100 Policemen To Chase Prostitutes In Bangkok

george

SANAM LUANG: Prostitution tackle

BANGKOK: -- Phra Nakhon District Office’s director, Noppadol Savikamin, is pushing to declare Sanam Luang off limits between 11pm and 5am every day.

Noppadol said yesterday that he hoped the plan could be implemented as early as Thursday.

The idea is to stop prostitutes from plying their trade and to prevent derelicts from sleeping and littering on Sanam Luang.

“We plan to have more than 100 police patrol the area during the off-limits hours,” Noppodol said.

He said Khunying Nathanon Thavisin, Bangkok’s city clerk, had already approved the plan, which will be put before executives at Bangkok Metropolitan Administration for further discussion today.

--The Nation 2005-08-30

The report says nothing about arresting prostitutes, just clearing Sanam Luang during the night.

Prostitution in Thailand was effectively decriminalised by the Prevention and Suppression of Prostitution Act of 1996, which made it illegal to arrest sex workers. This event was widely reported by the Thai newspapers throughout Dec '96. Pimps and procurers are still subject to arrest.

As Thailand's delegate to the UN's Commission on Population and Development stated in 2000:

SUWANNA WARAKAMIN (Thailand) said that while her country had routinely addressed issues of gender equality and violence against women, it had also given specific attention to women’s economic empowerment and their right to equitable access to health and education. The Thai Constitution of 1997 had clearly stipulated gender equality and within its tenets were laws that would ensure equal opportunities for women and men, as well as addressing women’s rights.

She went on to say that the laws to address prostitution and trafficking of women and children had been revised to decriminalize the victims of trafficking. Investigation procedures and techniques had also been improved to become more child- and woman-friendly. At the regional level, a memorandum of understanding between countries in the Mekong subregion marked a new chapter in cooperation by identifying policies aimed at counteracting this transboundary crime.

http://www.un.org/News/Press/docs/2000/200...pop762.doc.html

I've since read in the Bangkok Post (admittedly not the most reliable source) that no person in Thailand has been arrested for the crime of prostitution since 1992. You don't ordinarily hear about pros being arrested these days, but you do get these campaigns to clean areas of nighttime streetwalkers (eg, Suan Lum not so long ago).

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sanam Luang is heaven for HIV+, beggers and home less people. The ground has enough trees and benches for people to sleep and take rest whole day. Many of them parked their triwheeler homes (They carry their stuffs in a triwheeler) and talking shelter there. I have even seen the BMA securities chating with them friendly (May be from tomorrow they will become enemies). It is a open ground and even if they are having sex, there is no money with them, according to law if no money involved it is not prastitution. Stupid government :o.

Leave Sanam Luang, KaoSan road is just 100~150 meters away from Sanamluang and heaven for backpacker farangs. If police raid the guest houses around here they can arrest farangs red handed (I mean even with condoms hanging wet).

Personally, I'm glad to see them cracking down on this prostitution fad, so that they can put a stop to it before it becomes commonplace!  :D

GR

:D:D

Seriously though, I think their hearts in the right place, the area around the Palace and Temples should be devoid of vice and have some modicum of respect. :D

I truly do agree with that, as strongly as I agree that it should be legalized - not just in Thailand, but in every country. My sarcasm jabbed at the obvious fact that the "oldest profession" always has, and always will be with us, as long as human nature remains remotely similar to what it has been for the last million or so years.

Why, then, should it not be legalized, thereby allowing for, in addition the location controls, strong health codes, protection for the providers, and some reasonable level of taxation on the properly reported earnings to pay for the enforcement of the protection of providers and clients alike? There would also be the significant tangendetal benefit of denying a major source of funds to criminals engaged in acts that have real victims!

(Excuse me while I carefully climb down from this soapbox before I hurt myself.)

GR

Good post Pat

BETTER AVATAR! :D:o:D

Watch the headlines next Monday - Cheerless Leader will announce after the crackdown - there are no prostitutes in Thailand

Just as he did -

After 9/11 - there are no terrorists in Thailand

After 1st wave of Bird Flu - there is no bird flu in Thailand

After the 3 month war on drigs - there are no drug dealers in Thailand

And sometime soon - there are no farangs in Thailand?

