When The Roads In Thailand Get Deadly: Seven Dangerous Days

webfact

SEVEN DANGEROUS DAYS

When the roads get deadly

By Mayuree Sukyingcharoenwong

Wattana Khamchu

The Nation

med_gallery_327_1086_16697.jpg

Though the toll this year is lower, numbers still very high compared to other nations

Road safety remains a major concern in Thailand, especially during the holiday period when accidents usually double in number due to bad roads and vehicles as well as reckless drivers. This year, there have been approximately 26 deaths caused by road accidents per day.

On the first day of this year's "Seven Dangerous Days", which started on Wednesday, there were 24 deaths and 425 injuries in 393 road accidents, 35.88 per cent of which were caused by drunk driving and 16.54 per cent by speeding, while 79.65 per cent of all smashups involved motorcycles.

However, Sorayut Petchtrakul, assistant to the interior minister, said yesterday that the accidents on Wednesday were 12.28 per cent less compared to the 448 accidents on the first day of last year's holiday period, while 24 deaths and 425 injuries were down from 2009's 40 deaths and 496 injuries.

Most of the accidents or 69.47 per cent occurred between 4pm and 8pm and people killed were mostly 30 to 39 years of age.

Krabi, Phang Nga, Phatthalung, Phetchaburi, Lop Buri and Sa Kaew provinces recorded two deaths each, while Chiang Rai had the most injuries with 23 people followed by Chiang Mai at 15 injuries.

Sorayut said 65,494 personnel were manning the 2,501 checkpoints set up for this period, and so far they have checked on 526,610 vehicles and fined 60,497 violators, of whom 19,260 were motorcyclists not wearing helmets and 18,916 were motorists driving without licenses.

Meanwhile, manager of the Road Safety Academic Project at the National Health Foundation, Thanapong Jinwong, said road accidents were one of the main things affecting people's lives as well as social and economic development.

Statistics show that there have been a total of 983,076 road accidents with 124,855 deaths in the past decade, of which 84,806 accidents occurred in 2009 killing 10,717 people and wounding 115,000 others, or approximately 33 deaths per day. This is four times higher than the 3,500 deaths caused by crime last year. Records show that onethird of the people killed were under 20, he added.

Thanapong said road accidents had also doubled during the long holiday period - said the last New Year holidays had a total of 380 deaths and some 5,000 injuries.

Most or 47 to 51 per cent of accidents take place on rural roads, 27 to 29 per cent on highways and 20 to 22 per cent in urban areas, he said. Also, about 70 per cent of the crashes involve motorcycles followed by pickup trucks. Most of the deaths involve either drunk driving or not wearing a helmet, he added. Apart from drunk driving, substandard road conditions and drivers dozing behind the wheel were also the cause of accidents.

Since many people are unsure about the safety of public transport and whether bus drivers take precautions, more and more people are driving long distances in pickup trucks during the holidays, he said. The past year has seen many deaths from pickup truck accidents, mostly because they were overloaded and lost balance. Also, many transport companies are providing vans to take people to the provinces, even though they are less safe than buses, he said.

Meanwhile, transportation expert Kunnawee Kanitpong from Asian Institute of Technology's Accident Research Centre said Thai roads were in bad condition and were to blame for 45 per cent of the accidents. In other countries, there is enough space alongside roads for drivers who lose control to make it to safety without having to crash into another vehicle or a wall. Thai roads, unfortunately, don't have such a space while its roadside fences are also substandard.

Another expert from AIT, Sattrawut Ponboon, citing Monday night's tragedy in which a passenger van lost control when hit by a sedan on the elevated tollway in VibhavadiRangsit was caused at a junction with a gradual uphill dike dividing the lanes - something that the US had stopped using since 1996. The illfate van also was equipped with three gas tanks for gasoline, CNG, LPG hence one of the gas tanks crashed into concrete wall causing the van to explode, he added.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-12-31

Road safety remains a major concern in Thailand

Okay, the article starts with a load of 'hot air' & bullshite. I refer to the above quote. Its a load of nonesense.

In those countries where Road Safety is a major concern, the countries officials set about creating laws to tackle the problem, the powers to be in charge of Traffic Bureaus & Police departs set strategic plans to tackle these issues. Police hit the streets in force & target things such as Drink Driving, speeding and seatbelt compliance. The Police are dead set serious, they don't mess around with the issues.

