Not Happy

andrew55

Its hardly ROCKET SCIENCE, I thought it would of been very clear what they needed to do.

Indeed ND, I know that, you know that, and I suspect so do most TV members, but we cannot really expect these officials to be actually be pro-active when carrying out their duties now can we?

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is a map of the departures level if the description above does not make sense.

The two immigration departure zones are the orange areas (west on the right side). Outside each are monitors showing live shots of the other;

Available at: http://www.bangkokai...ine.com/node/87 , which is the site I use to check if flights status.

I posted a few months back about the 'conga line' fiasco in the west (right-hand in the diagram) immigration hall. As a rule, regardless of what row I check in OR what gate the flight departs from, I avoid that west hall. Sure I may have to walk a few hundred meters further on either side of passport/security but beats missing planes IMHO.

Judging by the amount of officers manning the desks as reported in this thread, it appears the MOU doesn't take into account sleeping in, taking long lunches and extended tea breaks. Sounds as bad as inbound passport control at KLIA!

As far as I know, the CIP 'fast-track' lanes in and out are only accessible on certain classes on certain airlines and invariably with a special pass given out when checking in.

Point of note; my boss transited through Manila airport last Wednesday. He had a 3 hour transit between domestic and international and almost missed it. He said it was also a disaster area with long lines and what appeared to be hordes of migrant workers heading back to the mid-east after the hols. May explain why there's thousands jamming up the departures at Suvarnabhumi and bugger all coming in?!

Flew into LAX a few years ago The queues spilled out of the arrival hall and onto the tarmac. It took six hours to pass through immigration

Agree LAX is the worst airport I've arrived at, 1.5 hours queue off a flight from Honolulu, my bags had dsappeared from the carousel and there was nobody around that understood English and I don't speak Spanish.

Edited by PattayaParent

All is not lost, according to the Bangkok Post the powers that be at the airport are examining the problem, they are preparing a report which should be presented to a committee in about two weeks, the committee will then discuss and decide what to do.

I assume this is their fast track approach.

Worthy of Sir Humprey. :rolleyes:

I'm sure I have read somewhere on TV that if you are travelling with your Thai wife/husband you can use the line for Thai passports with them and not have to use the ones for foeign passports. Has anyone actually tried this?

I certainly have coming in, with my girlfriend asking first, but never going out.

I,m with the wife most times I travel in and out and always use the Thai Passport lane when I,m with her( I,m a Brit Passport holder).

I did see a lone westerner get rejected from the Thai Passport lane a week ago on the way in.

Not only that, it is now normal that you will get preference if you have a child with you, are pregnant or are an OAP. There is a roped off lane and a Thai official guiding people to it.

Went through there yesterday, very busy but took about 20 minutes in the Thai Passport lane.

Edited by soihok

Dear Owners of KingPower

I am a frequent traveller through Bangkok Airport. I would dearly like to spend large amounts of my money in your overpriced shopping complex .

Unfortunately I use up all of my available shopping time waiting in the immigration line, so I never have time to visit your shops.

It seems such a shame since you have invested so much money in these shops. Don't you think it would actually be more efficient to sponsor a few more immigration officers?

Yours faithfully

Was there ywsterday at about 17:00 dropping off my mother.The queue situation,whilst not snaking around outside,looked none too pretty nevertheless.Felt grateful to be heading back into town......

Flew out last Saturday 5pm and back in yesterday (Thurs) 6pm. Going out the queues were long but not out-the-door-crazy. We had arrived 3 hours early just in case. As it happened we ended up with plenty of time to have a leisurely lunch inside before our flight. Coming back most counters were staffed and all only had 2-3 people queued up. Wewere so quick we then had to wait 20 mins for our bags to come on the carousel.

I've got an outbound long haul at 08:30 on Monday morning, what time would anyone advise I arrive for check-in, presumably 06:00 will be the earliest?

Most check-in desks open 3 hours before departure. My last departure (January) was 08:25, I joined the immigration line at 06:40 and reached the desk at exactly 08:25. Luckily they held the flight as lots of people were in the same situation, but next time I'll give it the full 3 hours I think.

I've got an outbound long haul at 08:30 on Monday morning, what time would anyone advise I arrive for check-in, presumably 06:00 will be the earliest?

Unless you're willing to fork out for the Fast-Track option, it's best to be there the full three hours before departure. A friend just emailed he was among the first to check in when the counter opened at 5.30 am, but barely made an 8.30 am flight. He said it was total chaos inside and outside the Immigration Hall.

