Most Exciting Breakfast Side Dish Ever Arrives In Chaing Mai

butterisbetter

SCRAPPLE!!!!!! Possiblythe most exciting breakfast side dish ever created, scrapple has made the Pennsylvania Dutchfeared and admired everywhere. And by “everywhere” we mean, of course, the severalcounties that compose Central Pennsylvania. On the off chance you don’t knowwhat scrapple is, it consists of finely chopped pork and cornmeal flavored withherbs & spices and shaped into a loaf. A serving consists of 2 slices . 35 Baht

Available at Butter is Better is Better Restaurant.

OMG!

From the Wikipaedia:

Composition [of Scrapple]

Locally called "everything but the oink" or made with "everything but the squeal",[3] scrapple is typically made of hog offal, such as the head, heart, liver, and other scraps, which are boiled with any bones attached (often the entire head), to make a broth. Once cooked, bones and fat are discarded, the meat is reserved, and (dry) cornmeal is boiled in the broth to make a mush. The meat, finely minced, is returned to the pot and seasonings, typically sage, thyme, savory, black pepper, and others, are added. [4][5] The mush is formed into loaves and allowed to cool thoroughly until set. The proportions and seasoning are very much a matter of the region and the cook's taste.[6]

If there was ever a culturally appropriate import from America, this is it!

And -- if you missed the book -- there's even a movie! Just Google it!

References:

Child, Julia, Book of Cooking Anything: "Best with apple butter. Excellent with a beaujolis."

FDA Warning: Not to be eaten if taking testosterone supplements.

Product Safety Warning: Small children have been mortally wounded in food fights by flying scrapple.

OMG!

From the Wikipaedia:

Locally called "everything but the oink" or made with "everything but the squeal",[3] scrapple is typically made of hog offal, such as the head, heart, liver, and other scraps, which are boiled with any bones attached (often the entire head), to make a broth. Once cooked, bones and fat are discarded, the meat is reserved, and (dry) cornmeal is boiled in the broth to make a mush. The meat, finely minced, is returned to the pot and seasonings, typically sage, thyme, savory, black pepper, and others, are added. [4][5] The mush is formed into loaves and allowed to cool thoroughly until set. The proportions and seasoning are very much a matter of the region and the cook's taste.[6]

References:

Child, Julia, Book of Cooking Anything: "Best with apple butter. Excellent with a beaujolis."

Product Safety Warning: Small children have been mortally wounded in food fights by flying scrapple.

I prefer bacon, thank you :)

I had some at Butter is Better and it was so good it didn't need the oink!!

This morning I passed a display of tins of Butter Biscuits in Carrefour, only they had put little tinsel bows on the tins right over the "ER" of Butter...:ph34r:

So, be careful where you place seasonal decorations on your "Butter is Better" restaurant's signage...:whistling:

Edited by phaethon

OMG!

Locally called "everything but the oink" or made with "everything but the squeal",[3] scrapple is typically made of hog offal, such as the head, heart, liver, and other scraps, which are boiled with any bones attached (often the entire head), to make a broth.

Sounds like the piggy equivalent of the Scottish Haggis :

1 sheep's stomach cleaned and thoroughly, scalded, turned inside out and soaked overnight in cold salted water add heart and lungs of one lamb etc.

Robbie Burns

Fair fa' your honest, sonsie face,

Great chieftain o' the puddin-race!

Aboon them a' ye tak your place,

Painch, tripe, or thairm:

Weel are ye wordy o' a grace

As lang's my arm.

Edited by Asmerom

References:

Product Safety Warning: Small children have been mortally wounded in food fights by flying scrapple. ~ Mapguy

Hilarious - :clap2:

But Child did have a Scrapple recipe in one of her books, The Way to Cook. Some of my relatives made it, and it was very good.

I'm going to give it a try at Butter is Better - without Beaujolais, which would be terrible with a good scrapple, I'm thinking..

maybe B is B can enlighten us.

How is their Scrapple made? from their own scraps? or delivered pile of scraps?

Any noteworthy details or is it better left unknown?

Our scrapple is a Philadelphia scrapple. Which means it's for people who use knives and forks. So the only meat we use is pork shoulder. I also went lighter on the corn meal than is usual. Maybe it could use some lung meat, though. But of what can't that be said?

maybe B is B can enlighten us.

