True Ultra Hi-Speed Internet

petedk

More food for thought regarding wireless routers and the different transmission protocol standards and frequency bands used:

http://compnetworking.about.com/cs/wireless80211/a/aa80211standard.htm

http://compnetworkin...f/5ghz-gear.htm

http://compnetworkin...nd-wireless.htm

P.S. After several edits/cuts and pastes the exact webpages I'm trying to link above never ends up being the correct page once I save/post the edit to TV. But, when you go to either of above pages you see other links at the bottom of each page which takes you to some good router info in semi-layman's terms. Surf around this pages a little to get a little smarter on basic wireless router/adapter capabilities.

Edited by Pib

Another thing that can reduce the quality/speed of the wireless connection between your router and laptop/computer is the range/sensitivity of the wireless adapter built-in or plugged into your laptop. For example: I been having a problem in getting my bluetooth wireless built-in adapter to work so I've been reloading drivers and just trying a variety of things.

Today one other thing I tried was to turn off my laptop's internal wireless adapter, plug the US Robotics wireless adapter into the side slot on my laptop, and then tried reloading the bluetooth adapters. Well, this didn't help my bluetooth problem, but I did allow me to see my US Robotics wireless adapter was only connecting to my wireless router at a 24Mb speed...as I carried my laptop upstairs to get closer to the router the speed of the connection started speeding up and I got to 54Mb (the max for my 54G setup/hardware) when I got within about 20 feet. I unplugged this USR wireless adapter and turned back on my laptop's built-in wireless adapter, make a connection, and I've got a 54Mb connection....as I walk back downstairs the connection remains at 54Mb...as I went to the farest corner of the house away from router the speed dropped to 48Mb...went back to where I normally use the laptop downstairs and I'm back to 54Mb. Of course, for my TOT ADSL 6Mb plan, even 24Mb is plenty more than enough of a bandwidth pipe between my router and laptop to pass along the 6Mb TOT speed.

So, for you folks with VDSL, Cable Internet, etc., where you can get speeds above 20Mb pay extra attention to the speed/bandwidth you are getting between your wireless router and your wireless laptop. While you may be getting 50 to 100Mb into your VDSL/Cable Modem and that speed is getting to your router (combined with modem or a separate router), be sure to determine whether your wireless router to wireless laptop is keeping up. And where I said I was getting 54Mb connection between my router and laptop, that really a connection/sync speed and the actual data bandwidth being transmitted may be less...I won't get into that because I'm not sure I understand it (yet). Using a water pipe analogy, if the water pipe size between your wireless router and wireless laptop is 1 inch in size, but you have a 2 inch water pipe feeding your modem and the modem to the router, then you have just created an in-house choke point....your one inch wireless pipe is only going to pass along one inch worth of water although your got two inches worth of water arriving your modem/router.

Now, I need to return to my bluetooth problem...the adapter is turned on...but the driver just won't load (after numerous unload and reload attempts of the latest driver and even earlier version).. and I'm using the specific drivers made for my laptop....bluetooth can be so picky sometimes. :D

Now, I need to return to my bluetooth problem...the adapter is turned on...but the driver just won't load (after numerous unload and reload attempts of the latest driver and even earlier version).. and I'm using the specific drivers made for my laptop....bluetooth can be so picky sometimes. :D

Got my Toshiba Laptop Bluetooth working again. After installing and uninstalling the Toshiba Bluetooth Stack for Windows numerous times over the last week in working the problem (plus attempting a bunch of other fixes), I followed the directions at below web site to get the standard Windows 7 Bluetooth Stack to load instead...and now my laptops internal bluetooth adapter/transmitter/receiver is working again. I didn't have to rename any files as mentioned in the website and right after removing the Toshiba Bluetooth stack I saw a notification that a bluetooth driver had loaded properly....then when the Toshiba removal & install tool for the Toshiba Bluetooth stack said it now ready to reload if desired I canceled at that point. If I had continued it would have deactivated the driver just loaded by the standard Win 7 Bluetooth stack and reloaded the Toshiba Bluetooth Stack with it's driver...a Toshiba driver that my Toshiba laptop won't allow to load properly...and it's the right driver. Strange...but that's computers for you.