Evil

Unless you're willing to fork out for the Fast-Track option, it's best to be there the full three hours before departure. A friend just emailed he was among the first to check in when the counter opened at 5.30 am, but barely made an 8.30 am flight. He said it was total chaos inside and outside the Immigration Hall.

Evil

I'm afraid I'm flying economy hence no automatic fast track option, but can you buy your way into that on a one of basis and if so, how?

So let's see, flight leaves at 08:30 but need to be at the airport when check-in opens at 05:30 because Immigration Dept can't/doesn't staff enough desks. That means leaving my hotel in Bangkok at around 04:45, means waking up at 04:00, hardly a world class airport advertisement!

Evil

I'm afraid I'm flying economy hence no automatic fast track option, but can you buy your way into that on a one of basis and if so, how?

Yes, you can. See post #72 for one option, there were others mentioned elsewhere in the thread.

Evil

Now I know one of reasons we chose to live in Chiangmai.

No need to use Swampy...

When we travel we fly Chiangmai - Singapore and onward ,

Immigrtion takes about about 5 minutes outbound and 2 minutes on arriving back,, AND the bags are waiting at the carousel already.

IF we ever do use Swampy we use Fastrack either provided by the airline due to our frequent flyer or flight classor pay for it...

No way are we waiting 3 hours in a que thanks to inneficiency of Immigration..:wai:

So let's see, flight leaves at 08:30 but need to be at the airport when check-in opens at 05:30 because Immigration Dept can't/doesn't staff enough desks. That means leaving my hotel in Bangkok at around 04:45, means waking up at 04:00, hardly a world class airport advertisement!

So don't be there 3 hours before. I have always used 2 hours as a guide, and have never missed a flight, ever. Neither have my visitors. If enough passengers got checked in (and you always do, if you are in the check in queue 1.5 - 2 hours prior) and missed their flights due to immigration, then the remedy by the airport will come faster. I am willing to take the risk and let the bloody airlines incur the costs of unloading my bags and giving me another flight. I think if somebody's checked in and missed their flight due to immigration (i.e. not passengers fault), then airlines should compensate you...does anyone know? But so far (touch wood!), the risk has never been realised for me, so I shall happily use the 2 hour check-in and to be honest sometimes I'm down to 1.5 hours. And no, I won't be expecting sympathy if I do miss a flight, because it's a risk I am willing to take so that check-in times do not end up being 5 hours in the near future!!!!!

Evil

My last trip to Thailand was in August 2009. After experiencing the governments experiment on internet censorship, I vowed never to return until things improved. Then came the Bangkok riots and now the immigration delays at the airport. The wife still goes back to visit family, but I refuse to accompany her. I used to go there to relax. Now I go elsewhere where there isn't a lot of unnecessary B.S. to put up with. Thailand needs to grow up.

Most check-in desks open 3 hours before departure. My last departure (January) was 08:25, I joined the immigration line at 06:40 and reached the desk at exactly 08:25. Luckily they held the flight as lots of people were in the same situation, but next time I'll give it the full 3 hours I think.

Ever since 9/11 I have gotten to each airport 3 hours before take off, as they recommend,gone thru all the rigamaroll and everytime had the time to get some food, sit and eat peacefully. I also like the departure time around 6am. BKK is empty between 3-5am

I fly in and out of the airport approx 20 times each year, I can never recollect waiting at immigration longer than 20-25 mins. On average, I wait 10 mins max. I honestly cannot imagine how you could be in a line for 1.45hrs and not ask to go to the front given your impending flight departure?

There are 2 departure immigration zones (there used to be 3 but 2 years ago the middle one was given over exclusively for VIPs and Airport Pass holders).

The immigration zones are rarely equal in the number of departing pax - usually one is packed and the other is relatively empty. (The same goes for arrivals). It used to be that I would go from one to the other depending on the airline and time of day to check which had less people. However, 6-8 months ago the AOT did something very smart (for na change) and installed monitors outside each zone showing the other zone. That way a person can check if the other immigrationzone has less people.

As a rule, the east zone is full in the early morning & late afternoon as it is closer to the TG and AK/FD (Airasia) check-in desks. The west zone is usually busier in the late evening before midnight due to the number of intercontinetal flights departing. My advice, check the monitors before entering the zone closest to your check-in counter.

