Strange Lines...

..::LegalAlien::..

I recently bought a new computer with dual monitors. When only one of the monitors is turned on everything is fine. But when both are turned on there is a strange faint line (much like the line on a radar) that moves down one monitor, while another moves up the other.

Its not really a great problem, only an annoyance (especially as the system cost 45K - not including the monitors!!!) but I was wondering if anyone knows of any fixes for this?

Hi there,

at first just try to get a driverupdate from the vendor of your graphiccard.

Do you have that problem indepent of the chosen resolution and colordepth?

Is it a dualhead-card in your system or do you deploy separate cards?

Regards and greetings from cold cold Berlin!

exchange1973

The Gfx card is a Asus FX5950 (nVidia Chipset 5900) which supports dual monitors with the use of a converter for the second monitor.

I've got the latest drivers and have tried on a couple different resolution settings.

In all honesty though, it looks more like some sort of minor interference. With that in mind, I tried moving my speakers further away from the monitors (even outside of the room), and tried to seperate the cables so that there could be nothing "leaking" from one to the other... Not sure if that even happens!

But I have still got this ###### faint line scrolling down (or up depending on which monitor) every few seconds or so.

Any other suggestions?

Interferance comes from inside the monitors!!

Shut down one monitor and the moving line will disapear on the other!!

Nothing much u can do except move them further apart... I heard it might help to run them each on a different refresh rate, haven't tried yet though

Hopefully ######'s suggestions will solve your problem. I've been using dual monitor setup for a few years now, since Win2K came out. I love it. However, I use two graphic cards. Very little problem. I am sure XP supports this, though I still am using Win2K personally.

If you can beg, borrow, or steal a good pci graphics card, you might try the dual card setup, just to see if it takes care of your problem.

By the way, my monitors are not matched, nor are my graphics cards, though I will try to match them next time I build a new computer.

Dual monitors are so darned handy! I may even try a triple monitor setup next time. :o

Jeepz

Unlimited posibilities Kwiz...

You can keep open two programs at the same time, eg write a letter in Word and keep a chat program/e-mail-program on the other screen

Stock traders run their trading program on one screen and follow news and real time stockprices on the other.

Flight simulators put the full screen upfront view on one monitor, instrument panel on the other.

CAD (autocad) designers keep their program controls/task bars on one screen and the the drawing on the other(mostly a big 21" screen).

You can go triple or more monitor if you wish, only limit is wether your CPU kan keep up! (not really a problem with current CPU's)!

Let your imagination run free :o:D

Unlimited posibilities Kwiz...

You can keep open two programs at the same time, eg write a letter in Word and keep a chat program/e-mail-program on the other screen

Stock traders run their trading program on one screen and follow news and real time stockprices on the other.

Flight simulators put the full screen upfront view on one monitor, instrument panel on the other.

CAD (autocad) designers keep their program controls/task bars on one screen and the the drawing on the other(mostly a big 21" screen).

You can go triple or more monitor if you wish, only limit is wether your CPU kan keep up! (not really a problem with current CPU's)!

Let your imagination run free :o:D

Interesting..

I can do all you have said by simply Minimizing and Maximizing in a 17" or up one single LCD Monitor.

I can not imagine how you guys work with two huge CRT monitors and rotating around. I will end up with getting a plastic around my Neck or sometimes even a surgery to my backbone. B)B)

I have never seen this and trying to imagine a guy sitting on a huge Table with a huge 17" CRT monitors around and using binoculars to look at the details in the third screen or rotating clockwise reading news and updating stocks.. B)B)

This can not be true..

Guest IT Manager

Kwiz it's great when doing the board and also doing websites. Dreamweaver on the left, 17" CRT monitor, result on a web viewer on the right just by hitting F12. It really is good. Have one client with 6 monitors, all 20" Phillips LCD used for monitoring the boards in the NYSE.

If you haven't tried it, it is easier on the eyes than minimizing or running the other pages over. Also a huge amount faster in my opinion.

I do... :o

1pc with 2 monitors(matrox g400millenium dual head)

1pc with 3 ....(matrox g400 Dualhead + cheap pci vga card)

If u start mixing PCI cards it's a little bit hit and miss, some of them can live together, some don't....

Well..it seems to me now I am getting outdated in Thailand.

To tell you guys, I really hate this idea of CRT's. It's too big and also have two big wires making it more disrupting to clean the dust. We live in Bangkok and not in Chiang Mai. :o

I threw it away and brought 1 LCD recently. Still the wire issue is the same. No luck in getting a wireless for this. Only good thing about it is, now I have enough space on my table.

Yes, the things you guys have said to reason out multiple Monitors has a logic. But I really doubt what is the so much hurry to see the results from another screen when working in Thailand. Never thought that Thailand will give any of you guys such a challenging job.

The Internet in Thailand is anyway slow and to add-up you will get more and more line disconnections time to time.

Sorry..just my thoughts..

Hi kwiz117,

get the CRT's out of your mind!

Think about multimonitoringsystems with LCD-Screens!

I'm a softwareengineer using a workstation with a NVIDIA quattro NVS with 4 LCD 21.3 inch.

Coding, Designing, Testing... all on one System without minimizing some Forms.

Using LCD's will decrease the demanded size of your desk.

Regards.

exchange1973.

Anyway, you use a system according to your needs...

Kwiz does have a point in not seeing a reason for an expensive multi LCD monitorsystem, just for some recreational, laid back computer usage!

I think we're just pointing out here what the possible uses for a multimonitor sytem are, and with what advantages...Which was Kwiz's first question to start with, and to which he got a couple of personal opinions :o

Everybody needs to figure out what their needs are, but it's certainly nice to know what the options are!!!