Of course the standard Win 7 Bluetooth Stack don't have the bells and whistles nor is as user friendly as the Toshiba Bluetooth Stack for Win 7, but at least I've got a functional Bluetooth on my laptop again. Yeap, the Bluetooth function on computers, especially laptops, can be picky sometimes.

http://www.ehow.com/how_7243567_replace-toshiba-bluetooth-stack-microsoft.html

Just a question to anyone who may know.

Wouldn't Sophon broadband be more stable considering it is cabled in rather than via a satelite as with True Internet. I lose my signal with True TV rather often.

The prices for Sophon are higher and they only offer one package with 1Mb upload (Premium 2Mb/1Mb).

Edited by tropo

Wouldn't Sophon broadband be more stable considering it is cabled in rather than via a satellite as with True Internet. I lose my signal with True TV rather often.

The prices for Sophon are higher and they only offer one package with 1Mb upload (Premium 2Mb/1Mb).

The UltraSpeed True internet being discussed is provided via "cable," not satellite. True also provides TV via cable in addition to providing TV via satellite. But True does not provide internet via satellite. And just because a person has True cable TV does not mean the cable is also equipped to provided internet as that requires additional headend/line equipment....the cable internet is only available in certain areas.

Wouldn't Sophon broadband be more stable considering it is cabled in rather than via a satellite as with True Internet. I lose my signal with True TV rather often.

The UltraSpeed True internet being discussed is provided via "cable," not satellite. True also provides TV via cable in addition to providing TV via satellite. But True does not provide internet via satellite. And just because a person has True cable TV does not mean the cable is also equipped to provided internet as that requires additional headend/line equipment....the cable internet is only available in certain areas.

Thanks for clearing that up. I suppose all I can do is head down to an office and find out if it is available in my area.

Is it available in Pattaya? If so, where is the office?

Round trip distance from Bangkok to LA is approx 13,600 miles as the crow flies/great circle arc per Google Earth (i.e., shortest distance possible). Note: speed/ping test can give different distance readings due to connection routing...in fact Speedtest from Bangkok to LA said the one way distance was 8,300 miles or 16,600 miles round trip. I'll use as the shorter as crow flies back and forth distance for the rest of this calculation, although the speedtest distance is probably more accurate as the internet connection zigs and zags between hops on the way back and forth to LA...it's not a straight line/as the crow flies trip for the internet electrons.

The shortest distance between Bangkok and LA is indeed 8,300 miles making it a 16,600 mile round trip. The zig zag distance would be far greater.

Using your figures of light traveling 60% the vacuum speed in fibre optic cables and assuming no holdups along the way and a direct shortest route, the fastest theoretic ping comes to 143ms.

It certainly makes a mockery of the 30ms pings I often get on the speedtests.

Edited by tropo

Thanks for clearing that up. I suppose all I can do is head down to an office and find out if it is available in my area.

Is it available in Pattaya? If so, where is the office?

Regarding what True is calling their "Ultra High Speed Internet" service via cable, I went to their Siam Square office yesterday and managed to pick up a brochure in English, which I'll post a scan of here later in the day.

To my amazement, it reads as follows: "Service commencing at Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Hat Yai, Khorat, Khon Kaen in selected areas only."

Now, we clearly know it's available NOW in Bangkok. And I believe we've had one poster who's already using the service in Chiang Mai... But haven't heard anything about this from the other upcountry areas...

The English version says "commencing," which might lead one to ask.... commencing when?

For my part in typical True fashion, I had called the main True Online office a few days ago, spoke with their English call center, found a woman who seemed knowledgeable about the package, and the first question I asked was "Is my home address covered by the service?" She went off the phone for a bit, and returned to say, "Yes, your address is covered."

Fast forward to yesterday at the True Siam Square shop.... . where the usual staff seem about as clueless as you can get...; Had some other business and then got to the Internet deal, want to sign up for cable Internet.... Fiddle fiddle fiddle,, phone call, phone call. "Sorry sir, we not have service for your address."

Explain about prior conversation with main office.... Back and forth, back and forth...etc... "OK, we'll send crew out to check your street to see if cable Internet is available there, and call you back within two weeks." Which is, of course, after their current Feb. 28 promotion is scheduled to end.

