Karon/Kata Vs. Jomtien For A Long Term Stay

californiabeachboy

I have read a lot of posts here comparing Phuket to Pattaya, but that seems a bit inaccurate - comparing a town (Pattaya) with an island that has many different towns. So I would like any information on a more specific comparison of Jomtien Beach vs. the Karon/Kata area.

I am a retired American and looking for a place to stay for a few months a year. I have done some research and narrowed it down to an area in Chon Buri outside of Pattaya - probably Jomtien - and the Karon/Kata area. I have been to Jomtien briefly, but not to K/K - I will be going there in a few weeks to check things out but would like some advance info. I already have a picture of the more obvious differences - K/K is probably more expensive, but with nicer beaches, but it is the "intangibles" I am trying to figure out, so if anyone has experience spending time in both places it would be helpful:

1. I like to cook, so having nice grocery markets nearby is important - any difference there? How about availability of serviced apartments for a month to month stay?

2. Friendliness of the people. This is very subjective I know. But it seems that K/K is more of a temporary stop for people, whereas Jomtien has more long term residents, but I could be wrong about that. Where am I more likely to get to know people that I deal with (at the cafe, the street food vendor, etc.), or maybe even get to know my neighbors?

3. Which place is more "farang-friendly" - good for expats in terms of emergency medical care, finding a bank that will open an account for a non-resident, etc.

Thanks for any info.

(P.S. - I wasn't sure where to post this, but I did it on the Phuket forum because I know less about that area - if the mod wants to move it to another forum that is fine)

1) There are plenty of minimarkets in Kata/Karon, a Lotus Express and Big One in Kata. In neighbouring Chalong we have a Villa Market for all your home food needs. Serviced apartments are available month by month.

2) As you say friendliness of people is subjective. Just your luck really. And you are correct that many 'locals' are in fact from other areas of Thailand.

3) A choice of 3 private hospitals in Phuket Town, about 20 minute drive away. In Kata we only have doctor's offices and a gov medical centre. Easy enough for a foreigner to open a bank account anywhere on Phuket Island, easiest to use would be Siam Commercial or Kasicorn (Thai Farmers). Each have multiple branches in Kata/Karon.

Great reply from LivinginKata....I would add if you really are into the beach, "beach boy", then I can't believe you are comparing the two.

Jomtien is just not that nice of a beach compared with Karon/Kata and many even nicer beaches in Phuket...but maybe that isn't one of your priorities.

After moving 3 times from my original house in Chalong to Kata and finally to Naiharn...I would suggest you really investigate the island of Phuket and give it a fair try out. Rent a bungalow in different areas of the island and you may find something even better than Kata/Karon...but up to you and good luck!

1) There are plenty of minimarkets in Kata/Karon, a Lotus Express and Big One in Kata. In neighboring Chalong we have a Villa Market for all your home food needs. Serviced apartments are available month by month.

2) As you say friendliness of people is subjective. Just your luck really. And you are correct that many 'locals' are in fact from other areas of Thailand.

3) A choice of 3 private hospitals in Phuket Town, about 20 minute drive away. In Kata we only have doctor's offices and a gov medical centre. Easy enough for a foreigner to open a bank account anywhere on Phuket Island, easiest to use would be Siam Commercial or Kasicorn (Thai Farmers). Each have multiple branches in Kata/Karon.

Sorta gilding the lilly there a little bit aren't you LIK :lol:

To take your points one by one and add a few of my own:

The op states he likes to cook and therefore, I assume he needs/wants a pretty well stocked kitchen...both raw food [fruits, veggies, meats, dairy, and spices]. I don't think the little mini-marts and 7-11s/Family Marts found in and around Karon/Kata are what he has in mind. And the the Villa Market in "neighboring" Chalong is hardly convenient...it's at least a 20-30 minute drive over a mountain or around the southern-tip of the island (That's an hour return.). This would be especially true if the op didn't have his own car and had to rely on the Phuket tuk-tuk mafia to make these trips. The other option would the the Carrefour [now Big C] in Patong; and again over several mountains from Kata/Karon and you're at the mercy of the tuk-tuks.

Whereas in Jomtien, you're about a 10 minute drive/ride from either the Lotus or the Big C shopping centers at Sukhumvit Road. You are also only a 20 minute or so drive away from Carrefour on Central Road or any of 3-4 full-service supermarkets in Pattaya proper [not local mini-marts - I am leaving out the Food Mart at the foot of Thepraya Road because of it's limited selection but it too would be much better than any mini-mart in Karon\Kata], e.g., Friendship Market, Villa Market Avenue, Central Gourmet Market Central Beach, and Foodland. Of course, all these markets are also accessible by baht-bus at non-extortionate rates. So on this score, Jomtien dumps all over on Karon/Kata.

