Superfoods.. And Odd Foods In Pattaya

healthandperformance

Hello fellow members! Will be coming back to Pattaya in 1 week, this time I will be staying for one whole month. I have a couple questions, would be more than happy if anyoen can help me:

1) Where can I buy organic fruits and vegetables in Pattaya?

2) Can I buy "superfoods" in pattaya, i.e Goji-berries, acai berries, cacao-beans?

3) Are there any places where I can visit some manufacturers that make cacao-butter or grow pineapples or grow tea, gojiberries..? Anything that relates to foods.

4) Where can I get the really odd food, dog-meat, rat-meat, cocroaches grasshoppers and so on.

Thanks alot, I know I have many questions, but I didn´t find any on my last visit

Edited by healthandperformance

Wow, interesting shopping list...

1) Where can I buy organic fruits and vegetables in Pattaya?

Try Central Mall's supermarket (Beach Rd./2nd Rd.) or Villa Market (2nd Rd.)- they're the most hi-so.

4) Where can I get the really odd food, dog-meat, rat-meat, cocroaches grasshoppers and so on.

Search for threads about (rice) rat meat eating on Thai Visa. Dog meat, mostly in the far north or south, I believe. Vendors selling fried cockroaches & grasshoppers are common/ not odd here.

The rest, dunno... but good luck, krap!

B)

post-72929-0-76069100-1293512746_thumb.j

post-72929-0-57591300-1293512758_thumb.j

1) I think most of the western supermarket offer some organic foods, at least Foodland does. But it's not a really big thing here.

4) There is one stand in the Thepprasit night market that sell all sorts of odd food, including rats. You'll probably need a Thai speaker with you to be able to locate it though.

Edited by Phil Conners

Dear Newbie......if you have been here before and are coming back....Why do you need to ask any of these questions ?

Did you not ask or see the last time ? Were you living in a sealed box ?:blink:

I smell a rat.....and not the kind you can eat that has exclusive diet of Isaan rice....

any way...Ignoring what might be a TROLL what do you mean by organic ?....all the mass produced veg and fruit in Thailand is covered in "chemi" as my GF says and Thais never eat fruit without washing it and she goes nuts if I bite into an orange to start peeling it....!

and do you really want ot eat dog ? If so better you head for Korea.:angry:

If you are so interested in foods - I saw a local brand of dried cat food on sale in Tesco.......on the packet it said "Contains Real Fish"

My thought was - as opposed to "fake fish"....:P ....TIT

Edited by lonewolf99

Dear Newbie......if you have been here before and are coming back....Why do you need to ask any of these questions ?

I smell a rat.....and not the kind you can eat that has exclusive diet of Isaan rice....

any way...Ignoring what might be a TROLL what do you mean by organic ?....all the mass produced veg and fruit in Thailand is covered in "chemi" as my GF says and Thais never eat fruit without washing it and she goes nuts if I bite into an orange to start peeling it....!

If you are so interested in foods - I saw a local brand of dried cat food on sale in Tesco.......on the packet it said "Contains Real Fish"

What a most patronising reply!

You really think someone is going to start a troll thread about where to find certain foods??

I have lived here for 5 years and cannot answer most of his questions, apart from takaten (cockroaches and grasshoppers etc for OP), which you will commonly find on carts being pushed around the streets.

Perfectly valid questions in my opinion OP, ignore some of the grumpy old men on here.

I was staying for such a short whiel I didn´t really get to do anything.

By Organic I mean I wouldn´t want to eat so much chemicals, I prefer wild or at least organic grown food!

By eating dog I mean I am looking for new foods to try out, not necessarily just dog-meat :)

Hehe, this is by no means a troll, seriously asking :)

Thanks for your help!

Why can't they grow acai berries in Thailand? They are from the Amazon rain forest but Thailand has rain forests, yes? It's a great cash crop.

They do grow them here, I have a pack of dried ones produced in Thailand. Had the pack a while, there bloody awful!

Why can't they grow acai berries in Thailand? They are from the Amazon rain forest but Thailand has rain forests, yes? It's a great cash crop.

They do grow them here, I have a pack of dried ones produced in Thailand. Had the pack a while, there bloody awful!

I don't think dried is the way to go. I never had them dried. I have had them fresh processed in Brazil at their famous food stands. They are the energy drink/food there, super trendy, super healthy, and delicious. I didn't know they grew them here and I'm still skeptical until I see that myself. If they are, it sounds like there isn't an understanding of the potential.

http://www.nowpublic.com/environment/acai-berry-brazil-s-boon

Edited by Jingthing

Still not convinced. From the English site they direct you to from your link --

Our products feature a proprietary blend of the powerful açai berry, found only in remote regions of the Amazon, and other body-beneficial fruits, each selected for its specific nutritional properties. MonaVie is designed to provide you with the antioxidants and phytonutrients you need to maintain a healthy and active lifestyle.

So where is the evidence this berry is grown at all anywhere in Thailand?

A quick google translate of the Thai site also mentions THE AMAZON. No mention I can see that it is grown in Thailand.

Is it possible to grow in Thailand? I don't know. But if it was, we could assume it could be sold cheaper, like any fruit here, rather than as a super expensive luxury import item.

Edited by Jingthing

^ Sorry, yes - believe you are right, just had a quick surf, appears that acai berries are the new "in" product so all sorts of "scams" abound claiming they are the real thing, will make you lose weight overnight, improve you health etc. Which the real thing may do, but ...........

Cocoa beans is really healthy you should try that.

I use organic cocoa that I foundt in a health food store near Chong Nonsi BTS . Cant remember the name but they have a good selection of vitamins and healthy green tea .

Edited by balo