Land Of Smiles? Have I Landed In The Wrong Country?

greytown

First time in Thailand. Been here about a month. So far it seem the Thais are every bit as miserable as the folks back home in the West. Am I way off here or am I missing something? I should say the few Thais I met in the past back in the West were easily among the most pleasant people I ever met. What gives?

Edited by greytown

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Which part of Thailand are you in? Any examples?

Thais are, I think, generally pleasant, friendly and helpful people, and do well reflect the "Land of Smiles" label. Many of the Thais that are attracted to the heavily tourist areas, however, are highly money motivated, are generally not friendly or nice (there are, of course, exceptions) and will scam or rob you (you are nothing more than a walking ATM to them) at the first opportunity (the lady boys probably epitomize this attitude and approach more than anyone else -- really nasty people). Thailand, like other countries, is not comprised of a homogeneous population -- there are good and bad people here, like everywhere else. So, as you travel about Thailand, keep your eyes and mind open, you will see and meet many people that really do make Thailand the Land of Smiles -- focus your time and attention on them. Choke dee, krap.

"Not true, you are not thai you cannot understand" , if you pay attention, you will actually hear them smile, well, better say laugh, as soon as you turn your back to them with many comments added to the "smiles" , which basically states how silly you have been to let them take all of your money or how bad have you been to not to let them to do it :lol:

Suprised none of the Thai apologists have jumped in and said "if you don't like it leave"....:whistling:

I'm more inclined to say for those Thais who don't smile 24/7 lock them up and throw away the key.

Generally speaking, I'd say that Thais are still very friendly people, but the difference to falangland seemingly diminished in the past ten years. The Thai culture seems to slowly vaporize as the world keeps shrinking (not literally, Sherlock, medias like the internet bring us all closer together <_< ).

I do regret the almost complete abolition of the Wai and many other typical Thai traditions, and the famous Smile is certainly on the list of endangered spec[ie]s, also.

Still love the place though :jap:

try smiling first

and like someone else posted, get out of the tourist spots

i was once informed that it is actually rude in thailand to not return a smile,

perhaps that is old school but a darn good old school IMHO

certainly learning how to saw sawadee krap properly will open many a door

they way they return it or smile back is like a reflex, knee jerk, habit

i love it!!!

i was also informed that no one trusts people in bangkok perhaps true of pattaya too

but there are still many pockets of genuine thais everywhere

EVERYWHERE!!!

perhaps i will open a thread on why i love thai people in general

its a super mellow culture

ok bash me for saying that, but then please go back to your farang land :P

what other cultures come close???

i would really like to know

also topic for another thread perhaps

Edited by deejah

try smiling first

The truth is in general that Thailand has gotten much more sour in recent years. There are lots of factors, many of them political and economic in nature which is obvious if you follow the news. Edited by Jingthing

try smiling first

The truth is in general that Thailand has gotten much more sour in recent years. There are lots of factors, many of them political and economic in nature which is obvious if you follow the news.

probably true not only in thailand

and i am afraid it may only get worse, everywhere

that's why we should be vigilant

and carry/protect/keep the flame alive

might sound flaky or idealistic but if I/you/we dont do it who will? :guitar:

If you look at it from a Thais perspective they really don't have a great deal to smile about right now. The economy is shot to shit, they are at odds with Cambodian and thier foriegn policies, and the country is all but split into two . Alot of uncertainty lay ahead for them to be worried about. So I guess it aint all beer and skittles right now if you are a Thai. :(

I'm smiling as I read this, and I'm not even Thai.

Let's face it, if you need someone else's smile, then you're starting off on the wrong foot.

I always keep a spare smile that I can give to anyone that left their own at home. And invariably I get plenty back; sometimes I'm not sure if maybe I give away a smile I'd been given earlier in the day...

SC

Edit: I just got back a cracker of a smile that cheered me up no end. I expect now she's off to phone the police, or get her boyfriend to come round and give me akicking.

Edited by StreetCowboy

If you look at it from a Thais perspective they really don't have a great deal to smile about right now. The economy is shot to shit, they are at odds with Cambodian and thier foriegn policies, and the country is all but split into two . Alot of uncertainty lay ahead for them to be worried about. So I guess it aint all beer and skittles right now if you are a Thai. :(

Is it?

Because there's an awful lot of brand new everything even up here in the sticks from scooters to trucks to SUV's to brand new Mercs, big ones and lots of 'em! Home Shop/Global/Tesco/Makro stocked to the ceiling and very busy. And the is Roi-Et!!! :blink:

The Thai smile disappeared down the pan some years ago and was replaced by jealousy and greed.

Watch a couple of Thai soaps on Thai TV and see the real Thailand.

Those have me and my New Yorker neighbour in absolute stitches . . . and yet rather concerned all at the same time, a mix of emotions.

Is it?

Because there's an awful lot of brand new everything even up here in the sticks from scooters to trucks to SUV's to brand new Mercs, big ones and lots of 'em! Home Shop/Global/Tesco/Makro stocked to the ceiling and very busy. And the is Roi-Et!!! :blink:

The Thai economy is doing great. But those who are involved with the tourism part of the economy are doing bad. Otherwise, the economy is growing quite nicely.

As for the Cambodians and crazy politics...what's new about this? :o

Is it?

The Thai economy is doing great. But those who are involved with the tourism part of the economy are doing bad. Otherwise, the economy is growing quite nicely.

As for the Cambodians and crazy politics...what's new about this? :o

Well I know it must be doing great when mother-in-law bought new 'Welcome' mats for her house. This old village road, once of shanty shacks now looks like millionaires row, I kid you not!

Well I know it must be doing great when mother-in-law bought new 'Welcome' mats for her house. This old village road, once of shanty shacks now looks like millionaires row, I kid you not!

That might be why there arent as many smiles as before, theyre all up to their neck in debt paying for crap they can barely afford.

The Thai smile disappeared down the pan some years ago and was replaced by jealousy and greed.

Watch a couple of Thai soaps on Thai TV and see the real Thailand.

" Watch a couple of Thai soaps to see the real Thailand " You are having a laugh. :bah:

Edited by coma