Full Moon Party Ban Opposed

george

Should full moon parties be banned?  

155 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Full moon party ban opposed

Surat Thani: -- Tourism business operators and residents on Surat Thani's Koh Phangan are opposing Interior Minister ACM Kongsak Wantana's plan to ban the island's infamous full moon party.

They are demanding a public hearing if the minister is determined to push ahead with the ban.

Koh Phangan Tourism Promotion Association chairman Chanchote Piriyasathit said the minister's idea to promote eco-tourism on Koh Phangan and discontinue the full moon party was ill-advised. Business operators and residents have hosted the party for more than 20 years and it has become known worldwide, he said, adding a ban would negatively affect tourism.

Mr Chanchote said the party did not hurt the environment and attracted many foreign tourists.

Provincial councillor Piphit Rattanarak, agreed, saying if the minister wanted to ban it, a public hearing must be held to gauge views from residents who initiated the party.

``The full moon party doesn't just benefit certain people; it brings revenue to the province and the whole country,'' he said.

``It's not right to cite illicit drugs, town planning and environmental problems as reasons to discontinue the party. Locals are more environmentally minded than some ministers. If there really was anything bad about it, locals would not have let the party go on for so long,'' said Mr Piphit.

--Bangkok Post 2005-08-24

... The full moon party doesn't just benefit certain people; it brings revenue to the province and the whole country,'' ...

Don't know about the whole country, mainly brings money into the portal Samui, and IMHO probably is the singular appreciable revenue stream for Phangan,

:o

It might have a positive affect.

The accomodation is overpriced for what it is,because the Full Moon clientele are so wasted they dont mind.

Maybe it would force the operators to clean there act up.

... The full moon party doesn't just benefit certain people; it brings revenue to the province and the whole country,'' ...

Don't know about the whole country, mainly brings money into the portal Samui, and IMHO probably is the singular appreciable revenue stream for Phangan,

Hmm The only thing that should be banned on the Full Moon parties are all those bloody funcking transvestite shemales annoying all the tourists asking for blowjobs...

They really piss the ###### out of me, and made me stay home instead of going...

The accomodation is overpriced for what it is,because the Full Moon clientele are so wasted they dont mind.

Just sleep on the beach... everyone else does...

Been to it several times, to much noise for me, but it is basicly harmless, at the party they get stupid, drunk and fall asleep or just go on thier way when the sober up. I haven't seen any bad things happen, at least no more than any where else. Incidents have happened , but new controls have been put in to place so the boats are safer.

This party generates a lot of revenue for the island and a lot of good P.R for Thailand. If people want to get stupid and drunk Ok at least is in in one controled area. More people (farangs) are hurt on motorcycles than at the Full Moon Party.

Most people who go are just curious and most have good fun. Leave it be, police it if you must but it leave it as is.

Eco-tourism??? Give me a break. How can you have a proper eco-tour when the coral is dead, trash lines the beaches and the jungle is all but gone.

"Locals are more environmentally minded than some ministers."

They certainly can't be talking about Thais here. They are some of the least environmentally minded people anywhere.

Of course the TAT and many unscrupulous travel agents still use the word "pristine" to describe tours in Thailand. The only truly pristine places left are the tops of mountains, because it's simply too much trouble for the locals to accesss.

Hmm The only thing that should be banned on the Full Moon parties are all those bloody funcking transvestite shemales annoying all the tourists asking for blowjobs...

They really piss the ###### out of me, and made me stay home instead of going...

Wasn't it Shakespeare that said something along the lines "Me thinks thee do protest too much" :o

I wouldn't say it was overly safe... there'll normally be at least one knifing or shooting per party.

Those there will know about it, but the deaths often don't make it into the general media.

Should it be banned or not?

I'd say not whilst the tourist market is so severly depressed....

I know when I was working on Koh Tao as a divemaster our busiest period of the month was just after a full moon party.

Without the party many travellers will spend less time in Thailand and more in the other se asian countries.

I know when I was working on Koh Tao as a divemaster our busiest period of the month was just after a full moon party.

Without the party many travellers will spend less time in Thailand and more in the other se asian countries.

Agree, the Full Moon Party benefits the province and the whole country, the Party attracts visitors, not only from around the world but around Thailand too.

Most tourists and travellers will experience a Full Moon Party at least once when visiting Thailand. There is ambiguity as to whether Samui or Suratthani brings the largest volume of visitors - I think it's swings and roundabouts but to generalise, travellers come via Suratthani, whereas two week tourists come via Samui - usually because they have flown in. Haad Rin is extremely busy a few days before and after the Party, the visitors will then travel around the island to experience other pristine beaches and terrain.