Road Safety involves a set of complex problems which arnt always that easy to try and solve, especially when someone considers a motor vehicle accident may occur due to some idiot speeding and drunk or it may just occur due to someone inadvertently redireting their attention to something other than the driving task they are involved in.

You've got to crawl before you walk then run, but theres absolutely no point blowing hot air up peoples backsides when its so evident that its different.

Whilst a lot may rest in driver education (the majority) and actual proper tests for drivers, things like keeping uncle Somchai and his family out of the back of pick ups makes a lot more sense. If vehicle laws insist seat belts in vehicles and helmets on motorcycles, then isn't it about time to ban riding in the back of pick ups or at least if stupidity prevails, make them wear a helmet. They don't stand a chance in any accident especially when the mug at the wheel is driving too fast, has no evasive driving skills or defensive driving education. But let's not forget the social activities of drinking in the back of pickups hurtling down motorways, which I guess, lessens the pain when you get turfed out in an accident. rolleyes.gif

So........

Statistics show that there have been a total of 983,076 road accidents with 124,855 deaths in the past decade, of which 84,806 accidents occurred in 2009 killing 10,717 people and wounding 115,000 others, or approximately 33 deaths per day.

The important number is 33, that's 33 deaths per day on average in Thailand.

There are not seven deadly days, there are 365.

In fact, based on those numbers, these 7 days are slightly less deadly than the other 358.

I wonder why. Could it be a certain force doing what they are employed to do, but only for one week of the year.

Edited by Thaddeus

Very, very sad.

While the issues involved in road safety are complex, it would be fairly easy to reduce the toll drastically by effective enforcement of the law. Maybe pay the cops a bit more wages and educate them as to why they need to insist on people wearing helmets and in stopping the erratic and fast riding/driving.

PS: when i say 'wearing helmets' i mean a proper one not a plastic one!

Edited by taichiplanet

The past few days here in CM the traffic has increased due to the influx for the holidays, etc. Many of the vehicle drivers probably learned to navigate Thai roads on motorcycles and thus apparently bring that experience/thinking with them when the get behind the wheel. You watch how they will cut off or in front of other vehicles, it seems to indicate motorcycle mentality.

If you keep these thoughts and drive defensively as well as being 'scared of having a accident' you might have a chance. That is until the blunder head that you do not expect gets you. Drugged up, pissed sightless, falls asleep, and those truckers who say watch out for me as I am the biggest. Dont forget those who due to their perceived status expect the rest of us to get out of their way.

We used to refer to tonight as amateur night, but Thailand seems to have a very extended time peroid for people to show their arse and get out in traffic.

I drove 6km to the village this morning on my motorbike to get to the bank and do some shopping.

It seems that half of Bangkok are there to see friends or spend time in the resorts and Mae Wong national park.

I was hard even on the bike to drive down the street as cars were parked anywhere and anyhow.

I then went back home.

Bearing in mind that it was 11 am, few people were drinking that early and the road only goes up to the national park I had 3 near misses from pickup

trucks racing around the corners that they cannot see around and taking up most of the road.

God alone knows what it will be like later when they get tanked up and suddenly remember that they need more whiskey, soda, lao khao, coke, cigarettes etc then just roar out and get some without looking or caring.

So........

Statistics show that there have been a total of 983,076 road accidents with 124,855 deaths in the past decade, of which 84,806 accidents occurred in 2009 killing 10,717 people and wounding 115,000 others, or approximately 33 deaths per day.

In fact, based on those numbers, these 7 days are slightly less deadly than the other 358.

I wonder why. Could it be a certain force doing what they are employed to do, but only for one week of the year.

That is just those that are reported on the day, collated and actually sent in. I remember a couple of years ago reading that on one particular day there were no deaths in my home province whilst I knew for a fact that a couple had died in a motorcycle accident nearby.

Those injured and who later die in hospital are not included in the figures.

A recent UN report suggested that the annual death toll on Thai roads is approx 24,000.

So........