So, today I'll be back on the phone with the main office...and I got the name and phone number of the CSR guy I talked with at the Siam Square shop, in case I need to put the two of them together... Would certainly like to resolve it before the Feb. 28 deadline.

PS - Since I live in the Sukhumvit area.... at one point in the process, the CSR guy scribbled on a sheet of paper the sois where he said cable Internet was available in my area...

His list included Suk Sois 26,31, and 33. That's clearly not the only sois they're serving, and Pib has posted a translation of a supposed service area list above...

Edited by jfchandler

Sukhumvit 20 22 and 24 and 26 were on the supposed service area list in that translation.

However after speaking numerous times with True - Not available in those Soi's.

Looks like have to stick with VDSL until they get their act together.

Even got one CSR says she will implement the 100mb upgrade for me and that it will become active in 3 days on my VDSL using the same router :) :) They have no idea what they are selling or how it works.

Edited by negreanu

It certainly seems there's some disconnect between what the service shop people know and what the main office people know, or think they know... Not surprising given the way True typically operates...

Negreanu, who was it who was telling you those sois couldn't have service...the main office call center, or one of their outlying retail shops, or both?.

Negreanu, who was it who was telling you those sois couldn't have service...the main office call center, or one of their outlying retail shops, or both?.

Both. Also spoke to the engineer who installed my VDSL - nice guy perfect english and very enthusiastic - He said not in that area perhaps coming soon but he had no timescale he seems to think months or years rather than weeks/days.

Edited by negreanu

From looking at some Thai blogs it appears the Ultraspeed cable internet started going online around Dec 10 based on speedtest results posted in those blogs. I wouldn't worry about the current promotion advertisement saying good through 28 Feb 11 since there are many telecommunications promotions out there that still apply although their ending date is long past...this seems to be the Thai norm for these types of promotions in many cases. And I seriously doubt the plans will get more expensive over time as internet plan costs in Thailand continue to come down...heck, 6Mb ADSL plans now cost what 1Mb ADSL plans cost just a few years ago; plus, free or near-free basic installation appears to have become the norm although promotions make it sound like it's a once in a lifetime thing.

Here in my western Bangkok moobaan the cable trunk line installation contractor finished his part of the installation by putting up the trunk lines, line amplifiers, line connection boxes, grounding cables, etc. But there are still numerous points where the cables at soi intersections where the cables are just hanging there like another box needs to be installed. Supposedly some True inspectors are suppose to come inspect the job, then another contractor or True technicians come in and completed the trunk line installation. Right now, it looks like 90% of the installation is completed, or all the really hard work is done...the next 10% by contractor XYZ or True should go fast "whenever" they start as the other contractor has been done for three days. I'm still relying on a mid March date a contractor told me is when True hopes to start hooking people up here in my moobaan.

P.S. regarding my earlier remarks on my laptop's bluetooth function...well, it stopped working last night...back to the same problem of the bluetooth driver not loading properly...what a pain...bluetooth can be so picky sometimes! I'm beginning to think my 5 year old Toshiba laptop integrated bluetooth adapter don't like Windows 7 (the adapter worked fine on XP and Vista) and I'll need to buy another adpater...oh well, at least they are cheap. (grin)

Like Pib, finally got word from True has gotten the green light to install their service in my mooban next month and I can finally get rid of TOT!

Anyways I asked the sales lady about the 10mb/699th package which I saw at the True Shop at Central Changwattana and was told the same thing as others, is a cable connection that is supposedly faster than the regular ADSL lines, but unfortunately it will not be ready in my mooban until July. She told me not to worry because the package will still be available then.

Will try to get some more information about it this weekend as they will coming to my house to connect the ADSL line.

