Visiting For 1 Month With Gf - Do We Need Visas?

If you are planning to stay 30 days or less and you have an onward flight ticket to show this you do not need a Visa. Meaning that you will need your flight ticket to Hong Kong before you leave Canada.

Anything over 30 days requires a Tourist Visa . They are free at the moment so maybe a good idea to get one.

I am assuming you are Canadian.

In that case get a tourist visa, they are free at the moment.

Without a tourist visa you would need to show a ticket out of Thailand within 30 days, with a tourist visa there is no such requirement and you will have enough time to stay in Thailand (60 days, which can be extended to 90 days)

The proper way to do it is go to the Thai consulate and get a tourist visa. Not sure where in Canada, but I assume you guys have Google.

Although I routinely enter the country without a on-ward ticket it does weigh in the back of my mind when arriving.

However, I entered the Kingdom 7 times via Air, and 4 times via land and have never been asked for a follow on flight ticket. I just got my 30 day entry stamp and went on.

Just understand, do not over-stay.

As with all things, your experience may vary.

Save you both some angst and get a visa.

Thanks guys - I just checked out their website and they're closed for the holidays until Wed. We really wanted to fly out on Wed so that we can arrive before New Year's. Does it take long to get the visa - i.e. can we just run there real quick in the morning and get it, or does it take a few hours / days?

From the Toronto website.

Please Note: All visa applications submitted on December 29th

and 30th will be ready for pickup on Monday January 3, 2011

Haha owned. I guess we'll just get a refundable return tickets and then when we decide on the departure date, refund them and get cheaper non-refundable ones?

Haha owned. I guess we'll just get a refundable return tickets and then when we decide on the departure date, refund them and get cheaper non-refundable ones?

Is this because you have no time to get the visa before your flight date? If it is about money, the refund charges for your ticket may cost you more than the postage to get your visa.

Is this because you have no time to get the visa before your flight date? If it is about money, the refund charges for your ticket may cost you more than the postage to get your visa.

Yep, no time. We want to fly on Wed and Visa's apparently take a week according to a poster above.

Shit, there are refund charges on refundable tickets? Never knew. How much?

It doesn't have to be a return ticket. You could buy a ticket with a cheap carrier from Bangkok to Kuala Lumpur or another nearby destination, without using them. But no refund.

We found some for $150/ticket, but that seems like a horrible waste of money - total $300 thrown away for tickets we won't use. How much are refund charges on a refundable ticket? I know they're high on non-refundable, but I thought the whole point of the high initial cost of refundable tickets is that they're... refundable?

Edited by DudeNo1

DudeNo1, the Toronto consulate is on Isabella off Yonge, about 50-75 metres up street on right side. I'd call C-G George Heller right at opening and see if it's possible to get same day tourist visa. Highly recommended if you don't know how long you want to stay and it's (almost) free ($10 service fee instead of visa fee).

I'm not sure where you checked, but I can find a ticket to Pnom Phen for instance on 26 jan. for 590 baht per person with airasia, plus airport fee of 1400 baht for two that would be around 60 US dollar totasl for 2 persons.

Wow nice, what site is that from?

DudeNo1, the Toronto consulate is on Isabella off Yonge, about 50-75 metres up street on right side. I'd call C-G George Heller right at opening and see if it's possible to get same day tourist visa. Highly recommended if you don't know how long you want to stay and it's (almost) free ($10 service fee instead of visa fee).

Thanks I'll give that a shot too!

Without an onward ticket within 30 days you need a Visa.

But for information, I was told by the gentleman dealing with visas at Sydney Royal Thai Consulate on 28/12/10 that this is not the policy of Thai immigration but the policy of airlines.

It is the responsibility of the check in staff to check that passengers meet the Visa requirements of the country they are visiting.

If the passenger is refused entry the airline receives a fine of 20,000 Baht and is responsible for the passengers transport back to their own Country.

Interactive site to check Visa requirements.