That is just those that are reported on the day, collated and actually sent in. I remember a couple of years ago reading that on one particular day there were no deaths in my home province whilst I knew for a fact that a couple had died in a motorcycle accident nearby.

Those injured and who later die in hospital are not included in the figures.

A recent UN report suggested that the annual death toll on Thai roads is approx 24,000.

Well that would mean that (with the UN numbers) that my original point still stands, every day is a deadly day on the roads here.

Thanapong Jinwong said – among other gems – that the past year has seen many deaths from pick-up truck accidents, mostly because they were overloaded and lost balance. Apart from the tendency of pick-up drivers – in common with mini bus drivers – to think they are a reincarnation of Michael Schumacher, pick-ups are essentially NOT passenger vehicles, but cargo carriers; cargo in the back of the truck not, surprisingly, referring to human cargo.

Then, transportation expert Kunnawee Kanitpong commented that Thai roads were in bad condition and were to blame for 45 per cent of the accidents. In other countries, there is enough space alongside roads for drivers who lose control, to make it to safety without having to crash into another vehicle or a wall. Thai roads, unfortunately, don't have such a space.

Thai roads certainly are bad, but let's not get drawn into switching the blame from the main problem - the Thai driver. And as for the lack of space, many Thai roads are quite wide enough, but no matter if they were to double the width, cars would occupy - and overtake in - every lane; and non-lane, border, or hard shoulder.

Nothing will change until these commentators, and agencies, realise, and admit, that the crux of the problem lies in ineffectual enforcement of laws and safety standards - an area with which most Thais, whether driving or otherwise, are sadly unacquainted.

Edited by Brunel

PS: when i say 'wearing helmets' i mean a proper one not a plastic one!

Even doing them up would help immeasurably!

Personal experience, I drove from Pattaya to Chiang Mai yesterday and on the whole,standard of driving was not too bad.

It did seem as if the everybody and there mother was moving around the country though.

If only we could get "lane discipline" sorted then things would be even greater.

And in 11 hours of driving I only saw 2 slight accidents and nothing major.

My missus called earlier today - they were driving through Khon Kaen, stopped at some traffic lights when a bus ploughed into the Honda Jazz behind them - writing off the Jazz and our Pajero, as well as an Isuzu next to them.

My one year old daughter got thrown out of the baby seat into the front of the car and the 3 adults in our car all had minor injuries, which I am sure will hurt more in the morning. It seems like my daughter is OK now and they are on a flight back. The Isuzu next to them was the same in terms of injuries but the people in the Jazz weren't so lucky, one of them died.

Bus drivers are maniacs. I have no idea why the bus driver didn't stop when all the cars in front did - maybe overwork, maybe alcohol. He's been arrested now, so one less on the roads at this time of year. I've been nervous ever since they all went on a tour last week.

Just waiting at the lights. Doesn't matter how good a driver you think you are - there's nothing you can do to escape that....

Giving motor vehicles to Thais - is like giving razor blades to a baby - It will end in tears!

Road safety remains a major concern in Thailand

Okay, the article starts with a load of 'hot air' & bullshite. I refer to the above quote. Its a load of nonesense.

In those countries where Road Safety is a major concern, the countries officials set about creating laws to tackle the problem, the powers to be in charge of Traffic Bureaus & Police departs set strategic plans to tackle these issues. Police hit the streets in force & target things such as Drink Driving, speeding and seatbelt compliance. The Police are dead set serious, they don't mess around with the issues.

Road Safety involves a set of complex problems which arnt always that easy to try and solve, especially when someone considers a motor vehicle accident may occur due to some idiot speeding and drunk or it may just occur due to someone inadvertently redireting their attention to something other than the driving task they are involved in.

You've got to crawl before you walk then run, but theres absolutely no point blowing hot air up peoples backsides when its so evident that its different.

Thanapong Jinwong said – among other gems – that the past year has seen many deaths from pick-up truck accidents, mostly because they were overloaded and lost balance. Apart from the tendency of pick-up drivers – in common with mini bus drivers – to think they are a reincarnation of Michael Schumacher, pick-ups are essentially NOT passenger vehicles, but cargo carriers; cargo in the back of the truck not, surprisingly, referring to human cargo.

