Drunk Driver Sentenced To Death

george

Drunk driver sentenced to death

MAHA SARAKHAM: -- The Provincial Court Wednesday sentenced a 23yearold man to death after his drunk driving killed four people and injured four others.

Nattapong Raksapong turned pale and fell to his knees when the verdict was read. None of his relatives were in court to hear the verdict.

Four police officers had to help Nattapong walk out of the courtroom.

The court found Nattapong guilty of deliberate murder, causing injuries, damaging property and breaking traffic laws.

The court said it found no merit in commuting the sentence.

Nattapong has 30 days to lodge the appeal.

"He has our sympathy, but we believe he deserves capital punishment for what he has done," said a relative of Nattapong, who asked not to be named.

He said all Nattapong's relatives were fed up with his behaviour.

On March 12, Nattapong drank five bottles of liquor and stole a six-wheel truck from his adopted father. He later hit eight people in four separate accidents.

His victims included seven students who were about to take the national university entrance examination.

The four who died were killed instantly.

Nattapong was finally arrested when he crashed into a pickup, leaving its driver dead at the scene.

--The Nation 2005-08-31

"we believe he deserves capital punishment for what he has done," said a relative of Nattapong, who asked not to be named.
I don't have a problem with that.

Apparently even his own relatives don't have a problem with it...

:o

Based upon the stated specifics of this case, I don't as well.

I tend to be a bit anti death penalty especially in this country where money and connections can influence the outcome, this is not always to get off a crime -but in many cases to "fit-up" someone else for your mis-deeds. However, in this case I don't have a problem with the outcome either and think it should be applied more often in cases like this - it might help in reducing the number of road-kills.

I should add that they didn't swing 'em before either. It used to be death by shooting with a heavy barrel sub machine gun bolted down to a bench. The victim, shackled in a chair was not visible to the triiger man (executioner) because there was a sandbag partion between them. the trigger puller was a randomly selected (volunteer?) who was given a stiff alchoholic drink before the job. Pity they changed the method; the execution of a drunken driver by a drunken executioner would seem very apt!

Usually I don't agree with the TV Jury, however this time let the bugger swing. When you're own family don't support you, you must be rotten!!!!

I should add that they didn't swing 'em before either. It used to be death by shooting with a heavy barrel sub machine gun bolted down to a bench. The victim, shackled in a chair was not visible to the triiger man (executioner) because there was a sandbag partion between them. the trigger puller was a randomly selected (volunteer?) who was given a stiff alchoholic drink before the job. Pity they changed the method; the execution of a drunken driver by a drunken executioner would seem very apt!
Usually I don't agree with the TV Jury, however this time let the bugger swing. When you're own family don't support you, you must be rotten!!!!

Well ... that is a little like it used to be. But only a little.

The court found Nattapong guilty of deliberate murder, causing injuries, damaging property and breaking traffic laws.

On March 12, Nattapong drank five bottles of liquor and stole a six-wheel truck from his adopted father. He later hit eight people in four separate accidents.

Deliberate murder. Without trying to be nit-picking, I feel something got lost in translation here. Or was this man really still capable of “deliberation” after imbibing five bottles of liquor? It seems a wonder that he didn’t kill himself long ago with an overdose of alcohol.

Not that I take issue with the Thai judicial system. If the punishment fits this particular crime under Thai law, so be it.

Incidentally, in some other country, if a lorry driver left the key in the ignition (I don’t know if this was the case here) and somebody else took it and killed a few people with it, the vehicle driver – the one who left the key – would have to appear before a judge, too. In Switzerland, even if the vehicle, any motorized vehicle, is left with the key in the ignition without it being stolen and a crime committed with it, the driver, if caught, pays a fine of CHF 60 (approx. THB 1,900). In some other place, of course, the vehicle wouldn’t be there five minutes later – a worse punishment.

People who are given the death penalty as a general rule don't have a family that is supportive or caring. They generally also are very poor. There aren't too many places on Earth where money can't improve your lot--even when facing the gallows (needle, Chair, etc.).

so this guy takes the dirt nap while the singer (who did the same) works on her next album.

where is the justice????

Don't you mean money. That would be all he needed. But if his family are fed up with his carry ons then...

