Shambles On Beach Road

thaibeachlovers

Had a "walk" along the walkway last night, and it's a disaster! As City Hall has authorised stalls along both sides of the walkway there is not enough space left for pedestrians to pass in both directions, and allow customers to purchase goods from the stalls. It's worst with the food stalls, as they front on the pedestrian space, while in the tents one can at least get out of the way of the moving pedestrians. Coupled with that is the very real danger posed by the red hot braziers which often intrude on the walking space, and then there's the electric wires on the ground which are trip wires, not to mention dangerous electrical hazards.

I also feel for the poor gardeners, as their flower beds have been destroyed!

It's not even as if one could use the pavement on the other side of the road as an alternative, as anyone tried to walk there knows.

It's also informative about City Hall, that the walkway itself has still not been repaired, and is the same dangerous decrepit disgrace as it has been for years now. The fireworks were fantastic, but probably cost more than what it would take to repair this atrocious eyesore.

Lastly, the crossing lights on Beach Road don't work! Just how incompetent is this administration!!!!

Used to be that they closed Beach Rd and put the tents on the road, but the present situation is a scandal. It's time they made Second Rd two way ( permanently ), and closed Beach Rd for such situations. Is that too simple an option for the ^&%$"£)*s in City Hall?

Edited by thaibeachlovers

I was hopeful when they set up the tents originally as they were set off the pavement. However, it seems like they vendors have expanded out into the walking area and others have also come along and set up directly on the footpath.

The only time you can go for a walk or a run is early in the morning, say 7 to 9 am or so. If you get there early enough, you see the disgusting trash left over from the night before which the vendors of course take no responsibility for cleaning.

The tents serve a useful purpose. They block the view of the Jetski scam, and farangs being beaten for not paying. Notice, while walking down beach road, you have to be so careful, and watching your step so closely, that you never look to the beach. Setting up tents to block the view, was easier than shutting down the Jet Ski scam.

Ok it's difficult to walk there.....even if you see something you like it's difficult to stand still and look at the product....

but it's a way of making extra money,for the thai and falangpeople.

Soon it will be over then the coconut bar costumers can do their old habbits.

Happy new year!!!!!!!!!!

Ok it's difficult to walk there.....even if you see something you like it's difficult to stand still and look at the product....

but it's a way of making extra money,for the thai and falangpeople.

Soon it will be over then the coconut bar costumers can do their old habbits.

Happy new year!!!!!!!!!!

So is selling your mother but there are some things you don't do ...

Edited by Jingthing

i was down there last night to celebrate new year

we walked from Dusit to Royal Garden stopping along the way for the odd drink and a breather

i admit its shambolic on th beach side but its really no different to many other Thai markets i have been to

they are given a spot and they fill what they are given to the brim and then go beyond it

its nice to have a scapegoat in city hall but i have no doubt even if they pushed them back into their designated spaces they would still expand again once the inspectors had gone

in my personal opinion, they are like most Thai's, they will try to get away with what they can, when they can.

on a personal note i enjoyed it, it was a good atmosphere, there were many vendors with copy goods selling with impunity

the beach party seemed to be successful with an offshore laser adding to the atmosphere

the fireworks were spectacular, the air was full and you hardly knew where to look

locals and tourists seemed to be in good spirits

it reminded me of the old days ..........

oh , a happy new year to everyone

This is Thailand, normal logic does not apply! Although Pattaya is looking more and more like the west with new shopping malls and western franchises ie: McDonald's, Subway, Starbucks that is where the similarity ends. It will never be like the west in terms of cleanliness and properly run local authorities. The sooner you accept that then the sooner you can start to enjoy Pattaya for what it does offer!

well as you mention it something tripped the power at about 00:30 and knocked out a large area around soi 7/8 beach road, I just hope it wasn't a person

I also witnessed several large fireworks being knocked over and causing injuries to many people, drunks crowds and fireworks don't mix, I was 10 feet away from one that took off sideways instead of up people where running all directions women screaming with some very obvious nasty injuries

this is the same 'pride' that demonstrates the new 'International' standards lifting Patts into a world destination ...Yahoooooo !!

I think the Tents disguising the 'Crash & Bash' of the Jet Ski scams , hiding the Lady Boys from Public view & totally hiding the 'floating' objects & jellyfish polluting the so- called Beach is working wonderfully.

Now if they offered a cheap $150.00 4 day visit to Tourists in India to come to Thailand they would really get the Tourist figures UP OOooooops they just did that !!

:jap:

this is the same 'pride' that demonstrates the new 'International' standards lifting Patts into a world destination ...Yahoooooo !!

