True Ultra Hi-Speed Internet

petedk

Finally got my True Hi-Speed internet installed.

Having couple of hiccup because initial application not approved due to unforeseen reason. Have to re-apply again.

But 3 days after re-apply, I got my line installed!

True smsed us on the date of appointment which is Today. I was a bit surprise because I don't think most of company worker will work on Sunday.

On today morning around 10am, we got a call from the installer that he will come around 1pm.

12.30pm, we got another called from the installer that he will come in 10 mins time and ask the direction to our house. We was still at the market when he called.Quickly rush finish our thing and went back home.

By the time we were home, the installer is waiting outside our gate.

The installing went well. He did a nice job on the wiring. We give him our suggestion where the entrance and exit of the cable. He took our suggestion promptly and I am very glad he did.

So far I am please with the speed. Sites that I used to visit loaded much faster than my current 3BB... Will report back more later

Edited by mikewet88

Having couple of hiccup because initial application not approved due to unforeseen reason. Have to re-apply again.

True smsed us on the date of appointment which is Today. I was a bit surprise because I don't think most of company worker will work on Sunday.

On today morning around 10am, we got a call from the installer that he will come around 1pm.

12.30pm, we got another called from the installer that he will come in 10 mins time and ask the direction to our house. We was still at the market when he called.Quickly rush finish our thing and went back home.

The installing went well. He did a nice job on the wiring. We give him our suggestion where the entrance and exit of the cable. He took our suggestion promptly and I am very glad he did.

So far I am please with the speed. Sites that I used to visit loaded much faster than my current 3BB... Will report back more later

what speed you have??

10Mbps/1Mbps link. But It is downed now after less than 24 hours installation. :(

Speed is good but reliability is pretty bad for my case.

what speed you have??

10Mbps/1Mbps link. But It is downed now after less than 24 hours installation. :(

Speed is good but reliability is pretty bad for my case.

what speed you have??

i have 3bb utland (premier) its good,but if i use bittorrent and emule to getter bad speed, i want see how u speed are before i take true or cat fiber

The bittorrent speed is good if you can get good torrent seed. I tried a torrent that can achieve 1.1MB/s download speed.

But too bad, good time dont last long. Now my True cable still down and as usual the customer support that promised to call back within 1 hour still doesn't call. Will call again later to stress how lousy the reliability of their service compare to my current 3BB

The bittorrent speed is good if you can get good torrent seed. I tried a torrent that can achieve 1.1MB/s download speed.

But too bad, good time dont last long. Now my True cable still down and as usual the customer support that promised to call back within 1 hour still doesn't call. Will call again later to stress how lousy the reliability of their service compare to my current 3BB

if u have 1,5,10,50 and 100 in speed much diffrent in emule and bittorrent, manny of them in usa/europa have good speed, if i have 5 i get ca 500 in speed if i luky, if i have 10 i have more and 500 in speed in download

I have a true ultra high speed cable connection speed 10MB. I used to get speeds of 1.2MB/Sec downloading torrents now true

has started to throttle bit torrent traffic. So I would suggest anyone thinking of getting a True Ultra slow speed connection to think

again.

Just to be clear given the topic of this thread is True internet... Shariq is using CAT fiber for his ISP...

But as best as I can recall, no one else posting here -- including Shariq's friend he mentioned previously in this thread -- has been able to replicate the fast download speeds he's getting with CAT fiber....

It seems to be a bit of a mystery...

Meanwhile, I was streaming some live TV network video from the U.S. recently, and was getting choppy performance even at the lowest stream rate setting -- 400 Kbps -- with my 10 Mbps True cable connection.

So I switched to my 7 Mbps True DSL connection, and I got better performance on the 400 Kbps stream...with no stuttering... So I then switched to the medium stream setting while still on the True DSL, and I got steady, non-stuttered performance also at the higher stream rate, I can't recall, I believe it was 800 Kbps... And this was morning time BKK time.

