Original Passport And Work Permit?

Herbs

Our household goods have been shipped from the UK. The guy from the port has informed us that he wants my passport and work permit to clear the things through customs.

He will not accept copies and does not simply want to see them but have the documents with him on the day that the ship arrives.

This all seems a bit odd to me. I will not post him the documents and, as we live in Hua Hin, it seems that my only option is to go to the port on a specific day next week.

Has anyone else had experience of this? Shouldn't the guy simply accept faxed copies? Help would be much appreciated very soon.

Cheers,

Herbs

Edited by Herbs

Yes, they needed my original passport too when clearing the personal effects shipped from Japan at the customs. I had the messenger from frowarding agent come pick up my passport (I didn't have a work permit back then). It's up to you how you deliver the passport and work permit but I believe they need the original document to clear it through the customs and no copies accepted.

The purpose is to make certain you haven't taken an exemption or allowance with respect to duty on a prior shipment of household effects (which would be marked somewhere in your passport). The normal procedure for handling your passport is exactly as described by the last poster.