This originally is coming from a ThaiTV documentary that aired last month. it showed actual transactions taking place with a hidden camera.

Most of the girls were middle school, and high school students. I think this is the reason it was brought to the attention of the Amphur director.

Barry

Great, the city really needs actions like these... :D

(why don't they invest that money - big parts of it the country makes through prostitution :o - to fill the potholes in Bangkok's streets and footpaths instead? Would make more sense to improve life quality of the average BKK resident)

BANGKOK: -- Phra Nakhon District Office’s director, Noppadol Savikamin, is pushing to declare Sanam Luang off limits between 11pm and 5am every day.

Just Where is this area?

Could understand it if it was Nana or Cowboy, unless they are hitting the Thai soapy massage parlors!

This is the big area in front of the Royal Palace in Bangkok, so this is hitting the local

trade, not the tourist side!!

An interesting change of tack for the Boys in Brown.

Watch the headlines next Monday - Cheerless Leader will announce after the crackdown - there are no prostitutes in Thailand

Just as he did -

After 9/11 - there are no terrorists in Thailand

After 1st wave of Bird Flu - there is no bird flu in Thailand

After the 3 month war on drigs - there are no drug dealers in Thailand

And sometime soon - there are no farangs in Thailand?

As per usual Gaz, an excellent post. The only one you omitted was ......

After the first anti corruption commission - there is no corruption in Thailand

However, the findings of the latest one tell us there is corruption here! Surprise, surprise :o

100 policemen to crackdown prostitutes in Bangkok

There are some vicious scary Katoi's out at night. They are beginning to out number the girls. They prowl the Nana to Cowboy walk. Congrigating in certain areas.

They are the only Thai people I know that will walk straight up to you and takes things from your pockets.

Normally one of there friends will grab your nuts first. Robbery anywhere else in the world but I've never heard of a singe prosecution…and the police expect farang to carry passports.

Noppadol said yesterday that he hoped the plan could be implemented as early as Thursday.

The idea is to stop prostitutes from plying their trade and to prevent derelicts from sleeping and littering on Sanam Luang.

“We plan to have more than 100 police patrol the area during the off-limits hours,” Noppodol said.

He said Khunying Nathanon Thavisin, Bangkok’s city clerk, had already approved the plan, which will be put before executives at Bangkok Metropolitan Administration for further discussion today.

--The Nation 2005-08-30

I guessed it's right by all means to crack down prostitution in Thailand.

Particularly in Hatyai, as prostitution seemed to be "legalised" in this province.

The vice squad doesn't intervene all at, brothels runs their business just like 7-eleven stores.

The dirty business goes on as it is, day after day... inviting more victims to HIVs : (

I'm not familiar with the area, but 100 police hassling working girls seems a bit much. Perhaps they could fight real crime, and handle this "project" with less brown shirts.

The Thai Police should rather crackdown those pimps in Bangkok. Save the girls!

walter

You're right. I believe Thaksin Shinawatra and his government will do something about it...

Perhaps, we should invite him into this forum...

We all know that there is no such thing as prostitution in Thailand  :D

So how can those 100 cops be chasing prostitutes?

You gotta love it here.  :o

Tell Thaksin Shinawatra, see what he got to say... HaHa

I'v been reading & posting for a short time,but i have NEVER heard (read)

such shit,if my thai g/f saw this complete rubbish on nearly all your posts

she would dump me & probably all you sad sax of shit,LOS.

My sarcasm jabbed at the obvious fact that the "oldest profession" always has, and always will be with us, as long as human nature remains remotely similar to what it has been for the last million or so years.

Actually it has been legalized thorughout every nation in the world. It has been named marriage to protect the innocent!

Does that mean I'm a prostitute?

It is most famous as the Land of SEX
Aussie Man Held In Thailand On Child Sex Rap

cgigate Posted on: 2005-08-27 12:28:42

Thai is a country for sex!!

cgigate Posted on: 2005-08-30 08:50:35

Welcome to the land of sex!

cgigate Posted on: Today, 2005-09-02 13:01:20

It is most famous as the Land of SEX

Not one to be considered as someone with a one track mind, are you???

:o