Majority Of Thais Willing To Sell Their Votes: Poll

webfact

Poll says majority of Thais willing to sell their votes

A majority of Thai voters say they are willing to accept money from election candidates who want to buy their votes, according to a poll published on Sunday.

The poll by Bangkok's Assumption University of 2,604 eligible voters in Bangkok and 17 other provinces found that 53.2 per cent would be willing to sell their votes, 40.2 per cent would not and 6.6 per cent were undecided.

According to the poll, the north-east showed the highest proportion of people willing to sell their votes, at 69.6 per cent, followed by Bangkok.

The poll found that 79.5 per cent of those surveyed admitted vote-buying took place in their communities, while 20.5 per cent denied it.

Asked about their political affiliation, 61.1 per cent said they were not yet committed while 27.2 per cent supported the government and 11.7 per cent were opposed to it.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-01-16

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting the highest percentage in the North East. I thought they were all in favor of democracy. the poll go's to show that only a minority are interested in Democracy. As long as they can get a Baht in the hand now who cares.

Then we come to Bangkok the second highest percentage. The stronghold of the yellow shirts who only wanted to grant 30% of the seats to be filled by voting.

And lost in the middle is the people who really believe in democracy :(.

oops forgot to mention how predictable.

Edited by jayjay0

The makings of a great democracy! Seems to me the culture of corruption and vote buying needs to be addressed urgently. In my view, politically motivated policies that bring money to targeted constituencies through new programs is not the same thing as vote buying, and not nearly as bad (can even be positive).

Edited by Jingthing

I don't really know but I assume it is controlled by some electoral commission, and not at village level...otherwise how can the system claim to be truly democratic if voters feel that they may be intimidated after their vote is individually revealed?

Who claimed Thailand has a perfect democracy? Nobody I have ever heard of on any side.

I don't really know but I assume it is controlled by some electoral commission, and not at village level...otherwise how can the system claim to be truly democratic if voters feel that they may be intimidated after their vote is individually revealed?

Who claimed Thailand has a perfect democracy? Nobody I have ever heard of on any side.

I do not think it is perfect, but I do think that they've got at least one fundamental right...of keeping votes secret. But hey, purely conjecture on my part and if votes were not secret, then Thai demopcracy is worse than I thought.

I do not think it is perfect, but I do think that they've got at least one fundamental right...of keeping votes secret. But hey, purely conjecture on my part and if votes were not secret, then Thai demopcracy is worse than I thought.

I recall reading personal account reports here from expats living in Isaan reporting the non-privacy of voting, and the consequences for not voting for the one chosen by the leader, not to mention voting against a promise you have taken money for. How pervasive is this? How can anyone know?

Mark Twain,

If voting made a difference, they wouldn't let us do it.

true in America, Richter Scale true in 'struggling' countries

Yeah, but if most people "feel" the system is mostly "fair" then they have been co-opted into ownership in the system, and are very unlikely to violently revolt.

Maybe they have just worked out that all the politicians are the same.

So you might as well make some money out of it.

We in the west are just daft to keep voting for nothing.

If anyone wants to give me 500bht for my postal vote in the UK, please PM me.

PS

I noticed that my voting forms in the UK all had serial numbers on them.

Does anyone actually believe that vote is secret?

Edited by pjclark1

The makings of a great democracy! Seems to me the culture of corruption and vote buying needs to be addressed urgently. In my view, politically motivated policies that bring money to targeted constituencies through new programs is not the same thing as vote buying, and not nearly as bad (can even be positive).

Why would this surprise anyone, nearly all their females sell a lot more than their votes, and I`ll vote for more of that.. 20 bahts anyone..?

Is their vote really a secret especially in tight knit villages with dominant power structures? I doubt it.

Even if it were completely secret, many would still never believe it, and still feel obligated to vote the way they were paid to or suffer consequences.

Interesting the highest percentage in the North East. I thought they were all in favor of democracy.