That's a pretty bad outcome for True cable.. But I only ran that particular test one time, so it's definitely something I need to repeat and seem if the same results occur, especially now that I have good tools for measuring and tracking the rates of incoming streams, via NetWorx software.

I don't think that outcome was anything related to flooding issues, as I've also noted a considerable slowdown in my True cable performance even prior to the latest natural disaster.

Given that I live in a farang heavy area of BKK, my working assumption is True has oversold their True cable as they've garnered more customers as the service has become more well known. And my True cable speeds have plummeted from what they were originally because now, the cable pipe to my home is being shared by a lot of download heavy fellow farang True cable users.

I'm seriously thinking of switching back to DSL only, and going with a higher speed plan. But I do like have the redunancy of both a cable and DSL connection, in case one or the other goes down... Hmmm.

just an update on how my internet is performing on european server

1571269362.png this is to liverpool although the download speed is good the ping sucks.

is this ping normal to european servers?

Hi,

Just some update on my True Hispeed internet. The True technician finally came the next day after my wife kept called them many times.

Just took them less than 1 hour to settle the problem. According to the technician, it was a misunderstanding with Electric Company that cut off the power supply to the main True exchange. :S

@TallGuyJohninBKK, My Netflix streaming is good. I forced my Roku to stream the max resolution. It perform without any choppiness. All thing run smooth. Doesnt have a moment of buffering while watching for 4 Series of The Even- S1.

So far the speed is good for me. Just the little hiccup on the 2nd days.

Just to be clear given the topic of this thread is True internet... Shariq is using CAT fiber for his ISP...

But as best as I can recall, no one else posting here -- including Shariq's friend he mentioned previously in this thread -- has been able to replicate the fast download speeds he's getting with CAT fiber....

It seems to be a bit of a mystery...

Meanwhile, I was streaming some live TV network video from the U.S. recently, and was getting choppy performance even at the lowest stream rate setting -- 400 Kbps -- with my 10 Mbps True cable connection.

So I switched to my 7 Mbps True DSL connection, and I got better performance on the 400 Kbps stream...with no stuttering... So I then switched to the medium stream setting while still on the True DSL, and I got steady, non-stuttered performance also at the higher stream rate, I can't recall, I believe it was 800 Kbps... And this was morning time BKK time.

That's a pretty bad outcome for True cable.. But I only ran that particular test one time, so it's definitely something I need to repeat and seem if the same results occur, especially now that I have good tools for measuring and tracking the rates of incoming streams, via NetWorx software.

I don't think that outcome was anything related to flooding issues, as I've also noted a considerable slowdown in my True cable performance even prior to the latest natural disaster.

Given that I live in a farang heavy area of BKK, my working assumption is True has oversold their True cable as they've garnered more customers as the service has become more well known. And my True cable speeds have plummeted from what they were originally because now, the cable pipe to my home is being shared by a lot of download heavy fellow farang True cable users.

I'm seriously thinking of switching back to DSL only, and going with a higher speed plan. But I do like have the redunancy of both a cable and DSL connection, in case one or the other goes down... Hmmm.

just an update on how my internet is performing on european server

1571269362.png this is to liverpool although the download speed is good the ping sucks.

is this ping normal to european servers?

loking out at cat its much better and true

• 2 weeks later...

Another update on my True Ultra Hi-Speed internet.

It was downed again since 1am 14th Now till 10pm just now. Make a few calls to True. Stressed to them that their service is very un-reliable compare to my previous ISP.

Less than 3 weeks and got 2 down times incidents! Told them is I am really unhappy and will escalate to higher level if still have such incident.

Now the service is back. But not sure how long it will lasted. Finger crossed

Mike, it was those kinds of outages that led me some months back, much to my chagrin, to bring back my True DSL account as a backup, an account that I had originally canceled after I signed up up for True cable and had it working the first couple months. Then the cable outages started frequently...

In most of those outages, as best as I recall, the problems were local ones with equipment and/or power in my neighborhood, not situations where True's entire cable internet system went down.

Lately, I don't seem to be getting so many of those cable internet outages... But the speed/quality of my cable internet connections seems to have taken a considerable turn for the worse, even before the floods started. But both of those issues likely are location specific, given that I live in a busy, high internet traffic area.

