Land Near Kangphangphet

RickThai

My wife (who is Thai) can buy 5 rai of land at 55k/rai. The land asjoins land owned by her brother. It fronts a road and ends at a river. The land did not flood during last years heavy flood. Does this seem to be a good price? I plan on moving to Thailand and building a home there in about two years.

Thanks for your thoughts.

RickThai

It depends on where it is.

I live 65 km southwest of Khampaeng Phet just past Klong Lan on the way to the Mae Wong national park.

A Thai friend was offered land there for about 70k per rai but considers that too much.

It fronts onto the route 1117 and has power and water plus the klong runs at the back.

There were no floods this year but back in 2005 there was a lot of heavy rain and some land got a metre or more washed away.

It depends on where it is.

I live 65 km southwest of Khampaeng Phet just past Klong Lan on the way to the Mae Wong national park.

A Thai friend was offered land there for about 70k per rai but considers that too much.

It fronts onto the route 1117 and has power and water plus the klong runs at the back.

There were no floods this year but back in 2005 there was a lot of heavy rain and some land got a metre or more washed away.

[/quote I second all what you have said, K.P.Phet is farm land except for the town. Where it can cost up to 1mil a Rai. Most of the land may not have the right paperwork, not unusual there. If it's being sold to her by her brother or friend not a good idea. Dont, Dont, EVER think that you a going to get a good deal from family if a Farang is paying. Also you will live next door. They will be round every 5 min's: to get food, money +++++++++++++ Never live within 100 mil's: of family. 500 If they have a car. And I'm not joking. Tip, go live there for one or so year's renting "very cheap" and see what I mean, you wont miss out on the land, as they more that likely can't sell it to anyone else, well not for that price anyway. I lived in K.P.Phet for over 6 year's and still go back several time's a year to see the Ex. I know many people there (all walk's of life) Would I buy farm land there not on you life. Reason if it's any good they wont sell it unless it's over priced. Come over in October when it rain's and give it a look over, dose it have main's water or well, good electric??? if your still going to go ahead with it best of luck. On the other hand K.P.Phet is now quite a nice town.

Well my wife bought her land originally from a friend in the village (though she and her family come from Bang Na in Bangkok) and quite a few years ago we bought the plot next door.

Most of her family still live in Bangkok but come up for the holidays and when her middle brother had a few problems in BKK, he, his wife and son stayed with us for a few months before they went back to a different job and started again. While they were here they also started a small stall at the market selling duck and chicken with noodles.

My mother in law lives with us in a small house we built a while ago and is more than welcome as is her Dad when he comes up.

Some farm land around here is good and sometimes it is sold but the land titles are not full and the reason to sell is because of bad luck elsewhere. My friend is negotiating for some land now which is owned by 2 sisters (who are also friends of ours). One works for the Forestry department and the other is married and living near Phitsanulok and their rice farm got flooded last year and they need to get back on their feet again.

Nobody comes around here every 5 minutes bludging beers etc and when they do come they are welcome.

I have been living here on and offshore for the last 8 years and it is a nice quiet place with few farangs and not so much to do which is OK for me as I am now retired.

It IS a good idea to find somewhere to rent before you buy and also a good idea to be around in the wetter season of October and November.

Good luck to you and I hope that it all works out well.

The right paperwork can effect the price too..........make sure you get the "chanote" for the proposed area, look for the small concrete posts that have a seal on them on the corners of the area...........if its been registered correctly that is. Dont accept a "I know the family" routine etc.

fredob43 is absolutely right !

Edited by CharlieH

Well my wife bought her land originally from a friend in the village (though she and her family come from Bang Na in Bangkok) and quite a few years ago we bought the plot next door.

Most of her family still live in Bangkok but come up for the holidays and when her middle brother had a few problems in BKK, he, his wife and son stayed with us for a few months before they went back to a different job and started again. While they were here they also started a small stall at the market selling duck and chicken with noodles.

My mother in law lives with us in a small house we built a while ago and is more than welcome as is her Dad when he comes up.

Some farm land around here is good and sometimes it is sold but the land titles are not full and the reason to sell is because of bad luck elsewhere. My friend is negotiating for some land now which is owned by 2 sisters (who are also friends of ours). One works for the Forestry department and the other is married and living near Phitsanulok and their rice farm got flooded last year and they need to get back on their feet again.

Nobody comes around here every 5 minutes bludging beers etc and when they do come they are welcome.

I have been living here on and offshore for the last 8 years and it is a nice quiet place with few farangs and not so much to do which is OK for me as I am now retired.