Edited by arkom

Thanks JFC...good to see an actual English language flyer versus a Google Translated version where the translation barely gets within the ballpark.. I expect the prices on the promotion will be in effect for the next year or so; then the monthly price may drop a little for some of the speeds. This is a major step forward for Thai internet and it appears cable TV along with cable internet is making some major steps in expanding its coverage area in major population areas. And from watching the contractor install the majority of the trunk line in my moobaan of about 400 homes and numerous soi's, it ain't cheap and quick (like just a few days or weeks) to expand the capability to an area/moobaan....I expect the initial expansion will focus in the middle-to-upper income,high population areas. In the low income areas most Thai's are using TV antennas on the roof (or rabbit ears on the TV) or C/KU band antennas with no to low monthly fees to watch a limited number of TV channels (mostly Ch 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, etc)....having to pay a monthly fee for cable TV and internet ain't high on their daily "got-to-have" list.

Edited by Pib

Well, as I've often found, True's technical capacity is often a whole lot better than their customer service capacity... A bit of an update here...

I now have an appointment in the next couple days for True to install cable internet in my Sukhumvit home... the details finalized on the phone with True this morning, including the fact that True does in fact have cable service available on my soi.

This coming exactly two days after a CSR at their Siam Square office, and his manager, insisted to my wife and I that they DID NOT have cable internet service for my soi. And, conversely, about a week after a rep in the English language call center for True Online told me over the phone that they DID have cable internet available for my home. Go figure.

Also two days ago, at my insistence, the Siam Square staff had finally agreed that they were going to send a crew out to my neighborhood to check whether cable internet was available and would advise us further within 2 weeks. That was then followed, quite unexpectedly, by an SMS to my wife's mobile last night, a day later, from True -- which set today's call in motion -- advising that we now had an install appointment scheduled... Go figure....

The somewhat English speaking CSR from Siam Square with whom I finalized things this morning on the telephone was Khun Poy (not the same CSR as from our shop visit two days ago)... In the course of our conversation, I tried my best to get some better sense from Khun Poy of just where they do and don't have their cable internet available around Sukhumvit...alas, absolutely no luck with that endeavor... Every time I asked it in a different way, I kinda got a blank response over the phone.

The only thing I can say is, it seems very clear that the line level CSR staff for True either have little real idea, or are working with totally out of date information, about where they do and don't have cable internet service available. So for anyone who's been denied, assuming you live in a reasonably central city area, I'd advise politely pushing the issue a bit with True, and if need be, ask them to do a site survey to confirm service status for your address.

They obviously do have the ability somewhere within their organization to determine service availability... But for some reason, the line level CSRs don't seem to have ready access to that information. However, as my case clearly illustrates, some part within True obviously does.

Edited by jfchandler

Today when coming back to the moobaan we (the Thai wife and I) noticed a new banner hanging over the moobaan entrance...the banner was in Thai except for numbers such as speed, dates, costs, etc. It said on Saturday and Sunday from 10am to 6pm True reps would be at the moobaan center/clubhouse to sign people up for the Ultraspeed internet. Since we will be in Chumphon (southern Thailand) all this weekend we called the number on the banner and the rep said she would come to our home today to sign us up since she was coming to the moobaan anyway in prep for this weekend's moobaan promotion. At 3:30pm the rep visited our home...we signed-up for the the TrueVisions Cable TV (Platinum package) and TrueOnline UltraSpeed Internet (20Mb down/2Mb up). As FYI, I could have signed up for the 100Mb package but that's overkill and pricey for my internet needs. Installation will occur around the middle of March.

The rep made a point that the cable modem only provided one output and I would need a router to run more computers...I said no, problem I got a wireless router already. She said OK.

The sign-up promotion/costs for the high speed internet are exactly as shown in the English language brochure JFC posted above.

The sign-up promotion/costs for the TrueVisions cable TV are exactly as the current TrueVisions promotion like their Platinum package at http://www.truevisio...kage.aspx?id=39, to included the associated set top box deposits of 2,000 baht per box. As mentioned earlier I already have TrueVisions "Satellite" TV. When the cable package is installed it does not automatically cancel the satellite package; I will need to go cancel the satellite package right after cable package is installed, get my set-top box deposit back, etc.

Today, the contractor installing the cable TV/internet trunk lines was back working in the moobaan and right on my soi...if fact, on my soi they were installing the junction box on the trunk line that allows them to run an RG6 cable from that trunk line box into your residence/to your set top boxes. We asked them again when they would be 100% finished and be able to go operational; they said mid March. That is inline with what the rep who just signed us up also said.