Still, the experience these past months has convinced me that I can't/won't plan to rely on True cable internet as my sole internet provider.

I LIKE to have a fast connection. But I NEED to have a reliable connection. And True's cable has been much worse than their DSL in that regard.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

I evacuated by western Bangkok house on 1 Nov when there was around 1 meter of water in my moobaan streets. My True cable 20Mb/2Mb plan was still working fine. One of the first things I will do when I get back in a week or two (water still too high to go back) is turn on the cable modem to see if the internet is working. I expect it is since I have neighbors who stayed in the moobaan with the water 1.5 meters high who have cable TV and it's still working....since they didn't have True cable internet also (they hadn't switch yet as they still had a 12 month ADSL contract to complete) I can't confirm if the cable internet is working but I expect it is since the cable TV is working. I've been on the True cable TV and internet service since mid June and they was only one 8 hour period during the day when both the cable TV and cable internet were not working for my whole area...expect some truck knocked down a pole or a backhoe dug up a line....True customer service said it was a wide-area outage affecting more than just my moobaan. The second the cable TV came back on that day the cable internet came back on.

As TallGuyJohninBKK mentioned it's probably a location specific problem, but when it's your area that's the only area that counts. So far I'm been very pleased with the True cable TV and internet service from a reliability standpoint....English TV programming ain't very good but the service is reliable.

Now back to reading other ThaiVisa posts here in the province/jungle of Nakhon Pathom using my "AIS Aircard EDGE+ 3G 3.6Mb" (a.k.a., wireless modem, USB dongle, etc) at a blistering 100Kb to 220Kb download speed (most hours of the day/night it runs in the160-220Kb ballpark but sometimes drops down to around 100Kb during heavy usage times...right now it running at 220Kb according to a Speedtest.net and TOT Speed tests. It plugs into a USB port...AIS and other cell service carriers have various models of aircards. Ping time to Bangkok about 50 kilometers away is in the 400 to 450ms ballpark...expect most of that is cell tower/relay delay....but the AIS Aircard service has been 100% reliable since I got the Aircard on 4 Nov and setup was a piece of cake.

Nice way to have a backup internet service for basic interneting and emaling...no good for videos or VOIP due to slow speed/high ping times but provides that bare bone speed you need to read web sites, do email, do internet banking, etc. The plan I initially bought the Aircard under comes with a month of unlimited EDGE+ usage plus 3GB of 3G service...unfortunately no 3G service in my jungle area (the Thai wife's Mom's house)....after that first month is used up I plan to just top-up/buy X-amount of hours/GB download usage so I will always have the Aircard ready to use temporarily in case my main, high speed internet service goes down or I have to run away from my house due to another flood or farang rioting due to no beer in the stores/bars.

Yeap, use of this AIS Aircard has kept my from going crazy in the jungle and allowed me to pay my bills on time via internet banking....and the aircard works just fine with my StrongVPN service. Very good way to have a emergency backup service or if you take your laptop on a roadtrip in Thailand. Of course plugging an internet SIM into your cell phone and hooking your cell phone to your computer would do the same thing.

Time to go...need to go to Nakhon Pathom Makro....they don't have any Coke/Pepsi in stock since most roads to Bangkok are flooded, but they still have plenty of Chang beer....with Chang beer and my Aircard I can survive in the jungle. :lol:

Pib,

Glad to hear that too.

My True cable internet have a up and downtime yesterday. Up for few hours then down for another 1-2 hours. Make couples of call to them again. Mentioned their service reliability suck to the max compare to my previous ISP.

I got a follow up call from a supervisor who incharge of my area. He apologized for the outage and promised to send someone to come check in next morning.

This morning around 11.30am, a True technician came and do some fine-tuning the up my signal strength from 41 to 45...Not too sure in what measurement. The connection is solid till now. Will update if there is any. Touch wood.

Pib,

Glad to hear that too.

