Problems With True (Can'T Receive Int'L Calls) - Is There A Fix Or A Better Carrier?

DudeNo1

We got a True sim card when we landed, and were able to make local and international calls fine, but were unable to receive international calls - callers would hear an error saying "this number has international calling restrictions." We called support many, many times, but they weren't able to fix the issue, so we just drove for an hour each way from Patong to Phuket Town, and had the issue fixed (or so we thought!) at the True store near Ocean Mall. We had someone from North America make a test call and they got through fine. But when we got back to Patong, surprise - same problem again! God, I'm so mad right now I could strangle those people. Does anyone know how to fix this problem for good, or should we just switch carriers? We went with True because they supposedly have the best 3G signal, but this is unbelievable. We're supposed to be getting calls for work, but no one can get through to us!

Not sure what the problem is? I assume you have a decent signal and that callers are dialing your number correctly (dropping the leading zero, so from the U.S. they would dial 011 66 8n nnn nnnn)? It seems like there must be some sort tag on your account/IMEI but not sure why? I would contact True again by phone 1331 to try to sort this out or you could immediately try a One-2-Call or DTAC SIM to see if those work acceptably.

Can you share the make/model of your handset(s)?

Also with True you can get lower cost international calls by dialing 006 then the country code and number, 3 baht/min to the U.S./Canada.

Was it not that SIM cards in the south need to be registered before they can receive international calls. Had it not to do with bombs being set off by using GSM telephones who received calls from Malaysia...

Therefore your "North America test call" was likely made from a land line, and from a verified source, your other foreign calls who call you but not get through are likely foreign mobile phone numbers...

Just my two cents

Not sure what the problem is? I assume you have a decent signal and that callers are dialing your number correctly (dropping the leading zero, so from the U.S. they would dial 011 66 8n nnn nnnn)? It seems like there must be some sort tag on your account/IMEI but not sure why? I would contact True again by phone 1331 to try to sort this out or you could immediately try a One-2-Call or DTAC SIM to see if those work acceptably.

Can you share the make/model of your handset(s)?

Also with True you can get lower cost international calls by dialing 006 then the country code and number, 3 baht/min to the U.S./Canada.

Perfect signal, and the test call got through ok when I was at the True store in Phuket Town. An hour later that same person tried to call from the same phone and heard "this number has international calling restrictions." This is so messed up - we called True more than 5 times, and all they could think of was to switch the sim card. Which worked, but only for a brief amount of time. Any idea what's happening and how to fix it?

Also, what are One-2-Call / DTAC sim cards?

The phone is an iPhone3.

Edited by DudeNo1

I would go to the nearest 7-11 and buy a SIM card from another service provider like One-2-Call or DTAC just to see if the problem persists.

I am not familiar with iPhones but the fact that you are able to register with the network, make/receive calls except some international in-bound calls, suggests an issue in provisioning rather than with a non-TRUE IMEI associated with an iPhone. Did you subscribe to a True 3G data plan? Can you access the internet? Are you able to call in to your phone from another phone, like someone else's mobile or a fixed line? Can you send/receive SMSes?

Lastly, has more than one person in another country experienced this same phenomenon? That is to say, you know that more than one person has tried to call and cannot get through, and gets the same recording? Is the recording in Thai? From True? Until you get a bit larger sample size I'm sure what to recommend other than trying a different SIM, either from True or DTAC/Happy or AIS/One-2-Call.

You have an Iphone from here or elsewhere? Believe they are provider specific as sold here. AIS and DTAC are the two largest companies here and One-2-Call and Happy DTAC are there prepay sim cards.

Unlocked iPhone3 from abroad.

I just called True and they said their tech support team will try to fix the issue and get back to me later today.

If they can't fix it, I'm going to switch carriers. I wanted to stay with True because they have the best 3G in Patong, but are there other good choices? Because my phone is useless if no one can call me from overseas.

Got a DTAC sim, and having the exact same problem. Wow, I really feel like shooting myself right now. So what's the problem then - is it my phone? And how come it was able to receive the first international call just fine? Are all Thai carriers just unable to receive international calls - how is this possible? Someone please help - I need to work and this is driving me insane.

i know people who have the same problems. calling in from abroad gives error tones or some thai automated words spoken. just stoped working after recieving int calls for years to the same sim.

who knows in a country where alot of your calls connect to random numbers other than the one you dial.

Got a DTAC sim, and having the exact same problem. Wow, I really feel like shooting myself right now. So what's the problem then - is it my phone? And how come it was able to receive the first international call just fine? Are all Thai carriers just unable to receive international calls - how is this possible? Someone please help - I need to work and this is driving me insane.

OK, now try the True and DTAC SIMs in another phone, maybe ask to borrow someones phone, or purchase an inexpensive handset. Is this iPhone new? Where was it purchased? Have you used it before with other SIMs? I'd Google the iPhone forums to see if it is an issue known to the iPhone. It does seem related to the phone, specifically the networks don't like the IMEI, or if it is just one person calling you, maybe they are dialing the number incorrectly and/or have limited international calling capabilities?

Any detail on the experiences of those calling you? More than one person? In more than one country? Are they able to call others internationally? What do the recordings say exactly?

Can you call internationally with either SIM? Send/receive int'l SMSes? Make/receive local calls?