Eco-tourism??? Give me a break.  How can you have a proper eco-tour when the coral is dead, trash lines the beaches and the jungle is all but gone.

They certainly can't be talking about Thais here.  They are some of the least environmentally minded people anywhere. 

There is a rejuvination programme with government input which will educate those who haven't a clue about how to treat coral. Those best in the know will be able to comment on this particular project's progression.

"Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra has allocated 1255 million baht to the Suratthani Province, with funds for Koh Phangan to be spent on outsourcing foreign technology in order to rejuvenate dead coral and improve energy and water sources, making them more reliable with the emphasis on an eco-friendly approach."

Trash lines the beach? If you are talking about Haad Rin Sunrise beach during and after the party, yes it does, however, there is now a clean up team organised by the Green Cross Conservation group - this is besides those Thai's who take it upon themselves to earn some pocket money by picking up the bottles and plastic in order to recycle them.

It seems your view of Thai's has been tarnished and seeing as you are based in Phuket I don't see how you can judge "local" Thai's. :D It is a learning curve for them, OK, so you are already learned but negativity is not going to educate them.

How can the Full Moon clientele already be wasted when they check into accommodation before the party? :D

There are resorts which put their prices up around Full Moon, but if you don't get there early you are bound to get the lower standard accommodation - booking is available now but wasn't up to a year ago. The standards are being improved all the time but this takes time - jai yen yen na ja.

Ladyboys/she-men, whatever - surely there are enough people at the Full Moon Party for you to be able to avoid them?

I am glad for the proprietors of Koh Phangan to get this chance to fight their corner (not literally) and prove that once and for all the Full Moon Party is not a bad thing. It seems that many others are jealous that they didn't have the idea in the first place. :D

Well said, Nam, some very good points there.

The full moon party is the sole reason why some people go to Thailand in the first place: or certinaly one of the main reasons anyway.

And the accommodation is some of the cheapest in the region, and probably the cheapest of any popular Thai island. Bungalowas are available for 150 Baht, maybe even less.

The black moon parties are now taking over as the top choice for real party animals anyway...

The question is not "why should we NOT ban it?". The question is: Why should it be banned?

Does it harm anyone? A real debate about this would simply be about environment (from what I have seen the cleanup squad is extremely effective) and the people who live there. Since the party has been going on for 20 years it's hard to imagine anyone living there could be opposed - they would have long moved out...

I think this is just some bullshit about young people having too much fun, and the ones who don't want to participate wanting to spoil it.

Personally, I have only been once and could not care less - I don't particularly enjoy hordes upon hordes of wasted english teenagers. There are better places to pick up girls, too. But why forbid it? Let them have fun, jesus!

Live and let live.

BTW yeah, illegal drugs are still illegal and all the usual laws apply even duing the full moon party. No reason to ban the party.

Eco-tourism??? Give me a break.  How can you have a proper eco-tour when the coral is dead, trash lines the beaches and the jungle is all but gone.

They certainly can't be talking about Thais here.  They are some of the least environmentally minded people anywhere. 

Of course the TAT and many unscrupulous travel agents still use the word "pristine" to describe tours in Thailand.  The only truly pristine places left are the tops of mountains, because it's simply too much trouble for the locals to accesss.

Took the words out my mouth..have nothing to say now.... :o

the island's infamous full moon party.

Full moon of what month?

Every month of the year?

Approximated dates

Jan 24

Feb 23

Mar 24

Apr 23

May 22

Jun 21

Jul 21

Aug 20

Sep 18

Oct 18

Nov 16

Dec 16

Jan 14

Feb14

Mar 14

Apr13

May13

June 11

July 12

Aug 9

Sept 7

Oct 7

Nov6

Dec 5

Edited by BambinA

me thinks the politicians and government officials are trying the western approach

:- pick on a subject, cause a debate, GET THIER name in the spot light.

it does not matter about the out come they are in the media for a short while.

just look at the ideas and project being generated from the toxin camp

The government has recently adopted a strategy to go 'upmarket' to recover tourist revenue. The new minister wants to make a 'splash' so he has come up with this initiative to be seen to be doing something and get publicity for the initiative...a bit like the early bar closing laws.

Surat Thani: -- Tourism business operators and residents on Surat Thani's Koh Phangan are opposing Interior Minister ACM Kongsak Wantana's plan to ban the island's infamous full moon party.