There can be several cause of the interference. Like Monty’s fine pic reminded me of my old profession of Trading Systems manager with about 120 traders with Montys setup. Started with CRT then went to LCD's. We put in over 400 Screens. God I wouild love to have a Bridge or a Routers feed.

Trading my book just is not the same

Here are the trouble shooting ideas.

1) Make sure the VGA cables arn't touching any cables.

2) Put a VGA cable filer on. You know those magnets that seem to always get tossed because no one ever thinks they do any good.

3) Grab both cables and actively move them around. Need two people for this. Cables do short out or the installation gets warn out.

3) Make sure you have a real ground. You know a 3 prong plug that goes into the wall. (with the 220 I have seen a lot of systems that are not ground and have lots of strange display issues)

4) Most likely cause. (If you are using an DVI to VGA adapter for the second monitor. Check to make sure it's tight. I have seen a lot of issues with those. (Replacing it can be the simplest)

5) Move the monitors apart and see if the lines go away. If they do you know one of the monitors has a leak. For some reason the electrons seem to get out. Not really sure of the exact technical explanation. Then you know you have to spends some cash.

6) Video card issues. Unlikely

The basic rule of thumb start with the simple and work inward. Once you have ruled out something it make the rest a lot simpler.

Oh for you Trader Guys.

There are a few system tweaks to help your displays.

1) Uncheck show content while dragging.

2) Make you swap file static. 1.5 times ram.

3) Do a weekly deletion of tmp and tilda files.

4) Defrag one a weekly basis.

5) CPU scheduling one NT and 2000 should be I the middle. XP for Programs.

We had issues with our NASDAQ Level 2 – 3 inside market delays when charting programs were being used.

Several options depending on VGA cards installed...

Usually you just get a bigger desktop, the two monitors next to each other are considered to be one very wide screen! When you move your mouse to the right, the cursor just disapears from 1 screen and appears on the second...

You manage your two screens from the Display properties in Windows.

First you tell windows how the two screens are positioned relative to each other. This makes Windows know where your cursor has to appear on screen 2 when you run of screen 1 :o

You can drag windows around over your screens, maximize one window on screen 1, another on screen 2...

Once you have it installed it's pretty straightforward to use :D

Another thing I do at home is connect my second vga output on my Videocard (Matrox g400) to my LCD projector in my livingroom and when i run Powerdvd, it'll keep the controls on monitor1 (on my desk) but sends the movie to my projector(much better image compared with connecting a dvd-player to the projector! B) )

Yes George, but be sure to use a PCI card, NOT an AGP card since your motherboard's on-board VGA uses the AGP port...

Any card most probably will do, certainly to experiment a bit around B)

This is by the way how most people start using multimonitor systems...an old unused VGA card and a secondhand 15" monitor...can be picked up for less then 2000 Baht and so much fun to use B)

PM me if you want some more specific info before u go out and purchase nice expensive LCD screens :o:D

Yep George no problem at all...just pop in any PCI VGA card (16mb upwards since you'll run your LCD's at least at 1024*768) and hook up your monitors...sounds like you got a little bit older motherboard, S3 savage aren't used for a while now...

Used to run my first multimonitor on 500 mHz PC's so don't worry about using a slower PC

Haven't had very good experiences with brand name PC's as well, try to avoid them !...they sometimes try to hide their BIOS setup's behind weird keystrokes, just so you would have to go to their technicians if you want to change something :o

Many of them come without drivers for the hardware, only a recovery set of CD's if something might go wrong...

I'll swear with a self assembled box anytime :D anything goes wrong, at least I know I have to hit myself on the head B)

My Compaq has a problem using multi output VGA cards. It won't. I am changing the mummy board next week.

IT MGR

What model Compaq are you having issues with?

What VGA card are you using?

We used the Deskpro2000-6000 AP400 – 550 and the EN400 -600. Only had a few tweak able issues with some configurations. We had 120 traders with 3 -4 screens per CPU. CRT – 18” Flats

Our video cards were the Colorgraphic, Bloomberg, Matrox, etc..

Right now if you guys are looking for a great deal on Flats. In IT city top floor of Pantip there is an 17” ACER for15,000. The only problem is it is VGA only. But heck for 10,000 baht I can live without DVI.

One thing the main difference between 15” and 17” is the native or optimal screen resolution. 15”s only like 1028 x 768 and the larger screens can handle 1280 x 1024.

For you all with eyes that need bigger size we found that because Flat panels are much sharper you can usually go up one resolution setting from CRTS.

Also the power consumption is about a quarter of a CRT.

Guest IT Manager

5000 series desktop Presario. I am going to chuck the m/b into a toy for my son, then it will be a 4 PC household. He sent his first e-mail to his 31 year old Aussie girlfriend last night. I was quite the proud Dad.

IT

hi' all

I have changed my grafic card for a chaintech with N'Vidiacip FX5200 128mb :D

as all the FX from N'Vidia you have two output for monitors, one VGa and a DVI,

no problem for the VGA, but on the DVI,if you use a VGA monitor you must have a "good-quality adaptator" ... or plug a monitor with a DVI plug, tft or lcd ...

this should resolve the problem.

and may I say, don't put them too close together ...

a VGA has some frequencies ... and if low quality one, it might not be really properly shielded :o

and get yourself a real grounded plug for all computer's system ... basic

hope it helps B)

francois B)

5000 series desktop Presario. I am going to chuck the m/b into a toy for my son, then it will be a 4 PC household. He sent his first e-mail to his 31 year old Aussie girlfriend last night. I was quite the proud Dad.

IT

Oh Presario, never played with them. Glad to hear that he is using is for good things.