the last few weeks I been operating with it turned off to get a feel if the proxy adds any speed stability/reliability to the system....so far over the last 3.5 months of being on cable internet, my uptime has been 100% with proxy on or off except for one 8 hour period approx 2 weeks ago when our entire moobaan here in Bangkok lost both cable TV and cable internet....True said it was a wide area outage and cover much more than our approx 750 home moobaan. But the second the cable TV came back online the cable internet was back online also.

With a 10 Mbps cable plan, I think I've been able to get 6 or so simultaneous threads running each averaging up to about 200 KiloBytes per second (1.56 Mbps)... Interestingly, when I calculate it, which I'd never done before, that 1,200 KiloBytes per second total (6 threads times 200 KiloBytes per) works out to a data rate of about 9.4 Megabits per second -- almost my rated plan speed.

<snip>

A nice free utility to log and display your down/upload rates: NetWorx

e.g. Daily reports:

nwday-1.jpg

e.g. Hourly rates:

nwhour.jpg

Indeed Jetset, I found Networx a month or so ago and have ended up installing it, a free program, on all my computers... And it works great, and gives very useful information... And I've been recommending it here in threads where the subject has cropped up...

I particularly like that you can set the measurement to Kbits or Kbytes.... and that you can individually select what network connections you want to measure... all... just wifi... just Ethernet... individual network connections... many many choices to narrow or customize your results. I also like its timer feature, which allows you to start the measurement running, say when starting a Netflix movie, and then having it run and measure during the entire course of that particular download/stream, and then stop it to get the results just for that particular session. Good stuff...

The one aspect you have to be aware of is the limitations of using their hourly, daily, weekly, monthly measurements... While those are accurate, of course, most of the time most people aren't trying to use their Internet connections to their maximum capacity on a continuous basis... So those metrics measure the times a person's making the maximum demand on their connection right along with the time it's idling in neutral.

That's why I said I like the timer feature... because I can do things specifically aimed at maxing out my Internet connection and then use the timer measuring feature to see how it responds during that specific period...

Just a note on the NetWorx. From using it download several files of various but known sizes from the test site http://www.thinkbroa...m/download.html the NetWorx seems to be counting both data and control bytes which ends up giving a download speed and count approx twice in size of the actual file size. I was using the Orbit Download Manager to download the 100Mb test file from above site and when using the NetWorx timer function it was indicating approx twice that of the Orbit Download Manager. I expect NetWorx is counting "all" bytes which includes data bytes and control bytes where the download manager is only counting/monitoring the data bytes. Just something to consider when using NetWorx if using it to measure download speed, how many bytes (data and control) you are really using, etc.

Just a note on the NetWorx. From using it download several files of various but known sizes from the test site http://www.thinkbroa...m/download.html the NetWorx seems to be counting both data and control bytes which ends up giving a download speed and count approx twice in size of the actual file size. I was using the Orbit Download Manager to download the 100Mb test file from above site and when using the NetWorx timer function it was indicating approx twice that of the Orbit Download Manager. I expect NetWorx is counting "all" bytes which includes data bytes and control bytes where the download manager is only counting/monitoring the data bytes. Just something to consider when using NetWorx if using it to measure download speed, how many bytes (data and control) you are really using, etc.

why use download manager i use uTorrent or Emule for download things much better and faster

Just a note on the NetWorx. From using it download several files of various but known sizes from the test site http://www.thinkbroa...m/download.html the NetWorx seems to be counting both data and control bytes which ends up giving a download speed and count approx twice in size of the actual file size. I was using the Orbit Download Manager to download the 100Mb test file from above site and when using the NetWorx timer function it was indicating approx twice that of the Orbit Download Manager.

Interesting issue, Pib... Using NetWorx and a 512 MB download from the site you mention above, I tried replicating your situation this morning...and I did not get the same results... as in NetWorx showing twice the actual amount....

I did get some variation, but not nearly the amount you mention.... In my case, the file download as measured separately on my PC had reached about 440 MB when the NetWorx "total non-local traffic" measurement hit 500 MB... And NetWorx then measured about 570 MB in "total non-local traffic" by the time the 512 MB file download completed...

And then when I likewise ran the NetWorx Speed Meter when I wasn't doing anything on my PC, it measured a small trickle download rate of about 1.3 kbts per second...pretty insignificant...

Is it possible you had some other download activity, or even local network activity, occurring in the background when you were running that test?

Remember, in the NetWorx settings, it can be configured to monitor all network traffic including Ethernet, or just all Wifi, or just from a specific network adapter... I did my test on a wifi laptop with NetWorx set to measure all Wifi traffic, but exclude local traffic on my network.

Here below are the results I got....

Download at about 440MB when NetWorx measures 500 MB

post-58284-0-57405400-1318122663_thumb.j

Separate measurement at that point by Firefox Add-in Download StatusBar

post-58284-0-77073200-1318122684_thumb.j

NetWorx showing 570 MB when 512 MB file completes

post-58284-0-63068900-1318122703_thumb.j

Wifi laptop at rest, as measured by NetWorx Speed Meter

post-58284-0-60401700-1318122722_thumb.j

BTW, even if there is some variation, I think the NetWorx Speed Meter results do have some advantages over the typical web speed test results....because they can measure your results over a much broader period of time...in the case of the 512 MB file above, over the course of one hour...

For anyone who's monitoring their network traffic flow in real time, it's rarely a straight even flow line for a single thread...but instead, a series of ups and downs...faster and slower rates... For example, when my file download above hit about the 440 MB mark, NetWorx showed a current download speed -- "current transfer rate" -- at that second of about 761 Kbps... But when the file completed at 512 MB, the speed at that very second was measured at 1.77 Mbps -- more than double the prior rate.

