Hybrid Cars

Upcountry

Instead of a 1.6 million Hybrid camry, i continue driving my old "yunk" car. For 1.6 million i can use petrol for a very long time, lets say 6'000 Baht a month (wich i use for private driving per month), this would be 23 year for me to use that kind of money (1.6 million Baht) for petrol. We all not living forever. Who knows if we still alive in 23 years. So i don't even think to buy any Hybrid or what ever.

If anyone is seriously considering a Hybrid from Toyota, do your homework!!!

Personally, if anyone is serious about the environment, then walk, use a bicycle, subway, skytrain. It has to be a collective exercise and not a singular action.

I once rented a Alphard hybrid in Bangkok.... had the screen showing the flow of electricity and how much fuel it's using, how much charge is left in the batteries, ... very amusing really!!! Amusing being the key word here.

Anyone want to guess the ratio of electricity vs fuel it was using.... here in Bangkok. Anyone.. anyone?! You'd be surprised.

5-10%?

i didn't have my scientific calculator with me at the time but basically, the engine was running 80-90% of the time, at Bangkok city driving.

Battery will be consumed when going moving at slow speeds.

Battery will be consumed when using AC (air conditioning).

Battery will be consumed when sitting idle, with car on; ie at red lights.

Engine kicks in when battery reaches about 50%.

Engine kicks in when driver accelerates heavily, ie: red lights, passing tuk tuks, passing cars.

Brake regeneration occurs when brake is pressed, but not as affective as engine recharging battery.

• 1 month later...

Took a look at one........ they claim 35% saving in city driving, but if even 25% - still ok.

diff between hybrid and non-hybrid = 170,000 baht.

With fuel at current prices, would save 2x that amount in 5 years - so sounds reasonable investment (since getting new car anyway).

so - claims of about 25%-30% correct?

Took a look at one........ they claim 35% saving in city driving, but if even 25% - still ok.

diff between hybrid and non-hybrid = 170,000 baht.

With fuel at current prices, would save 2x that amount in 5 years - so sounds reasonable investment (since getting new car anyway).

so - claims of about 25%-30% correct?

I'm not wholly convinced about hybrids. If you can plug in and charge from the house yes, if the regen braking is as good as F1 yes. But one has to lug all the batteries around.

Top Gear got 45-something mpg out of a Prius and 70 and change from a Lupo diesel.

New car convert to LPG. Helps the environment and saves money.

Another alternative would be Focus diesel. FUEL CONSUMPTION: [2.0TDCi Estate] (urban) 39.2mpg / (extra urban) 61.3mpg / (combined) 50.4mpg (that;s a 4.5l gallon)

Yes you pay a premium for the diesel version but....

Edited by VocalNeal

Todays hybrid cars do better milage by 20-30% in town driving, while fast highway is no better than sister petrol with same power.
You can cut that city driving number by 30-50% when turning on the air conditioning.

It is still better than its non hybrid counterpart, but it starts to look less and less interesting. This, by the way, is why electric cars are still unsuitable as transport options in the tropics. And there is currently nobody seriously trying to address this issue. They are all concentrating on temperate climates in the north for obvious reasons.

I would still recommend CNG over a hybrid for operation in Thailand. Or, if you really want to help the environment, walk. I walk an average of 10 km per day. An average person walks 5 km/hr, so everyone has at least a 2km radius where a car is completely unnecessary. You'd be surprised how little need there is for a vehicle at all once you get in the habit. You'll save a heck of alot more than 10% on fuel, and your wallet will thank you also.

2 main reasons for tropic disadvantage

aircon needed

hot batteries can not accept charging as good as colder batteries

I assume the world is not ready for walking, but howabout a scooter with 80% saving on milage :) Going less than 10-12 km I never use my car.

I hate to wearing a helmet!

• 2 weeks later...