As for friendliness, as you say, this is very subjective. I will grant you that if you are looking for fewer drunks and sex-tourists [note I said fewer...but not by much] or at least a better class of both, then you may prefer Kata/Karon over Jomtien.

As for medical care, all the hospitals you cite, like the grocery stores, are a long ways away in an emergency and to get to them from Karon/Kata requires trave over narrow mountain and country roads and therefore are subject to delays in an emergency. The only full-service hospitals that I'm aware of on Phuket are either in Phuket Town or the area near the center of the island near the Lotus/Central malls. These are 30-40 minutes drives from the Karon/Kata area. Again, Pattaya with 3 main hospitals all with 20 minutes or so of Jomtien (depending how far down the beach one was to stay) comes out on top IMO. These are Pattaya Memorial, Pattaya International, and Bangkok-Pattaya Hospital.

As for banks and serviced-apartments, both places offer these services so it's a wash. So overall, for the op's needs, Jomtien would likely be the better choice; especially so if this was one's first trip to Thailand.

Edited by FarangBuddha

All 3 questions are fine for both locations.

The sea is a bit cleaner in Kata/Karon, but also more dangerous in terms of tides and weather etc.

Jomtien has a lot less rainfall, and less wind. Jomtien is quite a bit cheaper, in many respects.

1) There are plenty of minimarkets in Kata/Karon, a Lotus Express and Big One in Kata. In neighboring Chalong we have a Villa Market for all your home food needs. Serviced apartments are available month by month.

The op states he likes to cook and therefore, I assume he needs/wants a pretty well stocked kitchen...both raw food [fruits, veggies, meats, dairy, and spices]. I don't think the little mini-marts and 7-11s/Family Marts found in and around Karon/Kata are what he has in mind. And the the Villa Market in "neighboring" Chalong is hardly convenient...it's at least a 20-30 minute drive over a mountain or around the southern-tip of the island (That's an hour return.). This would be especially true if the op didn't have his own car and had to rely on the Phuket tuk-tuk mafia to make these trips. The other option would the the Carrefour [now Big C] in Patong; and again over several mountains from Kata/Karon and you're at the mercy of the tuk-tuks.

Whereas in Jomtien, you're about a 10 minute drive/ride from either the Lotus or the Big C shopping centers at Sukhumvit Road. You are also only a 20 minute or so drive away from Carrefour on Central Road or any of 3-4 full-service supermarkets in Pattaya proper [not local mini-marts - I am leaving out the Food Mart at the foot of Thepraya Road because of it's limited selection but it too would be much better than any mini-mart in Karon\Kata], e.g., Friendship Market, Villa Market Avenue, Central Gourmet Market Central Beach, and Foodland. Of course, all these markets are also accessible by baht-bus at non-extortionate rates. So on this score, Jomtien dumps all over on Karon/Kata.

As for friendliness, as you say, this is very subjective. I will grant you that if you are looking for fewer drunks and sex-tourists [note I said fewer...but not by much] or at least a better class of both, then you may prefer Kata/Karon over Jomtien.

As for medical care, all the hospitals you cite, like the grocery stores, are a long ways away in an emergency and to get to them from Karon/Kata requires trave over narrow mountain and country roads and therefore are subject to delays in an emergency. The only full-service hospitals that I'm aware of on Phuket are either in Phuket Town or the area near the center of the island near the Lotus/Central malls. These are 30-40 minutes drives from the Karon/Kata area. Again, Pattaya with 3 main hospitals all with 20 minutes or so of Jomtien (depending how far down the beach one was to stay) comes out on top IMO. These are Pattaya Memorial, Pattaya International, and Bangkok-Pattaya Hospital.

As for banks and serviced-apartments, both places offer these services so it's a wash. So overall, for the op's needs, Jomtien would likely be the better choice; especially so if this was one's first trip to Thailand.

hehehehe

the road over the 150 meters high "mountain" is dual lane 24 meters wide, and speed is 50-80 kmh. Dual lane all the way to town.

Brings you to Chalong and Villa Market in less than 10 minutes (public bus available every hour), and to town and all the hospitals in 20 minutes. Bangkok Hospital Phuket and Phuket International Hospital provides excellent health care. Ambulances usually on stand by in Kata. Carrefour 12 minutes away, but no public bus tho.