So, come mid March I will surfing on a True 20MB down/2Mb up package for 1,299 Baht/month....and on 23 March when my current TOT 6Mb ADSL contract expires I will be canceling that package--that's going to feel so good. And at least the timing for ending one internet plan contract and starting another one with another ISP is lining up good.

Pib, I had a roughly comparable conversation with my CSR this morning as you relate below... to wit... they don't seem to mind, and even understand, that customers will use their own routers to serve multiple PCs and/or have wireless coverage via the cable connection... They're just making it clear up front that True, unlike their DSL free router promo, isn't going to provide you the customer with a free router, wireless or otherwise.

The way they seem to be marketing the cable internet at large, or more precisely, not marketing it, and/or seemingly making it difficult for customers to find out about it and sign up for it, gives me some hope that it will suffer less network connection than its DSL counterpart... Although, presumably, the international connections will end up running over the same fiber as the DSL ones from True ultimately do.

Still, for 200 baht less a month and 2 MB faster local plan speed (10 Mb for 699 baht per month for cable vs. 8 Mb for 899 baht per month with DSL), I'm hoping it will be hard to complain. And if your 20 Mb plan proves to be worth it once installed, I might even upgrade with them -- assuming the connection is good.

BTW, I think you must have gone out of your mind to be purchasing the Platinum package from True for the price they're asking, and more if you want it on a second service point in your home... How many years old re-runs of old movies and 3 or 4-year-old seasons of TV series from the U.S. (showing FIRST in Asia!!!!) can you possibly want to watch??? :blink: As part of my DSL to cable switch, I also cut back my TrueVisions plan from Silver to Knowledge, now that the NFL season is done and there's nothing of interest for me on ASN... Just in case I want to spend a bit more down the road for your 20 Mb plan... ;) The only things my wife ever watches anyway are the free Thai TV channels and the music ones, which are already part of all their packages.

The rep made a point that the cable modem only provided one output and I would need a router to run more computers...I said no, problem I got a wireless router already. She said OK.

So, come mid March I will surfing on a True 20MB down/2Mb up package for 1,299 Baht/month....and on 23 March when my current TOT 6Mb ADSL contract expires I will be canceling that package--that's going to feel so good. And at least the timing for ending one internet plan contract and starting another one with another ISP is lining up good.

Please keep us updated as the True cable internet will be in my mooban in July, and 10mb for 699 thb is to good to pass up and will be signing up for it when available. Just hope its a lot better than TOT!!

BTW, I think you must have gone out of your mind to be purchasing the Platinum package from True for the price they're asking, and more if you want it on a second service point in your home... How many years old re-runs of old movies and 3 or 4-year-old seasons of TV series from the U.S. (showing FIRST in Asia!!!!) can you possibly want to watch??? :blink: As part of my DSL to cable switch, I also cut back my TrueVisions plan from Silver to Knowledge, now that the NFL season is done and there's nothing of interest for me on ASN... Just in case I want to spend a bit more down the road for your 20 Mb plan... ;) The only things my wife ever watches anyway are the free Thai TV channels and the music ones, which are already part of all their packages.

Yea, but western reruns are better than Thai reruns and my wife likes the farang shows (guess the 3 plus decades living in the States caused that). Heck, with you downgrading to TrueVisions Knowledge I think you have just met one of the requirements for Thai citizenship. Now you just need to pick a Thai nickname and I think you can apply for citizenship. ;)

Pibbie, I get more than my fill of U.S. TV for the princely sum of about $9 per month...and it has nothing to do with TrueVisions.

Combine a Netflix streaming membership with a free Hulu membership and a free USTV Now plan, and it's more than I could ever watch, or want to watch...

And frankly, a whole lot more timely and current than the TrueVisions offerings from the U.S.

Just think about how you can put that soon to arrive 20 MB Internet plan to good use!!! :lol:

Combine a Netflix streaming membership with a free Hulu membership and a free USTV Now plan, and it's more than I could ever watch, or want to watch...

