10 Years After

swissie

I tip my hat to the OP as he made sure that everything was done fairly.

Done "fairly", my ass. When you marry a woman and take her away from her children, you assume some responsibility for her dependants -- that should be obvious. I am not suggesting that he has a responsibility to take care of her entire family, but he does have a responsibility to help support her kids, regardless of the fact that they are from a previous relationship -- that commitmenit and the acceptance of that responsibility should have been a part of the decision to marry her. The education that the wife's two chilren received on only her income (working in a bakery!) after she handed over enough to the OP to cover half of the living expenses could not have been as good as it might/would have been had he helped with their support (it probably wasn't even adequate, but why should he care, right?). Be as cheap as you want, but not with children's education. You have a very warped idea of "fair", as obviously does the OP (or more likely he doesn't care if he is being fair or not).

Sigh... BTW, like your board name, sounds cool.

Back to business.

Where-o-where does it say that the wife was forced to fall in love (I presume she fell in love) with the guy and presumably no one held a guy to her head at the wedding. Why shouldn't she put in an honest day's work for and honest day's pay. Why shouldn't she be able, with her own income, send money home to take care of her kids. Any woman getting married does not get an automatic pass to sit on her backside and watch her spouse work while she and her family reaps the benefits. Maybe the guy was of modest income and was not able to provide all those things and the best way to end the discussion, and keep his assets, was to tell her that it was not going to happen. Of course if the guy is loaded, then maybe he wants his wife to stay home and he wants to provide for the people back home.

Sometimes, not always, and I don't even like to think like this, but I think that some gentlemen have been bamboozled into believing that marrying a Thai woman means that you are responsible for supporting her and all under her field of vision. That is insane. Plenty of Thai women want to work and feel the pride of providing somethings for themselves.

I think that some people are stuck in the 1950's (I am referring to the US when, during those days it seemed like the perfect marriage was one of the man working and the woman taking care of the domestic duties). Get your woman into the working world. It helps to provide a good example for her kids (if she has any), builds character and it shows that everyone needs to pull their own weight and contribute to the household.

Keep her working and busy as idle hands are the devil's workshop.

TheWalkingMan

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, I think it's much more difficult for a Thai woman to find a decent farang amongst the millions of farangs that choose to come to Thailand.

Most come here for sea sun and sex, pure self gratification, try finding a diamond amongst that lot !

From what I see in Thai/Farang relationships, the Thai women usually ends up with someone she would rather not be with and is only with him because she's poor, and he gets a slave and kids himself that she loves him for what he is, not for what he has.

Though I'm sure you fine posters here are different. huh.gif

Spot on, except your last sentence.:whistling:

In the community where I live their are many, many decent Thai wives who have to put up with less than faithful drunks farang husbands.:o

Yermanee

Yes, but where did these 'decent Thai wives' meet their 'less than faithful/drunk' husbands?

I see many posts asking 'well, what did you expect?' when some guy complains about his less than faithful/money grubbing ex bar girl wife, but the obverse stands surely? I've heard many barkeeps' Thai wives complain about their womanizing drunkard husbands and have asked them the same. 'Well, where did you meet him? (a bar), and then, 'Well, what did you expect?'

I tip my hat to the OP as he made sure that everything was done fairly.

Done "fairly", my ass. When you marry a woman and take her away from her children, you assume some responsibility for her dependants -- that should be obvious. I am not suggesting that he has a responsibility to take care of her entire family, but he does have a responsibility to help support her kids, regardless of the fact that they are from a previous relationship -- that commitmenit and the acceptance of that responsibility should have been a part of the decision to marry her. The education that the wife's two chilren received on only her income (working in a bakery!) after she handed over enough to the OP to cover half of the living expenses could not have been as good as it might/would have been had he helped with their support (it probably wasn't even adequate, but why should he care, right?). Be as cheap as you want, but not with children's education. You have a very warped idea of "fair", as obviously does the OP (or more likely he doesn't care if he is being fair or not).

The woman didn't HAVE to leave her children, unless she put money before her children. Pretty rare in the West, but common here.

It was down to the FATHER to pay for their childrens' education etc. - not the poster, who gave his wife the chance to earn (comparatively) good money in a foreign country, with a windfall payout once he dies.

If only more farangs were as sensible we wouldn't keep hearing the horror stories....

He was lucky enough to find a wife that was prepared to accept having no word in decision-making, knowing that she was far better-off than she would be otherwise and will 'win' in the end....