Fresh Market in Kata every day, but larger on Mondays and Thursdays, so better selection those days

More foreigners living part time or full time in Kata than registered Thai population, so should be easy to make friends from both camps

Month to month rentals easy to find, studios or pool villas. Poolside apartments from 15.000 baht

Kata Beach unbeatable with its clear water, lack of high raises, cars, shophouses.

Restaurants in all variations, from 40 baht noodle stalls to Mom Tris Boathouse with its famous winecellar

Sounds to me like FarangBuddha just prefers Pattaya over Phuket or hasn't been in Phuket in a long time.

20-30 minute drive over a mountain road, that's a joke..............

If you like the beach Phuket thwacks Pattaya bigtime, the rest is all here OP, and in Kata you have quite the large local market, don't necessarily have to always give your bahts to the big corporations.

Not really 'gilding the lilly', just stating the facts.

I did mention the Lotus Express in Kata, and there is a big fresh food market every day.

You talk about ' the mountain' road as if it was some sort of narrow slow road. it is in fact a high speed 4 lane highway from Kata to Phuket Town. And no way is it 30 - 40 minutes drive. I state 20 minutes as average, and I often do that quicker. And Chalong is much less than 10 minutes drive.

If I am 'gilding the lilly' then I would say that you are distorting the true facts.

And I did not even get into 'promoting' Phuket Island, such as the beautiful beaches and quality water at Kata/Karon. The varied scenery, ease of international flights ....

Somjit Market on Patak Road, near the intersection with Kata Road, is a largish, permanent, covered market that sells all the fresh veg, meat, fish, household hardware, liquor, etc, one would need for self catering on a daily basis.

No need to travel to the bigger supermarkets unless specific items are required.

Edited by Old Croc

The op states he likes to cook and therefore, I assume he needs/wants a pretty well stocked kitchen...both raw food [fruits, veggies, meats, dairy, and spices]. I don't think the little mini-marts and 7-11s/Family Marts found in and around Karon/Kata are what he has in mind. And the the Villa Market in "neighboring" Chalong is hardly convenient...it's at least a 20-30 minute drive over a mountain or around the southern-tip of the island (That's an hour return.).

But the daily fresh food market in Kata solves all this.

Somjit Market on Patak Road, near the intersection with Kata Road, is a largish, permanent, covered market that sells all the fresh veg, meat, fish, household hardware, liquor, etc, one would need for self catering on a daily basis.

No need to travel to the bigger supermarkets unless specific items are required.

post-18822-0-78150100-1294463641_thumb.j

OP, I'm from the beach in California too, and have a suggestion for you.

Come on over on a two week vacation, spend one week in Kata/Karon and one week in Pattaya and decide for yourself.

It's been a long time since we had a TV "pissup", give us all a headsup when you come over, we'll organize a TV get together and have some drinks.

The op states he likes to cook and therefore, I assume he needs/wants a pretty well stocked kitchen...both raw food [fruits, veggies, meats, dairy, and spices]. I don't think the little mini-marts and 7-11s/Family Marts found in and around Karon/Kata are what he has in mind. And the the Villa Market in "neighboring" Chalong is hardly convenient...it's at least a 20-30 minute drive over a mountain or around the southern-tip of the island (That's an hour return.).

But the daily fresh food market in Kata solves all this.

except for japanese or OZ beef, french and italian cheeses, italian Chiroz and parma, good wine selection and all kinds of imported delis. Villa Market 10 minutes away :D

OP, I'm from the beach in California too, and have a suggestion for you.

Come on over on a two week vacation, spend one week in Kata/Karon and one week in Pattaya and decide for yourself.

It's been a long time since we had a TV "pissup", give us all a headsup when you come over, we'll organize a TV get together and have some drinks.

This is a partially reasonable suggestion except for 2 points;

1) The OP mentioned Kata and Jomtien. He did not mention Patong and Pattaya.

2) The OP will need nearly a week to get over the jetlag, and not be in a position to decide. I would therefore suggest 3 weeks minimum. 1 week to recover, followed by 2 weeks in each location, making a total of 5 weeks, would allow a better evaluation.

>>Villa Market in "neighboring" Chalong is hardly convenient

Kata to villa market is 10 minutes max, unless you're walking.

Sounds like FarangBuddha lives on an entirely different Phuket than the rest of us. Around the southern tip? An hour return? :ermm: I would say more like 5 minutes. 4 if I am on the Ninja. :) It's just over the hill.