JFC,

You are hurting my head with all this streaming video website this, website that talk. I just want to turn on the TV and channel surf with my simple remote control at more than one place in the home....wake up in the middle of the night and touch a few remote control buttons and I'm watching that farang or Thai rerun....and my CNN, BBC, CNBC, and Bloomberg (none of these newscasts on the Knowledge package...of course many times I think the news channels are repeating the same news they reported last week, month, or year....history sure seems to repeat itself). I'm really only getting the 20MB internet in hopes of speeding up ThaiVisa during times when its running s....l.....o......w; then again, maybe that's a TOT thing.

What about Bubba for that Thai nickname...easy to say and remember, but yet retains an American flavor. If you don't take it I might in a few years when I qualify to apply for Thai citizenship....then again, I may just stick with Pib. :P

Cheers,

Pib

Pib, your wife, I can understand...But from you, I'd expect more... :) This coming from a guy who delivers essays on the intricacies of data cabling and fiber optic transmission speeds.

My Thai wife I don't think has ever watched a TV show via the Internet, at least not yet... Ya, she'll watch a music video clip or some YouTube thing she's interested on on her PC... But the idea of actually watching real TV shows or movies via the Internet sent onto a regular TV seems to be something outside her realm...

At night when she comes home from work and over dinner, it's Thai lakorn and talk shows on TV via TrueVisions cable, which she enjoys, and I tolerate and occasionally enjoy as we watch together. But later at night, after she's gone to sleep, it's my time to watch what I want of U.S. TV and, when I do, it's always online broadcast onto our bedroom TV and with me using Bluetooth earbuds... (Good reason to get your Bluetooth working again???)

When I first got here, I too subscribed to TrueVisions Gold, thinking I'd get, among other things, U.S. CNN and various other stuff I was missing. And then I quickly discovered, even paying TrueVisions a small fortune, no U.S. CNN and only the International version, with its interminable shows on Africa and (forgive me) the sonorous accents of the Brit and similar... Thanks, but no thanks...

If I want CNN U.S. or MSNBC or FOX, the real versions from the U.S., I'll find them streaming online... Now TrueVisions has added finally added the Fox Asia Channel to its lineup for all packages, but they don't seem to be making any promises about whether that all entertainment/no news channel will stay or change to something else... maybe Fox News.. maybe not... So even the right-wing nut jobs can't be too happy with TrueV TV right now. :D

If I want CNN U.S. or MSNBC or FOX, the real versions from the U.S., I'll find them streaming online... Now TrueVisions has added finally added the Fox Asia Channel to its lineup for all packages, but they don't seem to be making any promises about whether that all entertainment/no news channel will stay or change to something else... maybe Fox News.. maybe not... So even the right-wing nut jobs can't be too happy with TrueV TV right now. :D

Roku XDS. www.roku.com best thing I ever as far as TV goes here in Thailand - oh and a Apple TV.

Negreanu, if you know more about this, please do chime in.... I don't have a Roku box, but I've read and heard a lot about them.

I do think Roku is one of the better media extenders for folks living in the U.S. For folks living in Thailand, I'm not sure....for two reasons...

1. A lot of the content available like Netflix and Pandora requires a U.S. IP address in order to receive it. I never saw that Roku boxes had the ability to use their own VPN or PPTP type connection to acquire a different IP...

Similarly, I had a friend who set up a Western Dig WD Live box at my home a while back that ran off my wireless and acquired its own local IP address, with no seeming ability via the box to change it.

2. When they first came out, I emailed Roku tech support because all their online product info was unclear about whether their AC adapters would work with 220V...in addition to 110-120V from the U.S. Eventually, they answered back that their power adapters only supported 110-120V, and weren't dual use. So I'd assume you'd have to use a power converter with them here.

My friend's WD box, bought in Thailand, came with a dual use AC adapter, so that was no problem.

But the built-in programming choices in it were pretty limited....and the remote control and onscreen interface were pretty slow and balky...

So far, for video streaming, I haven't found anything that beats a good laptop with a wired or good wireless N connection, running VPN or PPTP software, and a video out port connection to my nearby TV.

Edited by jfchandler

1. Strong VPN on a Linksys router with DD-WRT (Or google sabai technology for pre configured one shipped to thailand) PPTP or OPEN.

You can run this router on your existing network so you will have a VPN router with wired and wireless n access and a non VPN router wired and wireless which is your original router.