It IS a good idea to find somewhere to rent before you buy and also a good idea to be around in the wetter season of October and November.

Good luck to you and I hope that it all works out well.

What I ment by family was not just your mother in law who nobody mind's giving the odd meal to, or even feeding full time. But general family, like brother's ect in BKK. That's only 350kl away, and you got them from there, didn't you. Like I said 500 mile's. On the door step is a no, no. My Ex's family also live in BKK didn't get them that often, and the good lady made it a point of telling them only for a few day's. Once the sister is married to a Farang were all "very rich" dont you know, then it's open house. Trust me there all be coming. Had a friend who lived just outside K.Pang after two week's had to put a lock on the fridge. His wife who he is no longer with, said it ok as their family. He used to come to a local bar and narrate all the problem's, Cost's ect. He got many good idea's on how to sort it out, solved it himself in the end, just buggered off. Now live's in Pattaya, and would you belive it no guest's come a knocking. Even though Pattaya is a lot more of an expencive place to live than K.P.Phet is he's still quid's in. I might sound a bit hard, but for every 1 that I've seen that have had no problem's, I can show you 1 mil who do. It's not a K.Pang thing that go's for anywhere in Thailand. Tip there's a book very tongue in cheek called, Money Number One, everyone "Farang" should read it before coming to Thailand, let alone live here. It'll save you fourtune's. The 500 mile's is one of the thing's that come's from it. In hindsight I would make it 1000+ mile's. Edited by fredob43

FRED WRIGHT AGAIN.

I DONT have a problem with my fridge

the problem i have is that everything has feet?

no one ever takes anything of mine?

So what i have to do is tie the boot laces together.:cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

the problem i have found with new farangs is they just

dont want to listen ,they think they no it all until its to late.

THE last one had a house built,cost him 7mil and should

have cost about 2 and still not finished.

FRED WRIGHT AGAIN.

Ah now here we go down the house road. That's another story or several. Chum of mine did the same, didn't cost 7mil only 4 but should have cost 1.5 when it came to the painting at last he did ask some advice on how much, I told him about 10,000bt for the paint with load's left over for touch up. His wife had got a quote from the builder!!!!! 55,000bt..... I knew because I had just done mine and got out for about the same price (Much bigger house)

Another friend got some land from an Aunt of wife might add very cheap. Started to build house 3 double bedroom's. Didnt see him for some time, when I did asked how the old plot was shaping up. Ah all's going well but now a 5 double dedroom one. Oh I said why has it gone to that??? well the Aunt that he got the land from now didn't have anywere to live. So she's going to move in. Where did the rest of the family live all within 1 km both case's.... Yes you've guest it that both are now not with there good ladies, cant for the love of me understand why, maybe an age thing. They both still live in Thailand, slightly less money but a lot wiser. And neither of then has dropped the same clanger since.

Another thing is Tool's that have feet, but they only go one way. Bet you know what I mean Kelboy..... Yes the old ploy of tieing the laces to gether, don't work dose it. Tip. Even if you take there bloody shoe's off still wont solve to problem....... As I said before read the book.... And yes I did, did I save money's you bet, even made some. Not many peep's can say that. Over here you dont have to be one jump ahead you have to be several thousand....... Then there's the other one can only put the NEW car in the WIFE'S name, turn's out she doesn't have a current driving licence so insurance invalid..... Load's more story's where that lot came from...... Oh I love this place.

fred you sound like my type of man.

i have been here for over 10 years and have some tales to tell as

i THINK you do.i will be in pang_ka thai (sorry if i speltit wrong)

in the next couple of days.so lets have a glass or 2 .

my No is 0899326174 and i'm kelvin.

cheers.:partytime2::burp::drunk:

FRED WRIGHT AGAIN.

Ah now here we go down the house road. That's another story or several. Chum of mine did the same, didn't cost 7mil only 4 but should have cost 1.5 when it came to the painting at last he did ask some advice on how much, I told him about 10,000bt for the paint with load's left over for touch up. His wife had got a quote from the builder!!!!! 55,000bt..... I knew because I had just done mine and got out for about the same price (Much bigger house)

Another friend got some land from an Aunt of wife might add very cheap. Started to build house 3 double bedroom's. Didnt see him for some time, when I did asked how the old plot was shaping up. Ah all's going well but now a 5 double dedroom one. Oh I said why has it gone to that??? well the Aunt that he got the land from now didn't have anywere to live. So she's going to move in. Where did the rest of the family live all within 1 km both case's.... Yes you've guest it that both are now not with there good ladies, cant for the love of me understand why, maybe an age thing. They both still live in Thailand, slightly less money but a lot wiser. And neither of then has dropped the same clanger since.