No, they were just paid to say that.

My wife's family make about 500 baht each for very illegible voter in their family. I ask a while back as they were collecting their money where I could get mine and they just laughed.

That's what my gf said too. She also said that sometimes the village leader would get a bulk payment to ensure all the votes in the moo baan. He would then disseminate it amongst the families.

I recall reading personal account reports here from expats living in Isaan reporting the non-privacy of voting, and the consequences for not voting for the one chosen by the leader, not to mention voting against a promise you have taken money for. How pervasive is this? How can anyone know?

There are canvassers/agents who distribute the money. If their areas don't vote the right way, they get shot.

There are canvassers/agents who distribute the money. If their areas don't vote the right way, they get shot.

People are motivated by all kinds of incentives.

Other experience.

Tambon elections in Lampang district.

The red mayor (8 years the big boss) has been kicked out. Not enough money for vote bying.

Results> dems win 4 to 2 and the mayor.

Dems had deeper pockets then. :D

Is their vote really a secret especially in tight knit villages with dominant power structures? I doubt it.

Even if it were completely secret, many would still never believe it, and still feel obligated to vote the way they were paid to or suffer consequences.

Town and village intimidation, or be an outcast in your village, the village head man will see to that. The town voted in head of government. 46 villages in our town area, all the village head men are paid by him. Lose your part time job 6k a month. or conform. Simple isn't it. In the cities I have no Idea, but here in the sticks in Issan, Fact....some posters will say in my village it doesn't happen, but they are also blackmailed.

Other experience.

Tambon elections in Lampang district.

The red mayor (8 years the big boss) has been kicked out. Not enough money for vote bying.

Results> dems win 4 to 2 and the mayor.

Dems had deeper pockets then. :D

You insult my family and me. Ignorance speaks with you. No problem.

Edited by lungmi

Town and village intimidation, or be an outcast in your village, the village head man will see to that. The town voted in head of government. 46 villages in our town area, all the village head men are paid by him. Lose your part time job 6k a month. or conform. Simple isn't it. In the cities I have no Idea, but here in the sticks in Issan, Fact....some posters will say in my village it doesn't happen, but they are also blackmailed.

Only 6k. :o The wifes uncle gets 8K per monthe for being the village head person right hand man. We have to keeep this policaly correct the head person is a woman..:lol:

Why would this surprise anyone, nearly all their females sell a lot more than their votes, and I`ll vote for more of that.. 20 bahts anyone..?

Get a hold of your self.:rolleyes:

They should just take the money from the crooked politicians and then go and vote for whoever they want anyway...after all, their vote is secret, is it not?

Constitution Court invalidate the April 2006 election and order new election

The most serious issue was that the ballot booths were placed in a way to compromise voting privacy despite the fact that the constitution stipulate that the voting has to be direct and secret.

The Nation 2006-05-08

============================================================================

Voting booths

The locations of voting booths became the hottest topic among observers. During the election, many voting stations situated the booths in different spots from past elections. Booths this time were placed facing outward (so onlookers, with some effort, could see who people were voting for). election officials, however, claimed that the arrangement of the booths was appropriate as it allowed officials to monitor cheating more easily. They said the arrangement allowed them to see if the voters were taking pictures of the ballots in order to confirm their votes to [and then get money from] the election canvassers.

But many voters disagreed. Said one voter who requested anonymity: “This [the suspicious position of the voting booths] is to confirm vote buying success. Because in the past, people would feel that since they already got the money [from vote buying] they could vote for anyone because nobody would know anyway. But this time, the officials could see who people voted for because of the position of the voting booths and where the election officials were sitting. So if that election official belonged to a political party, then he or she could check whether that voter cast a ballot for the party or not.”

With the voting booths positioned in this way, it is easy to see where voters’ hands are – on the left would mean the voter chose the ruling Thai Rak Thai party while on the right bottom would suggest a “No Vote.”

The Nation 2006-04-04

Edited by Buchholz