More of the same ol', same ol'. Seems like every now and again there is talk about shutting these parties down and nothing has ever come of it. Why would this particular go 'round be any different?

i have been to the party a couple of times. Can be good fun. It is a major attraktion in the area.

After shooting themselves in the foot with early closing times, it seems to become a habit of this government.

Let's go somewhere else.

It would be very sad indeed if they do stop the parties! When I first came to Thailand, five years ago, one of the things that attracted me to the Island, was the Full Moon Party. Which I was told about during my time on Kho San Rd. Seems that this gov is determined to destroy anything that smacks of fun, for both foreigners and Thais alike.

They won't stop these parties, they bring in too much $. This is a definate example of grabbing the spotlight. They know they can't even make the parties finish at 1am, cos many people will stop coming to Thailand, or miss out the Southern Gulf Coast altogether. The party is a major draw for tourists, especially Surrathani province.

It won't be closed, they need the $. If it was going to be closed it would have been done same time as the 1am closing came into force.

The government has recently adopted a strategy to go 'upmarket' to recover tourist revenue. The new minister wants to make a 'splash' so he has come up with this initiative to be seen to be doing something and get publicity for the initiative...a bit like the early bar closing laws.

I have seen signs of this for 2 or 3 years. Mr. T may not be going about things the best way, but he is causing change. He is causing change in a way that Middle class Western, European, and Australian families are taking more notice of Thailand than say 3 or 4 years ago. (outside of the Tsunami).

I think they got alot of money and success out of "The Beach" and the American television show "Survivor Thailand" which was shown on prime time television...and they've got a taste in their mouth for making big money through cleaning up their act.

Let's face it, do you want a bunch of drunken 20 something backpackers who are high on "something" that they thought was ecstacy running around pissing on everything and fighting left and right - who cause a scene arguing that their 400 baht shithole bungalow with no A/C costs too much.

...or would you rather have law abiding middle class families who are willing to pay 4000Baht a night for their nice resort room on the beach, participate in the grossly overpriced tours, and eat 500 baht meals in the restaurants.

Middle class families are where the big tourist dollar is at. Backpackers have had a strong foot hold in Thailand for a long time and it's apparent that the government and local business owners are doing whatever they can to get rid of them.

The first time I went to the Full Moon party it was much different than it is now. You could get "stuff," though not openly. Now, unless you know someone, you are taking a big risk by buy any controlled substances. There is too much entrapment going on.

Let me rephrase that. You are taking a big risk anyways!

And by the way, those mushroom shakes that are 600 baht on the hilltop bar on the far left side of the beach that everyone talks about, are not mushroom shakes in any capacity. I've been too stupid to try them out too many times. ha ha ha.

The change to the infrastructure behind Haad Rin beach alone even in the last 3 years is mind boggling. Hearing stories of what it was like 5 and 10 years ago is pretty amazing.

I personally don't like the full moon parties. I usually go only when Farang friends who have never been, come to Thailand because they want to see it at least once, or with a group of Thai friends who have the time and money to go.

It's really a depressing place. I've DJ'd there a few times, and the number of punters that storm into the DJ booth and hang all over you, or try to tell you there life story because they are too drunk and incoherent is just too much to want to go back there to DJ. It's not a pleasant experience.

The littering, the level to which people get "f#cked up" on booze and other substances to the point that they don't care or have any comprehension of what they are doing, the level of shear meanness towards Thai people who are standing there trying to collect 5 baht to use their toilets, the number of fights that go on. It's really amazing that there isn't more people that die or get seriously injured because of some form of conflict that starts innocently or simply enough.

I've been to alot of parties around the world, and I think the vibe of the people there is worse than just about anywhere I've been.

That being said, I'm against banning it.

It's a huge source of income for lots of levels of people. Locals on Koh Paghnan, local on Samui and Koh Tao, hotel owners, restaurant owners, bar staff, working girls, taxi drivers, speed boat and ferry companies, dive companies, airlines, police, the samui mafia, the koh paghnan mafia, everybody is getting their cut some how. The money that comes in also helps build infrastructure on the rest of the islands. That island is getting ruined, but that's life. It's happening everywhere on the planet.

It helps people all over Thailand, because people come to the country for this party and spend an extra week or two or three travelling around seeing other things.

I have alot of Thai friends who look forward to the full moon party. It's fun and exciting. So it's not just Farangs that spend money there.

Edited by cookiesunshinex