Cracked Above Ground Pond

JAS21

Yes..I know nothing new.

So our village has inherited an above ground pond. It's about 4.2M by 2.4M and 0.55M high. Obviously not piled as it has cracked across the middle and at other places. We have tried to silicone it, but not really successfully.

We will only use it for storing water which will then be used to water the local garden.....just hook a pump in.

I think the way forward is a PVC liner....Can anyone suggest a supplier in the Bangkok/Nonthaburi area...I have googled but would like a recommendation.....thanks

I have read about bentonite but would prefer to use a liner.

Have you considered injection grouting the cracks?

The main crack is across the middle and somewhat wider at the top. I would expect that when it is filled with water, at least one of the ends drops somewhat further or will with time and the crack will open more..so a liner it is..but thanks anyway.

Doubt you can find a seamless sheet of PVC lining that is 4x8m.

Best solution is to break it up into 2 tanks by building two 4th walls next to the crack line with bricks, exmet and waterproof rendering.

the PVC lining used by Des Jouaux (imported) is only 1,2 meter on roll, as is JD Pools (thai made).

second trogers suggestion, and price is low. Install a couple of pvc pipes in wall to make it one tank 10-15cm above floor

Best solution is to break it up into 2 tanks by building two 4th walls next to the crack line with bricks, exmet and waterproof rendering.

the PVC lining used by Des Jouaux (imported) is only 1,2 meter on roll, as is JD Pools (thai made).

second trogers suggestion, and price is low. Install a couple of pvc pipes in wall to make it one tank 10-15cm above floor

PE pipes will be better as they can be stretched a few mm without breaking.

Hello All, the page is slow to load, hit 'products' and it's

on 1pg.

KU Garden Center about 300M from JJ market may have it

also, not sure.

rice555

รายการสินค้า ขนาด

พลาสติก PVC ปูบ่อสีดำ สีดำ 0.25 มม. X 2 ม. X 100 ม.

0.25 มม. X 2 ม. X 50 ม.

0.50 มม. X 2 ม. X 50 ม.

สีฟ้า ‚ เขียว ‚ น้ำตาล 0.25 มม. X 2 ม. X 50 ม.

สีฟ้า ‚ เขียว ‚ น้ำตาล 0.25 มม. X 2 ม. X 100 ม.

http://www.greenplana.com/

post-37242-0-63830500-1295102483_thumb.j

Edited by rice555

Sounds like a good idea. We did something similar with a larger one and it works well. Curiously I heard recently about using bamboo instead of steel or mesh, because its more flexible, but don't know anyone who has done this.

Sounds like a good idea. We did something similar with a larger one and it works well. Curiously I heard recently about using bamboo instead of steel or mesh, because its more flexible, but don't know anyone who has done this.

Sorry, forgot to mention, one of our problems was the base. when the dry season took hold last year, there was a lot of shrinkage underneath, which didn't help the cracks.

Sorry, forgot to mention, one of our problems was the base. when the dry season took hold last year, there was a lot of shrinkage underneath, which didn't help the cracks.

A product I have used very successfully for such a job is Sikaflex FC.

I have used it to repair cracks in 3 metre high 50,000 litre concrete tanks.

First grind the crack out with a 3/16"cutting disc, clean of dust and apply with a normal mastic gun (Sikaflex comes in standard catridges)overfill the gap and spread excess at least 1 inch from the gap to give bondage,once touch dry water wont affect it ,in fact it cures underwater.

Sikaflex is available at Toolpro and Homemart stores.

Prior to repair it may be wise to excavate a bit under the end you feel is sagging and pour a concrete block under it to prevent further sagging.

I have even seen it used to effect tempory repairs to fractures in steel fishing boat hulls.

Edited by ozzydom

I have a strong suspicion that the slab of the pond has no or insufficient steel reinforcement, resulting in that many cracks appearing. If this is the case, demolishing it and building a new one using proper construction is the way to go.