Edited by F1fanatic

What have the Swiss done wrong that make nearly all of you coming with demeaning comment against him? He marries a divorced Thai woman with children from a previous marriage and an ex Thai husband who run away from his responsibilities. The Swiss give her opportunity to a new start in a country with high standard of living and a possibility to make real money for herself and support her children which her ex runs away from. They live in Switzerland on the basis on any other Swiss on Swiss marriage. I.e. both contribute in the marriage and you folks give him the boot.

Turn it around; what life would she have here with an ex on the run (who show up now and then for whisky money) and two children to take care of! Work in a bakery for 200 Baht a day and marry another local?

Shame on yours :realangry:

I guess both are happy together. It may be hard for some here, but it looks like its possible to be married to a Thai woman without building a house for her and sending money to her family.

Minimal (unofficial) wages in Switzerland are between 60- to 90`000 Baht a month (2-3`000 CHF). Enough to help her children. It is also usual in Switzerland to share living costs if both partners are working. Nothing wrong with that. And as many here adapt to Thai rules and traditions, because they are living in Thailand, she did adapt to Swiss rules and tradition.

So a well done to the OP and I hope you both will have a long and happy life together.

I think many are jumping on the OP since he is basically trying to be smug and at the same time is seemingly being proud over that fact that he refuse to take responsibility for the full close family (daughters) and set up fairly low budget-limits regarding house and land...

Only thing I can say, don't jump on the OP, take comfort in knowing that if the lady was a looker she wouldn't be with him. You know it, don't deny it.

So after 10 years of marraige to a skingy guy who didnt have the decency to even help her out with her kids, who incidently you left in Thailand

you offer her about 5000 Euros.

Deep inside she resents you buster! thats for sure.

Oh and a message to you you sanctimonious tip of a needle............

Wherever a girl comes from or what she has done to survive dont relate

to the quality of person she is and there are many ex-bargirls that i know of

that make beautiful wives and partners , and many even care for their

husbands kids from a previous marraige(UNLIKE YOU)!!

You understand little of Thailand so better you keep your assets

in Swiss..... even better, stay there yourself Richard Head!

What a load of B.S

Why should the OP help out with anything for her Kids ? They are nothing to do with him and he doesnt have to do anything . I would never help raise some elses kids ( unless they were related to me by blood ) . I have a kid and i would never expect anyone else to provide for them.

As for understanding Thailand he doesnt need to he lives in Europe.

I am willing to guess you support your wifes family.. all her ' brothers ' her sisters Mum Dad and the whole village... wake up not everyone is that scared of losing there woman that they have to pay to keep her. If the OPs Wife doesnt like what she has , she knows there the door is.

What an arse thing to say, apparently you never grew up with a step parent. What if the girls ex husband had died? Even if he didn't I hope no child ever has to put up with someone like you...I feel sorry for your child, hope he grows up to be a better person than his father.

I think many are jumping on the OP since he is basically trying to be smug and at the same time is seemingly being proud over that fact that he refuse to take responsibility for the full close family (daughters) and set up fairly low budget-limits regarding house and land...

Agreed, that was my impression when I read the OP's post originally... but he never came back to answer the question whether he had paid Sin sot...:rolleyes:

Being the OP, I would like to state: "the walking man, F1 fanatic, Felt 35 & Chdiver" have gotten the drift of my post. A few things I would like to add:

- I lived with my wife over 1 year in Thailand before marriage.

- That she would financially support her kids and pay her share for living expenses was agreed upon before marriage. (Btw: both daughters have now their University-Degree.) The "real" Daddy (a Police-Officer) never paid a single Dime for his daughters.

- No, I never paid any "Sin-Sod". No Thai-man would consider paying sin-sod for a previously married woman. So why should a "Farang" ??

- From the beginning

Being the OP, I would like to state: "the walking man, F1 fanatic, Felt 35 & Chdiver" have gotten the drift of my post. A few things I would like to add:

- That she would financially support her kids and pay her share for living expenses was agreed upon before marriage. (Btw: both daughters have now their University-Degree.) The "real" Daddy (a Police-Officer) never paid a single Dime for his daughters.

- No, I never paid any "Sin-Sod". No Thai-man would consider paying sin-sod for a previously married woman. So why should a "Farang" ??

- From the beginning I wanted to make sure that I would not have to join the club of Faragns that (while crying in their pretzels) muttering something like "I made the mistake of my life and how am I gonna get out of this without losing my shirt" (if not already lost).

- As to the modest life-style we are considering in Thailand: We like it that way. We like Rural-Thai-Living. To live in a Condo in a Tourist-Hub simply does not appeal to us.

