Multiple-Entry Non Immigrant Visa

I have been using a multiple entry Non immigrant visa for the past five years and always have left Thailand to renew it, before it expired, thinking that the 12 months was all you got/could get.

Today, though, I picked up on this which states that it is good for 15 months, as long as you do your visa run before it expires.

http://www.thaivisa.com/422.0.html

Is that still the case or have the rules changed (yet again) since that post was made?

That has always been the case. A visa is only required to be valid for the day of entry - beyond that you can stay for the normal permitted time of such an entry.

But what is defined as "the normal permitted time of such an entry"?

A UK national can, normally, enter Thailand for 30 days without a VISA but my VISA allows 90 days at any one time.

Do Thai immigration definitely allow the 90 days, even though it takes the total period to 15 months?

A non immigrant visa entry is 90 days - so that is what you will be stamped in for and can stay if you arrive with a valid visa (it can expire the next day).

Many, many thanks for that.

I'm just working out how much I need to transfer next month and it always adds quite a bit when I need to stay in Laos for a couple of weeks whilst my passport wings its' way to the UK and back again for my new annual.

So, you have made me a very happy bunny.

Many thanks again.

A non immigrant visa entry is 90 days - so that is what you will be stamped in for and can stay if you arrive with a valid visa (it can expire the next day).

I'm just working out how much I need to transfer next month and it always adds quite a bit when I need to stay in Laos for a couple of weeks whilst my passport wings its' way to the UK and back again for my new annual.

Many thanks again.

Hello,

If you are under 50 and want a non immigrant visa O please visit the hull conulate webside because from 7the of january they have new rules no more visiting friends iám affraid

I spoke to Hull as I wanted to get a 12 month non O and the lady said she could still issue a Non O but I would need to have a lease on a house in Thailand (no need to be govt registered she said so easy to make yourself)

I spoke to cardiff also and they said it was no longer possible but maybe Hull is more liberal handing out Non'O's.

Many thanks again.

Hello,

If you are under 50 and want a non immigrant visa O please visit the hull conulate webside because from 7the of january they have new rules no more visiting friends iám affraid

I spoke to Hull as I wanted to get a 12 month non O and the lady said she could still issue a Non O but I would need to have a lease on a house in Thailand (no need to be govt registered she said so easy to make yourself)

Would the definition of "lease on a house" extend to a rental agreement on a studio flat, do you think? Or should I spend the next six months searching for an actual house to lease?

Edited by phaethon

I have already posted on Thai Visa (different feed) but thought I would reiterate that I have just gone through the process of renewing my Multi "O" visa via Hull and my condo rental agreement was fine - It can be an informal rental agreement (does not need to be via a lawyer etc) but you DO need something that stipulates your name and address. A letter from a hotel is also OK, as long as it is on headed paper and stipulates you are a long stay resident of the hotel.

Previous comments are also correct in that you can arrive on the last day of a multi "O" and get 90 days, so yes - it effectively is valid for 15 Months - as long as it is in date when you arrive, it does not matter if it will expire whilst you are here. It is all about getting the 90 day 'entry stamp', upon arrival.

Hope this comforts anyone a little worried...

...I have just gone through the process of renewing my Multi "O" visa via Hull...you can arrive on the last day of a multi "O" and get 90 days, so yes - it effectively is valid for 15 Months - as long as it is in date when you arrive, it does not matter if it will expire whilst you are here. It is all about getting the 90 day 'entry stamp', upon arrival.

The expiration date of your multiple-entry non-O visa does matter regarding the use of the visa, and latest possible use for entry into Thailand depends on your definition of «last day of a multi "O"». For example, if your visa was issued on 12 JAN 2011 it has two dates stamped stamped on it, 12 JAN 2011 and 11 JAN 2012. One has to be careful not to mistake the second date as the latest date when the visa can be used for arrival in Thailand, because in this example the latest date is 10 JAN 2012.

Interesting comments. How much is a 1 year multiple entry non-O?

I assume that on such a visa you have to go out every 90 days, but if like me one goes out every month or two then the next 90 days starts from the latest arrivals stamp.

Am over 50 and looking to compare prices with current 1 year extension + multiple entry/re-entry costs which are 6000B + 800k in the bank for at least 3 months.

Comments would be appreciated.

A one year extension for retirement needs 800,000 Baht in a Thai bank OR 65,000 monthly income OR a combination. Fee 1,900 Baht. Multi Re Entry Permit costs 3,800 Baht.

A Multi Entry Non Imm O Visa costs 5,000 Baht plus the cost of border runs/Visas to other Countries.

If you are leaving and entering every couple of months

there would probably be not much difference between the two.

Bear in mind that if the financial requirements are raised at sometime you would probably be grandfathered if you are already using extensions.

If using a Visa you would not be.

Yes - excellent point to remember! The visa 'expiry date' (in your example 11 Jan 2012) is the date it expires, so it is not valid on that date for travel/entry - you need to arrive before midnight 00.00 on 10 January 2012..

The multi "O" visa is £100 + £8 express/special delivery, unless you personally travel to Hull/Cardiff to save £8??. It is only (as far as I am aware (legally)) available in the UK, not for applications from abroad (I know some people circumvent this, but I am not even going to bother going down that route...)

