Playing Uk Lottery Abroad

kunash

Hi, I have a standing order to play the UK lottery every week, plus i go online and play the euromillions, by buying 4 weeks worth of numbers. It is my understanding that the lottery people are trying to or have stopped people doing this online while they are abroad. Before I leave for Thailand i will buy 4 weeks worth of euromillions, but i will be in Thailand for 5 weeks. I have asked a friend to buy me the 5th week, but have they now stopped people from playing online in countries outside the EU?

If you are resident in the UK/Europe,ie you have an address in the UK, dont think you will have a problem. You are actuall on holiday so dont think they would penalise you for that

Think the problem comes up if somebody is non-resident in the UK and they play the lottery, I beleive in under these circumstances they can refuse to pay you out if you do happen to win

Camelot say that to be totally safe one should not play the lottery whilst abroad, even if on holiday.

Seems to me Camelot are acting rather Owellian....:blink: .....imagine the poor bast*ard who has scrimped and saved all year for his two weeks in the sun, goes away on holiday, his numbers come up and Camelot tell him sorry no payment, you where on holiday.... I could imagine on arriving home, the person concerned retriving his shot gun from under the stairs and paying a visit to the local Camelot offices....:lol:

Camelot.

Can I play while overseas?

No, to play UK National Lottery games online, you must be a resident of the UK or Isle of Man at all times. You must also be physically located in the UK or Isle of Man when buying a ticket or when setting up or amending a Direct Debit Account, including changing your numbers and payment details.

If you do not meet these requirements, any ticket purchases you make will be declared invalid and no prizes paid, and we will have the right to reclaim any prizes already paid under these circumstances.

Camelot.

No, to play UK National Lottery games online, you must be a resident of the UK or Isle of Man at all times. You must also be physically located in the UK or Isle of Man when buying a ticket or when setting up or amending a Direct Debit Account, including changing your numbers and payment details.

If you do not meet these requirements, any ticket purchases you make will be declared invalid and no prizes paid, and we will have the right to reclaim any prizes already paid under these circumstances.

so if I am reading this correctly, if you dont mess with anything you have set up via the direct debit prior to going on holiday, you would be ok, but if while abroad you change anything you are stuffed..?

Camelot.

so if I am reading this correctly, if you dont mess with anything you have set up via the direct debit prior to going on holiday, you would be ok, but if while abroad you change anything you are stuffed..?

That's how I read it, my previous reply was badly worded.

I stopped playing for the simple reason; if I won…They would not pay out! They were more than happy in allowing me to set up an Internet account with them, from Thailand and pick numbers, basically take my money. Now, I’m not a (total) idiot, I tried to get information on this matter, I found some info but a little inconclusive for my liking. I don’t have any major problem with rules……..Rules is rules, right, it would just be nice to know what they are before it costs you money.

I think it would be interesting to know “LOTTO’s point of view regarding the fact that if you did pull up 6 numbers, I would bet a pound to a pinch of shit, there wonderful technology would red flag the fact that you set-up, altered or paid money into your account fund with them outside the ‘play zone’ in a heartbeat and not pay out, but they are more than happy to take your stake money while outside the ‘play zone!’

My drip is not one of right and wrong, after all if the rules say you not eligible to win then so be it. This is more about the fact they, the LOTTO, have the means to block this activity, (set-up, alter or pay money into your LOTTO account fund from outside this ‘play zone’ and they don’t) and we bitch about Thai companies ethics. The UK LOTTO is a business….A money collecting business. IMHO the UK LOTTO know exactly what they are doing regarding this issue.

I usually try and buy in advance when leaving the UK. As a matter of interest there have been times when I have been in the UK and using a UK Vodafone Broadband dongle the site has refused to allow me to log-in being insistant that I am not in the UK even though I was.

I have an account with lottery, and just before I leave the UK, I pay for 6 weeks upfront, if the tickets are paid for whilst you are in the UK it will not be problem. If you try to log on to your account whilst in Thailand, you will get a message saying that you are outside of the UK, and advise you not to play, but they will take your money!

Not sure about Euro Millions though

From the Camelot rules:-

© Play Purchase and Prize Restrictions

• (1) There shall be no general right for any person to purchase a Play. In particular, but without limitation and subject to Rule 4©(5), no Play may be purchased by or Prize paid to:
    • (a) any Minor whether acting on his own behalf or on behalf of another person;
    • (B) directors and employees of the Company or the Commission;
    • © specified employees of such key contractors and sub-contractors to the Company as may be specified from time to time by the Commission;
    • (d) personal partners and persons who are, to some extent, maintained by one of any of the persons referred to in Rule 4©(1)(B) and © above, if living in the same household as any such person;
    • (e) any person who has an Account the status of which prohibits them from playing the Draw-Based Games Played Interactively or receiving a Prize (including, without limitation, a person whose Account has been suspended or terminated);
    • (f) any person who is not located in the UK or Isle of Man when seeking to purchase, or at the time of purchasing, the relevant Play;
    • (g) any person who does not meet the criteria set out in Clause 4(A)(1) of the Terms and Conditions and for Online Direct Debit Players, also Rule 4(B)(4);
    • (h) such other persons or category of persons as the Company and the Commission may agree from time to time.

It is ANY purchase made whilst outside the UK that can be voided. As long as you in the UK when making a purchase (or setting up a direct debit) it doesn't matter what you do after that.

From reading a few of the later posts, some form of blocking is now taking place, for IP addresses outside, (and inside, it would appear, unlucky) I think that’s a good thing, I know the last time I logged on, about 2 years ago there was no blocking.

My mate who lives in England was abroad, In Wales,:unsure: He won £3,500,000, it was few years ago now , he was watching Man U at the time when his Mrs said are you going to check the Lottery ,he said i Will do it tomorrow. the rest is history for him.

I used to play the lottery paying by DD when I lived in the UK. I asked if I could continue when I moved to Thailand. Camelot told me no and if I won a major prize the claim would need proof of residence eg a utility bill in my name with a UK address

I used to play the lottery paying by DD when I lived in the UK. I asked if I could continue when I moved to Thailand. Camelot told me no and if I won a major prize the claim would need proof of residence eg a utility bill in my name with a UK address

This part from the website covers it succinctly:-

Can I play from overseas?

No, to play UK National Lottery games online or by text, you must be a resident of the UK or Isle of Man at all times. You must also be physically located in the UK or Isle of Man when buying a ticket or when setting up or amending a Direct Debit Account, including changing your numbers and payment details.

In my case I am resident in the UK but spend a significant amount of my time in Thailand. If I were ever lucky enough to get the 'big one' I would be on a plane to England in a shot (for about 3 weeks max !).

For any UK "non-residents" who wish me to act as agent, I am happy to play on their behalf subject to a 5% commission on all wins over £10. :)

Hmmm,what about those lottery companies who claim the price on behalf of you? Some of those are not even located in the UK, however they do sell UK lottery tickets too??

ye ive played them in los,cost five quid a go,they say you get 35 chances but its a synicate.

I share tickets with my sister who is resident in the UK. In the - highly unlikely - event of a major win, would it be possible for her to collect the winnings and ask for it to be paid with two cheques?

I understand that, if she were to deposit all the money into her bank then transfer half to me, there would be a questions of her paying tax.

Elwood

Camelot.

STRANGE! why is this, The Australian lottery encourage one to use their online facility.

You can log on from overseas, but you'll get a little warning. If you are in the UK and they think you weren't, you would have to prove you were. I got the warning when I logged on via wifi at Heathrow in the lounge. I actually won £15 and wasn't challenged about it, but kept my boarding pass just in case.