You'll probably get the Pattaya people touting Pattaya and the Phuket people touting Phuket. I am also a California beachboy and I have enjoyed Kata on and off for nearly a decade now. It has grown a lot and has more a touristy feel, but it's still not nearly as "bad" as Patong or Pattaya in that respect. Every time I am in Pattaya I want to get back to Phuket as soon as possible. Quite a few more comforts of home here now. When I first moved to Kata I would never have imagined getting KFC or The Pizza Company delivered to my house is Kata. It was a 30 minute drive to Patong or Phuket Town.

Edited by ScubaBuddha

You talk about ' the mountain' road as if it was some sort of narrow slow road. it is in fact a high speed 4 lane highway from Kata to Phuket Town. And no way is it 30 - 40 minutes drive. I state 20 minutes as average, and I often do that quicker. And Chalong is much less than 10 minutes drive.

If that's the case, then I stand corrected. The last time I was in the Kata/Karon area maybe 2 years ago, it was still a two-lane road going over the mountain and many a time I was stuck behind a bus or truck and it was slow going. Congrats on entering the 4-lane era :lol:

Stand by my comments re the breath and quality of the markets and hospitals in Pattaya vs. Kata/Karon however. Both places are nice and similar in that they are beach resort towns. However, Kata/Karon is more scenic, with some elevations, while Jomtien has a more lively nitelife.

If that's the case, then I stand corrected. The last time I was in the Kata/Karon area maybe 2 years ago, it was still a two-lane road going over the mountain and many a time I was stuck behind a bus or truck and it was slow going. Congrats on entering the 4-lane era :lol:

Stand by my comments re the breath and quality of the markets and hospitals in Pattaya vs. Kata/Karon however. Both places are nice and similar in that they are beach resort towns. However, Kata/Karon is more scenic, with some elevations, while Jomtien has a more lively nitelife.

Been to Phuket International Hospital or Bangkok International Hospital Phuket past couple of years? Both 15-20 minutes from Kata with a car, faster with one of the Kata stand by ambulances. The other private and public hospitals in town are within same distance, yepp approx 12 km.

Been to Phuket International Hospital or Bangkok International Hospital Phuket past couple of years? Both 15-20 minutes from Kata with a car, faster with one of the Kata stand by ambulances. The other private and public hospitals in town are within same distance, yepp approx 12 km.

My Google Maps shows the driving route from Kata Beach to Phuket Int. Hosp. to be 16 kms [1/3 longer than your estimate] with a drive time of 20 minutes (these estimates are usually very optimistic). Any beef with this info...take it up with Google ;)

The road is 4-lane now, but speed has hardly increased. It was a short ride then and it is a short ride now.

But do agree with your final comments, Kata/Karon is more scenic and Jomtien has a more lively nightlife.

Thanks to all for the good info. Now I have something to check out when I am over there.

The big issue for me is transportation. I hate taking taxis under the best of circumstances, and I have heard so any horror stories about the taxis/tuk-tuks in Phuket that I didn't even bother to go there when I was in Thailand a couple of months ago. Driving in Thailand? I don't think so - I once took a motorcycle taxi in Bangkok, weaving along a soi, no clue as to what was around the corner. If something HAD been coming around the corner, the driver and I both would have been roadkill. I don't know why the tourist industry in Phuket can't do something about the dishonest taxi situation there - I think it is costing them big bucks, because it has become so well known even here here in California. I loved the baht buses in the Pattaya area.

As for the beach, I live a few blocks from, in my opinion, some of the best beaches in the world here in San Diego, and very clean, I just wish the water was not so <deleted>' COLD. What we don't have is the nice warm mornings/evenings for a walk on the beach, massages on the beach, beer on the beach (now banned in San Diego)etc. So that is probably what I am looking for in a beach.

The market at Somjin looks really good - I will check that out.

Thanks GOM, a good chat with some tv'ers sounds good when I am there. After a few beers, I will find out what it is REALLY like in K/K.

As others are echo'ing.. Karon and especially Kata are far more scenic IMO, they have superior beaches, and heading south from there its attractive, while it may not have everything on your doorstep (a mega mall) it has most for day to day life within semi easy reach.

Jomtien I have less experience of, but will have far more amenities at a cost of being far less attractive. I also think its probably a bit cheaper too. Jomtien has Patts close by for nightlife which is mirrored by Patong on hand and those would be personal preferences, Patts far more full on, Tong a bit higher end in some ways.

The only stand out is you not wishing to be a bike rider, Phuket without wheels is much less appealing to get around and make the most of, and public transport in Jomtien / Patts is much easier for the non self propelled.