Another thing is Tool's that have feet, but they only go one way. Bet you know what I mean Kelboy..... Yes the old ploy of tieing the laces to gether, don't work dose it. Tip. Even if you take there bloody shoe's off still wont solve to problem....... As I said before read the book.... And yes I did, did I save money's you bet, even made some. Not many peep's can say that. Over here you dont have to be one jump ahead you have to be several thousand....... Then there's the other one can only put the NEW car in the WIFE'S name, turn's out she doesn't have a current driving licence so insurance invalid..... Load's more story's where that lot came from...... Oh I love this place.

Thanks for the warnings. I have been married to this lady for over 36 years and I know fullwell of how Thai relatives help each other. You may be surprised to learn that Thai relattives help each other just like they expect falongs to help them if they are part of the family. Its not just a ripoff of the falongs.

However, if you are 50 years old and married to a 25 year old, former bargirl, there is a more than likely chance you are being taken for a ride, since many of these girls are attracted to falongs just for the money. I think it is just like rich westerners marryinhg 'trophy wives', except the falongs don't have to be worth millions, just have a pension of 4 or 5 hundred bucks a month. In defense of the bargirls, many of them do send money to their relatives on a monthhly basis. When they get married to a falong, they still feel pressured to send the money and most of the falongs either don't really have the money, or use a western attitudeof taking care of yourself, and letting your parentsand/or siblings fend for themselves.

As you all know, Thai businesses always expect falongs to pay 3 or 4 times more than what a Thai would be expected to pay They assume you can afford it, and if they don't stick by their inflated prices, they feel that they lose face. Thus they can get angry that you won't pay the ridiculous price, and if you are not careful, you can get shot or stabbed.

When I am in Thailand, I let my Thai brother-in-law or one of my wife's nephews do all the business dealings while I stay hidden away. My brother-in-law is a senior police officer and he gets discounts that most Thais are unable to get.

I trust him explicitly. Two years ago, I tried to give him a Bhudda, that his late father had given me about 36 years ago. It was dangling on a 2-baht gold necklace and enshrined in gold. The whole thing had to be worth $1200.00 at the time, yet he refused it, saying that it needed to stay with me in order to protect me.

I don't know of too many people who would turn down a $1200.00 gift, falong or Thai.

I've known my wife's relatives for a long time, and they routinely give each other money (even the poor ones) to help out when needed. One nephew who is kind of businessman is critized by all the other relatives, since he is tight with his money and very seldom helps out. So I believe relatives are expected to help out each other and

falongs, generally having more money, are expected to really help out, if they are part of the family.

So I agree with you that living close to your wife's family will probabloy put pressure on you to help out, and you will also find her relative's living with you off and on, but that is really part of Thai culture, not just squeezing a falong for the money.

For me, I decide if and when I want to help out and how much. I bought my wife's oldest sister a condo in BKK ($25k USD). She was someone I liked and really rexpected and her Thai husband abandoned her with two small children.

That was years ago and now the boys are grown, and I have a great relationship with all of them. My wife's youngest sister works in a hospital with a lot of hard work and long hours. She is married to the laziest Thai I have ever met. He is an alcoholic and when he dies I will probably help her out. For now he stays away from me (and my wife's brother) since neither of us will have anything to do with them.

So I guess, it all goes down to, if your wife and you have a strong relationship, living near her family can be a blessing, but if she married for primarily for the money, or her immediate familiy is desparately poor and needs her help, then staying far away from them is probably a great idea.

Again, thanks for all the information and advice.

Rick

FRED WRIGHT AGAIN.

Thanks for the warnings. I have been married to this lady for over 36 years and I know fullwell of how Thai relatives help each other. You may be surprised to learn that Thai relattives help each other just like they expect falongs to help them if they are part of the family. Its not just a ripoff of the falongs.

However, if you are 50 years old and married to a 25 year old, former bargirl, there is a more than likely chance you are being taken for a ride, since many of these girls are attracted to falongs just for the money. I think it is just like rich westerners marryinhg 'trophy wives', except the falongs don't have to be worth millions, just have a pension of 4 or 5 hundred bucks a month. In defense of the bargirls, many of them do send money to their relatives on a monthhly basis. When they get married to a falong, they still feel pressured to send the money and most of the falongs either don't really have the money, or use a western attitudeof taking care of yourself, and letting your parentsand/or siblings fend for themselves.

