Iran bans Valentine's Day due to growing popularity

News_Editor

Iran bans Valentine's Day due to growing popularity

2011-01-02 17:56:18 GMT+7 (ICT)

TEHRAN (BNO NEWS) -- Iran on Sunday announced that it has banned all items relating to Valentine's Day as the annual commemoration of love and affection has become increasingly popular in the Islamic country, state-run media reported.

The Iranian Labour News Agency (ILNA) said all forms of promoting Valentine's Day had been banned, citing a memo from a union. It said the ban included items relating to the day such as posters, brochures, advertising cards, boxes with heart symbols and red roses.

"Information concerning any activities on this day was banned," ILNA said, adding that authorities would take legal action against outlets which ignore the ban.

Valentine's Day is extremely popular in Western countries and the day's popularity has been growing in Iran, frustrating Iranian authorities who seek to prevent any and all Western influence.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-01-02

I wish it was banned in Oz as well. Just another made up day so retailers can get more money out of you. Lucky for me my last few gf's agreed that I buy flowers etc weeks before so I didn't get caught in the high prices charged on that day.

I wish it was banned in Oz as well. Just another made up day so retailers can get more money out of you. Lucky for me my last few gf's agreed that I buy flowers etc weeks before so I didn't get caught in the high prices charged on that day.

I hate Valentine's if I have a girlfriend...but if you're single it's a great night to go out

Hardly suprising on two counts

first it is the feast of St Valentine a Christian saint (I guess most people forgot that!) Last time I checked Iran was an Islamic state and so would not like the idea of Muslims celebrating a Christian saint. Though I guess he might be one of the many commonalities between the Koran and other religions (I didnt read the Koran)

Second it promotes the a notion of Romantic freedom - particularly for females to express their love for someone they are not betrothed to

Yet another nail in the coffin for Persia

...my last few gf's agreed that I buy flowers etc weeks before so I didn't get caught in the high prices charged on that day.

A hopeless romantic. :lol:

I reckon Wallaby should just cut to the chase and raid a funeral of the wreaths when the bereaved have gone home after the service. :D

It certainly is for retailers and romanticists but give me a break Iran, what harm? Let it happen, show the love! It does not harm, creates some jobs and puts money in the economy and maybe, holds a relationship or two together! But that would go against the clerics.

Hardly suprising on two counts

first it is the feast of St Valentine a Christian saint (I guess most people forgot that!) Last time I checked Iran was an Islamic state and so would not like the idea of Muslims celebrating a Christian saint. Though I guess he might be one of the many commonalities between the Koran and other religions (I didnt read the Koran)

Second it promotes the a notion of Romantic freedom - particularly for females to express their love for someone they are not betrothed to

Yet another nail in the coffin for Persia

I believe that It has its origins in an ancient Roman pagan festival celebrating the goddess of love and marriage. The names of young boys and girls were drawn and they were matched up for erotic sexy acts. Apparently it was great fun for the kids, particularly since they were technically middle aged as most people were dead by their mid 30's back then.

Go figger. Iran regresses and the rest of the world advances. However, Iran i going nuclear, so all will be well.

...my last few gf's agreed that I buy flowers etc weeks before so I didn't get caught in the high prices charged on that day.

A hopeless romantic. :lol:

I reckon Wallaby should just cut to the chase and raid a funeral of the wreaths when the bereaved have gone home after the service. :D

Maybe call into the cemetary on the way home? :D :D :D