Rather than look at Kata/Karon, head over to Kamala or Bangtao.

both KK's are heavily touristy and before there were tourist neither place was there so many of the Thai's you will find there do not come form Phuket.

Kamala and BangTao have been here hundreds of years and the locals are indeed locals.

The three hospitals are as far from Kamala/BangTao as the two K's although Kamala one needs to travel thru Patong to go to Phuket town I prefer travelling these roads than Chao Fa which tends to be clogged up most of the day and into the night. The trip tocentral form both is 30 minutes. Carrfour in Patong is a good place to shop and much cheaper than Villa

Both have lotus and 7/11's and twice weekly fresh markets. Both have a samll group of rests and easy palces to shop for fresh food and both are greta palces to live. Rents run from 12,000 and up for a 2 bedroom place

vs Jomtien.. u cant really compare as Phuket is Phuket and will always be an island mentality sort of place while Pattaya is......

Phuket it helps to have ur own transport, ( i'd rather walk thta give a tujk tiuk my business) but that is easy enough with bikes renting for 3,000 baht/month

Thanks to all for the good info. Now I have something to check out when I am over there.

The big issue for me is transportation. I hate taking taxis under the best of circumstances, and I have heard so any horror stories about the taxis/tuk-tuks in Phuket that I didn't even bother to go there when I was in Thailand a couple of months ago. Driving in Thailand? I don't think so - I once took a motorcycle taxi in Bangkok, weaving along a soi, no clue as to what was around the corner. If something HAD been coming around the corner, the driver and I both would have been roadkill. I don't know why the tourist industry in Phuket can't do something about the dishonest taxi situation there - I think it is costing them big bucks, because it has become so well known even here here in California. I loved the baht buses in the Pattaya area.

As for the beach, I live a few blocks from, in my opinion, some of the best beaches in the world here in San Diego, and very clean, I just wish the water was not so <deleted>' COLD. What we don't have is the nice warm mornings/evenings for a walk on the beach, massages on the beach, beer on the beach (now banned in San Diego)etc. So that is probably what I am looking for in a beach.

Thanks GOM, a good chat with some tv'ers sounds good when I am there. After a few beers, I will find out what it is REALLY like in K/K.

Living in central Kata and going to Villa Market once a week with public bus, how much transportation do you need? Within a couple of weeks you have hooked up with a couple of private taxis charging one thousand baht for half a day, to cover your needs.

Living in central Kata and going to Villa Market once a week with public bus, how much transportation do you need? Within a couple of weeks you have hooked up with a couple of private taxis charging one thousand baht for half a day, to cover your needs.

But then you miss out on so much..

A slide to Nai Harn to do a surf check.. A snorkel at Ao Sane.. A sunset drink at the reggae bar on the hill.. A rawai seafood BBQ on the sand.. Checking out the new clubs in Tong.. Etc Etc Etc.. Hell even getting from Kata Noi to Karon is not a short hike.

To put the islands transport issues down as 'well you dont need it' just sell the island short. And if hes adamant he doesnt want to ride a scooter then its a valid issue in that you appreciate so much less of what the island has to offer.

i've travelled thailand a lot and have been to jomtien for a week last year.

in my opinion there is absolutley no comparison between jomtien and kata beach...jom. is just a laidback version of the human rubbish dump known as pattaya which is just over the hill....jom. beach full of rubbish, not that good for swimming and is unsafe after dark as the katoeys lurk in the shadows waitng to ??? you.

kata beach is cruisey, laidback, clean, has lots of good little restaurants,great beach and it just goes on....in fact, kata beach and chiang mai the north are my two favourite parts of thailand.

if you're hanging out in kata you can pay 500bht and go over the hill to patong beach and party your heart out in the go-go bars etc...but patong is like manhattan in comparison to the downtown harlem/detroit of pattaya.

go to phuket/kata...you defintiely won't regret it....i know these things..enjoy it.

it's no accident that Club Med have chosen to locate their Thai resort on Kata Beach...

But then you miss out on so much..

A slide to Nai Harn to do a surf check.. A snorkel at Ao Sane.. A sunset drink at the reggae bar on the hill.. A rawai seafood BBQ on the sand.. Checking out the new clubs in Tong.. Etc Etc Etc.. Hell even getting from Kata Noi to Karon is not a short hike.

To put the islands transport issues down as 'well you dont need it' just sell the island short. And if hes adamant he doesnt want to ride a scooter then its a valid issue in that you appreciate so much less of what the island has to offer.

Thats exactly why you want to hook up with some of the private taxis if you dont want to drive yourself. 200 baht within Kata, 400 to Patong, 1000 baht for half day.