Then, transportation expert Kunnawee Kanitpong commented that Thai roads were in bad condition and were to blame for 45 per cent of the accidents. In other countries, there is enough space alongside roads for drivers who lose control, to make it to safety without having to crash into another vehicle or a wall. Thai roads, unfortunately, don't have such a space.

Thai roads certainly are bad, but let's not get drawn into switching the blame from the main problem - the Thai driver. And as for the lack of space, many Thai roads are quite wide enough, but no matter if they were to double the width, cars would occupy - and overtake in - every lane; and non-lane, border, or hard shoulder.

Nothing will change until these commentators, and agencies, realise, and admit, that the crux of the problem lies in ineffectual enforcement of laws and safety standards - an area with which most Thais, whether driving or otherwise, are sadly unacquainted.

Thai road user laws are not much different in countries that have a lot of vehicles on the roads as Thailand now does have.

• Max highway speed is based on condition of the road every vehicle maintaining same speed one will nicely follow the other. Up till now Cruise Control is not much help in Thailand, Thai drivers insist pumping accelerator and brake pedal in succession.
  • Speed on off & on ramps when maintaining posted speed there will be no spinout because it is set way below spinout speed. Every Thai “Fangio” thinks she/he knows better.
  • Frequent lane changes not to exceed 4 in distance traveled of 1-Km.
  • Tailgating, distance between vehicle in front must be 1 vehicle length for every 20 Km speed i.e. motorway 120 Km : 20Km = 6 vehicle lengths.
  • Rearview mirrors view of the road behind must not be obstructed and properly adjust to give maximum rearview.
  • Tires pressures must be maintained at vehicle manufacturers listed pressure when tires are cold.

I discussed with a Traffic Police captain why their booking of violators is so sporadic?

His answer:

“There are not enough officers in the Force to enforce the laws as necessary, with the Mai Pen Rai Thai mentality you need one officer for every 3-drivers. So we just let them kill themselves and hopefully in years to come they may wake up to the fact that for a society to function they have to follow rules and regulation that are for everybody. Not as it is now were people regard the rules and regulations are for the other persons, not them.”

Of course the government is no help either for example on one side of the street is the police office of vehicle exhaust noise control, while on the other side of the street is the Gov. Office of Business Licenses issuing business licenses to vehicle manufacturers designed exhaust backpressure destroyers because of the Thai mentality; NOISE equals POWER.

Ya definitely have to watch your back when your driving in thailand.You've got to be paying 100% attention every second.

There are many places I won't drive in thailand.There are A few places that I will.I've known thailand driving since 1971.

It has gotten A little better but not all that much.it's the wild wild west out there.

Ya definitely have to watch your back when your driving in thailand.You've got to be paying 100% attention every second.

There are many places I won't drive in thailand.There are A few places that I will.I've known thailand driving since 1971.

It has gotten A little better but not all that much.it's the wild wild west out there.

110% Attention keep the speed down look well ahead and think what is the most stupid thing that this driver will do and 80% of the time they will.

All this whilst looking behind you and thinking the same thing.

Certainly is a a challenge driving here and I do a lot drove to Roi Et from Sata Hip and back a month ago through the mountains amazing the number of Thais used to the flatlands that cannot drive on mountain (hilly) roads especially ill maintained trucks and buses. Solid lines NO OVERTAKING do they actually tell them about this in the test if they take a test i hear that 50% on the road do not have a licence.

Stay safe this New Year and take care lots of care.I have driven in lots of countries round the world and only parts of West Africa and maybe the Middle East would compare its all about education and I suppose the lack of thought about LIFE as it will not happen to me or the old time is money Mini Bus & Taxi Syndrome.