You need proof of residency (lease agreement, ownership doc or long stay letter from your accommodation provider) and sign a simple declaration that you are able to sustain yourself by your own means (no proof (currently) required).

The process is relatively straightforward and as per the previous post - In order for a quiet, stress-free life I always leave a couple of days grace prior to any visa expiring simply because of unexpected travel delays (erupting volcanoes and what not).

It might also be worth pointing out that with a multi "O" visa you can get your 90 days via a 'boarder run' (land) and will not be penalised by leaving by land rather than air (unlike tourist and other type visa's). A little point, but worth noting I thought? Enjoy :)

If you are over 50, and can comply with the financial requirements, clearly you the Retirement Extension is what you want

(you neglected to mention the alternative option of 65000 THB/mo. pension/income, which for verification

only requires you to execute Affidavit notarized by your Embassy without further proof). But, in any case in order to get the Retirement Extension

you must always first have/obtain the "Non-O" Visa -- though it does not have to be a 'multiple-entry'. You can also convert a (currently free)

Tourist Visa into a Non-O while in Thailand, and then immediately apply to convert it to the Retirement Extension.

Cost in Thailand for the 1-yr Retirement Extension of Stay (renewable every year upon same proof of Financial),

is 1900 THB. Then, only if you want to leave Thailand, you must get a re-entry permit: single: 1000THB multiple: 3800 THB.

In addition, if you need to convert the Tourist Visa to Non-O while in Thailand, additional cost: 2000THB. (About the same cost it would

be to get the Non-O outside of Thailand -- but, much easier).

Interesting comments. How much is a 1 year multiple entry non-O?

I assume that on such a visa you have to go out every 90 days, but if like me one goes out every month or two then the next 90 days starts from the latest arrivals stamp.

Am over 50 and looking to compare prices with current 1 year extension + multiple entry/re-entry costs which are 6000B + 800k in the bank for at least 3 months.

Comments would be appreciated.

I am here on the last 90 day entry, on a multi entry 'o' visa, which i used on the day before the use before date, I enquired could I have used it the next day and was told yes it would be fine, but is it worth taking the risk?

I am here on the last 90 day entry, on a multi entry 'o' visa, which i used on the day before the use before date, I enquired could I have used it the next day and was told yes it would be fine, but is it worth taking the risk?

It is no risk. It is no problem.

Interestingly some of the junior staff at immigration have a problem with this one and have to ask a more senior staff who know.

They all get the same answer that it is ok to enter on the last day of a non o visa and still be given 90 days.

As the consulate who gave you the non o will tell you the visa is effectively for 15 months.

I got my non immigration 'O' visa at the Thai consulate in Birmingham last October 2010, I only had to provide my passport as proof of being over 50, plus of course the completed form, photo's & fee, I've looked at the consulates Web site today, and no where does it say one has to provide a lease or rental agreement to support applications for this visa

1. Immigration has not been kicking back those making travel on the date of expiration of visa for some time AFAIK. It used to be an issue and by English language it would be, bust suspect Immigration did not mean it to be written in that manner (it did catch a lot of people out as most such dates would be until the end of the specified day). Always safer to use a day early but if you forget I expect it will be OK.

2. Change of status/issue of non immigrant entry may not be easier for everyone than obtaining the actual visa from a Consulat - in many cases they would have to travel to Bangkok to obtain and then obtain extension in home area.

whistling.gif Having been to Thailand 4yrs out of 5 and have always been given a 1yr visa no probs.

I am now 65 and will receive my State Pension + small Private Pensions. In the next 14dys I will be applying for another 1yr type O Multi Entry visa I do not own any property or rented accommodation however I have lived in the same home for 2yrs having spoken to people at Hull Consulate I have been informed that they need proof of Pension payments [ no probs ] but I am still confused as to accommodation.

Any HELP would be appreciated.

THANKS meandmineunsure.gif

• 2 months later...

Hello, I am planning to enter briefly before to the expiration of my non-immigrant visa Thailand getting the 90-days-extra-stay. Can I leave and re-enter Thailand with this 90-days permit, or does it expires as soon I leave Thailand, which I assume? Thanks in Advance.

if you have a multople non-immirgant visa you get a new 90 days on entry as long as the visa is valid. After the the visa expires you can no longer use it to enter Thailand. Leaving means getting you wil lose your permisison to stay, but you cna get a r-entry permit to kep your original permisson to stay. It will not give you any extra days, you only keep the original permission to stay until date.

Hello, I am planning to enter briefly before to the expiration of my non-immigrant visa Thailand getting the 90-days-extra-stay. Can I leave and re-enter Thailand with this 90-days permit, or does it expires as soon I leave Thailand, which I assume? Thanks in Advance.

When you leave Thailand your "permission to stay" goes away. The caveat to that is that you can purchase a re-entry permit that will keep your current permission to stay in force. I am on an annual "permission to stay" and for me to leave the country means that I either pay for a new visa, or I pay for a re-entry permit. The re-entry permit makes sense because of all the crud one has to go through for a WP and permission to stay. (Same for retirees ... it keeps the annual permission active so they do not have to requalify)

when I need to stay in Laos for a couple of weeks whilst my passport wings its' way to the UK and back again for my new annual.

If you're using Hull, you'd better have a UK return address for your postal application....

From the Hull website:

Visas applications are accepted only from persons who are residing in the UK at the time of application.