As you all know, Thai businesses always expect falongs to pay 3 or 4 times more than what a Thai would be expected to pay They assume you can afford it, and if they don't stick by their inflated prices, they feel that they lose face. Thus they can get angry that you won't pay the ridiculous price, and if you are not careful, you can get shot or stabbed.

When I am in Thailand, I let my Thai brother-in-law or one of my wife's nephews do all the business dealings while I stay hidden away. My brother-in-law is a senior police officer and he gets discounts that most Thais are unable to get.

I trust him explicitly. Two years ago, I tried to give him a Bhudda, that his late father had given me about 36 years ago. It was dangling on a 2-baht gold necklace and enshrined in gold. The whole thing had to be worth $1200.00 at the time, yet he refused it, saying that it needed to stay with me in order to protect me.

I don't know of too many people who would turn down a $1200.00 gift, falong or Thai.

I've known my wife's relatives for a long time, and they routinely give each other money (even the poor ones) to help out when needed. One nephew who is kind of businessman is critized by all the other relatives, since he is tight with his money and very seldom helps out. So I believe relatives are expected to help out each other and

falongs, generally having more money, are expected to really help out, if they are part of the family.

So I agree with you that living close to your wife's family will probabloy put pressure on you to help out, and you will also find her relative's living with you off and on, but that is really part of Thai culture, not just squeezing a falong for the money.

For me, I decide if and when I want to help out and how much. I bought my wife's oldest sister a condo in BKK ($25k USD). She was someone I liked and really rexpected and her Thai husband abandoned her with two small children.

That was years ago and now the boys are grown, and I have a great relationship with all of them. My wife's youngest sister works in a hospital with a lot of hard work and long hours. She is married to the laziest Thai I have ever met. He is an alcoholic and when he dies I will probably help her out. For now he stays away from me (and my wife's brother) since neither of us will have anything to do with them.

So I guess, it all goes down to, if your wife and you have a strong relationship, living near her family can be a blessing, but if she married for primarily for the money, or her immediate familiy is desparately poor and needs her help, then staying far away from them is probably a great idea.

Again, thanks for all the information and advice.

Rick

Well sound's like you have got your act together. Just a few pointer's I assume you know that YOU cannot own land here. So God/Buddha forbid anything dose not happen to the good lady as ALL the money's you have laid out are a gonner. To build a house buy land ect will cost English 60,000 $ 95,000 all gone. All will go to the family, unless you have THAI children. If you do decide to go down the buying route. The good lady will have to show that the money's that she pay's for it is all her's (Just make's life a lot easyer) IE not joint account with Farang/Husband. As mentioned in a previous post no Chanote/Freehold no buy, Why because she will only have the use of the land and if they deside to build a road for example through it up to them, you don't have a leg to stand on. Have a very good read up on Thai law, if you cant understand it a brief synopsis of is the Farang is buggered, NO rite's what so ever.

I assume you dont live here when you do you will find that leapard's can change there spot's. As you pointed out Thai's look after family = Thai family and your not Thai. Sorry but the Farang is at the bottom of the list. FACT. You may think I'm very hard but trust me you have to live here for sometime to find out what it's like. You mentioned about bar ladies none of the anecdotes I put in concerned them, there a different kettle of fish altogether.

To sum up look/think hard, find out everything about what your letting yourself in for before you jump.

Best of luck.

Edited by fredob43

Fredob43,

Thanks for your reply. You brought up an interesting point re: leopards change their spots. I've never thought too much about it before, but I guess I can expect a change in the balence of power between my wife and me when I move to Thailand. I know when on vacation in Thailand, I generally defer to her judgement, since she speaks Thai and knows the culture. Here in the US, I have also been the one to call the shots on discretionary income spending and so forth.

So I want to ask; Has other ex-patriots with a Thai wife who have moved to to Thailand to live full-time, noticed this power-play grab by their Thai wives upon moving to Thailand? If so, how has it effected your marriage and/or changed you lives?

I plan on keeping most of my money in the US and only having enough in Thailand to live comfortably. I realize that there is no such thing as estate planning in Thailand. Whatever money or property you acquire can vanish overnight on the whimsey of whatever government is currently in charge.

I've heard that currently the safest way to "own" property in Thailand is for you wife to buy the land (with her money of course) and have a 30 year lease drawn up allowing you to live on the land for a couple of dollars a year. The house can still be in your name. That way if she dies before you, you can still legally have control of the property for the next 30 years. Of course all this can change overnight, if the Thai government changes its laws.

