Ducati: New Factory In Thailand

MrYogi

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not that I don't want any misfortune to happen to the workers in Bologna, but great for the enthusiasts in Thailand who have been paying through the nose for their passion.

Will soon find out I would imagine

B) :jap:

Edited by Garry

This article is dated December 16, 9 days ago. I have not seen any mention of this in a Thai source. I wounder if this may not be a ploy by Ducati against the union.

That's interesting and I wonder how this will work with the planned takeover by Mercedes.

MILLE GRAZI Signor Torcchio!!! This is the answer to my tearful prayers, having left my Ducs behind in the Colonies - had pretty much given up on ever having a Superbike in LOS.

Actually, outsourcing's not a new modus operandi for Ducati, as they previously assembled some Asia-bound Cagivas - when Cagiva owned Ducati - in Malaysia to get around the ruinous import duties on bikes to be sold on those countries. I have one of their seven-speed Mitos, and believe me, it's completely Italian! Ducati also once apon a time bought motors from a Spanish company - the infamous self-exploding parallel twins. But that's another story rolleyes.gif best left in DMH's musty catacombs.

Also, I don't believe the Thailand facility will hurt the Bologna workers, and may help them due to greater overall cashflow to the company, as it sounds like only assembly of the bikes headed to the Asian countries with the ridiculous import tariffs will be outsourced. It should easily increase overall sales volume by creating markets in which DMH was priced out of by Japanese manf's who already have assembly plants there. Also, it appears that DMH is smartly readying themselves for the Asia regional free trade association coming up in a few years. Smart, very smart!

This article is dated December 16, 9 days ago. I have not seen any mention of this in a Thai source. I wounder if this may not be a ploy by Ducati against the union.

That's interesting and I wonder how this will work with the planned takeover by Mercedes.

blink.gifuh, HUH? What are you referring to?

blink.gifuh, HUH? What are you referring to?

Better to let you click on this link and see the different links on what is being discussed with the Ducati / Mercedes-AMG planned partnership.

Ducati's seem to sell well in Thailand at their current inflated prices, so perhaps, like Triumph with their Thai BOI factory, this will benefit the company with larger margins and lower labor costs but not the consumers with lower prices?

Its not going to be easy for Ducati to pull a kwaker.

Ducati uses european suppliers, most of them not present as makers in LOS, thus parts need to be imported. While the japs bikes uses japs parts made in LOS, same suppliers as the car industry who have been here for decades.

To qualify for the low kwaker taxis, 70-80% of the bikes parts must be LOS made

Ducatis LOS operation is most likely to be similar as Triumph, duty free "import" of parts to their factory in a BOI zone, but still considered an imported bike when sold in LOS. IOW no change in Thai retail price

Ducati's seem to sell well in Thailand at their current inflated prices, so perhaps, like Triumph with their Thai BOI factory, this will benefit the company with larger margins and lower labor costs but not the consumers with lower prices?

From the article..

The company will delocalize the final assembly stage of their motorcycles destined for the Asian markets in order to get around high import duties and taxes.

So while they may keep margins it would hint that Ducati are looking to make more of a splash with asian sales (as Asia rises economically) much like the KTM bajaj partnership. Tho I agree that its highly unlikely that Ducati would try to compete at the bottom end much.

is ducati tagged as luxury good? if so price wont change much. look at bmw local factory double price.

Locally assmbled BMW are made from mostly imported parts, thus importduty on parts, thus the price in LOS.

While locally made Camry, Accord and Teana are made from LOS made parts, thus the low retail price

With the high spec on thes japs in LOS and the low spec on BMW smalle engine business models, the japs would cost more than BMW in europe and US

From the article..

The company will delocalize the final assembly stage of their motorcycles destined for the Asian markets in order to get around high import duties and taxes.

So while they may keep margins it would hint that Ducati are looking to make more of a splash with asian sales (as Asia rises economically) much like the KTM bajaj partnership. Tho I agree that its highly unlikely that Ducati would try to compete at the bottom end much.

Ducati assembled in BOI zone from imported parts, will avoid importduty to all Asean markets, and lowered duty to Japan, OZ and some other markets.

Just read the article - wow that looks like pretty definite information there.

Going from nothing to locally made Ducatis in a short 5 (est.) years kind of blows my mind.

If they start building a factory now I guess new bikes might be rolling off the production lines in a year or so? 2 at the most.

Ducati must be expecting the emergence of a middle class in SEA. BMW meanwhile is happy to sell to the rich only - which makes sense when there is no middle class, only rich and poor. The poor can't afford a BMW anyway, the rich don't care if they have to pay 2x or 3x.

If Ducati avoids the import duties as Kawasaki has done with some of their bikes, then they will likely be priced similarly to prices in the states, as Kawasaki is. Just for fun, lets compare current Thai prices to current US prices on a few bikes and see just what this might mean for Ducati Thailand prices. ;)

Hypomartard EVO SP: Thailand Price: 878000 baht ($29,000USD) US Price: $14,495USD = (438,000 baht)

Monster 796 non-ABS: Thailand Price: 580,000 baht ($19,200USD) US Price: $8,500USD (256,000 baht)

848 EVO Thailand Price: 899,000 baht ($30,000USD) US Price: $12,995USD (392,000 baht)

1198R Course Thailand Price: 2,890,000 baht ($95,000USD) US Price: $39,995USD (1,325,000 baht)

scan0012.jpg

Ducati made in Thailand! Next you will be telling me Harley Davidson parts are made in China!

Ps: I just stuck my head out the door of the internet shop and yelled out to the moto taxi guys at the corner......and they said they would stick with Honda and Yamaha. :)

Ducati made in Thailand! Next you will be telling me Harley Davidson parts are made in China!

Ps: I just stuck my head out the door of the internet shop and yelled out to the moto taxi guys at the corner......and they said they would stick with Honda and Yamaha. :)

Actually, it is a fact....HD are/have already moving production of HDs to China!!! The manufacturing plant in US is closing.

It was discussed on this forum a few months ago.

Hmm, now everybody will be riding The Duc. (maybe me as well) but think about the poor guys who has been paying big B for them in the past, and will the Duc sell now when all this talk is going on? will they build them here i wonder.

No sour grapes from my end to be honest; it is what it is when I bought my 999S. The best part is that once it does come to fruition, a lot of Ducati furniture will be for sale at good prices in the future. I will be keeping an eye out once it's all said and done. B)

I'm sure he'll let you 'ride bitch' :lol:

Ok, as long as it's not on the way home from Patong at 3am! :)

You dont like to fly???

No, Not when the landing is Patak Rd and I have no landing gear. lol

-----------------

Some more price comparisons:

Hypomotard 796.......Thailand Price: 590,000 baht ($19,500) US Price: $9,995 (302,000 baht)

Mulstistrada 1200:.......Thailand Price: 985,000 baht ($32,600USD) US Price: $14,995 (452,700 baht)

Streetfighter.....Thailand Price: 940,000 ($31,200USD) US Price: $14,995 (452,700baht)

1198.....Thailand Price: 1,198,000 baht ($39,900USD) US Price: $16,495usd (498,000baht)

Diavel......Thailand Price: 1,070,000baht ($35,400SD) US Price: $16,995USD (513,000Baht)

12-28-20102-45-47PM.jpg

Ducati-Diavel.jpg

Edited by ScubaBuddha