Think & Stay Safe

Whilst a lot may rest in driver education (the majority) and actual proper tests for drivers, things like keeping uncle Somchai and his family out of the back of pick ups makes a lot more sense. If vehicle laws insist seat belts in vehicles and helmets on motorcycles, then isn't it about time to ban riding in the back of pick ups or at least if stupidity prevails, make them wear a helmet. They don't stand a chance in any accident especially when the mug at the wheel is driving too fast, has no evasive driving skills or defensive driving education. But let's not forget the social activities of drinking in the back of pickups hurtling down motorways, which I guess, lessens the pain when you get turfed out in an accident. rolleyes.gif

I think many miss the real point. Empower and require ALL policemen to enforce ALL vehicle laws whenever they see them. Like no rear light or lights at all on motorcycle. Impound motorcycle until unlicensed operator pays a 500-1000B fine and do not release to an unlicensed operator. Require the policemen to watch for violations ALL the time, not just once on awhile at some traffic stop to check things. I personally don't have a big problem with Uncle and family in the back, much rather have that than 4-5 on a motorcycle. Ticket students who do not have a license AND fine the parents. Make this a reportable offense AND x number of offenses cannot get a license until a year or so later. Pull the speeding vehicle over that just blew by the police vehicle and make them pay. Fine bus drivers for not following traffic lanes at intersections for turning. Start ticketing double or illegally parked vehicles everywhere including trucks making deliveries. In other words start enforcing the laws they have constantly. That is the only way behavior will change.

Edited by lockman

Little will change unless and until corruption in LoS is substantially reduced (because so many people can graft their way out of penalties, for just about anything). Don't be hanging by your thumbs waiting.

And the BiB rely upon percentages of fines to boost their incomes rather than being on adequate set wages (leaving aside all the bars, hotels, housing estates and other establishments that pay their monthly 'police fees'). If the percentages are their main incentive to work, then little wonder they only concentrate on the quick and easy revenue raisers and largely ignore offences that involve work/slow turnover.

Then, transportation expert Kunnawee Kanitpong  commented that Thai roads were in bad condition and were to blame for 45 per cent of the accidents. In other countries, there is enough space alongside roads for drivers who lose control, to make it to safety without having to crash into another vehicle or a wall. Thai roads, unfortunately, don't have such a space.

When did Michael Schumaker die?

I think that the Thai's are the cause of all the problems and until they wise up and listen to farangs, they will never advance. I wish they would all leave and start their own country, and leave this country to us farangs.

First of all there lies, dam_n lies and statistics. Or so we were happy to believe. I'l add another - Thai statistics.

Bored this holiday? Try doing the maths, as I can't for the life of me figure the equations that give 35.8% of 393 accidents. It's actually impossible to arrive at such a number. Unless you're Thai that is. As if that weren't bad enough we are then asked to get our heads around a whole decade of recorded stats running into baffling numbers so great that only an International bank's computers can keep track of. But it all sounds so good. NASA put a man on the moon with fewer numbers being crunched.

And lets be fair there are 2501 and one checkpoints. Thank god it's not just the 2,500 or I wouldn't feel safe. And then there's all those 65,594 staff manning the checkpoints. Who counted them each morning? He'd get the Bangkok traffic moving. Never mind. More important matters. There are then 26.2 staff at each checkpoint. The point 2 bit being covered by the pregnant woman, there to carry the beers.

Funny that. Near to where I am, at the cross roads check point there were 3 blokes asleep on a couple of sofas. Oh, and a woman with tattooed arms wearing the ubiquitious beige uniform but she was on her way to the shops. I knew that as a motorcycle had just passed her going the same way against the traffic. It had three under age kids [ they looked about 5 to 9 in age. You know the sensible older one taking care of the youngsters.] No helmets, but hey! It's hot. Anbd anyway they stayed well in the edge and the lady Cop could clearly keep an eye on them.

Still at this time of road safety consciousness our officer responding quickly got her poo-parah and returned to the safety of a sofa, slumber and som tam. The kids? Oh, they'll be alright. accidents happen to other people.

My drive back from home was safely behind and distanced from an obvious drunk who didn't know if he was on this earth or fuller's earth. Never quick, but slow, slower, slowish, slowest. Veering left, right, right a bit further, centre, back to the right, way left, hard shoulder, edge, beyond the edge, violently right, head on opposite lane, back in the edge.

I chose the safest time to pass him as he drove off the road way to the left but in a straight line parrallel to the road. He was slumped at the wheel basically hung on it, mouth widely agape, eyes hooded, hands limp; completely out of it. On the road I passed through 4 check points. That driver must have too. As we know all are staffed by an average of 26.2 hard working up right citizens. Doing their public duty. You may only see a couple but the stats prove there are another 24 in the bushes - watching. I bet he got a right telling off from them. It's a good job he'd got his act together for when I came along. Otherwise he could have killed someone. In fact he could have killed anyone for anything that anyone seemed to care!

