Suicide bomber kills dozens at Moscow airport

News_Editor

Suicide bomber kills dozens at Moscow airport

2011-01-24 23:33:53 GMT+7 (ICT)

MOSCOW (BNO NEWS) -- A suicide bomber killed up to 31 people at Moscow's busiest airport on Monday afternoon, officials said, prompting a major security alert in the Russian capital.

The blast at Domodedovo International Airport happened in the international arrivals hall at 4.32 p.m. local time in a general area where persons who are not passengers have free access. "The victims are being treated at the scene or are being transported to hospitals in the city," an airport spokesperson said.

Authorities said the blast was caused by at least one suicide bomber who may have been a North Caucasus native, according to the Interfax news agency. It was not immediately known which group may have been behind the attack.

Russia's Ministry of Health said the blast at the airport killed at least 31 people, while more than 130 others were injured, including 20 who were said to be in a critical conditions. The airport spokesperson, however, put the death toll at at least 24.

As a result of the explosion, Moscow police went on a high security alert and were checking the Moscow subway and other Moscow airports to prevent any other attacks. Flights were resuming as normal at Domodedovo Airport, although some were delayed.

On March 29, 2010, at least 40 people were killed and 102 others were injured when two women blew themselves up at two Moscow Metro stations. It was the deadliest terrorist attack in Moscow in years.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-01-24

BIG lesson for Thailand's airport along with other countries as well. Will they learn from this incident?

by GF works at samui airport, the other day i parked by car within 25 metres of the runway ( not checked ) , walked straight pass departures, through an employee only route to arrivals, into arrivals and baggage area gave her her mobile which she forgot , she said how the hell did you get through here without being stopped !, i then walked back the same route... and was never stopped or asked who i was once....

S

BIG lesson for Thailand's airport along with other countries as well. Will they learn from this incident?

by GF works at samui airport, the other day i parked by car within 25 metres of the runway ( not checked ) , walked straight pass departures, through an eSmployee only route to arrivals, into arrivals and baggage area gave her her mobile which she forgot , she said how the hell did you get through here without being stopped !, i then walked back the same route... and was never stopped or asked who i was once....

Scary. The Russians, however, will not take this lying down.

S

by GF works at samui airport, the other day i parked by car within 25 metres of the runway ( not checked ) , walked straight pass departures, through an eSmployee only route to arrivals, into arrivals and baggage area gave her her mobile which she forgot , she said how the hell did you get through here without being stopped !, i then walked back the same route... and was never stopped or asked who i was once....

Brezhnev wouldn't, but who knows who's running the show now?

Most western airports have a much higher density of people in the check-in areas, which are usually open to the public without search measures, than in the airside lounges. The armed police/army wandering about are just cosmetic to make you feel better. The only safe place to stand at London Heathrow is next to the ELAL counter.

Several asian airports - eg New Delhi, Manila, (ChiangMai? HatYai?) etc etc have security screening before you gain access to the inside of the terminal, and New Delhi/Manila allow only passengers with tickets to enter.

Has the Moscow subway introduced full screening yet? However i seem to remember that Moscow airport does have a screening process at the entrance door, so something must have failed.....

They found a soft spot, one that exists in airports globally, including the US.

I'm paraphrasing, but during the "Iran Hostage Crisis" Brezhnev was asked why such things never happened to Russians. He said something like "because we'd never allow it of course". Different crew in there these days.

And to be fair, there's not much anyone can do against someone who is willing to kill themselves in the process.

Edited by lannarebirth

S

Brezhnev wouldn't, but who knows who's running the show now?

Brezhvev was a sick, vain and foolish old man. Putin will send in the dogs...