My True cable internet have a up and downtime yesterday. Up for few hours then down for another 1-2 hours. Make couples of call to them again. Mentioned their service reliability suck to the max compare to my previous ISP.

I got a follow up call from a supervisor who incharge of my area. He apologized for the outage and promised to send someone to come check in next morning.

This morning around 11.30am, a True technician came and do some fine-tuning the up my signal strength from 41 to 45...Not too sure in what measurement. The connection is solid till now. Will update if there is any. Touch wood.

Sounds like he adjusted your Upstream Signal strength which is important to maintain download speed and a connection also. If the upstream equipment cannot clearly hear your cable modem so to speak the upstream equipment will ask for more retransmissions which slows everything down. And if the upstream equipment just cannot hear your modem it will drop the connection. If I remember right, any upstream power level of around 35db or more should be enough....my upstream power level alway runs between 47 to 50db....and the Downstream Power level runs from 5 to 10db.

Pib,

Glad to hear that too.

Sounds like he adjusted your Upstream Signal strength which is important to maintain download speed and a connection also. If the upstream equipment cannot clearly hear your cable modem so to speak the upstream equipment will ask for more retransmissions which slows everything down. And if the upstream equipment just cannot hear your modem it will drop the connection. If I remember right, any upstream power level of around 35db or more should be enough....my upstream power level alway runs between 47 to 50db....and the Downstream Power level runs from 5 to 10db.

Thank for the explanation.

Good new to me. I just got my first bill. As I mentioned earlier, A True Saleperson promised to give me 50% discount for 4 months. He really kept his promise!

My bill clearly shown it was discounted 50% from the total amount.

Kudos to him.

I was struck by another downtime this morning around 5am till 1pm. Make another few rounds of call directly to the technician and even the saleperson that gave me the 50% discount.

I also record video and upload to youtube as proof of my each downtime.

The technician claimed that only my house had suck problem while other house in my mooban no issue at all. I had requested them to change my motorola modem.

I would like to know which modem is better compare to my existing motorola (Model: SB5101NE)

IMHO when it comes to which modem, cable or ADSL, makes/maintains a better connection when properly configured that the difference is very minor. Yea, if you have a border line physical line connection/signal quality then one modem may connect when another one wouldn't, but if the physical line connection/signal quality increased by say 1 db then both would connect....but get the incoming signal into it's proper/correct range and any cable modem should work just as good as any other "for the basic connection." And for cable modems, their basic configuration is controlled/updated periodically by True head-end equipment....done automatically. I check my cable modem menu settings frequently just to look at the signal quality/level and I also a configuration update was done on date XYZ. Now this don't mean the configuration can't be messed up if going into the modem setup menu and messing things up (not to imply anything).

The different cable modems provided by True depends on what speed package you have and whether you paid extra (around 1000 baht) for a wireless modem/router version. I think TallGuyJohninBKK posted a link/attachment one time from a True support page that showed the various cable modems available and which one you would get depending on the package/speed you signed up for.....but I can't find that post now....can't remember if it was in the topic or another similar one.

Do you have your computer connected directly to/hardwired to the cable modem? If not and using a separate wireless router maybe your wireless router and cable modem are not paired up properly yet. If you are using a wireless router try hooking your computer directly to the cable modem to eliminate any wireless router or computer wireless chip/driver issue(s).

While True says your house has a problem, since the cable modem runs directly from the modem to the cable tap on the main trunk line there shouldn't be any house cabling/wiring involved which means True just needs to get the signal level/quality fixed which is feeding your cable modem.

Thank pib for pointing out.

My line now stable. The True technical team also did the troubleshooting at my mooban. He told me that there cable connection for my street/area was not connected properly and loose. They had did the tighten up and re-check all the connections along the way.

He also told me that there is another house that facing the same problem as me. He told me my problem should be solved completely now.

The modem changing also is not relavant now.