What the government announce and intend it seems they are in capable of getting anyone out of bed let alone actually doing as instructed. May be it is lost in traslation. They make all the right sounding noises in Thai and then it's lost in translation; coming out something akin to: ' Get drunk, increase the speed, pack every body into, on, the pick-up or motorcycle, switch off the lights off, keep hydrated on 40 degree, fot flat, red means faster and see what Buddha reckons.'

Furthermore, when we were stopped at a checkpoint we recognised one Police Officer who had rightly stopped my wife before when she stupidly rode her motorbike without helmet. She was fined but made a phone call to the family's Police Officer who simply had the thing recinded. The Officer who once did his jobeffectively, now called off the other Police and we just went through unchecked.

I could have been rat arsed.

And as for my wife, married to a farang, constantly hectored, lectured, badgered, chastised, nagged, told a motorbike and a helmet - full stop. She chooses to ignore it. She'll put a gallon of petrol in a plastic water bottle [!!!] inside the car. She'll ask me if I want to 'try the chain saw' all 4 foot long and bouncing off the wood. The point is they have no concept of danger. No understanding of or appreciation for Health and Safety.

My one bad injury here was as a result of momentarily neglecting the inner voice that said 'don't do it'. But I didn't heed the warning and my blood turned sticky and dark on the red earth where I fell with my flesh ripped open. The Thai way then. Once only coming to a hospital near you. But never again. Ferk what the Thais think. I'm steel toe capped, ear defended, eyes lensed, hands gloved, wrists wrapped, shins guarded, industrail garment clad, hot and sweaty ................ but I'm safe ..er. The Thais? They just laugh, even when they are bleading.

The same Thai way that sees me visit the rural barbers to be told he died last week. Motorcy. Or when I visit more relations and learn of the lost son; motorcy. The stacked chairs and loud speakers by the road side: pick-up accident. The arriving cars and attendant Police gathering in a field, small building, middle of nowhere; big boss, ran off the road drunk.

This is where I live. Rural. Arse end of nowhere. Lined with funerals, chimneys smoking, the wasted sons and mutilated daughters thrown from motorcys late at night in the dark, unseen.

When you've got a nation of people who think nothing of walking four a breast along the roads, who re-act to head on cars by staring dough eyed at them, who allow their kids to travel on the roofs of buses, to hang from the back of pick-up taxis, when buses are filled with the standing and the hanging, when lorries have no weight restrictions, when roads are unrepaired, rutted, lethal, accidents ahead are shown by a cut down branch 20 metres before the crashed vehicle, when drink and driving is linked as the thing to do; then what hope at all is there?

Absolutely none.

I actually don't give a toss for the Thais welfare. Mr. Gump's 'stupid is as stupid does'. Should cover it. But it affects me every time I step behind the wheel and spend the time defensively driving with some lunatic on my bumper having arrived there at break neck speed only to flash his lights to get out of his way. Or, I'm dealing with the other lunatics who hurtle head on at me almost expecting a new dimension to appear and create a space to pass. They can't go round bends other than on the wrong side or squeezing you off the road.

I loath the Thai psyche of little men, down trodden by society to know their place and never speak out, powerless and largely impoverished [certainly of morals, ethics, intelligence, common sense or decency] throughout their lives who find a temporary cocooned existence behind the wheel where all the pent up emotion floods out, the anger, frustration, rage and hate pours out within that steel shell. Hence they drive as they do.

Follow one. A suicidal maniac. But as soon as he stops, he is all calm and composure, stepping from the vehicle and assuming that perfect smiling outer calm of knowing place and that you can do nothing to change it. Harmless. 7 stone dripping wet. And yet quarter of a mile back he'd have taken you and your family to hell in a hand cart.

That's the problem.