Also, if you are really waiting that long in line I believe it is generally acceptable to ask the person at the front of the line or an AOT staff member if you can proceed to an immigration counter ahead of others. We have all been late for that one flight and needed the assistance and co-operation of others.

That right there is worth my yearly Thaivisa membership fees. Great info.

"Thailand needs to grow up."

And pigs might fly.

I take this and other stuff in my stride.

Its a case of take it or leave it. Personally I really enjoy my time in Thailand, grown up or not.

Edited by soihok

"Thailand needs to grow up."

And pigs might fly.

I take this and other stuff in my stride.

Its a case of take it or leave it. Personally I really enjoy my time in Thailand, grown up or not.

I have always taken things in stride and enjoyed myself. As for departure, I have always been on time and have never missed a flight. When "experienced" and not constant whiners say it is a problem, then I listen up. While far from being disabled, I am having a problem with my knees and try to avoid standing in long lines if I can. My gripe is with the attitude of the people in charge.

I come from a place where tourism is a major part of the economy. While far from perfect our government agencies tend to go out of their way to accommodate visitors.

report: flew out sunday the 27th on an 11:55pm flight. Arrived at airport at about 7pm, because i was worried about delays and had a lot of stuff to ship home too. At 7-8pm, I waited about 5 minutes at immigration, and crossed almost immediately. Security was easy too, while it was much harder (and ruder) in Toronto for my connecting flight.

So...are delays getting better?

report: flew out sunday the 27th on an 11:55pm flight. Arrived at airport at about 7pm, because i was worried about delays and had a lot of stuff to ship home too. At 7-8pm, I waited about 5 minutes at immigration, and crossed almost immediately. Security was easy too, while it was much harder (and ruder) in Toronto for my connecting flight.

So...are delays getting better?

Great to see a positive post.

Been in and out a few times this month and delays seem fairly unchanged overall.

The problem is a lack of consistency. There are airports that we know will usually take a long time. This has only recently become the case at Suv. and it is still often not the case. They are not staffing to allow for varying flows of pax. Surely aircraft movement numbers can be accessed in advance by Immigration, an estimate of bums on seats made, and officers put at the appropriate places. It must also be frustrating for the officers themselves. One minute they've nothing to do and then flat out. Or they're at the grindstone while officers in the other hall are doing bugger-all. I also suspect that the job is of the fixed income variety making it an unattractive posting for the officers. Probably not a good environment for them to hone their entrepreneurial talents as in other placements. They probably even have to buy their own tea with their own tea money... Not much job incentive.

Flew in about 22:30 couple nights ago. 1st arrival hall looked to have queues of a little over 20 deep and most stations manned. I reckon processing takes a little over a minute per person so that seems within the range of acceptable. A couple of plane loads were filing in at the time so it was going to get busy as the hall was already running near capacity.

Wandered down to other hall. It was a dozen officers and me alone! Straight through! Officers appeared to find it quite novel that they had a passenger at all... Carousel was other end so walked past my fellow pax who were still in a 15 deep queue.

What about this for a brilliant idea...? Put a staff member (doesn't even need to be an Immigration officer) at the beginning of the ramp up to each arrival hall, 2 walkie-talkies. Direct people accordingly. It seems too simple. Am I missing something??

I don't think there are monitors showing how busy each hall is for arrivals as with departures. I don't find it easy to know which better from the monitors anyway if the departures are both busy.

a) if the halls overflow then they're simply full on the monitors, whilst the queues outside may differ.

b)the different queue systems in each hall make it difficult to compare. One serpentines and the other has a queue for each station. Think the serpentine has more people per square metre. I wonder why they use the different queuing systems. Maybe they are field testing both to assess which is the more efficient for the benefit of we travellers?cheesy.gif

I just had a brilliant idea. 2 staff, 2 walkie-talkies... Oh, I decided already that it couldn't be that simple.

Happy entries and exits.

Edited by andrew55

All is not lost, according to the Bangkok Post the powers that be at the airport are examining the problem, they are preparing a report which should be presented to a committee in about two weeks, the committee will then discuss and decide what to do.

I assume this is their fast track approach.

Its hardly ROCKET SCIENCE, I thought it would of been very clear what they needed to do. rolleyes.gif

Look here, machinegunning the travelers that haven't filled in their arrival cards will NEVER be a solution unless they have dedicated body removers. Have you ever tried lugging your duty free and hand-carry over a mound of freshly culled flesh? I thought not.

As for departures, what's the darn hurry? Done something bad have we?