The same can apply to any business that you may be a partner. I know a man that lost a $1 million USD shipping business in Ethiopia when a new renegrade government took over. He was lucky to get out of the country with his life.

So when I come to Thailand, I'll try and bring only things that I can afford to lose.

Regards to all,

Rick

Fredob43,

Thanks for your reply. You brought up an interesting point re: leopards change their spots. I've never thought too much about it before, but I guess I can expect a change in the balence of power between my wife and me when I move to Thailand. I know when on vacation in Thailand, I generally defer to her judgement, since she speaks Thai and knows the culture. Here in the US, I have also been the one to call the shots on discretionary income spending and so forth.

So I want to ask; Has other ex-patriots with a Thai wife who have moved to to Thailand to live full-time, noticed this power-play grab by their Thai wives upon moving to Thailand? If so, how has it effected your marriage and/or changed you lives?

I plan on keeping most of my money in the US and only having enough in Thailand to live comfortably. I realize that there is no such thing as estate planning in Thailand. Whatever money or property you acquire can vanish overnight on the whimsey of whatever government is currently in charge.

I've heard that currently the safest way to "own" property in Thailand is for you wife to buy the land (with her money of course) and have a 30 year lease drawn up allowing you to live on the land for a couple of dollars a year. The house can still be in your name. That way if she dies before you, you can still legally have control of the property for the next 30 years. Of course all this can change overnight, if the Thai government changes its laws.

The same can apply to any business that you may be a partner. I know a man that lost a $1 million USD shipping business in Ethiopia when a new renegrade government took over. He was lucky to get out of the country with his life.

So when I come to Thailand, I'll try and bring only things that I can afford to lose.

Regards to all,

Rick

What Ho, Rick.

As stated before you seem to have got yourself sorted.

1. Never trust a Thai no matter who. Did you know that Police are some of the most corrupt peep's in Thailand.???

2. Leopards changing there spot's, lot's do hence the problem's Farang's get. Normaly problem's with family hence 1000+ mile's. Tip never tell anyone how much money you have. Good idea to keep most of it in the US.

3. Visa you will need a Thai 0 one. From the US Thai embassy. You can then change that for permission to stay one over here, you will need 400,000bt in a Thai bank your's only not joint. Or a US pension for the same. amount. Ask when you get here easy to do. But you must have to 0 one to start with.

4. Right on the lease for the house a must easy.

5. Yes many Farang's get problem's with there good lady after they have lived here for a little time it's the Family thing again. A yes load's have moved on from their wife's.

6. Never go into a business with a Thai quick way of loosing money's.

7. Make arrangement's with your US bank to send cash over to your Thai one. Also sort out your US ATM. AND NEVER EVER TELL ANY ONE YOUR ATM NO: No matter how much you trust them. If they find out or know change it sharpish.

8. As I have said before Ask as many peep's as poss before you jump. Tip, get to know local Farang's not hard, ask on Thai Visa you will get load's of reply's not hard to sort the wheat from the chaff.

9. It's a great place to live once you sort yourself out.

10. Rent for at least two year's. Never buy land before you have seen it at all time's of the year. No chanote no buy. More expencive but it will at least be your wife's freehold. Get a smaller bit of land if to pricey. Trust me on that one.

Hope this help's and come back if you need any more imfo..... Fred.

Well Fredob43 my experience is totally different from yours so I guess I will leave it at that.

Just because your's is ok does'nt mean that there are not other folk's with problem's that are living here. You might be one of the lucky one's I didnt say all were like It, just a lot. Normally caused by family.

If it's your first time living here best to be on the safe side. All I wish is for all people to be happy. Life is to short for problem's. If your clued up about things' that can happen it more than likely won't, or it'll at least give you a fighting chance as you would be one jump ahead.

I never said I had a problem on the contrary I'm a very happy chappy. Not had one bad word in over 12 year's, and laugh every day. But I can point out several peep's in K.P.Phet alone that are not having a good time of it. Load's/hundred's more through out Thailand.

I gather by your post that you dont agree with what I say. If you think I'm wrong. Your very welcome to discuss. Preferably with some constructive criticism, as this will help all. It's nice to hear from other Farang's that don't have problem's. Or even one's that do.

Edited by fredob43

Well Fredob43 my experience is totally different from yours so I guess I will leave it at that.

Just because your's is ok does'nt mean that there are not other folk's with problem's that are living here. You might be one of the lucky one's I didnt say all were like It, just a lot. Normally caused by family.