2. Roku XDS is dual voltage AC Adaptor.

WD devices purchased in Thailand are the asian firmware and very limited content.

Other option PS3 connected to above vpn router. I have 1 router configured for US VPN and 1 for UK VPN and the PS3 connects to UK VPN for BBC 4OD uk tv and roku for us content.

Edited by negreanu

Negreanu, thanks for the info on that...good to know...

BTW, Pib, I was thinking about your very useful post, in the other thread on international bandwidth in Thailand, that had a translated version from some Thai (non-True) source of what sois in BKK supposedly were capable of their cable internet service... Your post with the list of those sois is located here...

I kept looking for it in this thread on that very topic, and then finally realized you'd posted it and I'd read it in another thread...

I was thinking of it, and mention it here, because I realized, FWIW, that my Suk soi is one of those on that list as being cable internet capable, as are most of the Sukhumvit sois....

I can't vouch for the entire list, but it was certainly correct about my soi....even though the True Siam Square staff wrongly said the service wasn't available for my home.

1. Strong VPN on a Linksys router with DD-WRT (Or google sabai technology for pre configured one shipped to thailand) PPTP or OPEN.

You can run this router on your existing network so you will have a VPN router with wired and wireless n access and a non VPN router wired and wireless which is your original router.

Just a bit of a less techie translation here... You're talking about either...

a) buying a new router from a 3rd party source that's been modified with the DD-WRT alternate firmware to incorporate VPN and/or PPTP access via the router... in the case of Sabai Technologies, ones that have been configured to work with the separate Strong VPN service, which charges a monthly subscription fee...like similar providers.

b] replacing the manufacturer firmware on an existing router with third party software like DD-WRT.... That certainly can work, but a person also has to be sure that that particular software will play well with the router they may happen to have...

For example, I was checking the DD-WRT software compatibility chart for Linksys 160N routers, and find that for some reason, the DD-WRT firmware supports V1 and V3 of that particular router model, but doesn't support V2... If you do it yourself, you gotta be careful about those kinds of gotcha's and may also have other setting tweaks that may be required.

post-53787-0-48841900-1298695153_thumb.j

The DD-WRT software, meanwhile, does say it works with the Linksys WRT320N router V1.

post-53787-0-00497400-1298695184_thumb.j

OK... I got it!!!!

True's 10 MB cable Internet... installed today....699 baht per month. Paid not a single dime for install and setup, including the cable modem and adding the necessary cable line splitter and running about 25 feet of new coaxial cable inside the house from the splitter point to the PC/cable modem location...

Ran a quick speed test to the DSL Reports L.A. server about 4 pm today BKK time, and came up with better results than I'd ever gotten from True's 8MB DSL....

One test to L.A. came back with about a 2 MBps download, while the next one I ran a few moments later came back with a 4 MBps download from L.A. -- both on a notebook with a direct Ethernet cable to True's Motorola SurfBoard SB5101N cable modem... (Of course it also showed a 10 Mbps connection on True Online's own local speed test).

Real simple on the back... one RJ45 Ethernet out jack, one standard coaxial cable in jack, and a 110/220v power adapter plug. Lights on the front for power, send, receive, connection, and activity.

Had an 11 am appointment. True guy called earlier in the morning to say he'd be late, about noon. Ended up showing up about 2:30 pm, and finished about 4:30 pm. Had to fiddle with some connection issues outside my home to get a good strength signal indoors with the new splitter that sends one line of cable to the TV and the other line to my desktop computer on the other side of the room.

Yet to switch over my router from its current DSL connection. That's the next chore for me to do...

Apparently, there's no user ID or password involved with this, at least on the customer end. On the first cable connection time, I booted the laptop and it came up with no network connection. The tech had me run IE, and as soon as I did, the browser automatically went to a True Online new account setup web page (all in Thai). The tech entered in a couple numbers from my order paperwork, and then created the account. After that, he said, any future reboots or repowers, the modem automatically will connect to the True network.

post-53787-0-42827300-1298889638_thumb.j

post-53787-0-74865100-1298889637_thumb.j

post-53787-0-87257100-1298889636_thumb.j

post-53787-0-29767500-1298889639_thumb.j

Edited by jfchandler