Farang Food In Chalong

petercallen

After all the good reviews of the "Family" my wife and I had lunch there yesterday. I had fish and chips. The longest french fry was about one and a half inches long. The rest were real greasy and tiny...I was really hoping for a real shwarma with a mix of lamb and other meats. Nope just a few pieces of chicken and tons of lettuce and very little of the special white sauce that helps to make a good shwarma. With all the hoopla over this restaurant I will give it another try thinking our visit was just a one off.

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone tried the Chao Khun brekkie buffet? A friend of mine says it's much better than thaiphoon around the corner, but I've yet to try either.

Reasonable breakfast. In low season they used to have a few days a week 100 baht, which was excellent value for money.

excellent value for the money, yes, but i stopped going there due to the lack of quality in food. (stale bread, soggy fruit, ants all over the salad bar) has it changed at all? haven't been there since perhaps october?

Don't know, haven't been there as well for while.

Agree with The Family, have been there a few times and was always disappointed.

choa khun was excellent when buffet breakky was 99b, haven't been there since the price went up but i'm sad to hear it's gone down hill as i was hanging out for low season again =)

there's a new guy doing food at enigma bar on viset road now who does a proper big breakky that looks great, but haven't tried it yet.

Anyone tried the Chao Khun brekkie buffet? A friend of mine says it's much better than thaiphoon around the corner, but I've yet to try either.

Reasonable breakfast. In low season they used to have a few days a week 100 baht, which was excellent value for money.

excellent value for the money, yes, but i stopped going there due to the lack of quality in food. (stale bread, soggy fruit, ants all over the salad bar) has it changed at all? haven't been there since perhaps october?

Don't know, haven't been there as well for while.

Agree with The Family, have been there a few times and was always disappointed.

I've been there a few times and have never found the food particularly good.

The staff are friendly though, always a plus. And they have decent vegetarian food, not easy to come by on Phuket.

I still find Familys "Chalong Plate" good now and then :)

The Pita bread is fantastic

Gf & I occasionally go to Family & enjoy Chalong Plate or something similar. Would love to find a good doner kebab somewhere like the ones I used to enjoy when living in Sydney.

I used to live in the Patong Grand Condotel next to the Patong Condotel where the 9th Floor is (which did not exist in those days although there was another restaurant there) & at that time it was known as hotel katoey. Have no idea what it is like now but parking was at a premium way back then. After we moved to Kathu the ex was visiting friends & parked outside hotel katoey later finding our car had been coined all around. Who knows if it was the result of an argument or if she was parked in someones "spot".

Would love to find a good doner kebab somewhere like the ones I used to enjoy when living in Sydney.

Funny you should mention that. A new kebab house has just opened up 50 metres past the Rawai road to Sai Yuan turn off on the left-hand side.

Could someone please check it out and report as I'm working at the moment.

Would love to find a good doner kebab somewhere like the ones I used to enjoy when living in Sydney.

Funny you should mention that. A new kebab house has just opened up 50 metres past the Rawai road to Sai Yuan turn off on the left-hand side.

really miss some good turkish kebab

Patong drinking sessions, I sometimes get a Kebab outside Rock City at Bangla/Rat u tit 200 phi, but at that time of night anything tastes great :D

Besides he only serves chicken and beef, some lamb is desired

really miss some good turkish kebab

Patong drinking sessions, I sometimes get a Kebab outside Rock City at Bangla/Rat u tit 200 phi, but at that time of night anything tastes great :D

Besides he only serves chicken and beef, some lamb is desired

The kebab house in Rawai advertises lamb. Looking forward to a report.

After all the good reviews of the "Family" my wife and I had lunch there yesterday. I had fish and chips. The longest french fry was about one and a half inches long. The rest were real greasy and tiny...I was really hoping for a real shwarma with a mix of lamb and other meats. Nope just a few pieces of chicken and tons of lettuce and very little of the special white sauce that helps to make a good shwarma. With all the hoopla over this restaurant I will give it another try thinking our visit was just a one off.

For sure just a case of ordering the wrong thing.

Order the schwarma plate, ask for an extra pita. I've never been a big fan of the white sauce (a sort of yoghurt?), I prefer the spicy sauce.

Been there twice and that was enough, one of the worst meals i have experienced on the island.

Been there twice and that was enough, one of the worst meals i have experienced on the island.

Each to their own but I enjoy the food at Family & was about to eat there yesterday when a big bus pulled up outside & everyone went inside to eat so continued on to Kallots (unusually empty) where gf & I had an enjoyable lunch.

There's some new Turkish restaurant that just opened up on the main road from Chalong to Rawai. It looks to be about 500 metres before Friendship in one of the new shophouse type buildings. They are advertising kebabs and "European Food".

I tried the first or second day it opened, I might as well of put a sock in my mouth. Dry kebab, no seasoning and about 5 bahts worth of chicken inside. That being said, I will try again in a few weeks to see if they get that sorted.

There is also a place called Khan opposite banana corner that advertises free flow wine for 399B and I tried the food their which was ok, had a lamb kebab, the indian style kofka. They also have burgers, everything between 190-220B.

