Swimming Pool Water Heater Needed

LJW

unfortunately ready-made pool heaters are not available in Thailand. but a qualified aircon company can build one. i found company (in Pattaya) which manufactured a heater based on my design. what you need is an a/c unit 36-48,000 btu and a top quality heat exchanger and preferably an additional pool pump. cost including installation 100-120,000 Baht (the heat exchanger is more expensive than the compressor/condenser unit). heating capacity depends on ambient temperature. if you need details, let me know.

my setup looks like this:

post-35218-0-60653900-1293614284_thumb.j

Solar panels work.

A friend has a pool similar to mine and uses them and usually it is 4-5 degrees warmer than mine.

That said, I swim every day and it is now very refreshing to say the least but never considered any form of heating.

I have a solar heater too, but when the overnight temps are below 15 degrees, and at this time of year because the sun never touches any water, it is too cold to enjoy :)

unfortunately ready-made pool heaters are not available in Thailand. but a qualified aircon company can build one. i found company (in Pattaya) which manufactured a heater based on my design. what you need is an a/c unit 36-48,000 btu and a top quality heat exchanger and preferably an additional pool pump. cost including installation 100-120,000 Baht (the heat exchanger is more expensive than the compressor/condenser unit). heating capacity depends on ambient temperature. if you need details, let me know.

I can buy a similar setup for 96,000 baht, but at this price, I am willing to suffer the two weeks of non-swimming each year :)

Solar panels work.

A friend has a pool similar to mine and uses them and usually it is 4-5 degrees warmer than mine.

That said, I swim every day and it is now very refreshing to say the least but never considered any form of heating.

I have a solar heater too, but when the overnight temps are below 15 degrees, and at this time of year because the sun never touches any water, it is too cold to enjoy :)

I learned to swim in the North Sea, my pool is like a hot bath in comparison. :)

Solar panels work.

I learned to swim in the North Sea, my pool is like a hot bath in comparison. :)

Well, I learned to swim in the (warm) Pacific, and my pool is definately cooler :lol:

I can buy a similar setup for 96,000 baht, but at this price, I am willing to suffer the two weeks of non-swimming each year :)

my pool is an enclosed indoor pool and therefore never gets any sun. for two weeks non-swimming only the investment does indeed not pay. in our case the non-swimming period without heating is four full months. by the way, i tried in vain to find solar panels for pool heating which are otherwise available in Europe and the U.S.

besides, i kill two birds with one stone, i. e. our pool area (which is our alternative living room during the "cool" season) is airconditioned free of charge.

p.s. you can buy a similar setup indeed much cheaper. it all depends on the quality and life time of the heat exchanger.

post-35218-0-31944800-1293670290_thumb.j

post-35218-0-11005900-1293670325_thumb.j

my pool is an enclosed indoor pool and therefore never gets any sun. for two weeks non-swimming only the investment does indeed not pay. in our case the non-swimming period without heating is four full months. by the way, i tried in vain to find solar panels for pool heating which are otherwise available in Europe and the U.S.

besides, i kill two birds with one stone, i. e. our pool area (which is our alternative living room during the "cool" season) is airconditioned free of charge.

p.s. you can buy a similar setup indeed much cheaper. it all depends on the quality and life time of the heat exchanger.

You have a nice setup :)

My solar heating comes from my own setup, using a 2 hundred meter 1" hose line on my roof. Works okay, but not enough flow to generate much heat...

frontyard.jpg

Edited by LJW

My solar heating comes from my own setup, using a 2 hundred meter 1" hose line on my roof. Works okay, but not enough flow to generate much heat...

frontyard.jpg

If the water flow is the factor here then add a proper flow pump to your requirement. Do you think if the 1" rubber hose were to be replaced by 1/2" flexible poly pipes with better heat conductivity would do a better job?

frontyard.jpg

If the water flow is the factor here then add a proper flow pump to your requirement. Do you think if the 1" rubber hose were to be replaced by 1/2" flexible poly pipes with better heat conductivity would do a better job?

I imagine paying more, and not getting any more REAL Heat :)

200m of 1" rubber hose on the roof should indeed do the trick with a 350W pump attached. to save energy i have designed an additional gadget which i still have to build. will post pictures when/if finished (one of these years).

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

What stops you just adding a modified solar water heater.. Like the kind used for houses.. Keep the flow circulating.

I saw a one on sale outside a big hardware place for 30 something thousand and thought it was a cheap solution.

I've got a solar heater, but it does not help much.

The pool is not very big. I guess you can use 2 water shower heaters. Put the water outlets at the bottom of each end of the pool. Adjust the temperature and the flow rate to suit your need. What's a few thousand bahts more on top of your existing B4,000 water bill anyway!

I've seen just plain black poly pipe (used for irrigation) used effectively. The ideal diameter is about 30 mm, and you can put a decent length on your roof using 90 degree bends to create a pattern of parallel lines. The fairly rigid poly pipe doesn't bend well and kinks easily, hence the 90 degree bends. The normal pool pump gets the water up there and it gravity feeds back, but you may need to upgrade your pump so that it has the grunt to get water up to the roof and then through 100+ metres of pipe as there's a lot of surface friction in the pipe, although the water feeding back under gravity creates a powerful suction effect which assists.

Edited by saxpirant