- We had a good 10 years together. That we agreed on a mutual pathway (including finances and this before marriage) was definitely a contributing factor to this little success-story.

Cheers.

PS: Don't get me wrong. I have nothing personal against Farangs, that are willing to put up half of their assets and basically their future well-beeing to marry their 3-month Bar-Aquaintance. What irritates me ist just the whining around afterwards: "How could she do this to me, since I have given her everything !!!????!!!"

- From the beginning I wanted to make sure that I would not have to join the club of Faragns that (while crying in their pretzels) muttering something like "I made the mistake of my life and how am I gonna get out of this without losing my shirt" (if not already lost).

- As to the modest life-style we are considering in Thailand: We like it that way. We like Rural-Thai-Living. To live in a Condo in a Tourist-Hub simply does not appeal to us.

- We had a good 10 years together. That we agreed on a mutual pathway (including finances and this before marriage) was definitely a contributing factor to this little success-story.

Cheers.

PS: Don't get me wrong. I have nothing personal against Farangs, that are willing to put up half of their assets and basically their future well-beeing to marry their 3-month Bar-Aquaintance. What irritates me ist just the whining around afterwards: "How could she do this to me, since I have given her everything !!!????!!!"

Not an unfair comment.

Cheers.

Not an unfair comment.

She was desperate and had to agree to these conditions.He got himself the perfect slave.

Cheers.

Re Sin Sod....Previously married women do sometimes ask for and get Sin Sod not just from farangs but from Thais as well. It is not as clear cut as you seem to think.

If your wife is/was happy with all the arrangements you made good for you but we only have your side of the story and not hers.

The main problem i have with your original post is that you seem to be bragging about how you never contributed anything more than 50 percent financially to the relationship and that anyone that does is a fool.

Given that in most Farang/Thai reltationships there is a big difference in the net wealth and earning potential between the parties it would seem logical to most people that the one with the larger wealth would share some of that with the one they love?

That doesn't have to mean risking all your finances but it does mean taking a greater burden of the financial costs because you can afford it and you want your partner to live a better life.

Edited by Tolley

Cheers.

Re Sin Sod....Previously married women do sometimes ask for and get Sin Sod not just from farangs but from Thais as well. It is not as clear cut as you seem to think.

If your wife is/was happy with all the arrangements you made good for you but we only have your side of the story and not hers.

The main problem i have with your original post is that you seem to be bragging about how you never contributed anything more than 50 percent financially to the relationship and that anyone that does is a fool.

Given that in most Farang/Thai reltationships there is a big difference in the net wealth and earning potential between the parties it would seem logical to most people that the one with the larger wealth would share some of that with the one they love?

That doesn't have to mean risking all your finances but it does mean taking a greater burden of the financial costs because you can afford it and you want your partner to live a better life.

I had never heard this before until a couple of weeks ago when a Thai man I know informed me that he was being hit for a small sin sod for his divorced fiancee. I was very surprised as I had always understood that once married the second time round no sin sod was required. You learn something new all the time. :)

A pearl?

My wife is a pearl because she gave away 10 of her years with me (the cheapo).

Not a pearl, but either desperate, stupid, or very cleaver (patiently waiting for the right moment).

Would be an interesting exercise if one met a single mother back home in the west, move in together, then get married, but of course making her know that one would not have anything to do with her children.

Well said. I can't imagine anyone who would criticize a guy for helping to raise his wife's kids from another man. Just seems like the decent thing to do. Well, I guess there are "some" TV posters who would find this to be tantamount to burning your money. Go figure.

So after 10 years of marraige to a skingy guy who didnt have the decency to even help her out with her kids, who incidently you left in Thailand

Well saidjap.gif

- We had a good 10 years together.

Congratulation, who cares what others say, this is the most important thing in life and you got it

That we agreed on a mutual pathway (including finances and this before marriage) was definitely a contributing factor to this little success-story.

No wonder you got so many angry replies

"Jealousy is the tribute mediocrity pays to genius" Fulton J. Sheen

Congratulation, who cares what others say, this is the most important thing in life and you got it

That we agreed on a mutual pathway (including finances and this before marriage) was definitely a contributing factor to this little success-story.

He certainly had 10 good years but what about her and maybe she had to agree because she was desperate a very onesided story.

He certainly had 10 good years but what about her and maybe she had to agree because she was desperate a very onesided story.

Why do you assume the worst ?