And to the family restaurant, I absolutely love their chicken scwarma. It might be an acquired taste because at first I was not impressed, but they grew on me and I now always order 2.

There's some new Turkish restaurant that just opened up on the main road from Chalong to Rawai. It looks to be about 500 metres before Friendship in one of the new shophouse type buildings. They are advertising kebabs and "European Food".

I tried the first or second day it opened, I might as well of put a sock in my mouth. Dry kebab, no seasoning and about 5 bahts worth of chicken inside. That being said, I will try again in a few weeks to see if they get that sorted.

There is also a place called Khan opposite banana corner that advertises free flow wine for 399B and I tried the food their which was ok, had a lamb kebab, the indian style kofka. They also have burgers, everything between 190-220B.

And to the family restaurant, I absolutely love their chicken scwarma. It might be an acquired taste because at first I was not impressed, but they grew on me and I now always order 2.

have been meaning to try that khan place, if nothing else except for the ambience--it looks swank with the red lights. was the menu extensive?

there also seems to be something just opposite freedom / near nikitas.. deep or whatever that new place is, advertising kebabs for sale.. think it's only open at night tho.

used to get great kebabs in CM for 50b by zoe in yellow.

Talking of Nikitas ,had the worst crab cakes I;ve ever had on Phuket there recently;

didn't taste any crab at all.

And too many people smoking while we ate.

just wanna vote +1 for the new pizza place in rawai on viset rd a couple of hundred metres before the pier, next to mai's guesthouse / coffee shop.. big, quality pizzas, decent price and free buschetta.. i'm totally stuffed! hope it lasts.

Had a good chicken burger in Delish yesterday along with a large banana smoothie. I was not so keen on the McDonald type fries but the owner is amenable to suggestions & hopefully he will change to home made ones. I will go back to try the beef burger & the toasted sandwiches sometime. There is a Vietnamese next door & what looks like an Italian/pizza place opening soon in the same complex i.e. Fisherman's Way.

When I'm sitting in an outdoor bar, I think it's rather rude and inconsiderate for people seated near me to eat whilst I'm smoking.

sorry for trying to breath clean air while sitting outside having some lunch.....

stay in your smoking cubicle you get more smoke that way...LOL

When I'm sitting in an outdoor bar, I think it's rather rude and inconsiderate for people seated near me to eat whilst I'm smoking.

sorry for trying to breath clean air while sitting outside having some lunch.....

You'd better accept it: in outdoor places people smoke, like it or not. I am a non-smoker btw.

Steak:

http://www.norbusteakhouse.com/

http://www.wineconnection.co.th/

http://www.vsetrestaurant.com/ (near KanEng 1)

http://www.karoncafe.com/

Pizza, Italien:

http://www.capannina-phuket.com/

M&M Pizza direction Naiharn

http://www.davinciphuket.com/

Amalfi (Google, direction Naiharn)

Mexican Food:

http://www.salamexicali.com/

French:

http://phuketdir.com/dibukrestaurant/

Edited by drake

Had a good chicken burger in Delish yesterday along with a large banana smoothie. I was not so keen on the McDonald type fries but the owner is amenable to suggestions & hopefully he will change to home made ones. I will go back to try the beef burger & the toasted sandwiches sometime. There is a Vietnamese next door & what looks like an Italian/pizza place opening soon in the same complex i.e. Fisherman's Way.

Did you get a sourdough bun with your chicken burger ? I tried it and it looked and tasted like a normal boring white flour bun....nothing I will return for, but there are other things on the menu that I would like to try. The waitress was very nice though :) I did see the Vietnamese place next door and felt a bit sorry for the lady owner sitting alone outside waiting for customers. Maybe I'll try that place next time, but I always worry about empty places and the freshness of their food....

Did you get a sourdough bun with your chicken burger ? I tried it and it looked and tasted like a normal boring white flour bun....nothing I will return for, but there are other things on the menu that I would like to try. The waitress was very nice though :) I did see the Vietnamese place next door and felt a bit sorry for the lady owner sitting alone outside waiting for customers. Maybe I'll try that place next time, but I always worry about empty places and the freshness of their food....

It did appear to be a normal store bought bun. I was chatting with the owner about life in general & forgot to mention the bun as there was a problem with a small chocolate caramel cake in that the caramel part was so hard it could easily break your teeth. He apologised & replaced it with another cake of my choice. So it appears there are some teething problems which they need to sort out quickly if they are to survive.

Talking of Nikitas ,had the worst crab cakes I;ve ever had on Phuket there recently;

didn't taste any crab at all.

And too many people smoking while we ate.

Nikitas has the worst food in Rawaii and allways has...even when they stopped using Bahn Rimlay food and started their own kitchen it sucks. The Pizza's are low the pies are tortured...( i dont know how you can ruin a "lady pie" but they manage it there) there is not one tasty falung dish...the Thai is passable but its slow to arrive....But in saying that im down there at least 3 times a week for the real cold beer and the great view. The staff are nice and friendly too

You'd better accept it: in outdoor places people smoke, like it or not. I am a non-smoker btw.

Im a non smoker but do you get upset at the cars too? they emit more smoke than smokers ever will.