I think the Tents disguising the 'Crash & Bash' of the Jet Ski scams , hiding the Lady Boys from Public view & totally hiding the 'floating' objects & jellyfish polluting the so- called Beach is working wonderfully.

Now if they offered a cheap $150.00 4 day visit to Tourists in India to come to Thailand they would really get the Tourist figures UP OOooooops they just did that !!

:jap:

These Indians coming on cheap trips are probably some the same ones that are offered cheap jet ski rides and then spend hours and hours being abused and threatened and have a lot more money extorted from them which is probably 20 times higher than the holiday price for no damage or minor damage and many times with the assistance of Indians living locally who are involved in the scam.

It makes me wonder if the Old Indian guy with the turban that is in on the scam is also involved in organising the tours.

Edited by saintofsilence

well as you mention it something tripped the power at about 00:30 and knocked out a large area around soi 7/8 beach road, I just hope it wasn't a person

I also witnessed several large fireworks being knocked over and causing injuries to many people, drunks crowds and fireworks don't mix, I was 10 feet away from one that took off sideways instead of up people where running all directions women screaming with some very obvious nasty injuries

Yes, very dangerous. I was hit by one last Loy Krathong. Luckily it only burned a hole in my shorts, and not in me. What with that, and all my near misses on the roads, my nine lives must be nearly up! Are bikers that drive up narrow sois at 50 mph morons, or just stupid?

we walked from Dusit to Royal Garden stopping along the way for the odd drink and a breather

i admit its shambolic on th beach side but its really no different to many other Thai markets i have been to

they are given a spot and they fill what they are given to the brim and then go beyond it

its nice to have a scapegoat in city hall but i have no doubt even if they pushed them back into their designated spaces they would still expand again once the inspectors had gone

in my personal opinion, they are like most Thai's, they will try to get away with what they can, when they can.

on a personal note i enjoyed it, it was a good atmosphere, there were many vendors with copy goods selling with impunity

the beach party seemed to be successful with an offshore laser adding to the atmosphere

the fireworks were spectacular, the air was full and you hardly knew where to look

IMO it's not a question of expanding beyond the designated space, but having stalls on both sides of the walkway, which is not wide enough, but as said, it's all about maximising rents, and to h-ll with people and safety.

IMO it's not a question of expanding beyond the designated space, but having stalls on both sides of the walkway, which is not wide enough, but as said, it's all about maximising rents, and to h-ll with people and safety.

yes we all know its a disorganised shithole , that's why i moved out to the relative peace of Mabrachan

when you go there you know what its going to be like and you need to adjust your expectations accordingly or you will always be disapointed

i used to live in Spain and its never going to be like that in Pattaya no matter how hard they try or how much money they throw at it

the Thais do not have the ability, aptitude or inclination to make it that way

the only way it could ever change would be if a revered voice stood up and said :

don't litter! respect your neighbor! respect your country!

maybe some would listen and Thailand would be better for it

you can legislate all you want, it won't change the Thai mindset

they simply do not see it like we do

just follow a songtao full of school kids

during the journey you will be subjected to a barrage of empty drink cups, snack bags and general litter being thrown out of the truck

whilst the next generation thinks that its ok to do that, Thailand will always be the same............

what about the traffic? no parking / stopping signs all the way along on the beach/market side, but the market owners keep parking their pickups there

it would make sense to reverse the direction of beach road/second road

then tourist coaches would disembark their charges onto the beach side rather than have them attempt to cross the road, song tao could stop on that side only

some designated parking of 1 hour duration only could be allowed in bays with concrete divisions

there would be no parking of cars or motorbikes on the non beach side except for loading/unloading and only between 7am & 10 am for 20 minutes duration

what about the traffic? no parking / stopping signs all the way along on the beach/market side, but the market owners keep parking their pickups there

it would make sense to reverse the direction of beach road/second road

then tourist coaches would disembark their charges onto the beach side rather than have them attempt to cross the road, song tao could stop on that side only

some designated parking of 1 hour duration only could be allowed in bays with concrete divisions

there would be no parking of cars or motorbikes on the non beach side except for loading/unloading and only between 7am & 10 am for 20 minutes duration

Yes, but that would require the police to actually enforce the no parking rule, and the saying snowballs in hell springs to mind.

I've long advocated 2 way on Second ( there is enough space all the way ) and Beach could be closed from 6pm, like Walking Street, from Central to South. That would allow tables chairs etc to be set up on the road, and on special occasions, like Xmas New Year, be closed all day to allow tents to be set up. They used to do that.