If it's your first time living here best to be on the safe side. All I wish is for all people to be happy. Life is to short for problem's. If your clued up about things' that can happen it more than likely won't, or it'll at least give you a fighting chance as you would be one jump ahead.

I never said I had a problem on the contrary I'm a very happy chappy. Not had one bad word in over 12 year's, and laugh every day. But I can point out several peep's in K.P.Phet alone that are not having a good time of it. Load's/hundred's more through out Thailand.

I gather by your post that you dont agree with what I say. If you think I'm wrong. Your very welcome to discuss. Preferably with some constructive criticism, as this will help all. It's nice to hear from other Farang's that don't have problem's. Or even one's that do.

The majority of the farangs that I know around this end of Khampaeng Phet province up by the Mae Wong national park are pretty much a happy enough bunch of guys though I know of one who has a problem.

I am not saying that you are right or wrong as you are expressing your opinion as I expressed mine earlier.

There probably are many more throughout Thailand and I can't speak for them as I have been living out here onshore and offshore for about 7 years.

My mother in law has been living with us in a separate house for the last couple of years while my father in law still lives down in Bang Na in Bangkok where he keeps an eye on the other members of the family. Parts of the family usually come up for the holidays but mostly they stay down there away from the ban nok side of the family.

I used to support them but due to the exchange rate in the last year I stopped doing that in November but if things are needed then we help her parents and vice versa.

The problem is that you can choose your wife (and she you) but you can't choose the family that comes with them in Thailand or elsewhere for that matter.

I was married for 21 years to my UK wife but I felt stifled by the marriage and as I worked offshore around the world I met women from a few countries and Thailand was one of them. I met my current wife through work down in BKK and though she told me she had land in KP it was just a place on a map to me as I used to work over in Issan.

After 4 years in Thailand the job ended and I had to move to another country and as my UK wife was here at the time and asked me what I wanted I told her that I wanted a divorce so I could marry someone else.

In the subsequent divorce I kept my pensions and personal stuff and she got the rest.

A year or so later I remarried and have lived reasonably happily ever since.

We bought more land up here and built the house 7 years ago and since I retired nearly two years ago Thailand is now my home though it was before when I was here and offshore.

Will the marriage last?

Who knows, I am sure my first wife though so and I probably did for a long while.

I would agree with you and urge the OP to come over and live here out in the sticks and rent rather than buy land and build straight away. I would also agree with keeping the OP money etc offshore for quite a while and bring in what is necessary as and when required and also to learn how to speak Thai with reading and writing as a bonus.

I wish I could speak Thai far better than I do but out here good Thai teachers are rarer than the teeth on my hens and learning by CD is hard especially at my age.

To the OP, come over and try it out but be careful how you spend your money and don't throw it around as sure as hell you will have a long queue outside all waiting to help you spend it. Also have faith in your wife because you know her more than anybody else here.

Cheers

Nice to hear from someone that is doing OK. and happy with there lot. But everything over here is not all a bunch of rose's. From the visa set up having to report every 90 day's even if married. To the Thai xenophobic attitude toward's the Farang's. And even themselve's to wit the colour of your skin.

I have lived here full time for over 15 year's and am still surprised by the thing's I see and hear.

Agree with the language ie try and learn. What bugger's most is the tone's 5 in all. EG. Thai, Mi, Mi, Mi, Mi, Mi, all said in different tone's "English" New wood does'nt burn dose it. Yes I know not something you would use every day but now you know how easy it is, or not as the case may be.

I think you have to be very much in love or be happy with your lot to live out in the stick's. It's got to be a route march to even go shopping. Lack of a good TV set up is another thing, yes I know it can be got but for a price, even more than Blighty. Even computer speed is a major problem.

As far as the money side is concerned as you pointed out not cheap anymore at 48bt to the pound.

I agree with you, you can't pick the family. That's why I said be careful how close you live. In all my post I just try to be helpful and point out the thing's that can occur. Please Buddha they dont but best to be not looking at thing's through rose tinted glass's.

Like your situation with the ex wife, over here you end up with nothing if thing's go wrong.

Get it right and you will be happy, get it wrong and your in the du du's. Saying that would I live anyware else in the world. Not on your life. Even with all it's up's and down's.....Got a good dentist if you want to help out your old chicken's. Just a thought.