A friend of us left a very good career prospect to follow her husband, a shop keeper in Sydney. It's a small family shop, they don't make much. When business is not so good, she takes a part time job, usually with Thai Airways, she has good relation there. They have two kids and they are probably the most happy couple I know. Happiness is not about money.

hmmm... the stingy Swissie is a genius and those who disapprove of his deplorable behaviour are jealous?

av-11672.gif

What a load of B.S

Why should the OP help out with anything for her Kids ? They are nothing to do with him and he doesnt have to do anything . I would never help raise some elses kids ( unless they were related to me by blood ) . I have a kid and i would never expect anyone else to provide for them.

As for understanding Thailand he doesnt need to he lives in Europe.

I am willing to guess you support your wifes family.. all her ' brothers ' her sisters Mum Dad and the whole village... wake up not everyone is that scared of losing there woman that they have to pay to keep her. If the OPs Wife doesnt like what she has , she knows there the door is.

Why help out with the kids? becuase of the love he has for his wife, love must exist as he felt the need to post about their history together. What happens if you are involved in an accident I'm sure you would want someone to take care of your child......

What have the Swiss done wrong that make nearly all of you coming with demeaning comment against him? He marries a divorced Thai woman with children from a previous marriage and an ex Thai husband who run away from his responsibilities. The Swiss give her opportunity to a new start in a country with high standard of living and a possibility to make real money for herself and support her children which her ex runs away from. They live in Switzerland on the basis on any other Swiss on Swiss marriage. I.e. both contribute in the marriage and you folks give him the boot.

Turn it around; what life would she have here with an ex on the run (who show up now and then for whisky money) and two children to take care of! Work in a bakery for 200 Baht a day and marry another local?

Shame on yours :realangry:

ok, let me see if I understand your post correctly -- what the OP has done with his Thai wife is "the basis on any other Swiss on Swiss marriage. I.e. both contribute in the marriage". So, according to you, a Swiss man meets and marries a divorced Swiss woman with children from a previous relationship, and she will move in with him and boot her children off to relatives. They (Swiss husband and wife) will both work, but she will give enough of her earnings to her scumbag husband to pay half of their living expenses and then send enough (the rest) to the relatives keeping her kids to pay for their support. At the end of ten years, she has "0" saved, and he has enough to keep in Swiss banks and spend squat (not because they "agreed", but because he is a "kee neow") on some land and a shack in Thailand. Is that how it works? I really think (actually, I am sure) it is not. I think it would go more like this: A Swiss man meets and marries a divorced Swiss woman with children from a previous relationship, She will move in with him along with her children and they will live as a family. The Swiss husband and wife will both work, and they will each share the living expenses of the family, including her (their) children (and their education), perhaps 50/50 or perhaps in a more equitable manner depending on their relative earnings. At the end of ten years, she will have saved "x" and he will have saved "y", and her "x" would probably be enough to buy a small parcel of land and build a house -- she would not have to beg him for it or accept what ever he is willing to dole out. Had the OP written the second version, I would have applauded him and said that both he and his wife are and got pearls. However, in the OP's story, he got a pearl but his wife got a lump of "kee".

Yes, you are kee niow, congratulations. I cant help but feel abit sorry for your wife truth be told.

Yeah that's what I was thinking, kinda cheap azz. But at least he was honest about being cheap. Also keep in mind his wife brought baggage to the table as well with 2 kids from another man. So all said and done, I think the OP and his wife both made out very well and are a excellent match. Good for them.

Furthermore he hit the nail on the head when he said their are no pearls to be found in the bg scene. Such plain and obvious wisdom that so many ignore.

No pearls in the bar..pearl necklaces maybe, but pearls no.

Precisely. His wife worked to help support her children - wow, how cheap could he be?

He offered her a life in a country where she was able to earn 'good' money - not something to be taken lightly in Thailand.

They were BOTH lucky, he found a wife that he would not find in his home country and she found a husband that gave her the opportunity that she would never have with a Thai husband in her sphere.

Made a trip to my embassy today to get a paper signed and saw several men of 'mediocre' quality with short plump girls (some young, some middle-age) in tow, often carrying and sorting/handling the papers...no lookers.

Not sure what the point is, but I guess the OP is happy getting someone to sleep next to and she was hopefully...also. But a looker is neither of them.

Cheers.

Not an unfair comment.

She was desperate and had to agree to these conditions.He got himself the perfect slave.

and you know all this from a post of around 100 words? you have a gift indeed.

Made a trip to my embassy today to get a paper signed and saw several men of 'mediocre' quality with short plump girls (some young, some middle-age) in tow, often carrying and sorting/handling the papers...no lookers.

Not sure what the point is, but I guess the OP is happy getting someone to sleep next to and she was hopefully...also. But a looker is neither of them.

What is a "looker" ?