C

As far as I am aware there is no correlation between the death penalty and a reduction in the criminal activities it is meant to deter. Generally speaking, it appeals to the less refined whose support second rate politicians often find invaluable when seeking election, hence its popularity within the USA. Its existence here in Thailand is equally regrettable but can in part, I think, be attributable to the Thai belief system which vouchsafes another shot at life, albeit in a dubious form, and so is not as final an act as it may be regarded elsewhere.

The hang 'em high brigade strike me as most unappealing and certainly would be sufficient to drive one to drink.

Cheers.

so this guy takes the dirt nap while the singer (who did the same) works on her next album.

where is the justice????

Don't you mean money. That would be all he needed. But if his family are fed up with his carry ons then...

C

As far as I am aware there is no correlation between the death penalty and a reduction in the criminal activities it is meant to deter. Generally speaking, it appeals to the less refined whose support second rate politicians often find invaluable when seeking election, hence its popularity within the USA. Its existence here in Thailand is equally regrettable but can in part, I think, be attributable to the Thai belief system which vouchsafes another shot at life, albeit in a dubious form, and so is not as final an act as it may be regarded elsewhere.

The hang 'em high brigade strike me as most unappealing and certainly would be sufficient to drive one to drink.

Cheers.

There is a definate correlation between drunk driving and the penalties imposed.

If the death penalty were to become the norm for drunk driving and it was enforced then I am sure that the numbers of drunks on the roads would quickly diminish.

There is however a small minority who would disregard any possible penalty.

where is the justice????

C

Cheers.

There is a definate correlation between drunk driving and the penalties imposed.

If the death penalty were to become the norm for drunk driving and it was enforced then I am sure that the numbers of drunks on the roads would quickly diminish.

There is however a small minority who would disregard any possible penalty.

And those who steal should face amputation, adulteresses should be stoned to death, witches burned and children fit quite nicely in one's chimney? Your thesis may have logic but is otherwise witless unless, of course, you also subscribe to the more fundamental of the islamic faiths in which case futher reasoning would be futile.

Not advocating the use of the death penalty at all , just stating that such a penalty would have a definate effect on the number of drunk drivers.

What is interesting in the reported case is that killing people whilst driving intoxicated is treated as murder.

Normally , in most countries it would be classified as manslaughter with a considerably lower penalty , perhaps in this case the youth has been seen to deliberately to try run people over ? if so then murder is ofcourse the correct charge regardless whether or not he was drunk.

where is the justice????

Excellent point in comparing with this thread!:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=41448

While the specifics of the individual cases differ... the end result was the same in that a drunk driver killed someone... and yet the punishments were polar opposites:

1. Death Penalty

2. 36 hours of community service

where is the justice????

Excellent point in comparing with this thread!:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=41448

While the specifics of the individual cases differ... the end result was the same in that a drunk driver killed someone... and yet the punishments were polar opposites:

1. Death Penalty

2. 36 hours of community service

I wonder where the idea that justice was blind came from :o

I wonder where the idea that justice was blind came from :o

I am afraid that the whole idea is that justice should be blind, in this country however it appears she is looking around very careful before she acts ... afraid to hit the "wrong" person ... no matter what the facts are!

Edited by Sangsom

Wait a minute.

This guy went out and mowed people down, one of whom was in the same class as a friend of mine. I know about this story well.

What if a guy goes out and mows people down without drinking?

Should he get the death penalty?

Jus because someone is drunk and commits a crime doesn't neccessarily mean that they wouldn't do such a crime sober.

Not up to me to decide if he should die or not, but I am very angry.

If I were on the jury, I would probably say life in jail.

And of course Expats never drink and drive.

Careful what you wish for,this case may look like a recidivist offender who deserves it ,but who trust the thai justice system?

Death penalty for Accidental death?

Wait a minute.

This guy went out and mowed people down, one of whom was in the same class as a friend of mine. I know about this story well.

What if a guy goes out and mows people down without drinking?

Should he get the death penalty?

Jus because someone is drunk and commits a crime doesn't neccessarily mean that they wouldn't do such a crime sober.

Not up to me to decide if he should die or not, but I am very angry.

If I were on the jury, I would probably say life in jail.

Some interesting points here. The death penalty might work well in deterring drunk drivers--but not completely. Then again, people who imbibe and drive are more amenable to following the laws if breaking the law gets unpleasant enough. Murderers, on the other hand, probably have a completely different mind set.