Couple of snapshot on my line signal. The reading should be very good as per what PiB mentioned

Photo11-17-2011-185529.jpg

Photo11-17-2011-185546.jpg

Edited by mikewet88

Yea, those are good metrics, especially your SNR. On my 20Mb/2Mb plan my Downstream Power Level in the 5 to 10db range and UpStream Power Level in the 47-50 db range, with my SNR around 32-33db. Looking forward to be able to go back to my home after the flooding (maybe another week), clean/fix the house during the day, and relax with some 20Mb high speed surfing and Chang beer at night. Right now I have the Change beer part but only an AIS Aircard EDGE+ surfing along at 220Kb best case....but it definitely beats no surfing at all.:lol:

I was hit by another downtime starting 2.38am (yea. I stay up till very late). Just got my line back at 12.30pm.

This time round got 2 True truck and horde of technicians checking in my house. At least 5-6 technician.

Took some measure, checking the connections.

Not sure what the cause yet. Will update later if this line still hold. Finger crossed.

I know the feeling, Mike. Went thru the same thing with True and their cable for a good month or two a while back..

Countless visits out to my home, supposedly fixed, more outages, more visits, supposedly fixed, more outages, more visits...

You get the idea... Finally they did resolve it, and all along it had been bad connections and/or equipment failures en route to my home.

It's the kind of stuff that makes one want to go "postal" on True... :ph34r:

I know the feeling, Mike. Went thru the same thing with True and their cable for a good month or two a while back..

Countless visits out to my home, supposedly fixed, more outages, more visits, supposedly fixed, more outages, more visits...

You get the idea... Finally they did resolve it, and all along it had been bad connections and/or equipment failures en route to my home.

It's the kind of stuff that makes one want to go "postal" on True... :ph34r:

Yes. The True technicians start to check all the connections that leading to my soi. They told me had recheck and tighten up all the joints. They blamed it on the team that lay the cable in my mooban.

Anyway, line is back. Speed is good. I am happy and anticipated the next downtime. Had uploaded all video I took on each incident as a record. Collecting the bullets to shot to higher level if matter still not resolve.

The wife and I went back to our western Bangkok moobaan today to checkout/continue cleaning our house. Water still 65 to 80cm deep in the moobaan roads as measured with a boat paddle....only boats can travel my moobaan roads right now due to the water depth unless a person has one of those big trucks like an Army truck.

Anyway, I turned on the True cable TV and internet while at the house for 4 hours and both seemed to be working fine. I didn't do any surfing/speed test but did use the internet to make several VOIP calls to the States....calls were crystal clear. My neighbor who has ADSL internet said their TOT service was very slow...almost unuseable....I expect some junction boxes are under water and shorting out. I know my TOT phone line was not working/extremely noisy. Then I turned everything off as we closed up the house until we come back in a few days. Hoping that by this weekend the water in the moobaan roads will be down around knee-deep and we can return to the home for good along with the SUV. Floods suck....but my True Cable TV and internet are still working (knock on wood).

True are bloody awful.

I'm on the 8mb, 700baht a month, in Lad Phrao, bangkok.

I've had it for 4 months, the only day it was fast and I got 8mb was the first day I used it, I'll be lucky to get 3mb down even during the night let alone the day. Since yesterday at 4pm, if I start a download or open more than one page or any extra traffic my internet will drop and my router will crash and reboot. I called them up and they are "fixing it" been 24 hours already .... nothing. Don't even mention international speeds or latency because that sucks balls also.

I'm currently tethering my AIS 3g on my Samsung and its better then what I usually get, I really should have got free apartment wifi .....

In a bit of a situation. True went down on Saturday night for my (bill is paid!)

Around that time I switched from a static ip address package to a dynamic one. I changed the router settings to dynamic and restarted but still no Internet.

I tried to call True today but I just get an automatic message saying about 'equipment failure' and I cannot speak to a technician to check what the problem is. <groan>

Another satisfied True Online customer... :whistling:

Unfortunately in Thailand, sometimes dealing with ISPs means doing business with the best of a bad lot... And good sometimes means the best of the bad.

Actually, given the extent of the flooding in country, I'm kind of surprised the entire Internet system hasn't experienced various kinds of breakdowns and outages...