Thai Academics Call For Safer Buses And More Rigorous Standards

webfact

Academics call for safer buses and more rigorous standards

By Chularat Saengpassa

Sirinart Sirisunthorn

The Nation

The horrific crash in Malaysia on Monday that killed 27 people, including 25 Thais, prompted academics yesterday to urge authorities to tackle a range of concerns, such as bus structures and safety measures, plus drivers' unfamiliarity with routes, and drivers' who doze off at the wheel.

Dr Thanapong Jinwong, from the National Health Foundation's Academic Centre for Road Safety, said it was time to discuss tour bus standards. A survey had found 71 per cent of bus accidents resulted from speeding, followed by: suddenly cutting in front of other vehicles - 9 per cent; and overtaking other vehicles at prohibited spots - 3 per cent, he said.

Drivers dozing off or being distracted for merely 3-4 seconds while a vehicle was running at 100km/hour could cause it to dash forward out of control for over 100 metres, he noted.

Bus structure could also contribute to an accident, especially in a double-decker bus, which were not suited to high speed or turning on winding roads as they could overturn or lose control more easily than normal buses, he said.

Dual-deck buses should not be used as tour buses, he said.

Lecturer Sattrawut Ponboon, from the Asian Institute of Technology's Thailand Accident Research Centre, said 186 public buses had been in accidents in this country between January and August, killing 148 people and injuring 1,778 others. Some 85 per cent of accidents resulted from driver behaviour such as speeding, suddenly cutting in front of other vehicles, and dozing off behind the wheel - followed by unsafe systems such as a brake malfunction.

The academics urged the government to try to ensure safer group tours, which usually use buses because they are a cheap way to travel. Many tour firms use four-metre-tall double-deckers with large glass windows, and some even add a tonne of extra weight by shifting to an NGV (gas) engine.

The academics said that all double-deck buses should have basic safety tools, including a retarder system to balance the bus' weight while braking, and safety belts for all seats.

They also want bus drivers who are familiar with routes and have driving experience. That would mean a stricter issuing of driver's licences, and a second driver on trips in excess of 400km.

GPS devices could monitor drivers' behaviour behind the wheel. Travellers should be encouraged to choose tour packages with good safety records, and all tour buses should be insured so accident victims were covered, they said.

The setting up of a rehabilitation fund would be helpful for accident victims to recover and file lawsuits, they urged.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-12-22

some scary statistics in there... I am curious about the speeding related accidents... are they single vehicle accidents???

having travelled Thailand and Malaysia a bit by bus, the driving on busses isn't great...

some scary statistics in there... I am curious about the speeding related accidents... are they single vehicle accidents???

having travelled Thailand and Malaysia a bit by bus, the driving on busses isn't great...

What about anti roll bars--any bus overturning automatically squashes the passengers. Buses have bus lanes--YES its the outside lane, everyone has to illegally overtake on the inside. Car speeds on highways restricted to 90 kph....Buses unrestricted....Formula 1 style, some must be doing 120kph-plus when they overtake. Do academics have to be the ones to advise the transport ministry on safety. Does that mean that the ministry hasn,t brains enough. Better the academics run the department, and the ministry go back to school. Most of the government departments here do not seem to have a clue.

If the Govt was serious about any of this they would have electronic governing on all heavy vehicles limited to 100kph. Most European, US and Australian transport systems demand them. Limit the speed of the machines then put the drivers through the rigours of such training as in the UK Passenger Service Vehicle tests (PSV - the toughest I know of). Drivers overall in Thailand are appalling with limited experience other than speed, and have no idea how to handle 8-12+ tonnes in dangerous situations.

I drove coaches, heavy trucks for years, all over US, all over Australia and all over Europe and Asia. I have seen what 10:00 x 20 tyres can stand in speed and heat, ditto 11:00 x 22.5 and they explode and blow out if continually traveling at 120 kph for hours on end. They were designed for weight, not speed! Govern the motors, train the drivers and keep them working no more than 12 hours a day with minimum 10 hours between shifts at the wheel. Usually they run 5 + 5+2hours maximum and that allows meals and rest. A drivers log book system as I have used for years, is ideal and the police can check driver fatigue at weigh bridges or road side checks. Similarly, there are electronic tachographs that log vehicles speed, engine continuous running times and stops. If a vehicle exceeds speed, police in Europe fine the driver retrospectively.

Finally introduce a zero drug and alcohol tolerance for professional road users, trucks, buses, and taxis. It's a start.

Edited by asiawatcher

Thai bus/tour bus drivers are not good, but go to Bangladesh for the really horrific accidents - on an almost daily basis. I have had to drive into drainage ditches to get out of the way of two buses, racing side-by-side down the road (single lane each way) without any thought for other road users. They are all insane.

Two minor points I would raise. I suspect that the toughest driving test in the UK is for the Metropolitan Police drivers of squad cars. At several times during the test they are asked to identify at least the colour of the two cars immediately behind them. Any coming together and the driver is suspended immediately until a full inquiry is carried out.

It used to be that to obtain a PSV licence a police check was carried out on the applicant and those convicted of anything other than minor offences failed. A popular way of gaining a PSV licence was to drive a bus for a while.

I do wish these busybody pontificating academics would limit their activities to fighting to ensure that Thailand had a much improved education system. I'm not inclined to take much notice of people who grant degrees to those who do not know their a*se from their elbow - particularly in relation to the medical profession. Amazing that these so called know alls allow themselves to be diverted so that they have time to worry about the tightness of a lady's blouse or the brevity of her skirt. Those are matters that I, and others of my ilk, will deliver our recommendations.

Two minor points I would raise. I suspect that the toughest driving test in the UK is for the Metropolitan Police drivers of squad cars. At several times during the test they are asked to identify at least the colour of the two cars immediately behind them. Any coming together and the driver is suspended immediately until a full inquiry is carried out.

It used to be that to obtain a PSV licence a police check was carried out on the applicant and those convicted of anything other than minor offences failed. A popular way of gaining a PSV licence was to drive a bus for a while.

I do wish these busybody pontificating academics would limit their activities to fighting to ensure that Thailand had a much improved education system. I'm not inclined to take much notice of people who grant degrees to those who do not know their a*se from their elbow - particularly in relation to the medical profession. Amazing that these so called know alls allow themselves to be diverted so that they have time to worry about the tightness of a lady's blouse or the brevity of her skirt. Those are matters that I, and others of my ilk, will deliver our recommendations.

Great post!!!! biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

When I read this and didn't get beyond the headline my first thought was: 'Thailand academic - that's an oxymoron'.

They wish to alter bus specifications and yet apply statistics that account for we'll over 80% of accidents. Those 80% all are attributed to driver error. The bus does not drive itself [71%], or cut in [9%], or overtake [3%]. And yet they wish to redesign buses!

These people are academics? These are the brains think tank of the Thai nation?

They even add 'drivers falling asleep' and yet provide no stats but call for bus design and provide no stats, or evidence or anything. There's no even an anacdote as none of them probably travel on a bus.

What a bellicous piece of idle band wagon jumping. They know nothing about the subject of bus design or operation yet criticise it. We all know about Thai driving standards and how appalling they are. They even admit so much but don't have the courage or sense to call for a change.

These people are supposedly the cutting edge of Thai academia.

I wouldn't let them deliver my paper.

Useless.

Yes, but they will get paid a lot of money to design a bus that will never be built and then the politicians will import them from another country at 5 times the normal price and get a huge cut, and the customs people will hold them for quite a while and get another cut and so and so on. In the meantime, drivers will fall asleep, cut in front , speed etc. etc. etc.

Stay tuned Season 2 will start after the next election.