However, NetWorkx Speed Meter also shows you the average transfer rate for the duration of whatever period you're monitoring...in my case, just over an hour of one continuous file download... And that reading was 1.22 Mbps...

Afterward, I noticed the ThinkBroadband site you listed that provided the file download also had its own Java speed test, so I ran that shortly thereafter, and got a 1.7 Mbps reading from that site...obviously measuring a much shorter period of time and data flow than the 512 MB file download.

post-58284-0-82503400-1318124745_thumb.j

So what was my real download speed achieved on my PC this morning... 761 Kbps... 1.22 Mbps.... 1.7 Mbps.... I think most people would agree that the 1.22 Mbps measurement by the NetWorx Speed Meter, taking the average over a course of an hour, is probably the truest indicator.... even if there is some variation in how the data is being measured....

In the test I recited in the prior post, there was a bit more than a 10% variation in the data measurements.... a 512 MB file being measured by NetWorx at 570 MB... If that were the case, then would my average NetWorkx speed of 1.22 Mbps then deserve about a 10% plus increase??? Or was there some other data flow going on that I'm not considering?

Ohh...forgot to mention...the ThinkBroadband site that hosted the file download, and the Java speed test, looks to be a UK site... So presumably the speed test results above are UK to Thailand-based.

Well, this morning True seems to be moving along as normal (last night it was s....l....o.....w) and I'm not getting approx twice the reading with NetWorx. Did the test the same way....only had one window open to the above mentioned web site, started the download with Orbit, and then monitored it with the NetWorx timer. This morning the speeds are pretty much in sync; last night the NetWorx was counting approx double. Maybe it had something to do with True's bandwidth/slowness issue last night and over the last few days....but this morning True seems to be working just fine/normal speed.

Afterward, I noticed the ThinkBroadband site you listed that provided the file download also had its own Java speed test, so I ran that shortly thereafter, and got a 1.7 Mbps reading from that site...obviously measuring a much shorter period of time and data flow than the 512 MB file download.

post-58284-0-82503400-1318124745_thumb.j

Just as FYI, I ran ThinkBoardband Java speedtester (appears to be a UK based speedtester) and got almost the same speeds you got, although I have the 20Mb cable plan and you have the 10Mb cable plan. Goes to reiterate that a faster "in-Thailand" plan does not mean faster speeds to points outside of Thailand except maybe to Singapore which seems to be more of a direct connection.

post-55970-0-76238300-1318126438_thumb.j

Indeed Jetset, I found Networx a month or so ago and have ended up installing it, a free program, on all my computers... And it works great, and gives very useful information... And I've been recommending it here in threads where the subject has cropped up...

<snip>

Sorry, TJG, didn't realise you'd been recommending it. I installed it a few weeks ago - can't remember where I read about it, probably in an email from "The How-to-Geek" or some such site.

Yea, that NetWorx is a nice little utility. Took me a few minutes to figure out I had to right click on its icon to change settings and use other features.

:cheesy: Thanks Pib! Now I know too! I wondered what you guys were talking about with the speed tests and stuff...

Just some update on my True Hi-speed internet application. On last Saturday, my wife had done the follow up call to the saleperson who incharge of my application. Before, he promised us will get it done before our next 3BB bill cycle on 10th every month. The saleperson is kind enough to offer us a rebate of 50% for first 4 months fee. He asked us to prepare an photocopy of ID card and our latest 3BB bill.

Today he came and collect and told us he will help us to get the rebate as what he promised. He also told us they will come to install around mid of this month. Hope I can get it next week.

So, to those who are plan to switch to True Hi-speed internet. You might be able to get some "incentive" to switch. But this may varies from case to case.

Just some update on my True Hi-speed internet application. On last Saturday, my wife had done the follow up call to the saleperson who incharge of my application. Before, he promised us will get it done before our next 3BB bill cycle on 10th every month. The saleperson is kind enough to offer us a rebate of 50% for first 4 months fee. He asked us to prepare an photocopy of ID card and our latest 3BB bill.

Today he came and collect and told us he will help us to get the rebate as what he promised. He also told us they will come to install around mid of this month. Hope I can get it next week.

So, to those who are plan to switch to True Hi-speed internet. You might be able to get some "incentive" to switch. But this may varies from case to case.

Hopefully, the first 4 months at 50% will work out. That's better than the plan offered when I signed up which was 50% off for the first 3 months for 20Mb and up plans if you signed up for TrueVisions cable TV at the same time which included 1 month free service. From one of your emails I'm assuming you signed up for the 10Mb/1Mb plan?

Some concern where he said "he will help us t get the rebate." I t hink there was another member who posted in this topic somewhere or a similar topic where he was promised a 50% discount for 3 months by the salesman but didn't get it because True said they had to sign up for cable TV at the same time. But regardless, good to hear the installation appears to be coming soon although somewhat on Thai time (i.e., late).

It you are hoping for 100Mb download speed to the US/Europe/Farangland you probably won't get it; you'll probably get in the 3-6Mb single stream range like used in browsing, streamlining video, etc., since True apparently limits the amount of international bandwidtd/speed. This statement based on posted real world speeds I've seen in ThaiVisa and other blogs. But if you need 100Mb for "in-Thailand" servers then you'll probably get 100Mb if the Thailand servers you are connecting can provide that much bandwidth output. Good luck on earilest hookup. Cheers.

It also depends on whether one is trying to use their international connection for single stream data, like watching streaming videos or professional sports, vs. doing multi-threaded downloading or similar things.

Proportionately speaking, you'd be able to use a much greater portion of whatever your internet plan's speed is via multi-threaded activity, and a much smaller portion via single stream activity.

Also, the various ISP plans' speed references are strictly for in-country data... For the various consumer grade ISP plans, I don't believe they promise any particular international speed capacity at all.