Fredob; Billd:

I've thought about what you both have posted, and I think I'll take advantage of your experience. I now plan on holding off on any land purchases, and rent for a couple of years. I want to try living on Koh Samui or somewhere similiar for a year and also try living near Khamphaeng Phet for a year. This gives me a chance to try both lifestyles and see which one works best for my wife and I. My wife and I will still have to decide which area to try first.)(

Next time I am up in the KP Phet area, I'll try and get in touch with you blokes (English word I think :lol:), I'd like to buy you a beer or a cup of joe (American word for coffee) or something.

Wishing you all the best.

Rick

Fredob; Billd:

I've thought about what you both have posted, and I think I'll take advantage of your experience. I now plan on holding off on any land purchases, and rent for a couple of years. I want to try living on Koh Samui or somewhere similiar for a year and also try living near Khamphaeng Phet for a year. This gives me a chance to try both lifestyles and see which one works best for my wife and I. My wife and I will still have to decide which area to try first.)(

Next time I am up in the KP Phet area, I'll try and get in touch with you blokes (English word I think :lol:), I'd like to buy you a beer or a cup of joe (American word for coffee) or something.

Rick

I dont know about the JOE, Glad to hear that you read our post's. Both side's of the coin so to speak, and have thought about what we said. About Koh-Samui hope your loaded with $/bt was a nice place 15 year's ago but now to many farang and built up, like Phuket to many problem's. Only one step up from Pattaya Just. Here it's a different set up all together no beach but we do have the river Ping. And very Thai, good shop's not to many place's to get Farang food but it can be got. But the main thing is it's half the price for most thing's. And about 75% cheaper to rent or Buy. In a word it's Thailand. The other place's are just in Thailand. Give both a try and you'll see what I mean. Total different way of life.

Fredob; Billd:

I've thought about what you both have posted, and I think I'll take advantage of your experience. I now plan on holding off on any land purchases, and rent for a couple of years. I want to try living on Koh Samui or somewhere similar for a year and also try living near Khamphaeng Phet for a year. This gives me a chance to try both lifestyles and see which one works best for my wife and I. My wife and I will still have to decide which area to try first.)(

Rick

I don't know about the JOE, Glad to hear that you read our post's. Both side's of the coin so to speak, and have thought about what we said. About Koh-Samui hope your loaded with $/bt was a nice place 15 year's ago but now to many farang and built up, like Phuket to many problem's. Only one step up from Pattaya Just. Here it's a different set up all together no beach but we do have the river Ping. And very Thai, good shop's not to many place's to get Farang food but it can be got. But the main thing is it's half the price for most thing's. And about 75% cheaper to rent or Buy. In a word it's Thailand. The other place's are just in Thailand. Give both a try and you'll see what I mean. Total different way of life.

I am up for that but it would be easier in KP as where I live there are no decent coffee shops and few bars as such which is OK for me but not necessarily so for a lot of expat retirees. Farang food would be in KP as well.

I think the farthest south I have been is Cha Am or Hua Hin other than flying to Nakhon Si Thammarat to buy my motorbike and coming back up to Bangkok by train on an overnight sleeper (but the bike went on a different train).

Fredob is lucky as he has the Ping river and I only have a klong which is almost dry now. On the other hand I do have the Mae Wong national park about 10km up the road and our land backs on to it as well.

I am happy enough here and I can always find things to do around the land and I go out now and again on my motorbike.

I have had enough of city life to make me glad to be out here though there are several things I miss, mainly bookshops and decent food once in a while but forget the overcrowding, traffic jams, pollution etc as it is something we don't see much here.

Best of luck to you.

Cheers

Bill

What bike did you get??? Used to be a biker many, many, year's ago now just got a Honda 125cc ok for round town and good for the wife, She's not getting her hand's on my Car.

Yes the book shop's I miss as well cant even find them in K.P.Phet, but can get the BKK post not the greatest thing on earth but better than nothing. Give's me a read 6 day's a week.

There are only two place's other than hotel's that you can get Farang food both run by German chap's nice peep's, one is better than the other. But make's a change now and again.

Lot's of nice coffee place's & bigC has a good food hall alas all Thai, but clean and cheap.

As you more than likely know K.Pang's not to bizzy, little bit of traffic at odd time's. But you expect that in a major Metropolis.

Sad to hear that the klong is drying up. We have one just over the road as luck would have it never dry's out, have tried to get the wife to wash in it, just to save on the water bill but so far no joy.

Have been out to the park but I only go just after the rainy season when the water fall's are at there best. Nice but just a little bit to quiet for me as a place to live but I can see the appeal. Where ever you live here has got to be 1,000,000 time's better than the tourist's spot's down south.

Fred.