That and anyone can do anything, including killing 9 on the tollway, because no one ever stopped that child and made them conform, fit in. There is no responsibilty in Thai society. Neither is there any accountability. The law fails and so to does the justice system. You answer to know one. And the ones who are supposed to love and protect actually put that girl behind the wheel of that car. Na Ayutahya goes along way to explaining it. The clan of the untouchables. They've seen 20 thousand outraged but powerless Thais venting their own anger and frustration at her senseless carnage. So may be there is some hope as Thais have indicated a grain of sense; a speck of response; but recieved not a crumb of comfort. The mother hopes to avoid prosectuion. Where are the powers that be. Are they simply hoping to avoid the whole thing and allow it to quietly go away? In the same manner they quietly year upon year allow this carnage upon the roads.

Therefore, we see examples of the unacceptable repeated adinfinitum throughout Thai society like some form of macabre dance that never ends.

If it were a film, it would be a bloody merciless one. But it is not 2 hours of cineplex. It is a reality. And just as bloody.

Who's for the next flight out? Pack your bags or take your chances as nothing here ever gets any better. But then .......... never mind.

"On not caused by - there's a difference and I doubt if the reporter was involved in each incident so how would they know?

he first day of this year's "Seven Dangerous Days", which started on Wednesday, there were 24 deaths and 425 injuries in 393 road accidents, 35.88 per cent of which were caused by drunk driving and 16.54 per cent by speeding, while 79.65 per cent of all smashups involved motorcycles."

THis is pretty bad reporting

It should read "involving"

My one year old daughter got thrown out of the baby seat into the front of the car

Why on earth was she sitting loose like that?

Unfortunately - they took the opportunity, whilst sitting stationary at the lights to do a quick pamper change - mom's seatbelt was off too in the rear. Something we used to do all the time without really considering the possibility someone would drive a bus into our car.

The past few days here in CM the traffic has increased due to the influx for the holidays, etc. Many of the vehicle drivers probably learned to navigate Thai roads on motorcycles and thus apparently bring that experience/thinking with them when the get behind the wheel. You watch how they will cut off or in front of other vehicles, it seems to indicate motorcycle mentality.

If you keep these thoughts and drive defensively as well as being 'scared of having a accident' you might have a chance. That is until the blunder head that you do not expect gets you. Drugged up, pissed sightless, falls asleep, and those truckers who say watch out for me as I am the biggest. Dont forget those who due to their perceived status expect the rest of us to get out of their way.

We used to refer to tonight as amateur night, but Thailand seems to have a very extended time peroid for people to show their arse and get out in traffic.

Chiang mai is terrible at the moment.all these idiots up from Bangkok who seem to have no driving skills whatsoever and are racing round the countryside,trying to get the whole tour in,in 3 days,with complete disregard to anybody else using the road.and yes these car drivers do seem to think they are driving motorcycles.i have driven here for 16 years and you seem to develop a six sense when on the roads,you just know that the idiot in front is going to do something pretty stupid.I saw a young Thai women the other day,she was on the phone and also had a tv on the dashboard,talk about multitasking, and was all over the road,I hit the horn to get past her,and what a dirty look i got,she must have missed something on the tv.anybody using a phone in a car should be jailed., Thais are very bad drivers and using a phone as well is just Russian roulette in a car,at the expense of some other poor sod doing nothing wrong.

Why do people go on about OTHER drivers? - If you are a good driver there is no need.

If you climb a mountain and fall off - you don't blame the mountain -

Being a good driver is irrelevant if someone goes through a red light and hits you ... along with all the other things bad drivers do that you have no control over but could kill you.

Just to put things in perspective, Australia's Christmas road toll equates to less than 9 per day ("IF" its population was also 60 million, the same as Thailand's)

Thailand had 26 per day. Considering the shockingly bad way Thai's drive and the enormous amount of money that Australia devotes to trying to bring the road toll down to zero, the statistics are not that bad! Makes you wonder about saturation points of trying to achieve the impossible = no deaths. Millions and millions are spent trying to achieve this in Australia every year but to no avail.

Just something to mull over..

Source: http://www.smh.com.au/national/national-road-toll-reaches-43-20110102-19d4c.html

Why do people go on about OTHER drivers? - If you are a good driver there is no need.

If you climb a mountain and fall off - you don't blame the mountain -

But if you are just sat there minding your own business and a mountain falls on you, is it Ok to blame the mountain then?

You really haven't got to grips with this critical thinking thing that you like to trot out at every available opportunity, especially the thinking part.