How is their Scrapple made? from their own scraps? or delivered pile of scraps?

I

Any noteworthy details or is it better left unknown?

Our scrapple is a Philadelphia scrapple. Which means it's for people who use knives and forks. So the only meat we use is pork shoulder. I also went lighter on the corn meal than is usual. Maybe it could use some lung meat, though. But of what can't that be said?

I should add that I invented the term "Philadelphia Scrapple" to make it seem as though I knew what I was doing. Only it turns out that someone else beat me to it. It turns out there is a real Philadelphia scrapple made from pig's knuckles. I think there is an entire scrapple universe out there that encompasses all possible scrapples including even scrapple made with transistors. Just as long as it includes something that was at least in the vicinity of a pig and cornmeal.

OMG!

Locally called "everything but the oink" or made with "everything but the squeal",[3] scrapple is typically made of hog offal, such as the head, heart, liver, and other scraps, which are boiled with any bones attached (often the entire head), to make a broth.

Sounds like the piggy equivalent of the Scottish Haggis :

1 sheep's stomach cleaned and thoroughly, scalded, turned inside out and soaked overnight in cold salted water add heart and lungs of one lamb etc.

Your description sounds more like " Hog Maw " than scrapple.Asmerom. :sick:

It's not real scrapple unless it has all the disgusting organs.

The best recipe is this:

Add some cornmeal and seasonings to what's left over after making sausage and hot dogs.

They keep those varieties perfectly intact for display in museums because no one is ever tempted to eat it.

Scrapple is one of those foods that has so few rules it's the standard fare for anarchists.

Edited by butterisbetter

Philadelphia scrapple !!!

No sucha thing! What neighborhood and whose mother cooking breakfast ?! Makes a huge difference!

Never mind the homogenized stuff bought in markets in the dark back alleys of Philadelphia from the backs of Lancaster and York County ( deep Amish country an hour or so further west) farm trucks from the younger horny sons of Amish families in the big city to get their rocks off before settling into a life of marrying in the community and farming behind a beard!

But back to the point! This is stuff is truly gourmet MacDonalds. If done right! It is also a fast track to cardiac arrest, more so if it has the really good bits in it and is fried is the appropriate oil.

Your choice. You know the enemies! AIDS! Heart attacks! Beriberi! Cholera! Chapped lips !!

i am old school . if i am going for a west style breakfast , i am looking at Egg becon or Hams .

eating something that is from a MIX part of possible leftover from last night cooking don;t really sound appealing to me for a great start in the morning .

you can give it Fancy name , but so far from what i read it sound like leftover cocktail from last night party .

i am old school . if i am going for a west style breakfast , i am looking at Egg becon or Hams .

eating something that is from a MIX part of possible leftover from last night cooking don;t really sound appealing to me for a great start in the morning .

you can give it Fancy name , but so far from what i read it sound like leftover cocktail from last night party .

In a way it's not much different from some of the Thai dishes you eat over here, that is, if you don't know what's in it then it can be pretty good! If you find out what it is, you may not like it.:lol:

If you consider a typical Full English Breakfast or American "bacon" you do not think, do you, that you are eating health foods? Scrapple is of that school, where we fed ourselves such stuff before a full day's physical labor. (Though it is only recently that laborers could afford the meats.)

Is everyone certain of the soup and "stew" stocks that Thais serve are free of offal? And we all are fond of tendon and ant egg soup, I believe?

There is nothing particularly unhealthy about eating a side dish of scrapple, I feel, if I eat mostly green vegetables for a few days prior to ordering the dish - in my case, exclusively. Alternatively, a jog or two up and down the steps of Doi Suthep would be good. Plus, shoulder meat, if freed of fat, is not cholesterol city, exactly. In the U.S., producers call it the other white meat. There, I've talked myself into a try.

OMG!

From the Wikipaedia:

References:

Thanks for the warning. I make it a point to never ask what's in it here in Thailand.:bah:

just love this Quote

so do you consider a Good scrapple . good when it can create a knock when you throw it or the softer one is the better one ?

better ? batter ? beater ? best ? beaming scrapple kiddo bash .

opps can't help it