Hi rick thai

by all means go to samui but not to live,as fred said 10 or 15 years ago yes

but now you will only have problems and no money.

also there are much nicer places than samui.

ps, dont give fred too much chang, it gives him a hangover?:drunk: .

GOOD LUCK.:cheesy:

Hi rick thai

by all means go to samui but not to live,as fred said 10 or 15 years ago yes

but now you will only have problems and no money.

also there are much nicer places than samui.

ps, dont give fred too much chang, it gives him a hangover?:drunk: .

GOOD LUCK.:cheesy:

Now listen here Kelvin you promised not to tell that I cant hold my "beer" and dont drink during the day. Well only if my mummy say's I can & it's Leo. Ok with Suprite though.

What bike did you get??? Used to be a biker many, many, year's ago now just got a Honda 125cc ok for round town and good for the wife, She's not getting her hand's on my Car.

Yes the book shop's I miss as well cant even find them in K.P.Phet, but can get the BKK post not the greatest thing on earth but better than nothing. Give's me a read 6 day's a week.

There are only two place's other than hotel's that you can get Farang food both run by German chap's nice peep's, one is better than the other. But make's a change now and again.

Lot's of nice coffee place's & bigC has a good food hall alas all Thai, but clean and cheap.

As you more than likely know K.Pang's not to bizzy, little bit of traffic at odd time's. But you expect that in a major Metropolis.

Sad to hear that the klong is drying up. We have one just over the road as luck would have it never dry's out, have tried to get the wife to wash in it, just to save on the water bill but so far no joy.

Have been out to the park but I only go just after the rainy season when the water fall's are at there best. Nice but just a little bit to quiet for me as a place to live but I can see the appeal. Where ever you live here has got to be 1,000,000 time's better than the tourist's spot's down south.

Fred.

I ride a Honda Phantom 200cc which is a good reliable bike but there are times I could do with a bit more poke as it were but buying something like an old Honda Steed means I need another bike if I have a problem with it as there isn't anybody who can fix them around here. The only one I know of is "owned" by a cop over in Klong Nam Lai but I have no idea what the plate is from, no green book either but I don't think he worries about that sort of thing.

I have never found any farang eatery up in KP yet but I haven't looked too hard either.

Cheers

Bill

Fred.

I ride a Honda Phantom 200cc which is a good reliable bike but there are times I could do with a bit more poke as it were but buying something like an old Honda Steed means I need another bike if I have a problem with it as there isn't anybody who can fix them around here. The only one I know of is "owned" by a cop over in Klong Nam Lai but I have no idea what the plate is from, no green book either but I don't think he worries about that sort of thing.

I have never found any farang eatery up in KP yet but I haven't looked too hard either.

Cheers

Bill

Right food Farang. The one in town is not to easy to find. But there's one on the edge, I assume that you come from your house to K.Pang and hit the BKK Tak 1 road at Toyota's, turn left toward's Tak, go over the bridge about half km turn first left by U/Turn 1.2/3km on the left. Before you get to turn you will see sign Pizza. His name is Mike nice bloke. Can cook most thing's Farang, has a Thai menu as well for the good lady. You can say Fred sent you he call's me ZE VANKER. Very nice Thai place. Have to got out so will continue later. Hope this help's.

Fred.

Cheers

Bill

Right food Farang. The one in town is not to easy to find. But there's one on the edge, I assume that you come from your house to K.Pang and hit the BKK Tak 1 road at Toyota's, turn left toward's Tak, go over the bridge about half km turn first left by U/Turn 1.2/3km on the left. Before you get to turn you will see sign Pizza. His name is Mike nice bloke. Can cook most thing's Farang, has a Thai menu as well for the good lady. You can say Fred sent you he call's me ZE VANKER. Very nice Thai place. Have to got out so will continue later. Hope this help's.

Seem To have got a double post from someware Oh well.The restaurant. Open's 7 day's a week 11am till10pm I know in a few week's he's off to BKK for a few day's, not a good time to go for Farang food a his Thai wife will be cooking it. If your not sure if he will be there you can phone first to check his No: is 0862806456. It's not expencive eg: large Leo 55bt.

Right the bike, seem powerful enough to me. My 125cc put's the fear of Buddha up me at time's, then again I'm used to the car. Took mine M/C to Mae Sot once enjoyed it, well except for the sore bum, took me several day's to get over it. But then again I'm old, and M/C was new so the seat hadn't bedded in. Needless to say not done it again. Air/con C/Control that's what it's all about for me now. Hope you give the restaurant a go. If you do give me a PM and will try and meet up. Or get Mike to phone me when you arrive.

Fred.