Internet/wi-fi Access In Accommodation

Hi all!

My wife and I are looking to come to Bangkok in October for a couple of months on a mixture of business and pleasure. On the business side, it is vital that we have broadband access - either through an ADSL connection in the room, or through wi-fi in the area. We are looking to pay anything up to around 20,000 Baht per month, and to be situated near a BST stop. Can anyone recommend anywhere? If there is a place available that doesn't have access in the accommodation, but does have a business centre, can anyone tell me the average cost per hour of internet access? Any advice on this matter would be greatly appreciated!!!

Jez

@ a lot of big appartment blocks 100+ suites/rooms in the 20k+ per month bracket you will find multiple unsecured wireless networks.. Last time I checked there were 4 avaliable from my balcony, just with the standard issue built in laptop wireless.. A guy who lives on a lower floor picks up a different 3, with a repeater I woulda thought there will be 7 to choose from :o

Personally I would not count on or rely on riding on someone else's WiFi network if it is critical to your day-to-day business. I can only 'see' (with NetStumbler) two WiFi networks and they are both locked down. For the OP you might just ask about internet access (wired/wireless) when you are looking at apartments. Also ask about the fixed line and if DSL is available. Alternatively, there are many, many internet cafes and some allow you to plug your own laptop into their wired network paying the standard fee ( b30 ~ b120 per hour as a range ). Many establishments (e.g. Starbucks) have WiFi available for a fee. KSC WiFi is the WiFi provider for Starbucks and you can buy pre-paid cards. A twenty (20) hour KSC card lists for b1,500 (but available for as low as b1,339 at some outlets), so b75 per hour. TrueWiFi is another service widely available, maybe ~ 100 hotspots in/around Bangkok. Lastly if dial-up is an option then there are many, many choices. I use CSLoxInfo which is less than b7 per hour with a one-time local access charge of b5 per call (for me anyway).

I don't know for sure. but somebody told me that if you have a DTAC account, you can get access to the wi-fi at all the Starbucks for free. this info is about 4 months old. so, maybe it has changed. doesn't hurt to check it out.

I don't know for sure.  but somebody told me that if you have a DTAC account, you can get access to the wi-fi at all the Starbucks for free.  this info is about 4 months old.  so, maybe it has changed.  doesn't hurt to check it out.

That promotion ended on/about 4 August 2005, unfortunately.

I don't know for sure.  but somebody told me that if you have a DTAC account, you can get access to the wi-fi at all the Starbucks for free.  this info is about 4 months old.  so, maybe it has changed.  doesn't hurt to check it out.

Hi All,

Thanks for the info... I am jezchesters wife and have been looking at possible accommodation too. The Grand Hi-Tech Tower Resort looks good from their site and very reasonably priced. Does anyone have any first hand information about this place?

Thanks!

Laura

Hi All,

Thanks for the info... I am jezchesters wife and have been looking at possible accommodation too. The Grand Hi-Tech Tower Resort looks good from their site and very reasonably priced. Does anyone have any first hand information about this place?

Thanks!

Laura

is that the place off soi ekkamai cross street petchaburi?

if so, I looked at that place once. has studio size rooms. one of the cheapest around at around 5k baht a month that has a swimming pool. the rooms that I saw had carpets. and I don't like carpets that are soiled. so, I decided not to stay there.

rca, and all the trendy places on thonglor are nearby.

transportation wise, you would have to take buses because the nearest BTS is about 8 blocks away. good thing is that the buses off the main street are frequent, and will take you to most locations in the city. traffic is a big thing to consider though.

bus #113, 60, 23, 72, 93 that go along that place will take you to many places in the city. there is also a BTS shuttle bus that goes up and down ekkamai.

I looked at this place about 5 years ago. so, it may have changed since then.

Hi All,

Thanks!

Laura

if so, I looked at that place once. has studio size rooms. one of the cheapest around at around 5k baht a month that has a swimming pool. the rooms that I saw had carpets. and I don't like carpets that are soiled. so, I decided not to stay there.

transportation wise, you would have to take buses because the nearest BTS is about 8 blocks away. good thing is that the buses off the main street are frequent, and will take you to most locations in the city. traffic is a big thing to consider though.

bus #113, 60, 23, 72, 93 that go along that place will take you to many places in the city. there is also a BTS shuttle bus that goes up and down ekkamai.

Thanks for your reply haha... As I don't know Bangkok very well yet I'm not exactly sure where it is. You can check their website at http://www.grandhitechtower.com/hitech2/home/?lang=en to see if we're on the same page.

L x

Hi All,

Thanks!

Laura

Thanks for your reply haha... As I don't know Bangkok very well yet I'm not exactly sure where it is. You can check their website at http://www.grandhitechtower.com/hitech2/home/?lang=en to see if we're on the same page.

L x

just checked the website, and yes, it looks like it is the same place I looked at about 5 years ago. it looks like they remodeled a little. the pictures look good. but pictures can be misleading sometimes. I would look at the place first hand before taking the leap.

like I said, it is one of the cheapest apartments in the city that has a swimming pool.

but unless you want to spend most of your time in that area, you may find yourself on the bus for a long time coming and going. the traffic jams can drive you up the wall.